What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Belushi: "Animal House" or "Blues Brothers" (1 Viewer)

Favorite Scene

• Bluto's Speech

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Jake Seeing The Light

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Bluto Making His Way Through The Dining Hall

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Jake Singing Rawhide

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Other (List Your Scene)

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
Both are great.   I enjoy Animal House slightly more, but he was more of a central character in Blues Brothers.  

My concern with older comedies is that they don't age well because the jokes that were great then are just corny now.  Does Blues Brothers translate?
The music alone makes it worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
My concern with older comedies is that they don't age well because the jokes that were great then are just corny now.  Does Blues Brothers translate?
IMO, the Blues Brothers holds up better. Both are forerunners of comedies you're enjoying today. What sets the BB apart is the music.

John Vernon telling Bluto his GPA is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Link
My favorite part of that scene is when Dean Wormer tells Kroger that he has the highest GPA of the Delta pledges, with a D minus average, and the camera cuts to Belushi who arches his eyebrows in salute, in praise. 

My favorite part of that scene is when Dean Wormer tells Kroger that he has the highest GPA of the Delta pledges, with a D minus average, and the camera cuts to Belushi who arches his eyebrows in salute, in praise. 
I think it's just the disgust in Wormer's voice when addressing Blutarski that nails it for me, but I agree with you

Bluto's approach to sneaking the horse into Wormer's office is gold... around the 0:20s mark  as is him spying through the girls' dorm windows.  I won't link the latter as it would violate the latest Manifesto

His screen time was limited in AH so he could go nuts in every scene he was in.  AH for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Animal House and the thing is, is that Animal House is a really good movie without Belushi in it, with JB in it, it's an iconic movie.  Blues Brothers is great movie but, to me, it's a whole different kind of movie.  I love them both but if I had 100 points between the two, 51 for Animal House and 49 for Blues Brothers, it's that close to me.

Blues Brothers is in my top ten. There really isn't any one favorite "scene" - Belushi just did so many small things so perfectly all throughout the film. He's an ideal study in comic stoicism.

A lot of right answers here.

I picked Animal House and the horse prank on Dean Wormer.  

Ask me the same question next week, I might answer Blues Brothers and Jake sees the light.

I guess this is my way of saying the questions were well done, and I'm enjoying the responses.

The Deltas finding out their midterm grades?  Hilarious.

Jake talks his way past their stalker in the tunnel?  Genius.

The Pearl Harbor speech?  I'm giggling to myself thinking about Bluto's exit, and I've seen that clip over a hundred times.

I think I picked Animal House because I've never seen an actor generate so many laughs without dialogue in a movie (where talking out loud was an option) than Belushi as Bluto.

But wow, the combination of comedy, music, and action in Blues Brothers was something only Belushi at that time was capable of delivering.

Can I change my answer? 

Blues Brothers was way ahead of its time when it was released.  It was one of the first big-budget comedies.  You will need to accept the film in its time and place for the technology that was available and value of money and goods at the time it was made, but other than that IMO it has aged well.

I've never seen Blues Brothers.  Is it worth it?
YES!

If you have a burning curiosity about what it is like to fill out paperwork in Chicago, then the last ten minutes of "Blues Brothers" will make sense.  
Is this a euphemism for something?
The more I think about it...

...the more I am inclined to say, "It should be"...

...but with the PG rating here, I am disinclined to be more specific about it right now.

Terrible thread.

Next why dont you ask me to choose which of my kids I love more.
ya know..   its kinda what I was thinking too.   I have to go Animal House, because of the genre..  but man Dan n John killed it in BB   Aretha too https://youtu.be/Vet6AHmq3_s   WoW

Hope to see Jim's son do a remake..  think id appreciate BB redux   Don't think Animal House, would really work w todays fans  (I dunno if Porkys would for that matter)

I was reading something about a movie John was planning, which hasn't been filmed yet too.. 

"Animal House" could exist and still be a funny movie without Belushi, but "Blues Brothers" could not.
While maybe true, seems like a weird qualifier considering how far over the top JB's Bluto puts that movie compared to what it would be.

Greatness per second of screen time that might be one of the best roles ever.

Users who are viewing this thread