What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty makes you a better redraft player! (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
Pure and simple.  Want to become a better fantasy football player in your redraft leagues?  Join a dynasty league! 

I've been in redraft leagues since 1999.  I started a dynasty league in 2006.  Since 2006 I have noticed I draft and manage my redraft teams way better.  

dynasty leaguers research the beach out of rookies.  I have a distinct leg up on my competition in my redraft league BC of this.  

Just the other day a guy in my redraft league compared fournette to Eddie lacy, saying that he's a straight line runner with no speed or agility to his game.  That's the impression he has of fournette!  He's basing this off of almost no research.  I LOVE that he thinks this.  I know that a better comp for fournette might be Adrian Peterson, BC I have spent hours and hours researching him and watching game tape.  Redraft players don't do that!

because dynasty leaguers research rookies so much they also tend to follow players in the NFL that had promise as a rookie and a prolific college career, but who have not yet broken out.  They might put that player on their redraft team when they think their time is coming.  

Great example of this: last year marquess lee overtook Allen hurns as the #2 in Jax.  Redraft players were all in on hurns and totally dismissed lee.  Dynasty leaguers knew that lee was a prolific college wr who has just been hampered by injury to start his NFL career. They also knew that jax had way more invested in lee than hurns (draft wise), and that they wanted lee to work out.  

I had lee on my team in my redraft league before the hurns owner knew what hit him. 

Has anyone else had this experience? That being a dynasty player makes you way better at hitting the lottery with picks in your redraft leagues?

So which rookies are you high on in redraft this year? Which rookies are you down on? And what players who haven't broken out yet who were studs in college are you drafting this year?

I agree on the whole that dynasty play can strengthen the art of a fantasy footballer, but a novice dynasty owner also has to watch out for letting dynasty analysis slip into their redraft game.

I see plenty of dynasty owners avoid older stars in redraft leagues, for instance, or overdraft rookies. 

Experience is the best teacher, dynasty or redraft.

I find that playing dynasty makes you a worse redraft player.  Dynasty players tend to pay too much attention to rookies when they play in a redraft league and that almost always hurts them.

I think it boils down to research. Since I play dynasty, I am researching all year. That gives me a big advantage against those guys starting now with their research.

I find that playing dynasty makes you a worse redraft player.  Dynasty players tend to pay too much attention to rookies when they play in a redraft league and that almost always hurts them.
Think Id kinda agree with JohnnyU here a bit..  I know its a curse, to expect too much from Rookies..

I think the way that Dynasty really would help, is actually inconclusive..  Heres an example..  I was reading the Evans thread, and someone posts something like  " Id take Jordy before Evans"  I dunno what exactly, maybe I was chuckling something like,,  Oh dear, All that Arod love, and yeah their buddies too.  Then someone explained the stance..  The numbers were there!  Its an explosive offense that moves the ball down the field..  Wheels don't usually fall off in one Season too..  Its a known commodity.  I'm saying that a Great Dynasty player, would probably be well aware of expected stats for the Season.. (not just focused on their Dynasty Ranking)   A slight lean towards Jordy would possibly be correct..  A questionable Dynasty player (such as myself) would be like:  OH, Evans is uber Elite, Hope he falls to my pick!  (Thinking stuff like, Whose to say, hes come close too Plateauing)

Speculating?  I would suggest Dynasty players, active in trade markets, would perform well in redraft..  I would think that's much more important, than just the research angle alone..

I agree on the whole that dynasty play can strengthen the art of a fantasy footballer, but a novice dynasty owner also has to watch out for letting dynasty analysis slip into their redraft game.

I see plenty of dynasty owners avoid older stars in redraft leagues, for instance, or overdraft rookies. 

Experience is the best teacher, dynasty or redraft.

Yep. It's not just rookies though. Young players with "potential" tend to go too high in redraft when you're playing with dynasty owners. 

Great great comments here guys!  I am a seasoned fantasy player in redraft AND in dynasty.  It didn't even occur to me that there might be some newbie dynasty players who actually perform worse in redraft BC they might be overvaluing rookies and deep sleepers.  

For me, I'm able to separate dyno and redraft formats easily in my mind and value players accordingly.  The jordy/mike Evans example in a post above is a great example. Dyno it's Evans by 100 miles.   Redraft it's Jordy by a decent amount. You have to be able to value players differently and objectively according to league format and scoring. For any league. 

Regarding the fournette-ap comp.  I'm not saying I think fournette is the next ap.  But he does have some of the qualities that ap had coming out of college.  The size/speed/agility combo.  The vicious running style.  He's more ap than he is lacy if I had to guess based on what I've seen in his tape.  

Regarding rookies that I'm high o this year that guys in my redraft league might be undervaluing:

1) samaje Perine - he was a freaking bulldozer in college and actually can catch the ball too.  He fits grudens style of Rb.  I'm not sold on rob Kelly as the starter all year.  Perine is way more talented.  He will be a factor early on in short yardage and gl work if not splitting reps with Kelly and I can see him completely overtaking Kelly this season and winning people some leagues like Jordan Howard last year. 

2) zay jones - supremely talented all around wr.   Great route runner. Great hands.  Decent speed.  Good size. we could be looking at buffalo's wr1 depending on watkins' health this year.   And even if Watkins stays healthy all year there will be enough production to make jones a solid wr2/3.  And he can be had very cheap in redraft.  

3) I think fournette and dalvin cook have the opportunities this year to return 1st round value at 2nd-3rd and 5th-6th round price tags in redraft.  

As far as players that I have been watching in dynasty and patiently waiting: 

first that comes to mind is Jonathan williams, Rb, bills.  He will be more than just a handcuff.  He's a very talented back that was coming off injury last season and buried on the depth chart.  Look at what gillislee did last season as mccoys backup.  That's is possible for williams and if McCoy goes down williams can be a league winner. And he can be had in late rounds.  

rickyg said:
. Regarding the fournette-ap comp.  I'm not saying I think fournette is the next ap.  But he does have some of the qualities that ap had coming out of college.  The size/speed/agility combo.  The vicious running style.  He's more ap than he is lacy if I had to guess based on what I've seen in his tape.  
I disagree with this and your clueless redraft friend (as you characterize him) may be more correct than you realize.

I would say he is more similar to Lacy than Peterson as far as his size and play style. Fournette does not have Petersons speed or agility (although he is better than Lacy in these categories)

Peterson 4.41 speed at 217 lbs 

Lacy 4.64 speed at 231 lbs

Fournette  4.51 speed at 240 lbs

The greatest similarity between Fournette and Peterson is that they were both top 10 NFL draft picks. They are both powerful runners able to break tackles and gain good yards after contact. Peterson has better breakaway speed than Fournette however and as I mentioned, a very good jump cut (Peterson can string together multiple cuts like this in succession if needed) that I haven't seen from Fournette. Fournette has good footwork and can stagger his steps to cause poor angles for defenders (Peterson can do this too) but he does not have the extreme change of direction ability that Peterson has always had.

I disagree with this and your clueless redraft friend (as you characterize him) may be more correct than you realize.

I would say he is more similar to Lacy than Peterson as far as his size and play style. Fournette does not have Petersons speed or agility (although he is better than Lacy in these categories)

Peterson 4.41 speed at 217 lbs 

Lacy 4.64 speed at 231 lbs

Fournette  4.51 speed at 240 lbs

The greatest similarity between Fournette and Peterson is that they were both top 10 NFL draft picks. They are both powerful runners able to break tackles and gain good yards after contact. Peterson has better breakaway speed than Fournette however and as I mentioned, a very good jump cut (Peterson can string together multiple cuts like this in succession if needed) that I haven't seen from Fournette. Fournette has good footwork and can stagger his steps to cause poor angles for defenders (Peterson can do this too) but he does not have the extreme change of direction ability that Peterson has always had.
It would be foolish to say he is the next AP. No one can know that.  

But his college tape impresses me way more than Eddie Lacey's did. He has more agility than lacy.  

Do you know what else jumps out at me about fournette re; the 40 times you posted?  

9lbs heavier than lacy and .14 faster. 

23lbs heavier than AP and only .1 slower.  

Do you know hard it is for a 240lb Rb to run a 4.51???  Fournette has the speed to take it to the house on any touch.   Lacy not so much.  

In the end, no one will truly know Unik the season starts.  Fournette is on a bad team with a bad but Improving o line.  We will see.  I'm putting my eggs in his basket in my rookie draft.  I think he is the embodiment of a true 3 down back and the closest prospect to AP since AP.   

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  Won't be the first time! :)

Fournette is fast and I agree he is a better player than Lacy as a prospect. Lacy wasn't even the first RB selected in his draft class, 3 others were taken before him, and there were no 1st round RB picks that year.

Based on their careers Bell was the best and Lacy second. As far as combine metrics go Christine Michael was the super star there. That hasn't worked out so well for him.

I only used those guys because they were the examples given. Lacy actually has some decent change of direction ability for the style of player he is. A good spin move as well. I think Fournette is better than Lacy as far as that goes, but Peterson even further from Fournette in terms of change of direction ability than Fournette is from Lacy imo.

I have a hard time with any comparison to Peterson, as he was (maybe still is) a very special RB.

Look no further than the player threads in this forum to witness how dynasty homerism has a Negative impact on ones ability to objectively evaluate players for redraft.  

I think Trip makes a good point as far as ownership bias towards specific players that dynasty owners have rostered on their teams.

Being a mostly dynasty focused person myself, I have found that perspective getting in my way during redrafts in the past. It is usually me being surprised with a player who is highly valued in dynasty falling as far as they do in redraft and being tempted to take that player because of my perspective on the value. I have recognized this however and I think I am less prone to that now than I have been in the past, where I would find redraft more challenging.

The Evans vs Nelson example is a good one to illustrate this I think. Nelson being older does not have as much long term value as a player such as Evans. But this does not matter at all for redraft, as long as you are confident that Nelson won't decline this season. Some dynasty perspective drafters may be more concerned about a decline from Nelson than a person from a redraft perspective. Some times information like this can get in the way of a dynasty owner.

kutta said:
I think it boils down to research. Since I play dynasty, I am researching all year. That gives me a big advantage against those guys starting now with their research.
I think this is what helps the most. With dynasty, there is no offseason, so I'm always reading up on players, teams, situations, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread