What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you like your steak cooked? (1 Viewer)

What says you?

• Rare

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • Medium Rare

Votes: 167 64.5%
  • Medium

Votes: 59 22.8%
  • Medium Well

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Well Done

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • I don't eat steak

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Prefer medium rare, but typically order medium at a restaurant I am unsure what their definition of medium rare is. 

Medium rare but starting to order it rare to ensure I get a medium rare.  I'd rather err towards rare than medium 

There is really no other answer here other than Medium Rare.  Warm red center roughly 125 degrees.  Mmmmm steak!

Prefer medium rare, but typically order medium at a restaurant I am unsure what their definition of medium rare is. 
I do the same unless it's a top tier steakhouse; they should know what they're doing. I really hate biting into a steak that's raw inside, then I've got to be "that guy" and send it back, and sit there watching everyone else eat. Slightly overdone isn't usually a dealbreaker.

A good friend that worked in a nice steakhouse said that anyone ordering a steak medium-well or well done got the ####tiest or oldest cut of steak they had.
Last time I ate at Outback (and I mean, last time ever), they served me a grey, gristley filet that I could smell was an old cut. I didn't have to taste it to know it was bad. It had to have been obviously rancid before they put it on the grill. I didn't even trust my cocktail after that, just wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP.

Medium rare but starting to order it rare to ensure I get a medium rare.  I'd rather err towards rare than medium 
I've heard the term "Rare plus" to describe this doneness. A little under med-rare is perfect for me especially with high end restaurants. 

I go medium rare when it's cooked exactly to my order.  If I'm out I'll often order Medium as I really don't like meat grossly undercooked (not due to health reasons, but because it's just too chewy).

I've gotten so good at grilling Costco's Ribeye steaks that I don't usually even order steak out anymore.  I can do it better at home.

I grew up eating medium because that's what my parents ate. A few years back, my wife and I were at a nice local steak place so I tried medium rare on a whim. 

One of the few true life changing experiences. :thumbup:  

There is really no other answer here other than Medium Rare.  Warm red center roughly 125 degrees.  Mmmmm steak!
That is the definition of a rare steak, although not a Pittsburgh rare which is still cold in the center.   A medium-rare is more in the 130-140 range where the center is red to pink but starting to firm up (cooked).  If it is still soft red, which it will be in the 120-125 range, it is generally considered rare. 

Last time I ate at Outback (and I mean, last time ever), they served me a grey, gristley filet that I could smell was an old cut. I didn't have to taste it to know it was bad. It had to have been obviously rancid before they put it on the grill. I didn't even trust my cocktail after that, just wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP.
You didn't send that s*** back?

Oh sometimes medium well.  Expensive steaks too.  Suck it. 
Why would we "suck it" when you admittedly buy an expensive cut of meat then proceed to ruin it? You should really show everyone and roll it around the floor a bit before you eat. Take that, clean food eaters!!!!!

That is the definition of a rare steak, although not a Pittsburgh rare which is still cold in the center.   A medium-rare is more in the 130-140 range where the center is red to pink but starting to firm up (cooked).  If it is still soft red, which it will be in the 120-125 range, it is generally considered rare. 
My grandfather used to order Pittsburgh style. Partly because he liked it that way, but mostly so he could show up the waiter and make a scene when most of them didn't know what Pittsburgh style was. Good times! 

You didn't send that s*** back?
I absolutely did and they took it off our bill. They asked if I wanted something else but I had lost my appetite and didn't trust anything coming out of that kitchen. If your job is to cook steak and you let that go to a customer....now I'm getting pissed off again just reliving it. #### you, Outback. 

I go the other way.  In my experience, places tend to under cook the steak.  That way, if a customer sends it back, they don't need to start over, they can just cook it a couple more minutes.  So I order medium, and it typically comes medium rare. 

My grandfather used to order Pittsburgh style. Partly because he liked it that way, but mostly so he could show up the waiter and make a scene when most of them didn't know what Pittsburgh style was. Good times! 
I assumed it meant charred, with mustard

Guys ain't gonna believe this.  But some folks won't deliver a well done steak    Think the kicker is that they gotta at least sometimes have it cross their mind that I could chuck them up on the grill

Seriously. You ain't eating it.  I dam sure don't care to have you watch me eat

Why ya think to upset.   Some sob refused too cook ya meat half cooked and ya got burned?   It wasn't me brah.   Cook that chit the way Im paying you too cook it.   OR refuse service.. Ya can even send burned.  But don't waste our time    Do not waste food.  I like it, and yeah some ketchup soaks up nice too

Medium rare - thankfully I finally convinced my wife after years of getting them well done to switch to medium.  She still won't do medium rare but she's not eating charred rubber any more.

:no:

I voted medium. We had steaks 2 weeks ago when the the in laws were in town. It was hilarious watching my husband and mother in law argue about her steak. It had the smallest section of pink on the the thickest part of the steak. She yelled at him and told him she could get E coli.

The argument ended with her only eatting the salad and my husband said "Why are you eatting that salad, you can get E coli from the lettuce."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten so good at grilling Costco's Ribeye steaks that I don't usually even order steak out anymore.  I can do it better at home.
I agree with this.  Rarely order steak on business trips anymore.  Rather have good seafood.  Harder for me to replicate at home.  Steaks are easy.

I agree with this.  Rarely order steak on business trips anymore.  Rather have good seafood.  Harder for me to replicate at home.  Steaks are easy.
I agree to a point.  Will default to seafood in coastal areas.  Would still default to steaks in Nebraska, West Texas, etc

I go medium rare when it's cooked exactly to my order.  If I'm out I'll often order Medium as I really don't like meat grossly undercooked (not due to health reasons, but because it's just too chewy).

Agreed.  I don't think a good backyarder can compete with a dry aged steak cooked at a fancy joint but those are $50 plus steaks....just the steak.  You can get 2 family packs of Ribeyes at Costco for that price and they are very good hunks of meat.

I'd rather go out for seafood or something not easily replicated at home.

I used to order medium, but started ordering medium rare to ensure it wasn't done well.  That being said, I appreciate the randomness of getting a decent rare sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread