Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
prosopis

Ozark on Netflix

Recommended Posts

Anyone watching this series?

Ozark is an American drama series created by Bill Dubuque.[1][2] The first season comprises ten one-hour episodes produced by Media Rights Capital.[3] Jason Bateman stars in the series and directed half of the episodes.[4] Bateman portrays financial planner Marty Byrde, who suddenly relocates from a Chicago suburb to a summer resort community in the Missouri Ozarks,[5] and who must pay off a debt to a Mexican drug lord, with Laura Linney playing his wife Wendy.[6] The first season was released on Netflix on July 21, 2017.[7]

I got hooked pretty quick. I am not a big fan of Jason Bateman and I think he gets way to many gigs. However he is pretty damn good in this. It's worth checking out.

I had to look up the age of the girl who plays his daughter and kind of wish I had'n't. She sure is pretty though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the positive talk in the Netflix thread as well, going to have to look into this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in the Missouri Ozarks.  Curious to know if this was actually filmed in the area or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

I live in the Missouri Ozarks.  Curious to know if this was actually filmed in the area or not.

It was filmed around Allatoona Lake in Georgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, simey said:

It was filmed around Allatoona Lake in Georgia.

I've only seen the first episode so far. Was the ending of that one in the Ozarks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After one episode I'm lukewarm. Will likely give it a shot at least through the first 2-3. Pretty good acting, rather cliched story so far but there is potential.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jamny said:

I've only seen the first episode so far. Was the ending of that one in the Ozarks?

The scene with them on the cliff at the end of episode one is in the Ozarks. That cliff is called Lover's Leap, and it's in the Linn Creek area of MO. Most of filming was done primarily around Allatoona Lake and Lake Lanier in Georgia. Some scenes were also filmed in Atlanta. For tax reasons it was cheaper to film in Georgia than Missouri. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa, thanks for the tip nerds. This first episode sure is a jackpot of drama & suspense. :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am three episodes in  and still liking it. I like Bateman's character. I am suspicious of the old man that came with their house. He is being used as comedy relief but I am guessing he turns out to be bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

 rather cliched story so far

yeah wow does this kind of thing happen ALL THE TIME 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, simey said:

The scene with them on the cliff at the end of episode one is in the Ozarks. That cliff is called Lover's Leap, and it's in the Linn Creek area of MO. Most of filming was done primarily around Allatoona Lake and Lake Lanier in Georgia. Some scenes were also filmed in Atlanta. For tax reasons it was cheaper to film in Georgia than Missouri. 

Good job, Missouri Hillbillies. I'll bet you guys are rolling in tax revenue from the film industry.

Edited by Mister CIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good acting weak writing so far. I'm about 5 EPs in and the stereotypes just keep coming. Feeling like a swing and a miss to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on about episode 8

pretty good show with humor and suspense mixed in. I can tell its about to get real gewd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ep4 question

Who are the people who killed the guy who used to own the strip club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ep2...sorry, those hillbillies would have just shot him. Still enjoying though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jamny said:

Ep2...sorry, those hillbillies would have just shot him. Still enjoying though.

The show's got some plot holes you could drive an aircraft carrier through, but it's mindless fun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McGarnicle said:

The show's got some plot holes you could drive an aircraft carrier through, but it's mindless fun. 

Namely, I'll take my $8 million, go on the lam, and take my chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Namely, I'll take my $8 million, go on the lam, and take my chances.

Or after the cops raid the strip club, they don't clear & secure the building, leaving Ruth alone to mess around with the safe? Then Bateman can blab about money laundering with strip club dude at the jail and not worry about it being recorded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

After one episode I'm lukewarm. Will likely give it a shot at least through the first 2-3. Pretty good acting, rather cliched story so far but there is potential.

 

Kinda feel the same way. It didn't grab me right away, but I think it could be good. Kind of reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad with the storyline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

Ep4 question

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Who are the people who killed the guy who used to own the strip club?

 

you will find out soon. they become huge players in the show

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just finished the show last night. The season ender was pretty good. I can already tell next season will be awesome

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw the trailer last week and added it to my List :blackdot: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MattFancy said:

Kinda feel the same way. It didn't grab me right away, but I think it could be good. Kind of reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad with the storyline.

Kind of feels like a combo of BB, true detective, bloodlines and justified to me.  I have three episodes to go... Overall I like it but I think it was episode 6 that had me rolling my eyes a few times at the dialogue and story lines.

Edited by peaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the remaining episodes will be an enjoyable ride. If we can see the daughter in her short shorts again, that would be excellent too. :popcorn: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only a couple episodes in, but I'm digging it so far. I like that fact that Bateman's character thinks like a criminal but realizes he doesn't have the carnality to live a gangster's life, so he compensates by reasoning and talking his way out of problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 11:28 AM, McGarnicle said:

Sounds like the remaining episodes will be an enjoyable ride. If we can see the daughter in her short shorts again, that would be excellent too. :popcorn: 

Um, she was 17 when this was filmed...  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw the first episode.  its good.  looking forward to watching a few more this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Um, she was 17 when this was filmed...  :unsure:

Perfect. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 9:02 AM, peaces said:

Kind of feels like a combo of BB, true detective, bloodlines and justified to me.  I have three episodes to go... Overall I like it but I think it was episode 6 that had me rolling my eyes a few times at the dialogue and story lines.

I think that is the episode I watched last night and I agree. I am still enjoying the show but it's starting to have to much going on. The fishing buddies seem real strange to me, I'm not buying that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best first episodes of any show I've seen. Definitely hooked, halfway through now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2017 at 11:08 PM, jamny said:

Ep2...sorry, those hillbillies would have just shot him. Still enjoying though.

So far, (Ep 6), that and how he got the strip club are the two hardest things to swallow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife and I watched first 3 episodes last night. Both of us liked it and will continue watching. I enjoyed it so far, interesting characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK maybe I am dumb but how does inflating expenses help him launder money?  He has to have set up a bunch of dummy companies providing the fake goods and services, right?  Wouldn't that have required a ton of work and some degree of legitimacy to provide the right cover for each of those businesses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...the biggest plot hole for me was...

 

Your long time business partner goes missing/dies.  The very next day you drain 8 million dollars from all of your accounts (assuming business accounts) and the day after that you pack up and move your family to Missouri and the police have no questions for you?  That was a bit ridiculous

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 in and still enjoying it. The blonde girl from The Americans is good in it

I could do without seeing a guy blow another guy though. Does every show have to have some gay storyline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamny said:

3 in and still enjoying it. The blonde girl from The Americans is good in it

I could do without seeing a guy blow another guy though. Does every show have to have some gay storyline?

It's not a big deal to me, but it does seem like there are more gay people on TV than actually live in America.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 9:26 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

After one episode I'm lukewarm. Will likely give it a shot at least through the first 2-3. Pretty good acting, rather cliched story so far but there is potential.

 

 

Why don't you shut your tamale hole.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

 

Why don't you shut your tamale hole.

 

4 episodes in and I'm not sure I'll get to the 5th. I've got no mind to trash the show in here, so will just say I read Sepinwall's review and I think he nailed it for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

4 episodes in and I'm not sure I'll get to the 5th. I've got no mind to trash the show in here, so will just say I read Sepinwall's review and I think he nailed it for me. 

Agree. He really nailed it. I was ready to walk away after 3 episodes but I stuck it out for the wife   We have one episode left. 

I will say there are a few really good performances here, but the writing - plot and dialogue both - is pretty rough to sit through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other criticism I forgot about

Why do we have to have a some psycho, ego-maniac, sociopathic FBI Agent or cop in every show like this?

That trope seems extremely played out to this point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.