What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (2 Viewers)

With the long weekend I may have to marathon season 2 Sunday and Monday.

Been waiting for this to return. Previews look fantastic 

I'm really looking forward to season 2... I probably watched season 1 three times over the past year.

I'm seriously dreading Ruth's dad entering the fray though.  :oldunsure:

But I'm looking forward to seeing Rachel reappear - I may or may not be oddly attracted to her :wub:  

TheWalkmen said:
Season 2 tonight at midnight?
Not till Midnight tonight? Crap! I was hoping to knock out an episode or two tonight with the wife and be free and clear for the Michigan/ND game tomorrow night. I just assumed it would be at 7 or 8.  :rant:

I was wondering if you were a fan, JRod. A lot closer depiction of SMo than Three Billboards, eh? Like it?
I do enjoy the show, but mostly because it reminds me of Breaking Bad than reminding me of home.

In reality, there are some regions nearby very similar to the show Ozark, but not my immediate area of Springfield.  Three Billboards to me felt more like a Western town (Colorado/Wyoming) than any place I've been in Missouri.

MO is really a bit odd in that it has several distinct regions that don't have a lot of interaction:

• St. Louis - much more like Chicago/Memphis than the rest of the state.  More diverse, heavy Catholic population, pro-Dem & unions.
  • Kansas City - much more western and has more in common with Denver/OKC than St. Louis.  Fairly conservative for a large city.
  • Southeast MO - pretty much 100% Southern.  Heavy accents, southern food and the Mississippi River.
  • Southwest MO (where I'm from) - Super conservative and about 98% white.  Sometimes called the buckle of the Bible belt (but lots of meth as well).  Very outdoorsy.
  • Central MO (Jefferson City/Columbia/Lake of the Ozarks) - You have the state capitol, Missouri University and the Lake the show is based on all within an hour of one another.  This whole area ebbs and flows with the time of year (state gov in session, school in session, Summer on the lake, etc.)  More money and corruption per capita than the rest of the state.
  • Northern MO - Basically southern Iowa.  Almost nothing but farmland north of I-70.

Man, this show is friggin DARK.  Not in content, but in lack of brightness.  Can barely tell who's in the scene at times.  So good though. 

cockroach said:
Holy crap!  Has anyone else noticed that the symbols in the O at the beginning form shapes of Z A R K everytime?!
Hmmm, I always look for the symbols in the show but didn't realize that.

Also didn't realize that James Delos in Westworld was the old dude here.

After some work travel and not being around home much this week, I essentially turned off the phone after clocking out and binged S2 yesterday. Very much like Breaking Bad in that it features some very smart idiots who keep getting deeper and deeper in the sh#t. Great show.

Hmmm, I always look for the symbols in the show but didn't realize that.
Some are a bit of a stretch, but we went back and looked at a bunch when my GF noticed and that's definitely what they're going for.  The fried chicken in the shape of a K in ep 2.8 was the tipoff. 

James Daulton said:
That old, drug making, farmer's wife has a killer body.  Would happily bang in the dark. 
You ought to really enjoy S2 E3 then...or perhaps that episode was the inspiration for your comment?

Anybody know how long we will have to wait for a 3rd season?  That is the problem with binge watching this stuff.  I am through 6 episodes in season 2 and I want to watch more, but I also I hate that I will basically be done with the season after a weekend.  Maybe I should slow my roll a little.

Jacob Snell is so intriguing. Best character in the show by far IMO. I’m only through episode 1 of season 2, but Ruth and her dad seems like it’s going to get weird.

Jacob Snell is so intriguing. Best character in the show by far IMO. I’m only through episode 1 of season 2, but Ruth and her dad seems like it’s going to get weird.
Ruth's character definitely takes some developmental twists along the way.  I am through S2 E7 and it will be interesting to see which Ruth emerges in the end.

Binged watch Season 2 yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Darlene is fascinating to watch as her mind operates on it own plane, which is far different then everybody else's plane.

Through episode 2.  The political angle is pretty fascinating.  It is like they are tying a little bit of House of Cards in with Breaking Bad.

Through Episode 3.  Julia Garner as Ruth has been, for me, the breakout.  Was thinking as I watched Episode 3 last night how much the show benefits from Ruth and Wyatt's stories as a heartbeat.  Show has a ton of nuance and interesting characters.  Glad to see an eye twitch relating to a later episode, and thanks for no spoilers.
I just finished S2E1 last night so perhaps it turns, but I feel the exact opposite about Ruth.  Her role is so sterotypical in aspects and far too unbelieveable in others that I think she's by far the worst character on the show.  The overacting just makes it worse.  

:shrug:   

Season 2 was fantastic - liked it more than 1st season.

The women on this show are just evil. Darlene beating her husband to the punch was terrific.

Will there be a Season 3?
I hope so.  There's an awful lot of unanswered questions and unresolved stories for there not to be a season 3, but oddly, there was no huge cliffhanger to end season 2.

I'm about half way through Season 2.  The only thing that's really bothering me is Wendy Byrde (the wife) looks like Martha Stewart and they're putting her in the sexy scenes.  The actress is 54, she's at about 10-15 years too old for the part.  I had a hard time believing this millionaire dude in what looks like his early 40s really wants to bang this chic.

I'm about half way through Season 2.  The only thing that's really bothering me is Wendy Byrde (the wife) looks like Martha Stewart and they're putting her in the sexy scenes.  The actress is 54, she's at about 10-15 years too old for the part.  I had a hard time believing this millionaire dude in what looks like his early 40s really wants to bang this chic.
Did you skip episode 3 when Darlene had her moment to shine?  I hear you, though.  We need Ruth and Charlotte to get some action.

I just finished S2E1 last night so perhaps it turns, but I feel the exact opposite about Ruth.  Her role is so sterotypical in aspects and far too unbelieveable in others that I think she's by far the worst character on the show.  The overacting just makes it worse.  

She does this thing (usually when she's talking to her dad) where she frowns and looks like a muppet.

I just did a google image search of her to see if I could find her doing it and WOW, she's a total smoke show when she's not rocking that Top Ramen hairdo.  Boioioioioing!

I'm not reading the thread cuz i dont like to binge so have only watched the first two eps of the new season. The S2 opener was wonderful, but 2.2 was awful. Everybody & everything was so ugly i'm not rooting for anybody anymore. That's not good.

Finished watching last night.

Ruth is, by far, my favorite character.  The writers really gave her a good story line this season, and is probably the only character with any real depth.  Tough Redneck, Vulnerable little girl, Mother-figure, Capable of running a mob-like operation.

I initially like the lawyer - but very one-dimensional, she never grew on me.

Byrdes

Marty - Maybe most consistent character since S1E1 - just a numbers guy, non-confrontational, constantly looking for the next move.

Wendy - in a show where not many things ring true, one thing that stood out to me as true was the interaction between Marty and Wendy: they both are very good at one aspect (accounting/lobbying) and they both use that expertise to think they are very good at other aspects (they are not).  That seems like a very real scenario where they were constantly fighting for "control" of the situation - both doing what they do well, and ####### up everything else.)

Charlotte - I really wanted to punch her in the throat on multiple occasions.  least favorite character.

Jonah - he had a good season.  I liked where they went with him - following in dad's footsteps.  Loved the funeral scene.

Langmores

Ruth - best character in the show. 

Wyatt - kind of grew on me as the season went on - I liked that they showed his struggles with being a Langmore, and his Dad's death.

Three - who?

Cade - it was pretty clear early on that he only had 2 possible outcomes to his story arc.  Did not like his character, but it was believable, and fit the narrative.

Snell's

Darlene - liked the flashback to when they first met - set the stage of who wore the pants in the family.  Good "bad" character - you don't like her, but you kind of understand where she is coming from.

Jacob - Flashback did a little disservice to Jacob imo - because it was hard to see how he went from that scene, to being the redneck drug lord he became.

Others

Petty - Pety man.  Pity.

Rachel - I thought she was less rednecky in Season 1, but I could be misremembering.

Buddy - felt more like a plot device than a character.  Need a connection to the Mob - get Buddy.  Need someone to burn the poppies - get Buddy.  Need to explore the feelings of the characters - get Buddy.  Need a place to stash $43M - get Buddy.  I did like the bond he formed with Jonah - added a little depth to the story of living in Buddy's house.

Wilkes - meh. Believable character - kind of guy who makes things happen in back smokey rooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished watching last night.

Ruth is, by far, my favorite character.  The writers really gave her a good story line this season, and is probably the only character with any real depth.  Tough Redneck, Vulnerable little girl, Mother-figure, Capable of running a mob-like operation.

I initially like the lawyer - but very one-dimensional, she never grew on me.

Byrdes

Marty - Maybe most consistent character since S1E1 - just a numbers guy, non-confrontational, constantly looking for the next move.

Wendy - in a show where not many things ring true, one thing that stood out to me as true was the interaction between Marty and Wendy: they both are very good at one aspect (accounting/lobbying) and they both use that expertise to think they are very good at other aspects (they are not).  That seems like a very real scenario where they were constantly fighting for "control" of the situation - both doing what they do well, and ####### up everything else.)

Charlotte - I really wanted to punch her in the throat on multiple occasions.  least favorite character.

Jonah - he had a good season.  I liked where they went with him - following in dad's footsteps.  Loved the funeral scene.

Langmores

Ruth - best character in the show. 

Wyatt - kind of grew on me as the season went on - I liked that they showed his struggles with being a Langmore, and his Dad's death.

Three - who?

Cade - it was pretty clear early on that he only had 2 possible outcomes to his story arc.  Did not like his character, but it was believable, and fit the narrative.

Snell's

Darlene - liked the flashback to when they first met - set the stage of who wore the pants in the family.  Good "bad" character - you don't like her, but you kind of understand where she is coming from.

Jacob - Flashback did a little disservice to Jacob imo - because it was hard to see how he went from that scene, to being the redneck drug lord he became.

Others

Petty - Pety man.  Pity.

Rachel - I thought she was less rednecky in Season 1, but I could be misremembering.

Buddy - felt more like a plot device than a character.  Need a connection to the Mob - get Buddy.  Need someone to burn the poppies - get Buddy.  Need to explore the feelings of the characters - get Buddy.  Need a place to stash $43M - get Buddy.  I did like the bond he formed with Jonah - added a little depth to the story of living in Buddy's house.

Wilkes - meh. Believable character - kind of guy who makes things happen in back smokey rooms.
Spot on.  I agree with most of this character analysis.  One point of disagreement though is that I don't find the Wilkes character very believable.  Not that such people couldn't exist, behind the scenes movers and shakers most certainly do.  But he just seems too convenient.  Too easily accessible.  To me he is sort of like your assessment of Buddy, he exists to move the plot along and make connections that would otherwise be too big of a reach.

This show is almost BB level. I just don't get why their house is so dark all the time. 
Answer found here: https://decider.com/2018/08/30/why-ozark-is-so-dark/  

Also, from an interview with cinematographer Pepe Avila del Pino... https://nofilmschool.com/2017/07/subconsciously-creating-more-cinematic-show-pepe-avila-del-pino-dp-ozark

NFS: The blue-tinted color palette wound up being something of a defining trait. Did you use any gels or filters to achieve that look?

del Pino: No, not really. The only thing we did was that we shot everything at 4,400 Kelvin temperature, interiors and exteriors, day and night likewise. And because we tried different color temperatures when we were doing tests, we saw that using that setup would give us the most ability to keep that consistent cooler grayish/blueish palette. But no filtration.

NFS: And the lighting really stood out too. There are a lot of shadows involved. What was your lighting strategy?

del Pino: I talked a lot with Roshelle to establish that. We tried to do a lot with practical. 

The scene in the warehouse where Del is killing all of Marty’s associates was a good one. That was an empty warehouse, and there’s a bunch of ways to approach that, but we placed fluorescent tubes all around. They’re in almost every frame, and they give us a sense of space in this big, dark room. It doesn’t feel lit like a Hollywood film, so it keeps this gritty and dark mood. 

And for day interiors, one thing that I pitched to Jason was to let the shadows fall and let the darkness take over a little bit of the frame, even if it’s a bright day outside. That gives a sense that there’s some sort of hiding. Kind of like when you go into a cave, and the only light is coming from outside, and it's falling fast into darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread