What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Long Weekend in Minneapolis - what to do? (1 Viewer)

Moe.

Footballguy
I'll be in Minneapolis next weekend, arrive late Thursday night, leave early Monday morning. Only thing planned so far is a Twins game on Friday night and quick wedding reception on Saturday afternoon. I will probably sneak in a round or two of disc golf on Sunday morning. Otherwise we have nothing planned. We are staying downtown, not far from the stadium. Just my wife and I, we are 32 years old. Our interests are alcohol and food. According to TripAdvisor Minnehaha Park and the Minneapolis Institute of Art are the top attractions. We will probably go to the park Friday morning and the Institute of Art on Saturday before the reception. Anything else (food, attractions, etc.) that's can't miss? What's the best area of town for bar hopping? 

Last edited by a moderator:
For food... a good place to start is "Eat Street", a stretch of Nicollet Ave with restaurants representing cuisine from around the world.  
For good restaurants for couples... I'm gonna tag @Bull Dozier.  I'm too lazy to find his thread about Twin Cities dining; it's a great read and he's been to places all over the city.  

For a good art museum/park combo a little closer to where you are staying... the Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden.  the Sculpture Garden just reopened after some renovations and reworking.  I liked to take the elevator up to the top of the Walker and work my way down.  

For something a bit unique to Minneapolis... the Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, Lake Of The Isles combo is something you don't see in other big cities.  I used to live just off Harriet and there are warm-weather days where I really miss it.  Awesome people-watching - there's great paths for walking, biking, and inline skating (Rollerblades are a Minneapolis invention) around the lakes so there's plenty of action.  During the summer there will be sailboats out on the lakes.  There's a bandshell by Harriet that has live music most nights.  Calhoun is also a lot of fun, a little louder and higher energy, and great sand volleyball courts.  Isles is pretty and more tranquil.  Minnehaha Park is really nice.  Lake Harriet/Calhoun might be a better fit for you and your wife.      
If you go by there, head up the hill on the west side of Harriet up to 44th and Upton for Sebastian Joe's, the best local ice cream shop in town, plus good coffees.  

I'm not qualified to speak on the bar scene there anymore.  My regular places were within walking distance of Target Center to meet up before or after Timberwolves games.  But that was a long time ago.  All the microbrew stuff started happening after I moved away.    

Good recommendations from Bruce, I live near that area and can affirm everything he said. If craft brewing is a big thing for you, I'd try to make the trip out to Surly Brewing Company. They built a pretty amazing tap room that is always packed, so if crowds aren't your thing you might want to avoid that. There's a pretty cool arcade bar near Lake Calhoun called UpDown that is a fun trip if that's your thing. 

If it's fine dining you enjoy, Manny's Steakhouse is one of the country's best. Although I'm not sure you'd be able to get a reservation. 

Otherwise, the St. Paul Grill is a favorite of mine.

If you like art, the MIA is excellent. The world-class Minnesota Orchestra is performing several of Strauss' waltzes as part of their Sommerfest series on Saturday night. I'm going to that one.

Brave New Workshop is a well known comedy club.

Don't go to the MOA. Have you been to an amusement park? Have you been to a mall? Then you've been to the MOA.

Here's my thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/583448-twin-cities-guys-need-a-restaurant-recomendations/

It's a little outdated as I haven't asked for recomendations since 2014.  Also, Minnesota isn't really known for any particular food (that you'd want to eat) like NY and Chicago is for pizza, or various coastal areas are for seafood.  However, if you let us know what you like to eat (steak, pizza, etc), we'll be able to let you know the best places around.

What's the transportation situation?  Will you have a car to get around?

Things I would do 

MIA is a good one. It is free to get in, and there is plenty to see. Most likely is one pay exhibit, but I would just skip out on that for even in a full day it is tough to take it all in. While there, as someone mentioned, I would venture over the Eat Street (Nicollet Ave). Our favorite places right near the musem would be Jasmine 26 (Vietnamese - if you want a quick bite go to their smaller Jasmine Deli for a delicious bahn-mi), Quang (also Vietnamese but has the best Pho in town), Pennisula (Malaysian), Black Sheep Pizza (coal fired and my favorite za in the cities by far), Rainbow (really good Chinese).

Going to a Twins game I would take the light rail, and go up to Fulton Brewing and Modist Brewing which are both super close to the field.

And would for sure check out one of the city lakes, or if you want to check out the river, go down to Minnehaha Park and go for a walk. Afterwards you can wait in a ridiculous long line at Sea Salt for some good fried fish.

Here's my thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/583448-twin-cities-guys-need-a-restaurant-recomendations/

It's a little outdated as I haven't asked for recomendations since 2014.  Also, Minnesota isn't really known for any particular food (that you'd want to eat) like NY and Chicago is for pizza, or various coastal areas are for seafood.  However, if you let us know what you like to eat (steak, pizza, etc), we'll be able to let you know the best places around.

What's the transportation situation?  Will you have a car to get around?
Excellent, that thread is perfect. I did a quick search but didn't come across it for whatever reason. I'll go through that and come back here if I have any specific questions. We are into all kinds of food. We aren't particularly fancy so super nice fine dining places are not our thing. A friend recommended Chino Latino which is just East of Lake Calhoun. Wife really likes Asian fusion (I feel like a dbag typing that out) or whatever you want to call it so that seems like a good option for dinner one night. We will probably take Bruce's advice and check out Calhoun/Harriet and then go out in Uptown afterwards.  

We are driving up from KC so we will have a car, but will probably just Uber everywhere. 

Things I would do 

MIA is a good one. It is free to get in, and there is plenty to see. Most likely is one pay exhibit, but I would just skip out on that for even in a full day it is tough to take it all in. While there, as someone mentioned, I would venture over the Eat Street (Nicollet Ave). Our favorite places right near the musem would be Jasmine 26 (Vietnamese - if you want a quick bite go to their smaller Jasmine Deli for a delicious bahn-mi), Quang (also Vietnamese but has the best Pho in town), Pennisula (Malaysian), Black Sheep Pizza (coal fired and my favorite za in the cities by far), Rainbow (really good Chinese).

Going to a Twins game I would take the light rail, and go up to Fulton Brewing and Modist Brewing which are both super close to the field.

And would for sure check out one of the city lakes, or if you want to check out the river, go down to Minnehaha Park and go for a walk. Afterwards you can wait in a ridiculous long line at Sea Salt for some good fried fish.
Black Sheep is my favorite pizza as well

My MSP friends who are disc golf enthusiasts recommend Bryant Lake Park, an 18-hole layout in Eden Prairie.

The Surly Beer Garden (recommended earlier) sometimes has 9-hole disc golf putting set up.  

Is Paisley Park worth the trip? I'll be staying downtown also, albeit in September.

Edit: and no car

Go down to lock number 5 i at night with a flashlight.  Shine the flashlight in the water by where the all the sewers drain. Theres one huge pipe from the city,  You will see the largest fresh water river fish you've ever seen in your life hanging out there with their mouths open feeding on the crumbs.  HUGE alligator gars, carp and tons of other truly monster fish.  No joke.

Totally get the reluctance to say "Asian Fusion".  I feel weird using that term to describe Bo Ling's.  Eat Street should be a good spot for Asian food.  There was a southeast Asian place I liked in Calhoun Square (heart of Uptown) but the name escapes me and it's been years since I've been there so I'll just stop typing now.  

There's a new Korean restaurant in south Minneapolis generatIng some buzz, Sum Dem Korean Barbeque.

I am not into disc golf, but have heard good things about the Eden Prairie place. Kind of a pain to get to though. If you do go, you can head back up to Edina and get pizza from my second favorite place, Hello Pizza :)

And yea, check out Surly. Doesn't matter if it's crowded, so long as it isn't raining, for it has a huge outdoor area to hang in.

Jasmine 26 qualifies as "asian fusion".

If you want to trek over to St Paul, my favorite restaurant in that category would be Ngon Bistro. Has a nice little patio in back an dhas delicious cocktails

I am not into disc golf, but have heard good things about the Eden Prairie place. Kind of a pain to get to though. If you do go, you can head back up to Edina and get pizza from my second favorite place, Hello Pizza :)

And yea, check out Surly. Doesn't matter if it's crowded, so long as it isn't raining, for it has a huge outdoor area to hang in.
Agree.  If you like booze and people watching Surly is a great spot.  Pics of GF too by the way.

Other random things that are cool to check out

Mill City Museum

First Avenue just to see all the stars on the wall

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden - can check out Loring Park afterwards

Midtown Global Market is kinda cool

I always like Hell's Kitchen downtown for food and alcohol. Live music on weekends too. Psycho Suzi's is a cool place to hang out in the afternoon and get bombed.

Somewhere in that town is a pizza place that had he hottest Persian waitress :wub:

tre can tell you where that place was

Restaurants: For dinner - Bar La Grasa, Spoon and Stable, Bachelor Farmer, Red Rabbit. For lunch - Kramarczuk's. 

For breweries, others have mentioned Surly and Modist. Pyres just opened on the river and it has a pretty cool vibe. The "Northeast" neighborhood has tons of craft breweries that you can check out: nemplsbeer.com  

If the weather is nice I would definitely second the Sculpture Garden and Lake Calhoun. Minnehaha is probably also worth the trip. Mill City Museum is kind of cool about the history of the city - maybe not as interesting for out of towners.  If you want to rent bikes there are some great paths along the river and it's a really nice biking city in general. 

Lola chick has a pizza place up in NE now too, called Young Joni

But yea, I can't belive I forgot about Lola. I mentioned Hello Pizza, which is also hers

Hadn't heard of Hello Pizza before, but definitely know that Sunnyside/44th/France intersection.  There's a good Chinese restaurant on that block, too - Great Wall.  
(And a fantastic neighborhood barber shop - ****'s Barbers - but the OP probably isn't looking for a trim or a flattop while he's in town.)

Both Hello Pizza and Lola aren't horribly far from Harriet, but not like they're right on the lake.  Totally understand why would hold off recommending them unless also venturing to something else in that direction.

I like both Black Sheep and Pizzeria Lola, both awesome.

I liked Chino Latino, what didn't you like @the moops?  I'm not a fan of family style dishes, but thought the food was good.

Surly has been my favorite tap room to eat at, and I love Surly beer, but I haven't been to enough to really place it in relation to the others that have sprung up recently.

I like both Black Sheep and Pizzeria Lola, both awesome.

I liked Chino Latino, what didn't you like @the moops?  I'm not a fan of family style dishes, but thought the food was good.

Surly has been my favorite tap room to eat at, and I love Surly beer, but I haven't been to enough to really place it in relation to the others that have sprung up recently.
Chino Latino is just too gimmicky and doesn't do anything good, IMO. I mean, it's a finbe place for happy hour, I just wouldn't expect anything spectacular. 

the moops said:
Lola chick has a pizza place up in NE now too, called Young Joni

But yea, I can't belive I forgot about Lola. I mentioned Hello Pizza, which is also hers
Young Joni is good, and afterwards he can head to Dangerous Man brewery next door, then around the corner to the 1029 Club for a lobster roll. Another really good pizza place for wood-fired pizza is Element Pizza across the street from 1029 Club.

How about a Jucy/Juicy Lucy recommendation?

Matt's Bar? The Nook?
Good call, probably a must do.  I haven't been to Matt's Bar, but the Nook or Blue Door Pub are probably the places to go.  My go to is the 5-8 in Maplewood/Oakdale for a Juicy Lucy, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone make the trip from Minneapolis for that dive with all the closer choices.

Good call, probably a must do.  I haven't been to Matt's Bar, but the Nook or Blue Door Pub are probably the places to go.  My go to is the 5-8 in Maplewood/Oakdale for a Juicy Lucy, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone make the trip from Minneapolis for that dive with all the closer choices.
Second for Blue Door. I'm fairly certain I've been to Matt's Bar (I think there are two dive bars that claim ownership of the Lucy, and I've been to one of them...) and it was fairly disappointing from a food perspective. Basically a standard dive bar burger with some molten cheese inside... which I guess really is what an original Juicy Lucy should be, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Also, Pizzeria Lola is probably the best pizza I've had in the cities, but the wait can be pretty long. Like 1 hour+ long. I don't believe they take reservations, either. 

Similar place to that is Revival, a new, small "fancy" fried chicken joint in south Minneapolis. Went with my foodie buddy and it was ####### great, but the wait was also an hour and 45 minutes on like a Thursday. I had an enormous chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and it was glorious. 

Users who are viewing this thread