What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republican party is in a death spiral... (1 Viewer)

George Will’s latest book, a 600-page defense of what he considers the foundational principles of conservatism, never mentions the name of Donald J. Trump.

On this week’s podcast, Will discusses his new book, “The Conservative Sensibility,” and says that the sensibility as he defines it is currently “in the ranks of the homeless.” 

“It’s a persuasion without a party, which is fine,” he says. “It may have to hope that the Republican Party, when it ceases being a cult surrounding the particular personality of the 45th president, that it will snap back. I’m not sure it will. But for the moment, it is homeless
So true. It’s why I left the GOP after decades of voting for them. 

This is truly astonishing:

57% of Republicans agree with this statement: "If America is too open to people from all over the world, we risk losing our identity as a nation." That's up 13 points from the same survey last year, according to Pew Research.

57% of Republicans agree with this statement: "If America is too open to people from all over the world, we risk losing our identity as a nation." That's up 13 points from the same survey last year, according to Pew Research.
Just another dog whistle for "becoming not white enough".

I agree with the statement, and I'm not Republican.

I don't know how a nation can ever lose its identity. Unless identity is something that's never supposed to change.
I think for the US, this is true, but a lot of nations are very closely tied to a specific race and culture.  That could theoretically change through large scale immigration, but I think that would take like the entire nation of Somalia moving to Ireland or something.  The US could absorb an entire country and still be distinctly the US.

I think for the US, this is true, but a lot of nations are very closely tied to a specific race and culture.  That could theoretically change through large scale immigration, but I think that would take like the entire nation of Somalia moving to Ireland or something.  The US could absorb an entire country and still be distinctly the US.
A reasonable perspective and one which leads me roundaboutly to wonder how many immigrants a nation of 330 million and having four million annual domestic births could absorb before being irrevocably changed. What effects would a million per year have? Two million? And, to be realistic, let's assume that the huge bulk of these folks will be coming from the Third World (everybody else has better health care  :) ).

Are you astonished because the % isn't above 80%?

George Will’s latest book, a 600-page defense of what he considers the foundational principles of conservatism, never mentions the name of Donald J. Trump.

On this week’s podcast, Will discusses his new book, “The Conservative Sensibility,” and says that the sensibility as he defines it is currently “in the ranks of the homeless.” 

“It’s a persuasion without a party, which is fine,” he says. “It may have to hope that the Republican Party, when it ceases being a cult surrounding the particular personality of the 45th president, that it will snap back. I’m not sure it will. But for the moment, it is homeless
He was good on Preet’s podcast

I'd agree that the Rs are in a death spiral if the opposing party wasn't (generally) a bunch of well meaning but dysfunctional goobers. This moderate non-affiliated voter feels politically homeless with no relief in sight. One one side of my cardboard shack is the heartless, soulless party of Trump (no thanks) and on the other, a confused jumble of messaging and ideas, like fusion food gone wrong. 

It gets easier with a larger number of immigrants coming in who don’t share American values.  

It’s pretty easy to come up with several scenarios where serious change could come from large waves of immigration.
Oh and what values dont they share?

Oh and what values dont they share?
Many people across the world do not share our western liberal values.  Jihadists don't support liberal values.

I find it odd that people have a hard time accepting that folks throughout the world have different values, and that you can't just remove all 300 million Americans and replace them with 300 million folks from any other country and not expect to have profound changes in values coming from the resulting America.

adonis said:
Many people across the world do not share our western liberal values.  Jihadists don't support liberal values.

I find it odd that people have a hard time accepting that folks throughout the world have different values, and that you can't just remove all 300 million Americans and replace them with 300 million folks from any other country and not expect to have profound changes in values coming from the resulting America.
Except we aren't removing 300 million and replacing them with 300 million. So what happens is each generation of immigrants gets more American until by the 3rd generation they didnt even speak the old countries language. This has played out 10s of millions of times literally. Fear isn't a good look.

Except we aren't removing 300 million and replacing them with 300 million. So what happens is each generation of immigrants gets more American until by the 3rd generation they didnt even speak the old countries language. This has played out 10s of millions of times literally. Fear isn't a good look.
My point is that there is a number beyond which allowing more immigrants in threatens American values.  The replacement example is just an edge case that makes that point.

Its reasonable to debate what number and types of immigrants should be allowed in.  It’s not reasonable to flatly deny immigrants can change American values, IMO.

My point is that there is a number beyond which allowing more immigrants in threatens American values.  The replacement example is just an edge case that makes that point.

Its reasonable to debate what number and types of immigrants should be allowed in.  It’s not reasonable to flatly deny immigrants can change American values, IMO.
I think I probably share more values in common with the average immigrant than I do with the average Trump supporter.

I think I probably share more values in common with the average immigrant than I do with the average Trump supporter.
I imagine the proportion of shared values change drastically depending on how big the area you’re averaging across is and what part of the world you focus on.  

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Americans present the greatest threat to American values.

And my point is American values have always been shaped by immigrants and their take on them. And frankly many Americans dont seem to have much like for western liberal values. You should be a lot more worried about homegrown people that dont share your values than immigrants.

And my point is American values have always been shaped by immigrants and their take on them. And frankly many Americans dont seem to have much like for western liberal values. You should be a lot more worried about homegrown people that dont share your values than immigrants.
I’m worried about both.  

Worry about one shouldn’t preclude us from doing the most sensible thing in the other.

I’m worried about both.  

Worry about one shouldn’t preclude us from doing the most sensible thing in the other.
Except your solution isn't the most sensible. Time and again it's the immigrant and the children of immigrants that have pushed this country forward. While people so worried about who is coming here hold it back.

Except your solution isn't the most sensible. Time and again it's the immigrant and the children of immigrants that have pushed this country forward. While people so worried about who is coming here hold it back.
Why isn't having a reasonable limit on immigration, and some sort of threshold for choosing who comes in and who doesn't, the most sensible general option?

When I see questions like this I really wish they'd have demo questions to clarify "Republicans".  Like how long they have identified as republican etc.

Why isn't having a reasonable limit on immigration, and some sort of threshold for choosing who comes in and who doesn't, the most sensible general option?
I really think the asylum laws are the most pressing issue. Although some immigration reform is needed. But the kind of immigrants that are doing the hard work in thei country really aren't going to be elligible for legal immigration due to lack or resources, education etc. We need to legitimize the labor force as much or more than the doctors and lawyers.  

Trump's blatant racism is getting the GOP deeply underwater with the two youngest generations of voters. He could well draw another inside straight next November but after that Republicans are going to have a lot of fences to mend in a nation headed inexorably toward a majority of "minorities."

It's a good thing he's as dumb as he is mean. A smarter president would be much more aware of the need to reach a(nother) demographic that votes Dem by 30+ points.

It's not only him though. The entire RNC is and has been marching headlong in this direction the past decade. In this respect Trump is a symptom.
The professional election analysts employed by the party certainly seem to understand the problem but they are routinely ignored by top party officials. Those officials also ignored their own party report after the 2012 election to double down instead and throw in with Trump. They were temporarily rewarded for that but it's terrible strategy in the long run.

roadkill1292 said:
Trump's blatant racism is getting the GOP deeply underwater with the two youngest generations of voters. He could well draw another inside straight next November but after that Republicans are going to have a lot of fences to mend in a nation headed inexorably toward a majority of "minorities."

It's a good thing he's as dumb as he is mean. A smarter president would be much more aware of the need to reach a(nother) demographic that votes Dem by 30+ points.
Or perhaps he’s conceding that demographic’s vote in a trade off that is more politically advantageous.

He’s being underestimated once again.  You’d think the Dems would have learned the first time, but here they go again making the same mistakes and some new ones.

Or perhaps he’s conceding that demographic’s vote in a trade off that is more politically advantageous.

He’s being underestimated once again.  You’d think the Dems would have learned the first time, but here they go again making the same mistakes and some new ones.
@roadkill1292‘s analysis here was not about Trump but about the Republican Party. You may very well be right that these statements will be to Trump’s short term advantage (I disagree) but they are certainly not to the long term benefit of the GOP. 

The GOP was told what they had to do in the 2012 autopsy: expand their base. That hasn’t changed. Instead they took the easier way out of battening down the hatches. They rolled double sixes in 2016 and now they think they can do it again. I doubt that but who knows?  Bit even if they do it’s unsustainable. They’re digging their own grave deeper and deeper.

He seems to be "conceding" all the demographics but one.

@roadkill1292‘s analysis here was not about Trump but about the Republican Party. You may very well be right that these statements will be to Trump’s short term advantage (I disagree) but they are certainly not to the long term benefit of the GOP. 

The GOP was told what they had to do in the 2012 autopsy: expand their base. That hasn’t changed. Instead they took the easier way out of battening down the hatches. They rolled double sixes in 2016 and now they think they can do it again. I doubt that but who knows?  Bit even if they do it’s unsustainable. They’re digging their own grave deeper and deeper.
With the country moving more to the left (higher poor and minority birth rates, immigration etc.) the Republican Party will too...it won’t have a choice.

To me the more interesting discussion  is if it will move more left fiscally or socially.  I hope socially.  

With the country moving more to the left (higher poor and minority birth rates, immigration etc.) the Republican Party will too...it won’t have a choice.

To me the more interesting discussion  is if it will move more left fiscally or socially.  I hope socially.  
Probably the biggest question in politics for the future is “what will the Republican Party look like when Trump is done? Does his point of view represent a permanent change or will things revert to Reagan styled conservatism?” 

Nobody knows the answer. 

Probably the biggest question in politics for the future is “what will the Republican Party look like when Trump is done? Does his point of view represent a permanent change or will things revert to Reagan styled conservatism?” 

Nobody knows the answer. 
Look no further than Nikki Haley.  She will be the face of the party in 5 years.

Trump is an anomaly imho.

I would say he has 4 demographics.

Rural

White 

Fiscal conservative 

Social conservative 
You're gonna have to flesh this one out a little bit.  If there is ANYTHING he's emphatically proven over his tenure as President it is that he is NOT fiscally conservative.....his history as a "business man" doesn't even support this.

You're gonna have to flesh this one out a little bit.  If there is ANYTHING he's emphatically proven over his tenure as President it is that he is NOT fiscally conservative.....his history as a "business man" doesn't even support this.
The question at hand wasn’t whether he is fiscally conservative.

Trump is an anomaly imho. 
No he isn't. He is a further extension of Palin and the people that love the lies and idiocy that rep hate.

When the radical right knew they had ruined much of everythinng through the Bush years -- this is their continued response.

The question at hand wasn’t whether he is fiscally conservative.
I know.....the question is why you believe a well documented careless fiscally liberal person would be in play for fiscal conservatives?  Why would that demographic vote for him?  And if your assertion is he is simply TARGETING them, what does that message look like that doesn't completely insult their intelligence?

It gets easier with a larger number of immigrants coming in who don’t share American values.  

It’s pretty easy to come up with several scenarios where serious change could come from large waves of immigration.
I’ve read many of your posts over the years. I remember when you were Obama’s biggest cheerleader here.   

Though we are on completely different sides I’m guessing on most all issues this is one where we agree.  I just wish more on your side saw that there IS an American identity and culture. It is unique. Nothing like it any other place in the world. We need to have care when adding to it that we do it in a controlled manner so that we don’t lose what makes us special.  

I’ve read many of your posts over the years. I remember when you were Obama’s biggest cheerleader here.   

Though we are on completely different sides I’m guessing on most all issues this is one where we agree.  I just wish more on your side saw that there IS an American identity and culture. It is unique. Nothing like it any other place in the world. We need to have care when adding to it that we do it in a controlled manner so that we don’t lose what makes us special.  
I think it's relatively easy to make the point that we have a unique identity.  If we didn't, you could extract our entire 300+ million population and drop in 300+ million people from anywhere in the world, and assume you wouldn't lose anything either immediately, or in a short amount of time.  

And I'm still a big Obama fan, but certainly willing to say he's not perfect and didn't do everything the way I'd have liked.  In terms of exuding American values, embodying the exceptionalism of America, he is head and shoulders above Trump in that respect.  

But I agree that many on my side of the aisle don't have healthy caution around what unchecked immigration could do to the country.  There's little appreciation for the differences in core values between groups of people, and many on my side thing that it just filters out after a generation or two, but don't give a lot of thought to the impact having huge numbers of that first generation in our country would do.

Is losing our current identity really a bad thing?  Asking for a friend :oldunsure:   
The question at hand was poorly worded.  Obviously, if a <pick a really large number> number of immigrants were to immediately come to the US, of course the country would change.  I'm not really sure what the "identity" of America is, but surely it would be changed.

That said, is that a bad thing?  The question is framed in such a way that it's implied that it's a negative thing.  I think the country would be better off with more immigrants; in that sense, "losing identity" would be a positive.  You could theoretically answer that question yes and be in favor of more liberal immigration law.

The question at hand was poorly worded.  Obviously, if a <pick a really large number> number of immigrants were to immediately come to the US, of course the country would change.  I'm not really sure what the "identity" of America is, but surely it would be changed.

That said, is that a bad thing?  The question is framed in such a way that it's implied that it's a negative thing.  I think the country would be better off with more immigrants; in that sense, "losing identity" would be a positive.  You could theoretically answer that question yes and be in favor of more liberal immigration law.
Let's narrow it down even further. We could have a bunch of immigrants from, say Norway or Denmark, who come here and say "hey, this is a great place and all but you guys have used the First World's dumbest system of elections here for a long time. Now that we're here, let us help you with that."

Let's narrow it down even further. We could have a bunch of immigrants from, say Norway or Denmark, who come here and say "hey, this is a great place and all but you guys have used the First World's dumbest system of elections here for a long time. Now that we're here, let us help you with that."
Parliamentary elections are called by the Monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister, usually four years after the last election, although early elections may occur. Elections to local councils (municipal or regional) and to the European Parliament are held on fixed dates. Elections use the party-list proportional representation system. Only citizens on the national register are eligible to vote in parliamentary elections and long-time residents may vote in local elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Denmark

I don't think that would go over well with Liberals.

Users who are viewing this thread