What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: DAL Signing RB Hillman. Meaning For Elliott? (1 Viewer)

Does Hillman signing say something about Elliott suspension?

• Nope

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Absolutely Yes

Votes: 14 15.6%

• Total voters
Maybe McFadden is showing his age as he turns 30 this year and they are worried about depth?  I'm not reading too much into a Hillman signing.  Maybe if they went out and traded for Hyde I would see it as a sign.

I really liked Ronnie Hillman in college, but he's been pretty bad as a pro. I don't think I am ready to say this means anything just yet. 

Nope is winning? lol 

A team with Elliott (who is facing a suspension), DMC and Morris signs Hillman now when they could have signed him at anytime and now with the rumors of a suspension coming down, there is nothing to see here? According to some, guess so. 

I really liked Ronnie Hillman in college, but he's been pretty bad as a pro. I don't think I am ready to say this means anything just yet. 
That really is neither here nor there. The Cowboys thought he was worthy to sign and thats what matters, why did they sign a guy you say is bad then? Sure everyone needs camp bodies, but he cost more than any rookie left out their. 

That really is neither here nor there. The Cowboys thought he was worthy to sign and thats what matters, why did they sign a guy you say is bad then? Sure everyone needs camp bodies, but he cost more than any rookie left out their. 
They are obviously concerned about the Zeke suspension- everyone is, but I don't think it is a sign that they definitely do or don't know anything more. As others have said, it could also be an indictment on McFadden and his ability to be the back-up this year. The Cowboys RB depth is pretty bad. They had an spot after cutting Lucky Whitehead and maybe thought Hillman was better than any available rookie RBs (who is out there?) Hillman will be cheaper than Morris.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are obviously concerned about the Zeke suspension- everyone is, but I don't think it is a sign that they definitely do or don't know anything more. As others have said, it could also be an indictment on McFadden and his ability to be the back-up this year. The Cowboys RB depth is pretty bad. They had an spot after cutting Lucky Whitehead and maybe thought Hillman was better than any available rookie RBs (who is out there?) Hillman will be cheaper than Morris.
:doubletakeheadshake: 

They will know before any of us do. Jurrah will not be blindsided, no way this isnt informed to him before Goodell lets it out. 

That DMC cant be a backup, they have Morris. Who is better than both. Bad depth? Elliott, DMC and Morris? I can argue thats the best group in the NFL. 

:doubletakeheadshake: 

They will know before any of us do. Jurrah will not be blindsided, no way this isnt informed to him before Goodell lets it out. 

That DMC cant be a backup, they have Morris. Who is better than both. Bad depth? Elliott, DMC and Morris? I can argue thats the best group in the NFL. 
I agree, but that doesn't mean he has been informed already or that the NFL already has made a decision. Alfred Morris has been rumored to be getting cut all summer. He's in danger with the Hillman signing. 

I don't see Hillman adding any value to the roster whatever if Zeke is not going to miss time.  They added him just to cut him?  I don't think so.

Nope is winning? lol 

A team with Elliott (who is facing a suspension), DMC and Morris signs Hillman now when they could have signed him at anytime and now with the rumors of a suspension coming down, there is nothing to see here? According to some, guess so. 
While I would lean towards this showing that the Cowboys have some concern that a suspension is looming, there's no reason to go to this extreme here and try to paint it that anyone who feels differently is a fool with his head in the sand.

Let's put it this way, would signing a journeyman back that has been lingering in free agency for months make the Cowboys feel ok with losing Elliot? At most this means that they think adding a little depth would be prudent. 

It's possible that signing Hillman could mean that they are planning on dropping Morris, who is more expensive, in the near future. If they cut Morris in a few days would that mean Ellliot is safe from suspension? I wouldn't read much into that, if it happens, either to be honest.

I don't see Hillman adding any value to the roster whatever if Zeke is not going to miss time.  They added him just to cut him?  I don't think so.
Lucky Whitehead's release just opened a roster spot and Alfred Morris has been rumored to be cut all summer. I think Hillman signing gives them 2 options: A if Zeke is suspended, he can help fill the platoon. B) If Zeke is not suspended, he might take Morris' job. 

Of course they signed him due to concern of an EE suspension. And if he doesnt get suspended then they can cut him easily.

While I would lean towards this showing that the Cowboys have some concern that a suspension is looming, there's no reason to go to this extreme here and try to paint it that anyone who feels differently is a fool with his head in the sand.

Let's put it this way, would signing a journeyman back that has been lingering in free agency for months make the Cowboys feel ok with losing Elliot? At most this means that they think adding a little depth would be prudent. 

It's possible that signing Hillman could mean that they are planning on dropping Morris, who is more expensive, in the near future. If they cut Morris in a few days would that mean Ellliot is safe from suspension? I wouldn't read much into that, if it happens, either to be honest.
This is a flawed question, because the Cowboys are not ok with losing Zeke, PERIOD. 

I agree.  This ship is not sinking.  Ronnie Hillman is a camp body.  DMC will hold down fort
That was not really the question. The ship does not have to be sinking for them to sign a person for depth with zeke out. DMC can hold down the fort while Zeke is gone, they still will need some depth. But your point is valid with the exception of the question being asked. 

This is a flawed question, because the Cowboys are not ok with losing Zeke, PERIOD. 
Of course they don't want to lose Elliott. I think everyone understands that.

Please drop the LOL for anyone who has a differnent opinion than you.

I can't be believe Hillman is still only 25 (almost 26). Seems like he's been in the league for 10 years!

Sure, but the underlying point is that signing Hillman doesn't move the radar much on the Cowboy's season either way. So why is it any significant sign as to what will happen to Elliot? It's a depth signing amidst the speculation.

I think "maybe" is the only real answer here, but I can see people dismissing it as meaningless. I wouldn't laugh at that stance.

That was not really the question. The ship does not have to be sinking for them to sign a person for depth with zeke out. DMC can hold down the fort while Zeke is gone, they still will need some depth. But your point is valid with the exception of the question being asked. 
I guess doesn't this mean more for A. Mo?  They talked about cutting him because he isn't a good special teams body.  Is Hillman though?  Maybe slightly.  I just don't see this news as being anything to lose sleep over. 

I can't be believe Hillman is still only 25 (almost 26). Seems like he's been in the league for 10 years!
Not only young, but iirc, there was also a short time that he looked really good, too. It's not a huge stretch that if Zeke went down, Hillman could become very valuable. He's on prettymuch all ww's - worth the pickup imho. 

Sure, but the underlying point is that signing Hillman doesn't move the radar much on the Cowboy's season either way. So why is it any significant sign as to what will happen to Elliot? It's a depth signing amidst the speculation.

I think "maybe" is the only real answer here, but I can see people dismissing it as meaningless. I wouldn't laugh at that stance.
The question isn't about how the Cowboy's season will go though, it's about whether this singing says anything about Elliott's suspension and I think it does.  I voted for Maybe because I think it's obvious they signed him with fear that Elliott will be missing games.  I'm am not sure if it means the Cowboys are certain he is getting suspended though or how long it may be.

I guess doesn't this mean more for A. Mo?  They talked about cutting him because he isn't a good special teams body.  Is Hillman though?  Maybe slightly.  I just don't see this news as being anything to lose sleep over. 
I am seriously afraid to respond with any thoughts what so ever.

The question isn't about how the Cowboy's season will go though, it's about whether this singing says anything about Elliott's suspension and I think it does.  I voted for Maybe because I think it's obvious they signed him with fear that Elliott will be missing games.  I'm am not sure if it means the Cowboys are certain he is getting suspended though or how long it may be.
It seems like you quoted me to disagree but then said basically the same thing as I said. 

The statement about not having any effect on the Cowboys' season was made to illustrate that we can not really make a definitive statement either way based on this signing. If we started hearing rumors that they are sniffing around a deal for Carlos Hyde or Matt Forte then maybe we could make a stronger assumption. But they signed a cheap journeyman to add some depth - and, yes, I ultimately agree that it likely has something to do with concerns about an Elliot suspension - but there are legitimate other reasons (i.e. releasing Morris, as has been rumored) as well as to why this happened. If they were happy with McFadden and Morris, they could have added any RB as depth since even if Elliot is suspended Hillman could be inactive on game days anyway.

Not only young, but iirc, there was also a short time that he looked really good, too. It's not a huge stretch that if Zeke went down, Hillman could become very valuable. He's on prettymuch all ww's - worth the pickup imho. 
Alfred Morris also had a short time he looked really good.  And he looked better during his really good time than Hillman looked during his...

I think the poster who saw this signing as the replacement for Lucky Whitehead's roster spot is on to something.

I really don't see Hillman as being a replacement for a suspended Zeke, so I voted no.  Any added depth at the RB position for the Cowboys is going to be perceived by some as a sign, but I would not read too much into it.  Hillman, if anything, is more of a potential Lance Dunbar replacement.

Preemptive move IMO.  Teams are starting to lose RB's as camps ramp up, and they wanted to get out in front in case something does happen with EZE.  If nothing does he's an easy cut.

Nope is winning? lol 

Welcome to my life the last 3 weeks trying to explain to a certain poster that a history of bad personal conduct may lead to suspension, which is bad for fantasy value ;)  

IMO I think this is a sign that they are prepping for potential of a Zeke suspension. I don't think it means Zeke is going to absolutely face suspension, but certainly Dallas would be foolish not to cover their rear ends and bring in some other talent at RB. They can easily cut him and nothing will be lost

So yes, it's something to watch, but I'd be more concerned if they just went status quo with their star facing a possible suspension; I kind of expected this to happen... 

Welcome to my life the last 3 weeks trying to explain to a certain poster that a history of bad personal conduct may lead to suspension, which is bad for fantasy value ;)  
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/757469-warning-novel-length-a-forum-manifesto/?do=findComment&comment=20267210

And 3 weeks later you cant let it go, you are trying to equate stuff that happened in college to stuff in the pros, there is no comparison, none whatsoever. You're also comparing people who are likely to get suspended based of their actions that have not happened yet and is not in jeopardy of any suspension to a guy who has committed actions. Apples to oranges.

Three weeks and still have not made your point and have not convinced me otherwise and nothing you say will ever convince me, I do not value your opinion on this at all based of your attempts to justify it by any means necessary. So maybe just put it to rest...or we can take it to PMs again, where you said you were not going to engage me anymore which appears to not be the case. 

Sure your comment looks benign, but there is a history of your trolling this topic with me in particular as you even said and not letting it rest. I have informed Joe you have been doing it, maybe he believes me now.

Seems to me like you'd really have to be spinning things to think this is just some big coincidence. The one RB signed this week just happens to be signed by the team with suspension rumors around their RB? 

Ronnie Hillman doesn't seem like the kind of guy you bring in to be your primary backup, especially when you already have pretty good backup RBs. He seems like the kind of guy you bring in when you need someone to dress as the 3rd string RB for a few games because one of your 3 RBs is going to be missing for a few games. 

I don't think that necessarily means Dallas has been notified of anything by the league already, just that they are expecting it to happen. 

I really don't see Hillman as being a replacement for a suspended Zeke, so I voted no.  Any added depth at the RB position for the Cowboys is going to be perceived by some as a sign, but I would not read too much into it.  Hillman, if anything, is more of a potential Lance Dunbar replacement.
I dont either, doubt he sees much time other than special teams...but depth is a needed commodity when you lose your workhorse. 

Simply...
I am sincerely sorry that was a trigger for you

Moving on. Freebagel, stated this pretty well I think. I doubt Dallas knows about any suspension, rather they are doing due diligence to prepare for the just in case a suspension could happen. Either that or it's just the most bizarre coincidence in FA signings this offseason. 

I am sincerely sorry that was a trigger for you

Moving on. Freebagel, stated this pretty well I think. I doubt Dallas knows about any suspension, rather they are doing due diligence to prepare for the just in case a suspension could happen. Either that or it's just the most bizarre coincidence in FA signings this offseason. 
Drop it.

Like a good neighbor....Ronnie Hillman is there.

Pure insurance policy- indicating, at the very least, there is a concern over the suspension.

:lmao:

I couldn't disagree more. 

Since we are not allowed to laugh at others here, I know you must be joining me in laughing at the Cowboys back-up RBs. 
McFadden gained 1,000 yards in 10 games, the year before last. 

Alf has a 1,600 yard season and two more seasons with over a 1,000 yards. 

I bet you would have a hard time finding 2 or 3 other teams with backups who combine for 5, 1,000 yard rushing seasons. 

McFadden gained 1,000 yards in 10 games, the year before last. 

Alf has a 1,600 yard season and two more seasons with over a 1,000 yards. 

I bet you would have a hard time finding 2 or 3 other teams with backups who combine for 5, 1,000 yard rushing seasons. 
Seriously.  You're going to use that to back your claim up?  Alf has basically shown he's done.  McFadden can do it but is getting old.  Now they picked up Hillman who no one else wants.  I just see a bunch of scrubs.

Users who are viewing this thread