What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Guys - need a diagnosis on a bad sounding engine (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
2004 Trailblazer.

Started sounding pretty bad at idle from the belt/fan system.. car is running good, but i've been driving this car 13 years so I know when it sounds weird.

Anyone have any thoughts on if I'm over-reacting or if there's an impending problem I need to address?

Sorry for the low res video,  my phone sucks..  the audio is what's important though.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all ball bearings these days.

Just throw a couple gallons of bleach in it and it clear right up

I'm far from being a mechanic--but my guess is that it could be any number of things. Could be a stretched/worn belt, could be related to a tensioner---it even could be related to your water or power steering pumps. I think the worse case scenario could be your timing chain.   What is the mileage on the vehicle and have you ever had the timing chain replaced?

I'm far from being a mechanic--but my guess is that it could be any number of things. Could be a stretched/worn belt, could be related to a tensioner---it even could be related to your water or power steering pumps. I think the worse case scenario could be your timing chain.   What is the mileage on the vehicle and have you ever had the timing chain replaced?
Ya, I'd lean timing chain as well.   Regardless, take it in asap.

151k and no

Man the opportunity cost for you to diagnosis the car, get the car to the shop, and pick the car up from the shop has got to be in the high '000's.  Not too mention all the time you'll spent agonizing how many more months you'll have to work after paying for the repair.

Bad beat, should leased, etc. 

But hey, at least Fed has 2 slams this year.  Can you even freaking believe it?

Sounds like an excellent trade in. You could get that Durango now to pull your imaginary boat. 

its really hard to tell from the video where the noise is coming from is it the engine block itself as in it is misfiring or is it up front by the fan something sounds loose or like it is hitting or missing i would get it in bromigo take that to the bank

actually the more i look at it also it seems like your fan is spinning out of round maybe the connection is shot bromigo take that to the worth lookin at bank 

I had a rattle/vibration sound only at idle on my car for TWO years. Finally figured out it was a loose heat shield. Ripped it off and not more sound!

Pretty common problem on those vehicles are the electric clutch fan..  I haven't played the video yet, but it will sound like a plane taking off.. 

Edit to add.. Just watched the video.. Could be any number of things.. Electric clutch fan, idler pulley, or any of the accessories driven by the belt, alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor..  Or the engine itself..  One of the more handy tools to find where a noise is coming from is a mechanics stethoscope

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, an easy way to figure out if it's a belt driven accessory or the engine itself is to take the belt off and start the vehicle up.  

Obviously you don't want to run it very long without the belt on it, but it will let you know if the noise is coming from inside the engine or not...  But your clutch fan will still be turning, so it won't rule that out if it's what is making the noise..

Man the opportunity cost for you to diagnosis the car, get the car to the shop, and pick the car up from the shop has got to be in the high '000's.  Not too mention all the time you'll spent agonizing how many more months you'll have to work after paying for the repair.

Those 2 slams though.  Especially beating Ralph..   man if there's a sporting event that I would've retroactively loved to be at.. it would've been that match

Based on the video posted I'd say you need a new cell phone. 
Turns out I had the camera on a super low res video mode..   I thought it was bad even for my crappy phone.   But it was a setting error..  it's a bad phone, but not THAT bad

You know how much gas for that boat is setting back your retirement !!!
Yeah, I do.  I estimate I use the boat for about 13 days a year,  probably use about 3 tanks of gas or about 150 gallons..  so about $350-400.

Answer.. a few hours of delayed retirement every year.

The real kicker is the $800 of boat storage fee each year.

That damn boat is probably setting my retirement back at least week every year.    I guess it's worth it though.

So many lulz in this thread, so glad it didn't disappoint.  And not even one mention of taking a dump on the hood.

Barter dental services for mechanical work. 

Engine needs to floss 

If you had been leasing vehicles this whole time than this wouldn't have happened. 

www.nochevys.com

I'll sell you my 04 Envoy. Between the two you can keep one running for a few more months.

Bad beat man.

Based on the video posted I'd say you need a new cell phone. 

You know how much gas for that boat is setting back your retirement !!!

Sounds like an excellent trade in. You could get that Durango now to pull your imaginary boat. 
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

151k and no
That's not crazy high mileage for a vehicle of that age.  That could bode well for it not being a timing chain.   Generally speaking--anytime you hear a noise like that--the results or usually very binary--either it's something realively minor and cheap to fix--or it's something that's expensive enough to where in your case you might need to consider getting a new vehicle.    I'd definitely take it in to have a trusted mechanic look at it and diagnose it.  Even if it costs you a little money for the diagnosis--if it is something as cheap as a mis-aligned pully or a stretched out belt--you don't want to let it linger and let it grow into bigger problems.  Good luck.  

Those 2 slams though.  Especially beating Ralph..   man if there's a sporting event that I would've retroactively loved to be at.. it would've been that match
You'd be in prison right now for jerking it in the stands.  Consider yourself lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread