What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 FBG Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Now also debating if I want to switch some studs out for ones who I think will have lower ownership to set my team apart. I don't usually care about ownership percentage at all, and just build my team on value. Reached the top 250 two years in a row, but with nothing to show for it yet, so maybe it's time to try something different. But then again maybe the approach should be build to make it to the end, then you just have to get lucky once you get to that point.  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now also debating if I want to switch some studs out for ones who I think will have lower ownership to set my team apart. I don't usually care about ownership percentage at all, and just build my team on value. Reached the top 250 two years in a row, but with nothing to show for it yet, so maybe it's time to try something different. But then again maybe the approach should be build to make it to the end, then you just have to get lucky once you get to that point.  :shrug:
If you've made the final 250 two years in a row, it ain't broke.

- Russell Wilson - SEA/6 - $20
QB - Jameis Winston - TB/11 - $17
RB - Danny Woodhead - BAL/10 - $14
RB - Terrance West - BAL/10 - $14
RB - James White - NE/9 - $11
RB - Joe Williams - SF/11 - $7
RB - Jamaal Williams - GB/8 - $7
RB - Jonathan Williams - BUF/6 - $7
RB - DeAndre Washington - OAK/10 - $5
RB - Damien Williams - MIA/11 - $3
RB - Charcandrick West - KC/10 - $3
RB - Kerwynn Williams - ARI/8 - $2
WR - Sammy Watkins - LAR/8 - $23
WR - Tyrell Williams - LAC/9 - $13
WR - Mike Wallace - BAL/10 - $10
WR - Robert Woods - LAR/8 - $8
WR - Kevin White - CHI/9 - $7
WR - Terrance Williams - DAL/6 - $6
WR - Mike Williams - LAC/9 - $5
WR - Kendall Wright - CHI/9 - $4
WR - Markus Wheaton - CHI/9 - $3
WR - Dede Westbrook - JAX/8 - $3
WR - Albert Wilson - KC/10 - $3
TE - Delanie Walker - TEN/8 - $15
TE - Maxx Williams - BAL/10 - $3
TE - Luke Willson - SEA/6 - $2
PK - Blair Walsh - SEA/6 - $3
TD - Washington Redskins - WAS/5 - $3

Winning

Winning
Not sure if you are serious with this one, but it's pretty rough.

Winning
WoW

Not sure if you are serious with this one, but it's pretty rough.
There's a handful of guys on that list I won't take but were on my "almost taken" list. I liked Robert woods earlier this summer, before they traded for Watkins. Wallace is a best ball fave but probably will go elsewhere this year. I really like Winston but think I'm going with a slightly cheaper higher risk player. This started with me thinking how many Williams I actually wanted to take, then went a little off the rails.

Just waiting for cut down day and the Otis All Value team now.  Roster is set otherwise.

Want some free advice?  It's free, so keep that in mind when gauging quality.

Last year Johnson, Bell, and Elliott all had huge seasons so the top finishers included a lot of teams that owned them.

The year before most of the top RBs flopped so the top finishers were generally teams that didn't pay up big for RBs.

2nd and 4th place didn't spend a lot at RB.
A little more on this line of thinking...last year, of the final 250 alive in Week 14:

38 entries spent less than $70 on RBs

128 entries spent less than $80 on RBs

200 entries spent less than $90 on RBs

Only 15% of the finalists spent less than $70 on RBs, but a little more than half spent less than $80 on RBs.

So you may want to think of spending less than $70 on RBs as a potential red flag, if you think there will be a some continuity year over year....

My current roster has $56 on RBs and $101 on WRs... :rant:

Was up to 28.  Then realigned a bunch of stuff and suddenly back to 25.

I just know at the end of this my team will be too common :(

-QG

Was up to 28.  Then realigned a bunch of stuff and suddenly back to 25.

I just know at the end of this my team will be too common :(

-QG
I'm going the other direction: most of my iterations have been 24 or 25, but as I've been rearranging the last few days, I'm up to 27, which would be my largest roster ever.

Almost became 12 kicker/12 defense guy (super cheap this year) however doing my typical 18-21 man thing typically a late week or playoff exited last year early had 70$ in injurys in the first 3 weeks.

QB is such a coin flip this year

RB I predict lots of wasted $$ on bit players

WR wouldn't touch the top 3 at their $ 

TE who caught that TD???

KD 8-10$ combined might bite me but I'll have fun watching 15 kicker guy make it to week 9 

so quiet in here this year!almost didn't know who the 3$ saviour was gonna be this year LOL (Funchess bandwagon) 

I was hoping this contest was going to get easier each year....

i keep trying to max out my players, but cannot seem to build a big team. It feels as if I should go with studs and take a boom or bust approach, but hate being one injury from being out of the contest. I haven't even started looking at bye weeks. 

Anyone foolish enough to copy my roster deserves to go out in the first week. I think I was out last year by week 7 or 8. 

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/9 - $15
QB - Andy Dalton - CIN/6 - $12
QB - Sam Bradford - MIN/9 - $7
RB - Christian McCaffrey - CAR/11 - $19
RB - Mark Ingram - NO/5 - $19
RB - Derrick Henry - TEN/8 - $13
RB - Rob Kelley - WAS/5 - $10
RB - Marlon Mack - IND/11 - $4
WR - Brandin Cooks - NE/9 - $26
WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/10 - $25
WR - Keenan Allen - LAC/9 - $21
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/11 - $17
WR - Chris Hogan - NE/9 - $5
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/6 - $18
PK - Dan Bailey - DAL/6 - $6
PK - Caleb Sturgis - PHI/10 - $3
PK - Nick Novak - HOU/7 - $3
TD - Minnesota Vikings - MIN/9 - $7
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/11 - $3

I was hoping this contest was going to get easier each year....

i keep trying to max out my players, but cannot seem to build a big team. It feels as if I should go with studs and take a boom or bust approach, but hate being one injury from being out of the contest. I haven't even started looking at bye weeks. 

Anyone foolish enough to copy my roster deserves to go out in the first week. I think I was out last year by week 7 or 8. 

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/9 - $15
QB - Sam Bradford - MIN/9 - $7
RB - Mark Ingram - NO/5 - $19
RB - Derrick Henry - TEN/8 - $13
RB - Rob Kelley - WAS/5 - $10
RB - Marlon Mack - IND/11 - $4
WR - Brandin Cooks - NE/9 - $26
WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/10 - $25
WR - Keenan Allen - LAC/9 - $21
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/6 - $18
PK - Nick Novak - HOU/7 - $3
TD - Minnesota Vikings - MIN/9 - $7
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/11 - $3
First tip... don't take 3 QB's.... second.... don't take 3 QB's when 2 have the same Bye week...

Ingram and Mcccafry or Johnson... hmmm 

5 WR 3 with the same bye week Bad...

if this was a real list you should sweep it fully and start again, if it was a fake well touché ; )

Back to entry form

Your team has been successfully entered.

QB - Carson Wentz - PHI/10 - $11
RB - Dalvin Cook - MIN/9 - $17
RB - Kareem Hunt - KC/10 - $10
RB - Jacquizz Rodgers - TB/11 - $9
RB - Jeremy Hill - CIN/6 - $9
RB - Dion Lewis - NE/9 - $7
WR - Davante Adams - GB/8 - $20
WR - Cole Beasley - DAL/6 - $8
WR - Mohamed Sanu - ATL/5 - $7
WR - Zay Jones - BUF/6 - $7
WR - Cooper Kupp - LAR/8 - $5
WR - Robby Anderson - NYJ/11 - $5
WR - Seth Roberts - OAK/10 - $4
WR - Paul Richardson - SEA/6 - $3
WR - Marquise Goodwin - SF/11 - $3
WR - Kenny Golladay - DET/7 - $3
TE - Martellus Bennett - GB/8 - $13
TE - C.J. Fiedorowicz - HOU/7 - $9
PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/11 - $4
TD - Miami Dolphins - MIA/11 - $4
TD - San Francisco 49ers - SF/11 - $2
TD - Detroit Lions - DET/7 - $2

Back to entry form

Thoughts ?

If your going shotgun approach drop a rb and wr and take the cheap kickers and Def no point in not shotguning them and Gonzales just one the kicking job

Guesses on the most heavily owned player at each position? I'm going with Mariota, Hunt, Hogan, Ertz, Zuerlein, no idea for D. 

Guesses on the most heavily owned player at each position? I'm going with Mariota, Hunt, Hogan, Ertz, Zuerlein, no idea for D. 
Mostly agree, but not at all at QB.  Dalton is far cheaper and more established than Mariota with the same upside (but Titans have better protection and Dalton's top two targets have horrible injury history), not to mention there is value all over the QB price spectrum, which could be restated as homer factor probably affects QB position more than the other positions (and no, I'm not a Bengals fan).  That's not a dig on Mariota.

There's also value all over the defense price spectrum.  There are multiple defenses in the $4-$5 range that will be competitive with the Seahawks, Vikings and Chiefs (so I probably won't spend the premium for any of those three).  I also really like $2 for the Bountygate blitzer now coordinating in Cleveland and $2 for a Saints defense that has completely turned over for young speed.

Which is a better strategy: to insist on including 1 or 2 high risk players on your roster who could blow up or provide zero return, or to specifically avoid that kind of player on your roster?

Mostly agree, but not at all at QB.  Dalton is far cheaper and more established than Mariota with the same upside (but Titans have better protection and Dalton's top two targets have horrible injury history), not to mention there is value all over the QB price spectrum, which could be restated as homer factor probably affects QB position more than the other positions (and no, I'm not a Bengals fan).  That's not a dig on Mariota.

There's also value all over the defense price spectrum.  There are multiple defenses in the $4-$5 range that will be competitive with the Seahawks, Vikings and Chiefs (so I probably won't spend the premium for any of those three).  I also really like $2 for the Bountygate blitzer now coordinating in Cleveland and $2 for a Saints defense that has completely turned over for young speed.
I agree with you at QB. There's a ton of value especially in the 12-16 range, which makes picking who's the most heavily owned player difficult. Dark horses are Bradford and Kizer. I feel like teams who like to go 3 deep at QB will pick up one of the two. 

For Defense I agree too, just not sure what others are thinking. Personally there's a 0% chance I pick a team over $3. 

halebop78 said:
Back to entry form

I really really don't like this team.  RBs are ok though not how I would choose to build my team.  Don't like WR at all.  Given your approach at WR I would select a more steady and stable WR as your top guy instead of Adams.  I don't like guys like Beasley, Sanu, White, Jones at the price you have to pay for them.  I think you are betting off combining them for better WRs or dropping them down to cheaper guys and using the money elsewhere.  Your TEs are a major weak spot in a contest that gives 1.5 PPR, I would definitely try to add more there. You'll have some good weeks here and there but there will be a lot of weeks where you take a 5 from the TE position with that pair.  You need to add at least 1 or more kickers.  Week 11 is an obvious bad bye week for you as your top QB, top RB, top 2 WR, a kicker and two defenses are on bye.  If you make it that far it will likely be your last week. 

I agree with you at QB. There's a ton of value especially in the 12-16 range, which makes picking who's the most heavily owned player difficult. Dark horses are Bradford and Kizer. I feel like teams who like to go 3 deep at QB will pick up one of the two. 

For Defense I agree too, just not sure what others are thinking. Personally there's a 0% chance I pick a team over $3. 
I think you can expand the Bradford/Kizer list to include Smith, Hoyer and even Goff and Trubisky.  A few will draft Savage and/or Petty (not me).

My current near-final roster (iteration 14,732) has two $4-5 defenses.  At $3 I like the Bears and Titans if they can stay healthy....but I think more value can be had in the $4-5 range.

Which is a better strategy: to insist on including 1 or 2 high risk players on your roster who could blow up or provide zero return, or to specifically avoid that kind of player on your roster?
I think it depends on the players, but I typically avoid these situations. I think this contest is all about maximizing reward while mitigating risk, and I think these players lean too far in the wrong direction. I want players who at least have a decent chance to count for me on any given week. 

I couldn't disagree more.  I like Dalton quite a bit, and think he is quite undervalued this year, but he does not have the same upside as Mariota.  Mariota's upside is the #1 QB in fantasy football. He demonstatred for a stretch last year how dominant he could be.  He has a great line in front of him, vastly improved weapons in the passing game, and he is just entering his 3rd season. His upside is much higher than Dalton's. 

I couldn't disagree more.  I like Dalton quite a bit, and think he is quite undervalued this year, but he does not have the same upside as Mariota.  Mariota's upside is the #1 QB in fantasy football. He demonstatred for a stretch last year how dominant he could be.  He has a great line in front of him, vastly improved weapons in the passing game, and he is just entering his 3rd season. His upside is much higher than Dalton's. 
I understand what you are saying.  I just think the strength and orientation of the team is to pound the rock.  If I have Murray and Henry to beat the opponent into submission, I don't need to pass (see, for example, the Seahawks losing a superbowl that they should have won).  The elite nature of Tennessee run game will prevent Mariota from being #1.  Conversely, Cincinnati has a RBBC and two elite receiving weapons and a philosophy that reverts to passing on a "choose a play to run when your life is at stake" basis).  Put it this way, if Dalton, AJGreen and Eifert all play 16 games, where do you think Dalton will finish?

I think Mariota is a fine pick, and actually a far better pick than Dalton in terms of floor...just not in terms of ceiling for the reasons I listed.

I understand what you are saying.  I just think the strength and orientation of the team is to pound the rock.  If I have Murray and Henry to beat the opponent into submission, I don't need to pass (see, for example, the Seahawks losing a superbowl that they should have won).  The elite nature of Tennessee run game will prevent Mariota from being #1.  Conversely, Cincinnati has a RBBC and two elite receiving weapons and a philosophy that reverts to passing on a "choose a play to run when your life is at stake" basis).  Put it this way, if Dalton, AJGreen and Eifert all play 16 games, where do you think Dalton will finish?

I think Mariota is a fine pick, and actually a far better pick than Dalton in terms of floor...just not in terms of ceiling for the reasons I listed.
Well the run game was elite last year too when Mariota went on his tear.  What I love about Mariota is his red zone efficiency and his running ability, which will allow him to put up huge points on a bit less opportunity than other players.  

As for Dalton, I'd say a finish around #5 is possible though not likely.  Personally I expect him to finish around #10 and that is more than fine given the price you have to pay for him. 

FWIW Mariota/Dalton has been my QB committee for most variations of my teams in this contest.  The only other guys have I have seriously considered at the position are Wentz and Hoyer.  

Well the run game was elite last year too when Mariota went on his tear.  What I love about Mariota is his red zone efficiency and his running ability, which will allow him to put up huge points on a bit less opportunity than other players.  

As for Dalton, I'd say a finish around #5 is possible though not likely.  Personally I expect him to finish around #10 and that is more than fine given the price you have to pay for him. 

FWIW Mariota/Dalton has been my QB committee for most variations of my teams in this contest.  The only other guys have I have seriously considered at the position are Wentz and Hoyer.  
They're my committee as well. 

i am new to this contest....is it one lineup for the entire season...i thought we could change each week

i really look forward to it...i agree, it is worth the cost of admission...

also look forward to dipping my toe into the DFS games

are you ready for some football!

i am new to this contest....is it one lineup for the entire season...i thought we could change each week

i really look forward to it...i agree, it is worth the cost of admission...

also look forward to dipping my toe into the DFS games

are you ready for some football!
Only those with premium subscriptions can change lineups week by week.  The rest are locked in with their starting lineup.

I kid.  The premium membership is a running joke on this contest, that I couldn't resist.  In reality, everyone sets one lineup that locks in for the whole year.

Debating between two different RB strategies:

Option 1: 3 RBs for a total of $84. Two studs and one mid-range value play.

Option 2: 4 RBs for a total of $81. One stud, three mid-range value plays.

I've had option 2 since pretty much my first iteration, and most years I go with some variation of option 2, but I'm heavily considering the high risk, high reward strategy of option 1. They all have late byes, so I'd be screwed if any of them fall to injury. 

Don't see my roster changing unless something crazy happens so here goes...

QB - Marcus Mariota - TEN/8 - $16
RB - David Johnson - ARI/8 - $39
RB - LeVeon Bell - PIT/9 - $35
RB - Jay Ajayi - MIA/11 - $26
WR - Stefon Diggs - MIN/9 - $17
WR - Jamison Crowder - WAS/5 - $16
WR - DeVante Parker - MIA/11 - $14
WR - Ted Ginn - NO/5 - $9
TE - Jimmy Graham - SEA/6 - $18
TE - Zach Ertz - PHI/10 - $13
TE - George Kittle - SF/11 - $3
PK - Greg Zuerlein - LAR/8 - $2
PK - Zane Gonzalez - CLE/9 - $2
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/9 - $2
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/5 - $2

I just covered some of this above but I love the value of these two guys this year.  Also like that their bye weeks are relatively early. 

Just missed: Wentz, Hoyer

I'm a big proponent of he stud RB roster.  A cheap WR can catch a 70 yard TD and be startable, it's much harder to get value out of the cheap RBs.  I've had Johnson and Bell on every version of my roster.  Ajayi is a guy who is growing on me and I think he could be a bit more consistent this year if he catches some more passes.  Having 3 studs here allows me to only roster 3 guys.  The hope is that there will be enough 30-40 point games from this crew to keep me alive if other positions have down weeks.  

Just Missed: Woodhead, Hunt, Kelley, Burkhead, Smallwood

I love Diggs and Crowder in PPR this year. I think they can both flirt with 100 catches this year and are the type of guys who can provide a solid floor every week in a contest like this.  I love Parker this year, I still would have taken him if he was $20.  Ginn is going to have some monster games this year with higher upside for more given Snead's suspension.  Kupp is a guy I expect to have some solid games that will fill in for flex at me during bye weeks.  Hogan is a guy that you almost have to take for fear of missing out and being behind the pack.  He'll have some big weeks and disappear in others, like most Pats not named Gronk.  Somebody has to catch the ball for the Jets.  I'm expecting a lot of 5 catch for 60 yard statlines, but I'm just hoping for some bye week coverage here mainly.  

Just missed: Crabtree, Bryant, Coleman, Benjamin, T. Smith, Richardson

Love both Graham and Ertz this year. Think they both end up top 5 at the position this year.  Rookie TEs usually suck but Kittle is a polished TE who is a great blocker, and they just traded McDonald.  I'm just hoping for a couple weeks of flex scores from him.  I generally go heavier at TE but I really don't like a lot of the guy at the position this year and found better values elsewhere.  

Just missed: Brate, V. Davis, M. Williams 

Cheap and plentiful 

Not a believer in spending a lot of money in defense.  Would have liked to get another cheap one but didn't have room to make it work.  

Players I have had on every version of my roster...

Mariota 
Johnson 
Bell
Ginn
Graham 
Ertz 

Parker is on my roster at the moment but frankly it concerns me....like its a foregone conclusion that Cutler immediately changes the situation from Landry + Stills to Parker suddenly being magically transformed into a WR1.  I'd almost call including him on my roster a defensive play and I don't like it.

Well I'm done baring major developments this week!!! 

High risk!!!

117 on RB highest since whatever year purple Jebus was $42

lowest ever spent at QB 

lowest #1 WR $$$ ever 

see you all next year!

I just covered some of this above but I love the value of these two guys this year.  Also like that their bye weeks are relatively early. 

I'm a big proponent of he stud RB roster.  A cheap WR can catch a 70 yard TD and be startable, it's much harder to get value out of the cheap RBs.  I've had Johnson and Bell on every version of my roster.  Ajayi is a guy who is growing on me and I think he could be a bit more consistent this year if he catches some more passes.  Having 3 studs here allows me to only roster 3 guys.  The hope is that there will be enough 30-40 point games from this crew to keep me alive if other positions have down weeks.  

I love Diggs and Crowder in PPR this year. I think they can both flirt with 100 catches this year and are the type of guys who can provide a solid floor every week in a contest like this.  I love Parker this year, I still would have taken him if he was $20.  Ginn is going to have some monster games this year with higher upside for more given Snead's suspension.  Kupp is a guy I expect to have some solid games that will fill in for flex at me during bye weeks.  Hogan is a guy that you almost have to take for fear of missing out and being behind the pack.  He'll have some big weeks and disappear in others, like most Pats not named Gronk.  Somebody has to catch the ball for the Jets.  I'm expecting a lot of 5 catch for 60 yard statlines, but I'm just hoping for some bye week coverage here mainly.  

Love both Graham and Ertz this year. Think they both end up top 5 at the position this year.  Rookie TEs usually suck but Kittle is a polished TE who is a great blocker, and they just traded McDonald.  I'm just hoping for a couple weeks of flex scores from him.  I generally go heavier at TE but I really don't like a lot of the guy at the position this year and found better values elsewhere.  

Cheap and plentiful 

Not a believer in spending a lot of money in defense.  Would have liked to get another cheap one but didn't have room to make it work.  

Mariota 
Johnson 
Bell
Ginn
Graham 
Ertz 
Don't agree with everything here, but love the write up and analysis.

All these guys have been on most of my lineups.

Cheap and plentiful 

Mariota 
Johnson 
Bell
Ginn
Graham 
Ertz 
I think only rostering 3rbs Is suicidal even if they are studs a injury and a bye week could put you in trouble quick . I love the rest of the team though 

At QB: There are several players I see having High % of ownership.  Rodgers or Brady + Goff/Hoyer/Siemian will be popular.  I can also see a couple QB's from the middle of the pack (Prescott/Stafford/Dalton) being paired together.  I'm going to flip a coin and say Brady is the top pick.

At RB: Despite his high price point of $39, Johnson will be top three.  Cohen for $3 will be very popular as well.  But the top pick is K. Hunt for $10....now, KC could make it more interesting if they sign Matt Jones or Alex Collins, but I don't think that will affect his top choice status.

WR: So many choices here, but I think the high % numbers will come from the cheap priced catchers.  Kupp, Hogan, Anderson, Westbrook, Stewart, Golladay should all be high % ownership.  Golladay was going to lead this by a landslide after the week 2 pre-season, but has been quiet since then.  Hogan is now my top choice to lead the way.

TE: Ertz.  He has the most upside for his price of $13.  All the question marks for the higher priced players will keep their numbers below Ertz.

K: Zuerlein...he costs $2 and he is Greg the Leg.  What more needs to be said.

Def: NO...also costs $2 and has looked more explosive this pre-season.

Thanks for peeking at my team. :kicksrock: ;)

I think you're right but as much as I like Mariota, there's a couple guys at $15 I think could be huge, top 5 years.

I think only rostering 3rbs Is suicidal even if they are studs a injury and a bye week could put you in trouble quick . I love the rest of the team though 

I don't concern myself with injuries (outside of guys like Jordan Reed). I always build my team under the assumption that players will stay healthy.  Sure I will probably need some luck for that to happen, but a lot of luck is needed to win this contest anyway.  The money spent on an insurance 4th or 5th RB can be better spent on making my team stronger elsewhere.  

I don't concern myself with injuries (outside of guys like Jordan Reed). I always build my team under the assumption that players will stay healthy.  Sure I will probably need some luck for that to happen, but a lot of luck is needed to win this contest anyway.  The money spent on an insurance 4th or 5th RB can be better spent on making my team stronger elsewhere.  
How's that worked out for you so far?

How's that worked out for you so far?
Reasonably well.  In the 3 years I have played the contest I made the final 250 once and was eliminated in week 12 the other two times.  Last year I had K. Allen, Woodhead, and a few others who got injured so my small roster had no real chance of winning.  

Users who are viewing this thread