What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where Do Your Rank Jay Cutler In Miami? (1 Viewer)

What's your expectation for how Jay Cutler will finish compared to where Ryan Tannehill was original

• Better than what was projected for Tannehill

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • About the same as what was projected for Tannehill

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Worse than than what was projected for Tannehill

Votes: 35 27.3%

• Total voters
Huge bump for Parker IMO. Cutler locks onto big strong receivers.
Add Thomas to the mix with the way Gase and Cutler use TEs. He would be Marty Bennett value in this offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From today's FBG email on the subject:

SELL

Kenny Stills

With a lower volume projection, the ancillary weapons are the most notably impacted. Stills was relevant in 2016 with 81 targets, but his nine touchdowns (on 42 receptions) is a clear regression stat. Stills is a hold in best ball formats with his 'any week' big play possibility, but in traditional formats, Stills is a sell (or avoid) with higher competition for targets and a slight downshift in passing volume as the projected No.3 receiver. Stills would need a 'what if' scenario involving extended time missed by Jarvis Landry or DeVante Parker to emerge back on the typical fantasy league depth radar.
I completely disagree with this.

I assume "downshift in passing volume" means fewer passing attempts... MIA was already #31 in passing attempts with 477 last season. In 2015, with Gase as OC, Fox as HC (read: conservative offense), and Cutler at QB -- the season everyone keeps referencing as Cutler's best -- CHI had 523 passing attempts.

I see MIA passing attempts increasing with Cutler at QB. I see Landry's target share decreasing in favor of shifting targets to Parker, Stills, and Ajayi. If Stills plays 16 games, I don't see his 81 targets dropping; he is the best deep threat on the team, which plays to Cutler's live arm. Stills is also still the 25 year old who MIA just signed to a 4 year $32M contract in the offseason.

Sure, Stills may not repeat 9 TDs, as that is a high number. But I don't see losing a couple TDs as turning him into a sell. At least not in leagues with any depth of rostered players.

I agree with JWB comments above.

Using Denver as the template Stills is playing Emanuel Sanders role in the offense, Parker will play the DeMarius Thomas role.

Stills still has value in this passing game, including if Matt Moore starts some games.

I agree with JWB comments above.

Using Denver as the template Stills is playing Emanuel Sanders role in the offense, Parker will play the DeMarius Thomas role.

Stills still has value in this passing game, including if Matt Moore starts some games.
So what role will Landry have?

My first thought was better but looking at it more I don't see how that's a very reasonable projection.  His fantasy numbers in Chicago were generally worse than what Tannehill was putting up in Miami and Cutler had some pretty good WRs in Chicago for a spell.

Even with a healthy Marshall/Alshon Cutler put up just 15.3ppg, a number that Tannehill eclipsed for 3 straight years with worse surrounding talent prior to last year's debacle.

Cutler's career best for a season is 255 fantasy points, which Tannehill has eclipsed twice as well.

From today's FBG email on the subject:

I completely disagree with this.

I assume "downshift in passing volume" means fewer passing attempts... MIA was already #31 in passing attempts with 477 last season. In 2015, with Gase as OC, Fox as HC (read: conservative offense), and Cutler at QB -- the season everyone keeps referencing as Cutler's best -- CHI had 523 passing attempts.

I see MIA passing attempts increasing with Cutler at QB. I see Landry's target share decreasing in favor of shifting targets to Parker, Stills, and Ajayi. If Stills plays 16 games, I don't see his 81 targets dropping; he is the best deep threat on the team, which plays to Cutler's live arm. Stills is also still the 25 year old who MIA just signed to a 4 year $32M contract in the offseason.

Sure, Stills may not repeat 9 TDs, as that is a high number. But I don't see losing a couple TDs as turning him into a sell. At least not in leagues with any depth of rostered players.
Thanks @Just Win Baby   I've asked Chad to see more what he's thinking there. I see Stills as a "sell" from last year meaning I think his 2016 TDs were an outlier. We see him for 5 TDs this year. But that's not related to Cutler. We see him as WR 61 this year. 

Where do you have him ranked?

About the same. Towards the lower end of the mid tier QBs. Guys that I rolled the dice one too many times when passing on QBs during the draft and now I'm stuck with. 

pretty much a push.

slight bump for Landry and drop for Parker and Stills.  push for Jay Ajaayaajjahahijiii.

Cutler is a better QB but doesn't have the save rapport with the receivers as Tannehill.

first half of the year may be slightly more rocky than anticipated but second half my be better than anticipated.

I think the fish can earn a wildcard spot, which makes next year all the more fascinating...does Cutler get Tannehill run out of town?

Thanks @Just Win Baby   I've asked Chad to see more what he's thinking there. I see Stills as a "sell" from last year meaning I think his 2016 TDs were an outlier. We see him for 5 TDs this year. But that's not related to Cutler. We see him as WR 61 this year. 

Where do you have him ranked?

pardon me for butting in, but doesn't your logic imply that Parker ascends?  if so, what have we seen that suggests he will?

I won't rank Cutler high enough to be on any of my rosters.  If I had to start him some weeks, I'd really have to rethink the choices I've made in life.

I do bump NE's defense up a couple of spots.   

Yes I know.  The feeling is that Parker sheds nagging injuries and does 15% better than what he has shown.

I'm more of the school of thought that Stills has shown he can play and Parker hasn't.

Although there is something to be said for Cutler gravitating to throwing at big targets so maybe this helps Parker get over the hump and hurts Stills....I'm just not going to make that bet.

My first thought was better but looking at it more I don't see how that's a very reasonable projection.  His fantasy numbers in Chicago were generally worse than what Tannehill was putting up in Miami and Cutler had some pretty good WRs in Chicago for a spell.

Even with a healthy Marshall/Alshon Cutler put up just 15.3ppg, a number that Tannehill eclipsed for 3 straight years with worse surrounding talent prior to last year's debacle.

Cutler's career best for a season is 255 fantasy points, which Tannehill has eclipsed twice as well.
Looking at the two players careers the highest Tannehill has finished is QB 9 in 2014 his 3rd season.

Jay Cutler finished as QB 4 in his 3rd season in 2008.

When Cutler went to the Bears they were having him throw to the likes of Johnny Knox and Devin Hester his first three seasons there. 

In 2012 when they got Marshall and Jeffrey was a rookie Cutler only threw the ball 434 times in 15 games. The Bears had a good defense and Love Smith the head coach.

2013 Cutler missed 5 games. Marshall and Jeffrey were both top 12 WR.

2014 Cutler played 15 games and had 561 passing attempts completed 66% of them 3812 yards 28 TD 18 interceptions. This is the only season when Cutler had near the attempts that Tannehill had in 3 seasons before making Gase the head coach. Marshall missed 3 games but TE Bennett had 90 receptions and Forte had 102. Cutler was QB 14 overall in fantasy that year.

2015 Cutler played 15 games but Marshall had moved on to the Jets by then. Jeffrey only played in 9 games that year. Bennett in only 11 games. They had Cutler throw the ball 483 times in this situation.

So you only have 2013 where both Marshall and Jeffrey were healthy, Cutler missed 5 of those games, they were both top 12 WRs.

In 2014 Cutler threw more TD (28) than RT highest of 27 in 2014. In one fewer game. Marshall besides being injured was having differences with Trestman and the team in general, so Cutler used his TE and RB as receivers a lot more.

Ryan Tannehill has had more passing attempts and games played than Cutler during overlapping time frames.

As far as other indicators such as yards per attempt Tanehill is career 7 YPA while Cutlet is 7.2 YPA. Cutler 4.6 TD% to Tannehills 4% Cutler 3.3 INT% Tannehill 2.5% Cutler Sack 6.3% Tannehill 7.5

So Cutler has thrown interceptions more frequently than Tannehill but also throws more TDs yards and is sacked a bit less.

Cutler likes to sling the ball downfield, so I would bump Parker and Stills and downgrade Landry slightly.  Ajayi has no impact.

I would put Cutler around QB21, so about the same as Tannehill.  Still think it's going to be a run first team with Ajayi.

Lower third in the league and only startable in two qb leagues or as a bye week replacement and that is being kind.

Lower third in the league and only startable in two qb leagues or as a bye week replacement and that is being kind.
Seems your hate for Cutler is much deeper than fantasy if you think that is being kind. We have all owned Cutler in our years, he isnt good, but with a new team, things change. Is he a stud? No, is he in the bottom third with Kesslers and McCowns? No. 

I'll take him over Flacco, Smith, Goff, Hoyer, Taylor, Bradford and any Houston, Cleveland, NYJets, Chicago.

He is right there with Palmer, Dalton, Wentz and Bortles.

Tannehill and Cutler are both similar QBs IMO. Tons of natural talent, they look the part of NFL star QB. However, they just have never been able to really be above average NFL QBs. 

I've got him slotted in the QB19-24 range.

What's he worth in terms of FAAB % in a 14 team superflex dynasty league? I'm interested in picking him up, but I don't want to spend my whole FAAB to do it. Any thoughts or advice? 

I've got him slotted in the QB19-24 range.

What's he worth in terms of FAAB % in a 14 team superflex dynasty league? I'm interested in picking him up, but I don't want to spend my whole FAAB to do it. Any thoughts or advice? 
Tough to say.  14-team superflex seems like QBs are pretty valuable.  I would look back at what some past QBs have gone for and figure where you slot Cutler in alongside them.

I think Cutler will be able to open the offense up more because of his arm. Under Gase, Cutler had his best year as a pro and if you look at the stats of Culter under Gase and Tannehill last year- they are fairly comparable. Cutler had more yards and TD's and one less INT but a lower completion percentage. None of which were large differences. It will be close but I think we will get a bit more yards and a bit more TD's out of Cutler than Tannehill would have provided. Cutler jumps a few spots up on my rankings from where Tannehill had been sitting. 

How much of a concern is it that Cutler is reporting this late and is reportedly out if shape?

Pat Kirwin of Sirius NFL said that he didn't think Cutler would be able to jump right in since he hasn't been throwing, i.e. he wouldn't be able to do all of the first team 11v11 right away and his throwing would need to be monitored 

I'm another who voted about the same.  Cutler is good enough to run the same offense and do OK but I don't see them changing what they were planning because they have Cutler. I think this team wants to run the football with Ajayi and play good defense.  The passing game has enough talent to be effective but if they felt Cutler was a big upgrade over Tannehill they would have signed him a long time ago.  I just don't see much changing due to this.

How much of a concern is it that Cutler is reporting this late and is reportedly out if shape?

Pat Kirwin of Sirius NFL said that he didn't think Cutler would be able to jump right in since he hasn't been throwing, i.e. he wouldn't be able to do all of the first team 11v11 right away and his throwing would need to be monitored 
Zero concern for me. It's good that it sounds like they are recognizing they may have to monitor his throwing as he builds up to avoid a dead arm.  He has a month to get ready.

I realize this is an inexact science, but over the past three seasons, Tannehill ranked 19th in fantasy ppg (19.70) and Cutler ranked 24th (18.97) using whatever scoring system the Historical Dominator uses. Cutler ranked as QB26 in ppg in his one saeson under Gase.

Cutler most likely is out of shape and never played with his new teammates, so I would guess out of the gate he will do worse than Tannehill would have. IMO, both guys are sub-optimal fantasy QB2's in a 12 team league.

Put another way, I'd be looking elsewhere for my starting and back up fantasy QB's.

I have him as a low-end QB2. He has some nice pieces on offense to work with, but I don't seem him putting up great numbers.

10 team league- not rosterable

12 team league- back end QB 2/borderline rosterable

14 team league- back end QB 2/will likely be on a roster.

16 team league- no question- on a roster, mid level back up.

I'd put him at QB #25 right about now. Could jump a few spots if he gets in shape and throws well. 

FWIW, you guys are higher on Cutler than my guys on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/894273433311207424

I tend to agree more with you guys here.
It looks like things have evened out a bit now with more votes.

The early voters (around the time you posted this) were more optimistic about this being an improvement.

I can see the perspective of it being about the same. Cutler has only been slightly more efficient than Tannehill.

He still has to win the job.

He still has to win the job.
You would think so, but I doubt they paid him $10 million to be a back up...more importantly, I doubt he came out of retirement to be a backup, so he likely has a gentlemen's agreement with Gase that he will at the worst get be the week one starter.

You would think so, but I doubt they paid him $10 million to be a back up...more importantly, I doubt he came out of retirement to be a backup, so he likely has a gentlemen's agreement with Gase that he will at the worst get be the week one starter.
Sure, but if Moore is clearly better I think Gase will go with the player that gives the team the best shot to win.  It will probably be Cutler, but just isn't a foregone conclusion.  This is going to be a battle over the next few weeks.

Everyone seems to be forgetting about his accuracy at the end of his career.   I would pass just based on that alone.   I'm not saying he's undraftable, but buyer beware for sure.  I just can't buy him in the mid teen range.   I feel better in the QB25 or QB26.

Tannehill and Cutler have both played one season in Gase's system.

Tannehill outperformed Cutler in virtually every metric except INT%.

I'm not optimistic about Cutler or the Dolphins in general.

Are they are Green Bay's schedule this year, because I love Cutler going against the Packers.  I think he is among the favorite Q.B.'s for all packer fans, after all he has completed a lot of passes to our guys.

Chaka said:
Tannehill and Cutler have both played one season in Gase's system.

Tannehill outperformed Cutler in virtually every metric except INT%.

I'm not optimistic about Cutler or the Dolphins in general.
Cutler in 15 games 2015 TD 4.3% INT 2.3% YPA 7.6    AYPA 7.4 SACK 5.7% Jeffrey (9 games) Martellus Bennett (11 games) Matt Forte (13 games) Marquess Wilson (11 games 6 starts) Eddie Royal (9 games)

Tannehill in 13 games 2016 TD 4.9% INT 3.1% YPA 7.7 AYPA 7.3 SACK 6.9%  Landry Stills Parker (15 games) Ajayi (15 games) Dion Sims

It is pretty close but I would say Tannehill had better healthy weapons to work with last year than Cutler had in 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread