What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN8 "the Ocho" Happening today (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Bold move Cotton.

Midnight: 2016 American Disc Golf Championship
2 a.m. 2016 WFTDA Roller Derby Championships
4 a.m. 2016 Sky Zone Ultimate Trampoline Dodgeball
5:30 a.m. Firefighters World Challenge XXV
8 a.m. 2016 Kabaddi World Cup Final
9 a.m. World Darts Championship
11:30 a.m. Arm Wrestling: Best of WAL 2016 Championship
12:30 p.m. 2017 Championship of Bags (Cornhole)
2:30 p.m. EVO 2017 World Championship - Street Fighter
5:00 p.m. Moxie Games
7 p.m. U.S. Open Ultimate Championship

This is pretty smart and probably a good representation of what they will have to do going forward to fill the hours. I imagine the rights for all of this came pretty cheap. Much better than some boring studio show previewing the SEC East. I would love to see more disc sports on television. 

EYLive said:
7 p.m. U.S. Open Ultimate Championship - is this ultimate frisbee?
Yes. I've watched some club-level college Ultimate on CBS' cable sports network in the past. Translates well to TV. 

"World Championship of Street Fighter" (yes the video game) on now ...complete with professional commentary.  :lmao:

Edit: Now they are talking to the winner about how "intense his training was" Haaaaaa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I've watched some club-level college Ultimate on CBS' cable sports network in the past. Translates well to TV. 
I played in college. Love this sport. My school hosts the L.A. pro team games.

I'd like to see more ultimate televised. There's a ton more action than soccer and baseball.

"World Championship of Street Fighter" (yes the video game) on now ...complete with professional commentary.  :lmao:

Edit: Now they are talking to the winner about how "intense his training was" Haaaaaa.
It's not going to happen overnight, but e-sports is going to be a major player going forward.  TBS already has rights to Counter-Strike events and ESPN has broadcast e-sports events in the past.  ESPN.com even has a full e-sports section of their website - http://www.espn.com/esports/.  Kinda fascinating stuff.

You're not familiar with eSports? (edit: apologies if this came off as confrontational. Looked wrong once I read it) Absolutely huge business nowadays.

I know ESPN is presenting this block of programming as though it's tongue in cheek, but there is more to it than that. There was some good discussion on ESPN and the issues they face in this thread earlier this summer: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756251-the-rise-and-fall-of-espn/?page=6 

Nice to see they are testing the waters with some more diverse content. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not familiar with eSports? Absolutely huge business nowadays.

I know ESPN is presenting this block of programming as though it's tongue in cheek, but there is more to it than that. There was some good discussion on ESPN and the issues they face in this thread earlier this summer: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756251-the-rise-and-fall-of-espn/?page=6 

Nice to see they are testing the waters with some more diverse content. 
I'll admit...I don't play video games...have not since Sega and NHL 94. But I don't discount the eSport revolution. Just sounds funny to me when they talk about the intensity of the training. 

You're not familiar with eSports? Absolutely huge business nowadays.
Honestly, I've hit my tipping point and I've watched more e-sports than any other sport this year to date.  The production quality is quite good for the big events, and there's serious money flowing into the sport from more traditional sports.  The Sixers, Patriots, Cowboys, Mets all have made significant e-sports investments in the past year or so.  Rick Fox is the owner of a very successful North American team.  Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins are minority owners in NRG - the majority owners are the owners of the Sacramento Kings.  It's a wild west arms race in the e-sports world right now.  

EYLive said:
7 p.m. U.S. Open Ultimate Championship - is this ultimate frisbee?
yes it is.

i actually played competitive for 15 years with montana.  traveled to world championships with the calgary cynics and played nationally with the phily rage.

this sort of coverage is about 10+ years too late.

Honestly, I've hit my tipping point and I've watched more e-sports than any other sport this year to date.  The production quality is quite good for the big events, and there's serious money flowing into the sport from more traditional sports.  The Sixers, Patriots, Cowboys, Mets all have made significant e-sports investments in the past year or so.  Rick Fox is the owner of a very successful North American team.  Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins are minority owners in NRG - the majority owners are the owners of the Sacramento Kings.  It's a wild west arms race in the e-sports world right now.  
The Patriots are recruiting for their Overwatxh team right now, I think.  They've even bought a house for the team to live in.  Pretty cool.  

This is pretty smart and probably a good representation of what they will have to do going forward to fill the hours. I imagine the rights for all of this came pretty cheap. Much better than some boring studio show previewing the SEC East. I would love to see more disc sports on television. 
Yup, was figuring it was some kind of trial balloon for a couple years from now trying to offset all those bloated league rights packages they paid for.

yes it is.

i actually played competitive for 15 years with montana.  traveled to world championships with the calgary cynics and played nationally with the phily rage.

this sort of coverage is about 10+ years too late.
This just proves it. The FFA has at least one expert at EVERYTHING. 

:thumbup:

i liked it a lot and wish that they would do this more i do not watch a ton of tv probably an hour to an hour and a half a day but this was fun just honestly fun good to see stuff like this on tv instead of some reality crap watching the worst of society fight with eachother blah blah blah i say keep it full time viva la ocho bromigos take that to the bank 

I'll admit...I don't play video games...have not since Sega and NHL 94. But I don't discount the eSport revolution. Just sounds funny to me when they talk about the intensity of the training. 
Not physically, but immense mental training. South Korea has training camps for all sorts of games a lot like the soccer camps in Europe. They mentally challenge gamers to go beyond their limits of what they can handle and break through to another level.  Most end up breaking down but the kids that become pros usually come from these types of training programs.

They also just had the Open invitational for Rocket League qualifiers on Comcast Sportsnet this weekend.  Esports is definitely becoming mainstream.

No less of a "sport" than driving around in circles I guess.

Oh please no. I love video/PC games, but this doesn't belong anywhere near sports.
Pfffffft,

Oh, my bad for spitting a little bit of Cheetos in your direction you while making that scoff noise, this competition is intense!

Users who are viewing this thread