What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Staying with Apple eco system. MSFT is doing something wrong. (1 Viewer)

Mario Kart

Footballguy
Let me first say I have an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini that won't be leaving for now. My main computer though is a Macbook Pro 2011. When the Surface 3 came out, I waited a couple of months till I bought one. The Surface 3 was/is awesome because of its innovation (at the time). I've held off on upgrading my main computer in part due to money but the 2011 has been a great computer.

I'm in a dilemma though. Upgrade the main computer or stick with the 2011? Its still a great computer but some things have slowed. Upgrade or no or reformat the current one? So, the decision has come down to the Surface Pro 2017 or a new Macbook Pro.

With all else being equal as far as computing power and so on... I'll lose a couple things on the Mac that I can't do on the iPad however for work I mostly use MS Office. What programs I would lose on the Mac, I could buy for Windows. What it may come down to is something so petty, so it seems, but something that will linger for some time. What is that? The ports on the Mac compared to the Surface Pro are laughable. The money needed to buy converters for the Mac ports may range in the $100 or so but that is an expense that is simply not incurred with the Surface Pro.

I will probably reset my Mac back to factory settings and use it sparingly unless I try to sell it. But the fact that Apple left out some of the most used ports is what my decision is, basically, coming down to. Plus, a new Macbook is still just a laptop whereas the Pro is a tablet as well and a decent design machine because it is touch screen. Another minor quip but Apple left out the touch screen. I don't think it will be too difficult to leave Apple. Who else has?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is a new day. Apparently Microsoft products have a plethora of issues. Many have had to be taken back to stores. I've only had to bring my Surface 3 to the store once since I owned it and I didn't like the result but it's fine. A little headache but no worries. 

Worry about dongles or worry about the thing working?

I have to say I love my surface book.  I didn't care for the surface pro at all, but the book has been a great product for me. If feels like a real laptop and switches nicely to a tablet when I need it.

However, reading that feedback, I guess I'm one of the lucky 75%.

So, one suggestion from Reddit was to buy an SSD and upgrade the Ram. I'd lose some space if I went to an SSD but what would I gain? Quieter, faster boot time, lower energy, what else? If I upgrade the Ram, I'd go from 8GB to 16GB. All of that would be under $300.

What do I lose out on by going this route? I don't think too much. This is tempting. With the Microsoft news today, that has left me discouraged to move forward with them. Apparently the Surface 3 is the more reliable Surface they've brought out. 

If I bought new, I'd go with 16GB of ram and it would come with a 256 hard drive. Or, I have about the same 256 and 16 for $300. What is the difference between the two memories other than "it's newer." Is the newer stuff really noticeable?

I'm sure the Microsoft product will be great for two years and when it slows to molasses you can use the 2011 Mac to work on

Well, good news is I made a decision as to what road I'd be taking. I looked in to simply upgrading the hard drive to an SSD and bumping the memory to 16GB. The cost is only $235. As opposed to $1,500 for a new one and about the same for a Microsoft product. So, seems like a great thing, right?

I ordered the above parts tonight and they should be on Sunday. I put some things on an external and a couple hours later my mac shut down and a question mark folder popped up. Now, it won't turn on. Thinking about cancelling or not opening the products when they get here to simply buy a new one. I'd hope the new parts will fix things but argh right now. 

I got power. I hadn't connected something although I still get the folder. So, I either killed the thing or...

Yeah- looks like consumer reports has pulled their "recommendation" on Microsoft tablets/computers/devices due to their "predicted reliability.  Here's some more info;

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/554302001/
On the other side, my Macbook Pro is rock solid but the MagSafe charger is one of the most poorly designed, POS products ever made. $80 a pop every few months to replace a stupid charger. Never had to replace a Windows laptop charger in my entire life.

I've gone back and forth a couple of times, mostly out of curiosity or boredom, but my Macs have repeatedly outperformed the windoze stuff I've bought. They're just rock solid reliable. My windows computers, despite make or model, get slow, buggy, crash, and are just less intuitive to use. Recently went back to Mac for my main computer at home and picked up a Mac Mini along with a giant LG ultra wide display. Fantastic setup for my home office. Won't be leaving it anytime soon. 

Well, good news is I made a decision as to what road I'd be taking. I looked in to simply upgrading the hard drive to an SSD and bumping the memory to 16GB. The cost is only $235. As opposed to $1,500 for a new one and about the same for a Microsoft product. So, seems like a great thing, right?

I ordered the above parts tonight and they should be on Sunday. I put some things on an external and a couple hours later my mac shut down and a question mark folder popped up. Now, it won't turn on. Thinking about cancelling or not opening the products when they get here to simply buy a new one. I'd hope the new parts will fix things but argh right now. 

I got power. I hadn't connected something although I still get the folder. So, I either killed the thing or...
Probably ball cancer.

im not a Mac guy, but surfaces blow.  I'd never buy one and wouldn't give one to my worst enemy.

get a decent hp, Lenovo, dell, etc.  just don't get an asus or those mini turds that are tossed about.

the ssd and upgrade in memory will certainly help, but a laptop from 2011 might have a processor that bottlenecks with certain applicaions, so you might still see an increase in sluggishness.  Additionally, older laptops usually generate more heat overtime, which further hampers processors and boards, as they ramp down performance to prevent an overheating situation.  But, you'll definitely see a bump in performance in almost anything you do with that ssd in there. 

There is nothing wrong with Asus.  Did you get a lemon 10 years ago and are holding a grudge? 
I manage a few desktops and they suck.  The small asus laptops they make are so underpowered that they don't last longer than a few years, and people who don't understand buy them because they are cheap and small, not realizing they are buying peices of junk. 

Of course everyone has brands they like and hate so I'm sure I'm jaded by my experiences, but that's all I have to go on.  And I'd never by an asus for myself.

I manage a few desktops and they suck.  The small asus laptops they make are so underpowered that they don't last longer than a few years, and people who don't understand buy them because they are cheap and small, not realizing they are buying peices of junk. 

Of course everyone has brands they like and hate so I'm sure I'm jaded by my experiences, but that's all I have to go on.  And I'd never by an asus for myself.
Fair enough.  I have no experience with the ASUS desktops and cheap laptops, but I have had 3 or 4 decently specced ASUS laptops that have held up for me. 

Would a 128GB hard drive be enough? I ask because its $200 more for 256 but a 128 usb-c flash drive is only $40 on amazon. I might go that route instead cause it doesn't seem all that bad. Save $$

Let me clarify... 128GB hard drive with 16GB ram instead of 256/16.

Those reports didn't scare me off as I do think the Surface Pro is a better device overall but I don't want to be one of the 25% that experience problems often. And, I don't want to "live with" something just because I was tired of always going to the store for repairs of some kind. 

I went to the Apple Store today to check out my other computer. I'm hoping the new hard drive solves the problem I have since the current hard drive doesn't work now. Ordered a new one, couple hours later, doesn't work anymore. Hard drive and memory comes tomorrow. 

Ordered a new computer to. Was going to go with 128/16 to save money but went with 256/16. The Surface Pro also had one other downfall. I had to use my Surface 3 tonight to surf the net and it has 4gb ram and I was doing normal stuff and it was laggy. Surface Pro comes with 8GB ram and can't be upgraded at my price point. Was not great surfing at 4 and I know what 8 is like since my Mac has 8. It was great six years ago... not so much now though. 

Mario Kart said:
Would a 128GB hard drive be enough? I ask because its $200 more for 256 but a 128 usb-c flash drive is only $40 on amazon. I might go that route instead cause it doesn't seem all that bad. Save $$

Let me clarify... 128GB hard drive with 16GB ram instead of 256/16.
Not familiar with Macs, but 128 on Windows is tough, unless you have another drive you are pushing user profiles and other data to.  It really depends on how much data/applications you have.  I'd recommend, without knowing those details, going with 256.  You should be able to get a 256 for 100-150, maybe even cheaper with some good deals.

Oh and a 128 USB drive is completely different and those differences are why it's cheaper. 

Users who are viewing this thread