What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which RB are you most unsure about? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
On where to draft? For me it's Marshawn Lynch. While I think he could return to being beast mode, I'm not comfortable in the first three rounds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed on Lynch and the Pats, although I'm fairly sure the Pats Backs are going to be inconsistent but very good as a group

Gurley - new coach, can Goff improve enough to keep the defenses from keying on him?

Hyde - will he stay healthy?

Will Murray or Henry be the guy?  True RBBC?

I don't see how anyone can feel sure enough about mixon to justify his adp. 

Montgomery and the patriots backs are good answers too.

Lynch, Blount, Doug Martin, Carlos Hyde, Spencer ware and really any of the saints backs could be total busts without injury and I wouldn't be surprised.  

Tevin Coleman without Shanahan feels like chasing points.  

I swear every time I invest in the NE backfield, I get burned. No way I am touching Gillislee at his adp. 
I;ve been taking a flier on Lewis late in drafts.  Near free and has upside, shouldn't take more than a week or two to see if he pans out.  My kind of late round pick.

I;ve been taking a flier on Lewis late in drafts.  Near free and has upside, shouldn't take more than a week or two to see if he pans out.  My kind of late round pick.
Agree that James, White and Burkhead are worth drafting as your last pick. Easily can be dropped after a week or 2 if it doesn't look good. 

The whole Oakland back field has me scratching my head.  I don't think Marshawn is going to get enough work load to justify the cost, and if that is true then one of Richard or Washington has some value, but IDK which one or either of them will.

Hopefully we get clarity in the preseason.

This is a loaded question.  Way too many questions about too many team's backfields.
True, but "most" is singular. Thus implying that people should pick 1 and state why they're unsure about them.

I'm nervous about Eddie Lacy because A. He's on my team. And B. I don't want to trade him, only for him to blow up and have a Marshawn-like year (Marshawn from 3 years ago, not current Marshawn).

A little concerned about White Boy Chris.  Can he translate his college skills to the NFL?

True, but "most" is singular. Thus implying that people should pick 1 and state why they're unsure about them.

I'm nervous about Eddie Lacy because A. He's on my team. And B. I don't want to trade him, only for him to blow up and have a Marshawn-like year (Marshawn from 3 years ago, not current Marshawn).
I know what you meant and with RBs being such a mess I find it too hard to even pick one.  There are many that I am equally unsure about.

Lynch, Gillislee, Ingram, Hyde, Lacy, CJ Anderson and Martin just to name a few.

This is why I think having a top 5 pick is gold this season. Outside of Bell, DJ, Elliot (although he does have suspension risk), Freeman and McCoy (imo) - the RB position is loaded with uncertainty. And of course those guys all have the natural injury risk that comes with being a RB.

Even guys I personally really like more than most for this season like Howard, Ajayi, Powell and Lynch have their risks.

We have guys that have talent but uncertain roles due to crowded backfields like Miller, Lacy, Ingram and Hyde.

We have the rookies who all have their pluses but also have the inherent minuses that come with being a rookie.

We have guys that could "bounce back" like Gurley and CJ Anderson but that's not a given.

We have guys that have limited roles but have sneaky ppr value like Woodhead, Bernard, Riddick and White.

We have guys that should see heavy workloads but have no real tack record like Gillislee, West, Perkins, Montgomery and some rookies.

We have aging veterans that can still be productive but could fall off the cliff like Gore, Blount, Forte and Peterson.

Its a mess for sure - let's hope these rookies and newcomers pan out this year so next season the landscape is not so rocky.

Super intrigued by Mixon, but lots of uncertainty.  Not only the fact that he's an unproven rookie, but Lewis has also been hesitant to play younger players for veterans, even when the vet appears to be less talented and effective.  

This is why I think having a top 5 pick is gold this season. Outside of Bell, DJ, Elliot (although he does have suspension risk), Freeman and McCoy (imo) - the RB position is loaded with uncertainty. And of course those guys all have the natural injury risk that comes with being a RB.

Even guys I personally really like more than most for this season like Howard, Ajayi, Powell and Lynch have their risks.

We have guys that have talent but uncertain roles due to crowded backfields like Miller, Lacy, Ingram and Hyde.

We have the rookies who all have their pluses but also have the inherent minuses that come with being a rookie.

We have guys that could "bounce back" like Gurley and CJ Anderson but that's not a given.

We have guys that have limited roles but have sneaky ppr value like Woodhead, Bernard, Riddick and White.

We have guys that should see heavy workloads but have no real tack record like Gillislee, West, Perkins, Montgomery and some rookies.

We have aging veterans that can still be productive but could fall off the cliff like Gore, Blount, Forte and Peterson.

Its a mess for sure - let's hope these rookies and newcomers pan out this year so next season the landscape is not so rocky.
Agree.

Outside of L. Bell and D. Johnson, I'd say all of them.

I'm hoping some clarity emerges with some preseason games, but this uncertainty has me leaning heavily towards a WR heavy approach.

I think many leagues will be determined by who is "lucky" with some mid round lottery RB picks this season. There's no rhyme or reason to it to me now, but I'm going to take my shots on some of these guys and hope I strike gold.

Jay Ajayi had 3 massive games where he got all of his points. Many of his other games were pretty mediocre, and he had a pretty soft schedule last year. I think he will still be productive due to volume, but I am not sure if I would feel comfortable taking him at his ADP. 

I don't see how anyone can feel sure enough about mixon to justify his adp. 

Montgomery and the patriots backs are good answers too.

Lynch, Blount, Doug Martin, Carlos Hyde, Spencer ware and really any of the saints backs could be total busts without injury and I wouldn't be surprised.  

Tevin Coleman without Shanahan feels like chasing points.  
I'd agree at his adp but he seems to fall fairly often to a point where his risk is worth taking.  I got him for less than gillislee, AD, Blount, perkins or Eddie Lacy. Imo that's worthwhile.

I'd agree at his adp but he seems to fall fairly often to a point where his risk is worth taking.  I got him for less than gillislee, AD, Blount, perkins or Eddie Lacy. Imo that's worthwhile.
I think Coleman is a bargain at his ADP.

Montgomery and Crowell for me. I feel like Montgomery could be a real game changer, but it's a big IF cause he hasn't had a full workload yet. Anyone buying on Ty?

Joe Mixon. 

Reporters have hyped his ability during camp, and I'm buying this. But for him to be worth his ADP, Bernard and need Hill go away completely. I'm not convinced that happens, especially on passing downs.

Montgomery and Crowell for me. I feel like Montgomery could be a real game changer, but it's a big IF cause he hasn't had a full workload yet. Anyone buying on Ty?
I'd say the only uncertainty with Ty Montgomery might be pass protection.  He can be a RB1.

Joe Mixon. 

Reporters have hyped his ability during camp, and I'm buying this. But for him to be worth his ADP, Bernard and need Hill go away completely. I'm not convinced that happens, especially on passing downs.
How is Mixon in pass pro?

Agreed. Outside of Johnson, Bell, and Elliott, the rest are full of questions. I mean, even Bell and Elliott have questions right now.
I'd add McCoy but you're right that the list of backs without significant questions is short.

Agreed. Outside of Johnson, Bell, and Elliott, the rest are full of questions. I mean, even Bell and Elliott have questions right now.
DJ has the least number of questions you can ever possibly imagine for fantasy- this is a rare thing

idk tell me. 
From Profootballfocus:

"Pass protection is an unknown due to heavy use as a receiver. Stayed in to block on less than 20 percent of passing plays, and actually engaged with defenders on even fewer plays. Allowed five pressures on 98 snaps where he stayed in to pass block over two years."

I'd add McCoy but you're right that the list of backs without significant questions is short.
McCoy is another year older and tends to miss a game here and there. He's had a lot of wear on his tires so far. I do like McCoy, but can see why people would pass him over.

Lynch- I still think he is there to sell tickets (life: follow the money trail), and I see a RBBC or injury
Couldn't agree more. I'd rather take a chance on Washington or Richard later in the draft then to spend a top 3 pick on Lynch. He didn't look all that good before he retired. Now, he's been away for a year and everyone still thinks he's a top 15 RB? I'll let them pay to find out.

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather take a chance on Washington or Richard later in the draft then to spend a top 3 pick on Lynch. He didn't look all that good before he retired. Now, he's been away for a year and everyone still thinks he's a top 15 RB? I'll let them pay to find out.
He's going around mcaffery, Hyde, etc.  Would much rather have any of them

Shows what a landmine RB is this year. I'm all about stockpiling after round 4. Kareem Hunt could end up outscoring Lynch. 

Joe Mixon. 

He is being sooo overdrafted right now. He doesn't even have a secure role yet. 

He is being sooo overdrafted right now. He doesn't even have a secure role yet. 
He's the best rb coming out imo. I'd love to have him in dynasty. But he'll never fall low enough for me to take him in redraft, and it bums me out a little.

Powell.  I mean he should see an uptick in targets but really, what will his role be? The offense should be the bottom of the barrel.

let's hope these rookies and newcomers pan out this year so next season the landscape is not so rocky.
I share this wish and I think this years crop is good enough that we will get what we are hoping for.

The question is which ones? I have my favorites but odds are at least some of them fail.

I do expect RB as a whole to have a bit more clarity next season than this one.

Lots: 

Raiders - Marshawn Lynch - how's his conditioning? Will he look like a feature back or a guy who's been away from football for a year? 

SEA - Eddie Lacy - yeah, probably the biggest question on anyone's list. 

ATL - what's the run game going to look like with the new regime? 

LA - will the Rams finally be able to make Gurley into a feature back? 

SF - Hyde looks pretty beastly in camp, but the team around him...yeesh. Could break out in a big way, could be another tease.

Saints - will it be RBBC again? Will Ingram ever get out of the doghouse? 

TB, BALT, SEA, NEP, etc - it's just a bloodbath this year at the position. Very few RBs I'd take with confidence other than DJ and Bell.  :wall:

Lots: 

Raiders - Marshawn Lynch - how's his conditioning? Will he look like a feature back or a guy who's been away from football for a year? 

GB - Eddie Lacy - yeah, probably the biggest question on anyone's list. 

ATL - what's the run game going to look like with the new regime? 

LA - will the Rams finally be able to make Gurley into a feature back? 

SF - Hyde looks pretty beastly in camp, but the team around him...yeesh. Could break out in a big way, could be another tease.

Saints - will it be RBBC again? Will Ingram ever get out of the doghouse? 

TB, BALT, SEA, NEP, etc - it's just a bloodbath this year at the position. Very few RBs I'd take with confidence other than DJ and Bell.  :wall:
Lacy still plays for the Packers?

McCoy is another year older and tends to miss a game here and there. He's had a lot of wear on his tires so far. I do like McCoy, but can see why people would pass him over.
Wear and tear sure but the guy has missed 11 games in 8 years. He's pretty solid. (Now watch him tear something in practice today)

Oops… Brain fart. LOL

He does not. He plays for Seattle. I just drafted him every year he played for the Packers and it's etched in my brain that he's a terrible running back for the Packers. 
he looked like an offensive lineman last year.   it's no wonder he has ankle problems.

Powell.  I mean he should see an uptick in targets but really, what will his role be? The offense should be the bottom of the barrel.
This may end up helping him.  I can see him getting a lot of garbage time points from dump off screens, etc. while the opposing teams just play soft coverage and give up everything underneath.  He will probably be low on TDs, but I can  see a lot of yardage.

Users who are viewing this thread