Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ren hoek

Media Criticism

14 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I don't think ANYONE on the Trump side is complaining.  I think they're doing politics.

They've been saying for 3+ years now how the Dems are trying to undo the 2016 election.  Now they'll push:  "They want to steal it because they think you're stupid."

Yeah, like I said, she's incredibly hypocritical but she knows what to feed the base.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Yeah, like I said, she's incredibly hypocritical but she knows what to feed the base.

She is hypocritical.  I think all politicians are. 

10 minutes ago, Gustavo Fring said:

I think it's pretty clear she drops the hard R here, by accident I'm sure, but you I don't see how you go from Lakers to......that.  If she wasn't a liberal, she'd be a racist.  

Before that she was also talking about the Knicks along with the Lakers and unfortunately blended the two. Sounded more like nickers to me. And yes she was given a pass being on MSNBC but I doubt accusations of racism would have held up for a similar  statement by a conservative on Fox talking about Kobe (after one listens to the clip in context).

Edited by squistion

"Trump is hypocritical about mocking people, so therefore I'm going to give CNN a pass for engaging in the same behavior that I routinely criticize Trump for" is some high quality second-order hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Before that she was also talking about the Knicks along with the Lakers and unfortunately blended the two. Sounded like more like nickers to me. And yes she was given a pass being on MSNBC but I doubt accusations of racism would have held up for a similar  statement by a conservative on Fox talking about Kobe (after one listens to the clip in context).

Let's be honest, we all know isn't true.  Twitter and social media in general would of had a field day if this came out from a Fox News reporter.  

Again, I think it was accident as you mention, but just given the state of the world today it would have been a MUCH different trending story if this was a slip up from a conservative outlet.  

3 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

"Trump is hypocritical about mocking people, so therefore I'm going to give CNN a pass for engaging in the same behavior that I routinely criticize Trump for" is some high quality second-order hypocrisy.

A pass? Or can understand why they show him 0 respect. 

2 hours ago, jm192 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-don-lemon-wajahat-ali-rick-wilson

Don Lemon panel mocks Trump supporters.  Terrible look. 

It’s like a Ricki Lake rerun.  I have a hard time seeing how a news organization supports this kind of behavior.

Every time I see something like that I think to myself, “They’re going to do it again.  He’s going to get re-elected and liberals are going to cry in their Cheerios and wonder what went wrong.”  They can’t help but screw things up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Endowed said:

I have zero respect for Trump, and I also don't think it's good or healthy for an ostensibly objective media outlet to openly mock him or especially his supporters.  

We're just a bunch of middle-aged guys who post anonymously on a magic football forum, and we're literally held to a higher standard than the one you're applying to a network news anchor.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Endowed said:

If they don't like his actions or don't respect him then try an take the high road and not resort to the behavior they complain about. Be the better person.

6 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

If they don't like his actions or don't respect him then try an take the high road and not resort to the behavior they complain about. Be the better person.

Democrats tried that in 2016.

It didn't work.

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

Democrats tried that in 2016.

It didn't work.

They did? Hillary and her comment about deplorables was taking the high road?

1 hour ago, squistion said:

No witnesses or corroboration (including contemporaneous accounts to friends, co-workers or family). So no, I don't believe of a word of it, particularly since Lemon (unlike Trump) does have a history of sexual assault or harassment allegations. 

So I assume you didn't believe Blasey Ford? Since there were no witnesses and no contemporaneous accounts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John Blutarsky said:

They did? Hillary and her comment about deplorables was taking the high road?

That was one incredibly stupid comment to make, but otherwise yeah.

Just a reminder: A week or so ago Trump tweeted out a picture of Pelosi and Schumer in Muslim garb.

But a few guys laughing at Trump being an idiot crosses the line?

Give me a break.

• Like 1

That Lemon/Wilson segment was disgraceful.  Just punching down.  Zero news value.  

20 minutes ago, jonessed said:

It’s like a Ricki Lake rerun.  I have a hard time seeing how a news organization supports this kind of behavior.

Every time I see something like that I think to myself, “They’re going to do it again.  He’s going to get re-elected and liberals are going to cry in their Cheerios and wonder what went wrong.”  They can’t help but screw things up.

Oh come on.  Mike Pompeo actually has unlabled maps printed up so that he can try to catch people not knowing where Ukraine is. As if it would make a differnce anyway. I couldn't pinpoint Chernobyl on a map but I can still think that what happened to the people there sucks.

Anyway, Rick Wilson saying that Trump couldn't find Ukraine if you printed the U and a picture of a crane is hilarious. Because if it isn't true, it absolutely was 4 years ago. And the line cracked Don Lemon up.  Funny things make people laugh.  

2 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

That Lemon/Wilson segment was disgraceful.  Just punching down.  Zero news value.  

Ivanka's reaction made it all worthwhile. 

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Just a reminder: A week or so ago Trump tweeted out a picture of Pelosi and Schumer in Muslim garb.

Give me a break.

It's also Wilson mocking (with that bad southern accent) every southern, conservative voter.

Cross a line? Perhaps not. Also perhaps not the brightest move if you're not trying to rile up Trump's base.

2 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

It's also Wilson mocking (with that bad southern accent) every southern, conservative voter.

Cross a line? Perhaps not. Also perhaps not the brightest move if you're not trying to rile up Trump's base.

Maybe not.

Funny though, I never see anyone complaining that all the trashing of the Dems Fox News does is gonna energize the base and win them the election.

Seems like a double standard to me.

However to be fair, the demonization of the "liberal media" started long before Trump came along.

12 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Give me a break.

I know, you can't make this stuff up. 

9 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Give me a break.

They were laughing at Trump? I thought they were teasing trump supporters. the "boomer rube demo"

But I guess if trump did something bad everybody else is immune from criticism, always. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Give me a break.

You're completely mischaracterizing it, and it's not even worth discussing it if you view the Lemon segment as "laughing at Trump."

They insulted the intelligence of Trump supporters.  It's not even close to what you're claiming it is. 

Politicians attacking each other?  What a horror.

But to call Voters who disagree with you uneducated and unintelligent?  Seems uncalled for to me.  But hey man, keep taking the moral high ground.  You guys are so great at that.

• Like 2

I watched that clip and immediately knew it was going to be viral. I like following Rick Wilson but that segment was terrible, full stop. Yes, that's one time compared to a zillion examples you can pull from TrumpWorld, but it was still bad. The Trump party is also really, really good at amplifying these types of incidents when it happens, whereas when they do it (which is constant) it's noise. The Anti-Trump world, fair or not, is held to a much higher standard.

• Like 3

Also let me say this:

I'm not offended by it.  I'm not calling for them to stop it.  I hope and pray CNN does a segment every day talking about how Republicans are so stupid and uneducated.  Please, hand them the election.  And if you feel that "that won't affect the election," great.  Encourage them to do more of those segments.  I'll eagerly await the results in November. 

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

They were laughing at Trump? I thought they were teasing trump supporters. the "boomer rube demo"

But I guess if trump did something bad everybody else is immune from criticism, always. 

Oh please.

My point was that those clutching their pearls over this while supporting Trump and his actions is ridiculous.

Like I said above, double standard.

Trump is "just being the non-PC Trump we all love and voted for", but the media should walk on eggshells because making Conservatives angry will....make them vote for Trump again.

• Like 3

Oh please.

My point was that those clutching their pearls over this while supporting Trump and his actions is ridiculous.

Like I said above, double standard.

Trump is "just being the non-PC Trump we all love and voted for", but the media should walk on eggshells because making Conservatives angry will....make them vote for Trump again.

C'mon man.  There's a difference in "walking on egg shells" and "Trump supporters are a bunch of uneducated hicks." 

I was really enjoying the back and forth, but you're just not even trying to be fair at this point.

Edited by jm192

Oh please.

I'm pretty sure that everybody supporting CNN in this thread has a long history of clutching their pearls over Trump's juvenile insults.

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

Perhaps.  But I think it strikes someone differently when you call them uneducated for believing differently than you do.  And then you even verbally make statements pretending to be them--portrayinig them as uneducated.

When Trump says he loves uneducated America--it's a knock against the Democratic claim that Trump supporters are largely uneducated. 

People are not called uneducated just for believing differently.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Maybe not.

Funny though, I never see anyone complaining that all the trashing of the Dems Fox News does is gonna energize the base and win them the election.

Seems like a double standard to me.

However to be fair, the demonization of the "liberal media" started long before Trump came along.

Double standard doesn't really fit here. You don't use it to say, hey look at all those women wearing dresses, such a double standard that men aren't wearing dresses. 

Fox news trashing democrats doesn't energize the democratic base.  

1 minute ago, jm192 said:

C'mon man.  There's a difference in "walking on egg shells" and "Trump supporters are a bunch of uneducated hicks." 

I was really enjoying the back and forth, but you're just not even trying to be honest at this point.

How is this any different from conservatives on air making fun of the liberal elites?

It isn't. At all.

Which was my point.

Just now, sho nuff said:

I guess you don't see all the posts here that do exactly that.

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

Double standard doesn't really fit here. You don't use it to say, hey look at all those women wearing dresses, such a double standard that men aren't wearing dresses. 

Fox news trashing democrats doesn't energize the democratic base.  

How do you know that?

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

In short,

Elections are decided by who shows up.  Not by who answers the polls, not by who posts on facebook or footballguys. 

A lot of people support a candidate and don't vote.  People have signs in their yards for months--and then you have to get the kids from football practice, you're tired, you decide 1 vote won't matter.  You're giving those people more purpose.

And I think calling the supporters of a candidate uneducated--is about the biggest slap in the face you can give them.  And as I'm sure you'll point out--Trump has said he loves the uneducated voters--I'm of the belief that that's a knock at the Dems' assertion that Trump supporters are uneducated.

It's a message that's been delivered time and time again since 2016.  We let the dummies decide the election.  And people put it in a facebook message.  Maybe someone says it here or there.  And then here's a major News Network delivering that message.  I suspect people grow more tired of hearing how stupid they are than anything else you can say about them. 

But maybe you're right.  Maybe it won't mean anything. 

Please, keep telling Republicans how stupid they are.  Let's find out together.

I agree...by who shows up.  I don't think the people so insulted by this...were going to stay home.  They were already going to show up.  That is his base...they are already motivated to support him.

I think his actions...have far surpassed insults like this as motivation for people to show up against him.

Nobody told Republicans how stupid they are...just as Hillary didn't tell Republicans they were deplorable.  They were referring to certain specific people in a way.  And while it was stupid of both of them...it wasn't calling everyone those things.

2 minutes ago, Skoo said:

How is this any different from conservatives on air making fun of the liberal elites?

It isn't. At all.

Which was my point.

I guess I missed Fox news talking in their fake California accent to pretend to sound ignorant while imitating Liberals.

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Another option -- and I know this is kind of crazy and out there but hear me out -- is maybe our political leaders and media outlets shouldn't be openly mocking large sections of the population, and we should hold them both to that standard.

Sure...I agree.  I just find it disingenuous for Trump supporters and Trump to complain about such things given his words and the defense of them.

When we complain so much about a guy like Lemon (who was wrong...yes, he was)...but excuse POTUS from the same types of things...then the complaints are pretty hollow.

We probably should hold POTUS to a higher standard than someone like Don Lemon?  But Trump supporters are the opposite it appears...holding the media to a higher standard than they hold POTUS.

4 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Uneducated, immoral, bigot, the list goes on and on.  The Liberals clearly have a hold on being smart and moral. 

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

One is POTUS...the other is a news outlet.  And I don't think many are really giving Lemon a pass.

Just now, sho nuff said:

Sure...I agree.  I just find it disingenuous for Trump supporters and Trump to complain about such things given his words and the defense of them.

When we complain so much about a guy like Lemon (who was wrong...yes, he was)...but excuse POTUS from the same types of things...then the complaints are pretty hollow.

We probably should hold POTUS to a higher standard than someone like Don Lemon?  But Trump supporters are the opposite it appears...holding the media to a higher standard than they hold POTUS.

Let me reassure you for the second time:  There's no complaining here.  I hope they keep it up.  I know you think it won't affect the polls.  So please call CNN and tell them we need more of that. 

And if it was Fox news, you'd be allover it.  It doesn't have to be Trump OR Den Lemon.  Both should be held to a high standard.  But rather than addressing Lemon, you just deflect with talks of Trump. 

You can actually say what Lemon did was bad and still hate Trump.  I know it's hard to believe. 

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

One is POTUS...the other is a news outlet.  And I don't think many are really giving Lemon a pass.

No passes, just deflecting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Uneducated, immoral, bigot, the list goes on and on.  The Liberals clearly have a hold on being smart and moral. 

False...people have been called uneducated for being so...immoral for being so...bigoted for being so.  Not solely because they believe differently politcally.

• Laughing 1

I guess I missed Fox news talking in their fake California accent to pretend to sound ignorant while imitating Liberals.

Guess so.

It's been going on for years.

3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I agree...by who shows up.  I don't think the people so insulted by this...were going to stay home.  They were already going to show up.  That is his base...they are already motivated to support him.

I think his actions...have far surpassed insults like this as motivation for people to show up against him.

Nobody told Republicans how stupid they are...just as Hillary didn't tell Republicans they were deplorable.  They were referring to certain specific people in a way.  And while it was stupid of both of them...it wasn't calling everyone those things.

She called HALF of his Republicans supporters deplorable.

1 minute ago, jm192 said:

Let me reassure you for the second time:  There's no complaining here.  I hope they keep it up.  I know you think it won't affect the polls.  So please call CNN and tell them we need more of that. 

And if it was Fox news, you'd be allover it.  It doesn't have to be Trump OR Den Lemon.  Both should be held to a high standard.  But rather than addressing Lemon, you just deflect with talks of Trump. 

You can actually say what Lemon did was bad and still hate Trump.  I know it's hard to believe. 

Because its about Trump...and the complaints (yes, there have been complaints) have come from Trump and those who support and excuse his behavior.

And yes...I hold POTUS to a bit of a higher standard and still think Lemon is wrong.

I already said it was bad...I said he was wrong.

No passes, just deflecting.

Its comparison...because of the topic and subject of the mocking.  Its relevant to discuss that when the outrage is coming from Trump and his supporters.

Just now, sho nuff said:

False...people have been called uneducated for being so...immoral for being so...bigoted for being so.  Not solely because they believe differently politcally.

But any disagreement leads to a label.  And then the label leads back to uneducated.  Must be nice to be on the party of the good, smart and always right.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Because its about Trump...and the complaints (yes, there have been complaints) have come from Trump and those who support and excuse his behavior.

And yes...I hold POTUS to a bit of a higher standard and still think Lemon is wrong.

I already said it was bad...I said he was wrong.

It was NOT about Trump.  It was very clearly about Trump supporters. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skoo said:

It isn't. At all.

Which was my point.

I agree with you that Don Lemon and Sean hannity criticizing or making fun of the other side is the same thing from a right vs wrong standpoint.

I think the reactions that occur to these things are very different though which is mostly what I am discussing, but I realize that there seem to be multiple discussions going on. 

3 minutes ago, jm192 said:

But any disagreement leads to a label.  And then the label leads back to uneducated.  Must be nice to be on the party of the good, smart and always right.

Again...I don't agree with the premise that any disagreement leads to a label.