Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JFS171

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI

Tarik Cohen rushed one time for no gain and caught 3-of-5 targets for 27 yards in the Bears' Wild Card loss to the Eagles.

Just four touches for Cohen on a day the Bears ran 63 plays is not good. Cohen is the Bears' most electric offensive playmaker, but coach Matt Nagy curiously didn't design many plays for him in this one. Cohen was fun as a rookie last year but was even better in Year 2 with a more imaginative offense. Cohen had 444 yards and three touchdowns on 100 carries in 17 games and caught 74 balls for 752 yards and five more scores. Cohen made the All-Pro first team as a returner, leading the league in punt return yards. Cohen is an exciting fantasy piece, but his floor was really low in a Bears offense that spreads the ball around so much.

Jan 6 - 9:13 PM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Faust said:

Maybe if he touched the ball more they would have scored more than 16 points.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Maybe if he touched the ball more they would have scored more than 16 points.

Yep. Bad gameplan. No Burton and you don't use Cohen? Even dumber is why was Mizell even out there at all?

1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

Yep. Bad gameplan. No Burton and you don't use Cohen? Even dumber is why was Mizell even out there at all?

Mizell and Cunningham on a huge third down carry was puzzling. I'd felt like he scaled back Cohen's usage the last two weeks of the season due to getting him fresh for playoffs and also not wanting to show your hand.  Seeing his odd lack of usage and those scrub's in the game made me wonder if Cohen was banged up in some way but if he is he sure does not show it.

No excuse for the lack of usage. Nagy just isn't that good of a coach. Cohen has proven all year he's their best offensive weapon and when they use him the offense looks much better. Everybody but Nagy sees that apparently........

5 hours ago, Milkman said:

No excuse for the lack of usage. Nagy just isn't that good of a coach. Cohen has proven all year he's their best offensive weapon and when they use him the offense looks much better. Everybody but Nagy sees that apparently........

CHI played not to lose.  They figured scoring 14 or so points would be enough to win.....they were wrong.

No clue why Cohen wasn't involved more in the passing game.  He's such a mismatch against any LB. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

or a rookie... 

They'll probably draft one but are super light on picks and first one is not till late third, then I think they got a 4th and no 5th.

ETA-Travdogg posted after this and they got their 5th, not their 6th.

Edited by menobrown

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

or a rookie... 

That would be a surprising move. Bears only have picks in round 3,4,5, and two 7's, and could use depth at both DB spots, Edge, LB, OL. 

• Like 1

Y'all need to maybe watch Cohen play. 

He's no ball carrying bellcow, but 250 carries just opened up. Give even 50-75 more touches to him and you have yourself a PPR gold mine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zamboni said:

Don’t overlook Mike Davis in that backfield.

As a Bears fan, and not just because I traded for him cheap a few weeks back, I would love to see him lead the backfield this year. Cohen can get a bump, too. And go ahead and draft one late. Bring in like 7 UDFA for camp(s) and see what happens. But I like Mike Davis.

2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

or a rookie... 

How many of these rookies can beat out Mike Davis? A young vet they targeted in FA. I don't think he is special or anything but I like him better than Howard. He'd have to break out to keep him around after this year, but unless the Bears move up for a RB, I have a hard time seeing anybody else entering the season as the starter. It won't be Cohen.

20 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

As a Bears fan, and not just because I traded for him cheap a few weeks back, I would love to see him lead the backfield this year. Cohen can get a bump, too. And go ahead and draft one late. Bring in like 7 UDFA for camp(s) and see what happens. But I like Mike Davis.

how much did you give up

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

how much did you give up

Derek Carr and 3.08. I have Mahomes and it is FFPC style. Carr wasn't going to survive cuts. I don't even know if he will on the other guy's team either. He now has 4 QBs. But I think in his mind he cleared the roster space by moving Davis. IDK.

I might feel around a little more now to see if other owners want to sell. I really don't mind renting one year fantasy RBs unless they are named Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, etc. Gurley would scare the #### out of me right now if I owned him. I already moved Fournette last year because of similar fears. I expect Bell will bounce back this year. But otherwise other than a few studs at the very top, any starting RB that can catch passes has some value. Davis is in his prime and has the starting gig in his sights. He is pretty solid. Or he could still be relegated to a kind of veteran back up role. There is still a lot of risk there before the draft so he may be cheap still. Howard news made his price rise, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Good time to trade Cohen.

hell to the nah. 

This guy finished as RB13 (PPR), last season WITH Howard and his 250 carries

Sell why? No one pays what he's worth, it's a terrible sell

8 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

hell to the nah. 

I dont own him so dont know what people are trying to pay. Just seems like somebody might pay on the expectation of a much increased workload. Dont see it. If I wanted to get him, I'd wait till after the draft.

Just now, cloppbeast said:

I dont own him so dont know what people are trying to pay. Just seems like somebody might pay on the expectation of a much increased workload. Dont see it. If I wanted to get him, I'd wait till after the draft.

who are the bears gonna take w their 5th rnd pick that'll put a dent in Cohen's load?

The guy is absolutely electric and looks set for a top 10 PPR finish, imo

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

who are the bears gonna take w their 5th rnd pick that'll put a dent in Cohen's load?

What about Mike Davis? I thought he looked good in limited action with the Seahawks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

I was unaware the Bears earliest pick was a 5th. Oh well.

Cant argue about Cohens ability. He's a great player with how they used him last year. Do you really think they wont find another Jordan Howard? Mike Davis maybe?

Edited by cloppbeast

6 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

hell to the nah. 

wow...we agree 100%.  That is scary

Edited by Bazinga!

I would think the Bears might like to sign a decent veteran RB for a little depth. If I am looking ta a current list T.J. Yeldon, Jay Ajayi, Spencer Ware or C.J. Anderson might make sense?

16 hours ago, Warhogs said:

I would think the Bears might like to sign a decent veteran RB for a little depth. If I am looking ta a current list T.J. Yeldon, Jay Ajayi, Spencer Ware or C.J. Anderson might make sense?

They already signed Mike Davis. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Warhogs said:

Spencer Ware seems like the obvious choice considering his history in KC with Nagy.

Edited by Nero

On 8/11/2017 at 9:15 PM, -OZ- said:

Love the kid, as I've mentioned in those threads you reference. But I'll have to agree that he's probably better for the bears than fantasy. Could be useful in deep leagues, as you said the sproles comp is overdone but still relevant. I think he could be more Tyreek Hill if they choose to use him that way.

Ok, more sproles than Tyreek.  All aboard the PPR express :)

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yep. Not a huge signing IMO but probably sufficient. Could easily see Anderson too.

3 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

And Cordarelle who they intend to utilize some at RB.

The Chicago Tribune's Rich Campbell believes Tarik Cohen could see fewer carries in 2019.

Cohen carried the ball 99 times behind Jordan Howard last season, but the addition of the more versatile David Montgomery could limit Cohen's opportunities as a traditional running back. That does not mean he will be kept off the field. Campbell speculates Cohen could be used "more as a receiver/joker back," getting him more targets than the 91 he accumulated last season. With Montgomery and Cordarrelle Patterson in the mix, Cohen will have more competition for touches moving forward, but he is too good to keep off the field.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Apr 30, 2019, 9:30 AM ET

How do we think this RBBCx3 is going to affect Cohen's usage/FF value?

Obviously with Davis and Montgomery, it takes a big hit, potentially more so as I've heard whispers that Nagy wants to get away from Cohen and look for a single 3-down back as a workhorse (which seems a waste of talent on the team).

But how do we think this will play out, from a quantitative view (splits/usage) and from a philosophy view in terms of the overall running attack?

Do any of these guys have value aside from depth and potential break out from injury/one back surfacing as the lead over time?

If there is one back you think who will be a lead back by mid/late year, who do you think that will be?

On 3/28/2019 at 8:51 PM, Soulfly3 said:

Y'all need to maybe watch Cohen play. 

He's no ball carrying bellcow, but 250 carries just opened up. Give even 50-75 more touches to him and you have yourself a PPR gold mine

I love Cohen's game, but it's unlikely that he will get more than 100 carries.  Still has good PPR value, and I would love to see CHI use Cohen and either Montgomery/Davis in the same backfield.  Cohen is such a matchup nightmare against linebackers.

28 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

How do we think this RBBCx3 is going to affect Cohen's usage/FF value?

At first I was lowering his value a little but read two different Bears beat writers who both are of the opinion that while his carries likely decrease his receptions increase which frankly for PPR fantasy is what I'd consider good news. 

If anyone thinks a RB who caught over 70 passes does not have a lot of growth potential in the receiving game this is where I keep saying it looks to me like the Bears are building the Saints of the midwest and Cohen is their Sproles. During Sproles 3 year tenure he averaged 7.45 targets per game.  Cohen averaged 5.5 last year.

He basically got your 3.8 fantasy points a game as a runner last year  on a little over 6 carries a game and 10.8  fantasy points per game as a receiver on the 5.5 targets a game. During Sproles 3 year run in NOLA he gave you 3.1 fantasy points a game as a runner on 4.2 carries a game and  11.95 fantasy points a game as a receiver at 7.45 targets a game.

I expect something pretty similar for Cohen, would anticipate him hitting range of 80-100% of that type of production. Consistency will be main issue but should be rock solid 12-15 PPG RB2 option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, menobrown said:

At first I was lowering his value a little but read two different Bears beat writers who both are of the opinion that while his carries likely decrease his receptions increase which frankly for PPR fantasy is what I'd consider good news. 

If anyone thinks a RB who caught over 70 passes does not have a lot of growth potential in the receiving game this is where I keep saying it looks to me like the Bears are building the Saints of the midwest and Cohen is their Sproles. During Sproles 3 year tenure he averaged 7.45 targets per game.  Cohen averaged 5.5 last year.

He basically got your 3.8 fantasy points a game as a runner last year  on a little over 6 carries a game and 10.8  fantasy points per game as a receiver on the 5.5 targets a game. During Sproles 3 year run in NOLA he gave you 3.1 fantasy points a game as a runner on 4.2 carries a game and  11.95 fantasy points a game as a receiver at 7.45 targets a game.

I expect something pretty similar for Cohen, would anticipate him hitting range of 80-100% of that type of production. Consistency will be main issue but should be rock solid 12-15 PPG RB2 option.

My question to you is why do you expect it?  The offseason moves and draft indicate that there are multiple players in that backfield who are very capable as receivers, the actual receivers now have more experience and a higher comfort level with Trubisky, Trubisky now has more experience and a higher comfort level with the offensive coordinator and coach. 

This reads to me like there will be fewer situations where Cohen is the target simply because there are multiple viable options available elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

My question to you is why do you expect it? 

For starters Bears beat writers are not trying to fluff up Cohen or his fantasy value. When they say they think his role in the passing game is going to increase it's a good starting point.

Cohen is a mismatch versatile player who they continually talk about throwing a lot of things at and I believe continually are looking to EXPAND his role, not reduce it.

1 minute ago, menobrown said:

For starters Bears beat writers are not trying to fluff up Cohen or his fantasy value. When they say they think his role in the passing game is going to increase it's a good starting point.

Cohen is a mismatch versatile player who they continually talk about throwing a lot of things at and I believe continually are looking to EXPAND his role, not reduce it.

To make sure I'm entirely clear, you are basing your opinion on Cohen 100% on what beat writers are saying and not on the moves that the team has actually made?

1 minute ago, tangfoot said:

To make sure I'm entirely clear, you are basing your opinion on Cohen 100% on what beat writers are saying and not on the moves that the team has actually made?

Beat writers, good one's, are usually the best source of team info but no it's not 100% why and I think I explained that in great detail already. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Beat writers, good one's, are usually the best source of team info but no it's not 100% why and I think I explained that in great detail already.

Yes, I read your opinion, I'm just not buying it.  I think we've seen Peak Cohen and should sell high.

1 minute ago, tangfoot said:

Yes, I read your opinion, I'm just not buying it.  I think we've seen Peak Cohen and should sell high.

Yes it's obvious you don't agree. Could have just said that initially instead of trying to make me play 20 questions.

Selling high ship already sailed.

Just now, tangfoot said:

I think we’ve seen typical use Cohen, and I expect a solid RB2 ppr RB until such time he loses the electric open field ability that he currently possesses.  Just don’t think Montgomery/Davis are going to really limit his 3rd down usage , two minute drill usage, and late game usage when the Bears are trailing.  He should be a near lock for 60 catches, with upside for more.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Selling high ship already sailed.

???

Now I'm completely lost.  You are expecting him to be Sproles, increase his targets, and presumably catches and fantasy points, and yet his trading value has already peaked?  That seems like a logical inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

???

Now I'm completely lost.  You are expecting him to be Sproles, increase his targets, and presumably catches and fantasy points, and yet his trading value has already peaked?  That seems like a logical inconsistency.

If you don't understand the concept that where I value a player is not consistent with his current market value then you are truly lost.

You also have some inaccuracies in your last statement but not my job to clear it your misrepresentation of what I just wrote. 

Besides Montgomery and Davis the Bears also added Cordarralle Patterson who is kind of an offensive weapon similar to Cohen.

They have a diverse set of weapons to work with. That doesn't lead me to think Cohens slice of the offensive pie is getting bigger.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Besides Montgomery and Davis the Bears also added Cordarralle Patterson who is kind of an offensive weapon similar to Cohen.

They have a diverse set of weapons to work with. That doesn't lead me to think Cohens slice of the offensive pie is getting bigger.

I've been wondering about Patterson as well.  Seems like their could be a very creative use of their now many weapons on offense, which may make for a more useful NFL offense but could water down the results of all of the offensive skill guys.  Could make for a lot of deception for D's to game plan against and inconsistency for fantasy owners relying on Chicago players.

Need to see how training camp evolves and how they use these guys.

1 hour ago, tangfoot said:

My question to you is why do you expect it?  The offseason moves and draft indicate that there are multiple players in that backfield who are very capable as receivers, the actual receivers now have more experience and a higher comfort level with Trubisky, Trubisky now has more experience and a higher comfort level with the offensive coordinator and coach. 

This reads to me like there will be fewer situations where Cohen is the target simply because there are multiple viable options available elsewhere.

46 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Great points -- Cordarrelle will take away the jet sweeps/end around Cohen got, as well as ST (Cohen returned both P and Ks, but was more prevalent on Ps and ranked first overall for PRs and PR yards, and 5th in Y/PR).

While the Bears receiving unit altogether isn't super scary, they have guys like Robinson, Gabriel, and Anthony Miller, with Ridley added in the draft as the Bears 2nd pick in the draft, so clearly they put beefing up their receiving corps as a focus.

To me, all of this means that if COhen is being used less in the run game, his opportunity in the receiving game is also at risk. Despite what any beat writers are saying right now.

Sounds like even in PPR he may be an avoid, which is incredible given how valuable and productive he was in all aspects of the game last year.

As Joe says, things move fast around here.