What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (2 Viewers)

Ummmmm yeah. Basically Nagy and the bears have emasculated Cohen and he's just the premier 3rd down back in the league. Meh whatever. Nagy is gone after this year if he doesn't win......and leaving one of your best offensive players on the sideline 2/3rds of the time isn't going to help you win. 

See ya Nagy!

He’s so overrated. Hasn’t shown anything to justify his reputation. His record has a lot to do with the strength of their defense.

For the Cohen truthers such as myself there is no reason to stay in here and fight the good fight. It's clear the Bears don't believe in Cohen as a major weapon either. That's why they brought in two more pass catching backs and don't seem to want to run the ball with Cohen. 

He'll still have some value playing as a 3rd down back and slot WR but he won't be cracking the top 12 RB in FF.

It'll still be funny when they use him like they should week 8 or something and he goes crazy scores 40 points bears win by 30. Then the following week they'll ignore him score 3 points and lose by 30. Lolol

Last edited by a moderator:
Projected Week 1 points: 14.32

Actual Week 1 points: 14.34

(full PPR / 1 pt per 25 return yards)

My opponent started Montgomery & Trubisky.

Win probability: 71%

I didn't see those explosive spots where they get Cohen matched up against a LB. Hence why there was no explosive plays for him. Also why the Bears lost. 

I didn't see those explosive spots where they get Cohen matched up against a LB. Hence why there was no explosive plays for him. Also why the Bears lost. 
Not throwing the ball over 40 times and having a balanced offense would have gone a long way.  I don't think it all had to do with using Cohen more.

Not throwing the ball over 40 times and having a balanced offense would have gone a long way.  I don't think it all had to do with using Cohen more.
When they feature Cohen their offense is a lot more successful. He's very Tyreek like.........but I'll just leave at that. I don't feel like debating why I think Nagy needs to go. I'll just sit back and watch it all burn. 

With the addition of Montgomery, I was afraid Cohen would lose carries and maybe even see a slight downtick in catches. 

He's kind of confusing after last night and you obviously can't draw any conclusions from 1 game. 

No rushes is very concerning.  But then you look up and he's got 8 catches.  Could easily be a PPR gem again.

With the addition of Montgomery, I was afraid Cohen would lose carries and maybe even see a slight downtick in catches. 

He's kind of confusing after last night and you obviously can't draw any conclusions from 1 game. 

No rushes is very concerning.  But then you look up and he's got 8 catches.  Could easily be a PPR gem again.

Or at least a PPR gem when the Bears are playing catch-up or until they establish a more balanced attack. They might realize that they don't want to rely on Trubisky to provide the offense and that they need to focus more on the ground game.  Of course, we can't read too much into one game. It also seemed both teams would have benefited from actually playing the starters some in the preseason. 

I have to believe that was almost peak cohen.  43 passes and it seemed like a ton of them went to the backs

He's a better Theo Riddick. He's a useful depth piece that has some upside due to his big play ability. Stop overthinking this. 

He's a better Theo Riddick. He's a useful depth piece that has some upside due to his big play ability. Stop overthinking this. 
pretty much.  Or a more dynamic James White.  I was hoping for a Brian Westbrook type, but we'll see how the season rolls. 

Better Theo Riddick, more dynamic James White..... Are these insults or compliments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Better Theo Riddick, more dynamic James White..... Are these insults or compliments?
I've been on board before the draft, just think he could be more involved in the run game. But Monty will probably be good enough to make it a heck of a rbbc.

Tarik Cohen earned 18 yards on four carries while notching two catches for seven yards on five targets Sunday in Chicago’s Week 2 triumph over the Broncos.

Cohen was slightly more involved in the Bears' rushing attack this week after essentially operating as their slot receiver in Week 1, but was mostly a non-factor, submitting just 25 yards on six touches while seeing fewer snaps (22) than ascendant rookie David Montgomery (27). We're not sure what to make of Cohen's early usage, though it stands to reason that Montgomery's presence will work against him from a fantasy perspective. Perhaps we'll get a clearer window into Cohen's role when the Bears travel to Washington to face the Redskins on Monday Night Football next week.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:55 PM ET

So.....what do we do with this guy now in dynasty? I guess you can only hold and hope for something to change - it seems like there is zero commitment to involving him as a receiver (post week 1) or doing anything vaguely interesting with him.

Tarik Cohen rushed four times for -2 yards and caught 2-of-4 targets for 26 yards in the Bears' Week 3 win over the Redskins Monday night.

Cohen has turned 22 touches into 98 scoreless yards through three games to open the season. Drafted as a mid-round RB3, Cohen has fallen drastically short of those expectations and simply cannot be trusted in fantasy lineups right now. David Montgomery got 16 touches in this one and isn't leaving much meat on the bone for Cohen in an offense that has been stuck in neutral for most of its three games. Cohen is not start-able for Week 4 against the Vikings.

Sep 23, 2019, 11:51 PM ET

Relax.  Montgomery is a rookie and will likely hit a wall at some point.  It is a long season.

I think Nagy would have preferred to have stuck with Cohen longer early in the season, but I suspect we will see more from him later. Every team needs 2 RBs in the NFL today.  

Relax.  Montgomery is a rookie and will likely hit a wall at some point.  It is a long season.

I think Nagy would have preferred to have stuck with Cohen longer early in the season, but I suspect we will see more from him later. Every team needs 2 RBs in the NFL today.  
I also think Nagy wises up and uses more of a two-back set with Montgomery in the backfield and Cohen in the slot or split wide. Don't know why they don't do that more often, it utilizes Cohen's strength. Maybe Trubisky needs to develop a better RPO game to assist that look, I don't know.

I also think Nagy wises up and uses more of a two-back set with Montgomery in the backfield and Cohen in the slot or split wide. Don't know why they don't do that more often, it utilizes Cohen's strength. Maybe Trubisky needs to develop a better RPO game to assist that look, I don't know.
I think Chicago needs to establish something that teams have to stop on offense.  Right now, it is Montgomery and the receiver with the best matchup (it seems).  

Currently Cohen is tied with McCaffrey and Ekeler for 3rd most targets by a RB so far at 19.

This is 6.3 targets per game and over 16 games would be 101 targets.

The problem so far is that Cohen has only caught 63% of his targets so far. 

A RB catches 73% of their targets on average. I know Cohen has been getting a lot of targets as a WR and 63% isn't a bad conversion rate for a WR. It is below average for RB type targets though.

Cohen is currently on pace for 43 rushing attempts 101 targets 63 receptions. If we assume that Cohen ends up with his career averages of ypc and ypr this would be 185 rushing yards 536 yards.

This is well below Cohens previous rushing numbers and also receiving numbers.

I did try to warn those interested in Cohen as a starting RB that he is a player similar to Theo Riddick. Perhaps better than Riddick but similar role in the offense. Riddick had a year with even more receptions than Cohens current high of 71 last season.

I am not really surprised by this and I don't know if things are going to improve for Cohen going forward.

Cohen has played on 105 offensive snaps so far this season. This is 53.3% of the offensive snaps. Only Robinson and Gabriel have played more offensive snaps than Cohen out of the Bears skill players. Last season (Cohens best so far) he only played on 36% of the Bears offensive snaps. So Cohen is actually playing more so far this season than he did last season.

I do think Cohen is going to have some good games. I also think you can pick match ups against poor defenses as a time to play Cohen. I would not recommend him this week. Cohen has not done well against the Vikings in 4 games so far. On the flip side of this though I am not sure if Barr will be back in the lineup or not. Last week the Raiders tried to pick on back up SLB Eric WIlson and maybe the Bears will too (using Cohen) if Barr doesn't play.

I do think there are better games ahead. Cohens performance should improve towards his average over the course of the season. I am tempted to say Cohen is a buy based on negative outlook on him right now and the high level of opportunity, but I am guessing Cohen holders still asking more than I would want to give up for a player I might only consider starting for a few games this year.

[snip]

I do think there are better games ahead. Cohens performance should improve towards his average over the course of the season. I am tempted to say Cohen is a buy based on negative outlook on him right now and the high level of opportunity, but I am guessing Cohen holders still asking more than I would want to give up for a player I might only consider starting for a few games this year.
This last part is how I see it. Value is too low to sell and that works both ways, since you'll only get low-ball offers based on his current, perceived-as-low value. To be fair, though, I couldn't offload him as part of packages to upgrade other areas even at the end of last season when his value wasn't seen as low. He's a lot like Breida in that regard... nobody seems to believe. 

What's fair, a 2020 2nd? 
I drafted him in at 4.04 in 2017 rookie draft and would take a second. I wouldn't expect anyone to give an early 2nd. I'd be happy with a mid, less happy but still likely take a late 2nd. But I don't think anyone would give that for him.

You guys should have traded him before the season when they drafted a pass catching back and signed another one. The writing was on the wall. 

You guys should have traded him before the season when they drafted a pass catching back and signed another one. The writing was on the wall. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To be fair, Davis has now been phased out completely so he's irrelevant to Cohen's production. I think the issue is more Nagy's misuse of him than anything Montgomery has done. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To be fair, Davis has now been phased out completely so he's irrelevant to Cohen's production. I think the issue is more Nagy's misuse of him than anything Montgomery has done. 

When they feature Cohen their offense is a lot more successful. He's very Tyreek like.........but I'll just leave at that. I don't feel like debating why I think Nagy needs to go. I'll just sit back and watch it all burn. 
Ok

Users who are viewing this thread