What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (1 Viewer)

Bloom says 50+% this week (FWIW... I believe he had C-Mike at 50% back in his dallas days before he was even activated). A lot of potential to be a difference maker in PPR leagues. Standard I'd pass as well. But if this guy gets 6-10 targets a game, and it works out to about 5-6 receptions a game (for even 30-60 yards), that's at best 12 points a week. IMO that's his floor. Single digit touches (5-6) but in PPR still producing what I would consider a pretty reasonable RB2 and a heck of a flex play. 

I'll go more than I usually do. I play too conservative. What am I saving that money for anyways... RBs in my league are all gobbled up. Chances of scoring a RB like this in my league is rare. I fully expect someone to go 100%. Could be worth it if you're desperate I guess. We are in a PPR league. Many teams are RB starved. I'd say I am sitting fair to good. If I have an injury I'll be SOL for depth, surviving off of Chris Thompson potentially as a fill in bye weeker, which isn't so bad if he can get 5 catches (cohen's floor IMO)

Like I said, every time I read something about him or come in here my bid gets a little higher... I should stop... (as I log onto my yahoo app and increase my bid another 5%)
I like the self-awareness. i'm in a league where guys have over 50% of their FAAB at the end of the season, and it makes no sense to me. I think you look at other situations around the league (i.e. Arizona, where DJ goes down and you likely have a committee), and figure out how bad you need a RB. I would think if you are short on your roster for RB talent, Cohen should have a nice floor in PPR and it isn't like this is the kind of guy where film is the cure all. He is quick and his acceleration is one of the best I have seen in the league this year. He won't just vanish

I like the self-awareness. i'm in a league where guys have over 50% of their FAAB at the end of the season, and it makes no sense to me. I think you look at other situations around the league (i.e. Arizona, where DJ goes down and you likely have a committee), and figure out how bad you need a RB. I would think if you are short on your roster for RB talent, Cohen should have a nice floor in PPR and it isn't like this is the kind of guy where film is the cure all. He is quick and his acceleration is one of the best I have seen in the league this year. He won't just vanish
I agree on the $ at the end of the season.

But I've played long enough to know that it's a long season. I'm not spending half of my bid $ on a guy that will probably end up with less than half the RB snaps because he had a good game at home against Atlanta in week 1

I agree on the $ at the end of the season.

But I've played long enough to know that it's a long season. I'm not spending half of my bid $ on a guy that will probably end up with less than half the RB snaps because he had a good game at home against Atlanta in week 1
I would say your scenario is just as likely as him getting 80 receptions and 1000 all purpose yards. 

Even if he just keeps like half of those targets plus the runs every week he's almost a rb2.  He's not getting 100 yards a game but man he's got more big gains coming. I see a few long TDS this year.  He returns punts too right?

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that makes Cohen attractive to me as a pickup is that he was getting targets on deep routes, stuff you don't normally see a pass catching back get. This isn't an example where a guy gets 12 targets because the QB is just dumping down to him as a play broke down (though there is a fair share of that). I view Cohen as a poor man's Tyreek Hill, he's on a team with no other real playmakers outside of the RB1. They are going to do what they can to get the ball in his hand. I know he doesn't have Hills talent, but if Hill and Hunt can both be strong fantasy options, I can see a scenario where both Howard and Cohen can be viable plays. 

The thing that makes Cohen attractive to me as a pickup is that he was getting targets on deep routes, stuff you don't normally see a pass catching back get. This isn't an example where a guy gets 12 targets because the QB is just dumping down to him as a play broke down (though there is a fair share of that). I view Cohen as a poor man's Tyreek Hill, he's on a team with no other real playmakers outside of the RB1. They are going to do what they can to get the ball in his hand. I know he doesn't have Hills talent, but if Hill and Hunt can both be strong fantasy options, I can see a scenario where both Howard and Cohen can be viable plays. 
my assessment as well. I will hopefully be celebrating tomorrow AM.

I'll be surprised if I get outbid, but I think someone will do 100% honestly

I think he may have better hands than Hill and probably a little more shifty. Hill has a burner gear that nobody can touch and that is his best quality. Waldman preached that Cohen is a highly rated scheme-based prospect. If the Bears continue to make an effort to get Cohen the ball in space he has the talent to be successful.

The word leading up to the season was that was how they were going to use him, like Tyreek Hill. With all due respect to Hill, who I admire a great deal and believe him to be the fastest man in the NFL with pads on,  I'm not ready to call Cohen a poor mans anything right now.

I view his ceiling in PPR as 80+ receptions, and over 1000  total purpose yards as another poster said, plus he returns punts/kicks and I can definitely see him scoring there too... think Darren Sproles (5'6" 190lbs) esque in his prime Tarik Cohen (5'6" 181lbs)... The Bears have said all pre-season long that they plan to get him the ball 8-12 times a game... 13 touches week 1, and after his week 1 performance there is no way they don't make an effort to get him the ball in space... the Bears have crap at WR and Cohen showed his explosiveness and how much of a weapon that they have.. the Bears will be behind most of their games this season I would imagine and will likely need to throw to try to catch up

I lost David Johnson, Have TY Montgomery as my #1 now, and my back ups are Matt Forte, and Jamaal Charles because originally I had planned on being more conservative before spending a lot of my waiver wire money.. That plan has gone to #### now... i'll be spending all of my money because I don't have a choice if I want to have a chance to be in contention this season you gotta take risks

If for some reason he doesn't pan out.. i'll just look to pick up players during the week that have potential and do research like always... i won't freak out.. I got Jordan Howard in all 4 leagues last year because I picked him up a week before Langford #### the bed and didn't have to spend a dime... 

Waiver wire money is over rated

I view his ceiling in PPR as 80+ receptions, and over 1000  total purpose yards as another poster said, plus he returns punts/kicks and I can definitely see him scoring there too... think Darren Sproles (5'6" 190lbs) esque in his prime Tarik Cohen (5'6" 181lbs)... The Bears have said all pre-season long that they plan to get him the ball 8-12 times a game... 13 touches week 1, and after his week 1 performance there is no way they don't make an effort to get him the ball in space... the Bears have crap at WR and Cohen showed his explosiveness and how much of a weapon that they have.. the Bears will be behind most of their games this season I would imagine and will likely need to throw to try to catch up

I lost David Johnson, Have TY Montgomery as my #1 now, and my back ups are Matt Forte, and Jamaal Charles because originally I had planned on being more conservative before spending a lot of my waiver wire money.. That plan has gone to #### now... i'll be spending all of my money because I don't have a choice if I want to have a chance to be in contention this season you gotta take risks

If for some reason he doesn't pan out.. i'll just look to pick up players during the week that have potential and do research like always... i won't freak out.. I got Jordan Howard in all 4 leagues last year because I picked him up a week before Langford #### the bed and didn't have to spend a dime... 

Waiver wire money is over rated
must

stop

checking

this

thread...

(increases faab)

menobrown said:
The word leading up to the season was that was how they were going to use him, like Tyreek Hill. With all due respect to Hill, who I admire a great deal and believe him to be the fastest man in the NFL with pads on,  I'm not ready to call Cohen a poor mans anything right now.
That's fair, I'm really high on Cohen as well. I have just seen too many of these conversations devolve into a "Hill is much better" tangent. Obviously Hill has shown us much more and a conversation comparing the two serves no one. 

The one thing I didn't mention was how much I liked the week one wildcat play. It showed me two things, the Bears are designing plays specifically to get him involved, and they are willing to get creative to make it happen. 

Bears are one step above the Jets....do you really think this team can support two full time fantasy starting RB's...?....they can plan as much as they want but this team is not very good and took advantage of an ATL team that struggles with covering RB's...I may miss out but I'm pumping the breaks....

always hate seeing what everyone else bid on guys (I bid too much on cohen), but no regrets. seems like there were some fairly high bids but nothing close to mine. I'm ok with it, will have to be smart with ww adds from here on.

likely starting over crowell

always hate seeing what everyone else bid on guys (I bid too much on cohen), but no regrets. seems like there were some fairly high bids but nothing close to mine. I'm ok with it, will have to be smart with ww adds from here on.

Out of curiosity what were the other bids in your league.  I'm thinking 55% right now.  I agree that it hurts to see how much less you could have spent, but it feels even worse to miss your guy by a couple bucks.

Got him in both my money leagues.  Sitting the bench for now though.

Can't start him over west, k. Allen in one

Can't start him over cook or Gordon in the other.  

Wish he had wr eligibility

Bears are one step above the Jets....do you really think this team can support two full time fantasy starting RB's...?....they can plan as much as they want but this team is not very good and took advantage of an ATL team that struggles with covering RB's...I may miss out but I'm pumping the breaks....
He looked like a player, but Atlanta also didn't account for him. Once he's gameplanned for, especially when the Bears have little else for weapons, he'll be easier to stop. 

Out of curiosity what were the other bids in your league.  I'm thinking 55% right now.  I agree that it hurts to see how much less you could have spent, but it feels even worse to miss your guy by a couple bucks.
I didn't want to miss out on single digits so I went 62. next highest was 32, then 21. so my original idea of 50 would have been plenty but as I said above, I'm usually spending like 30 on a joker near the end because I have so much so I don't mind. I have no more room for a we pickup anyways and this guy is a league difference maker

He looked like a player, but Atlanta also didn't account for him. Once he's gameplanned for, especially when the Bears have little else for weapons, he'll be easier to stop. 
I always kind of chuckle at this, as if one game is suddenly going to cause teams to account for a guy... 

I don't know how Atlanta could have been caught by surprise when Chicago said they wanted to get him the ball. but I can get behind teams realizing that this guy is a big part of their offense and will account for him, but does that make him "easier to defend?" teams game plan for a lot of players, such as sproles, does he have a terrible career?

at what point during the Atlanta game do you think the coaches said, "hmmm this cohen guy is getting the ball a lot, why don't we put someone on him?" it's not like game plan is due at the start of the game and can't be changed

I didn't want to miss out on single digits so I went 62. next highest was 32, then 21. so my original idea of 50 would have been plenty but as I said above, I'm usually spending like 30 on a joker near the end because I have so much so I don't mind. I have no more room for a we pickup anyways and this guy is a league difference maker
Fwiw, I initially put a bid in for 47, but after reading this thread all day I upped my bid to 62. Got him and the next highest was 56. So, my initial bid would have fallen short & thanks to all the positive talk here, I was able to nab him. 

As mentioned above, while it sucks to see how much you overbid, it sucks more getting outbid by a few bucks when you were willing to go higher. 

Fwiw, I initially put a bid in for 47, but after reading this thread all day I upped my bid to 62. Got him and the next highest was 56. So, my initial bid would have fallen short & thanks to all the positive talk here, I was able to nab him. 

As mentioned above, while it sucks to see how much you overbid, it sucks more getting outbid by a few bucks when you were willing to go higher. 
exactly. last year someone went 60 on a rb that did not have the upside as cohen. I didn't want to miss out since I was willing to go higher as well. 

I think I am going to up mine to 62 also.  I'm not sure who I would be saving the money for anyway. 

It's kind of difficult to game-plan for Cohen's kind of suddenness. He has that quick twitch nastiness that leaves defenders covering their heads in shame during the following weeks film study.

So yeah they may scheme more for him and it will alter outcomes a little, but those outcomes aren't guaranteed to be positive because there is only so much they can do with a guy like this.

It's kind of difficult to game-plan for Cohen's kind of suddenness. He has that quick twitch nastiness that leaves defenders covering their heads in shame during the following weeks film study.

So yeah they may scheme more for him and it will alter outcomes a little, but those outcomes aren't guaranteed to be positive because there is only so much they can do with a guy like this.
I'd like to think teams scheme for players all the time... but for some reason the good players still put up good statistics. One could say that Hunt won't be successful the rest of the season for this same reason. I think that's bonkers. A good player is going to get the ball and put up statistics. It's why OC and DC have jobs; to get their players the ball/prevent the offense from doing what they want. If it was as easy as "planning for PlayerX" then no one would be good on offense... 

I overbid on Cohen at 41% of FAAB and got him. Next highest was only 15%. I'm OK with the overpay since I think Cohen is a potential difference-maker this season. Very explosive player who the Bears will use all over the field this season.

Yeah I don't think the guys throwing shade here have really watched Cohen play.  I've said it 3 times now, but he just jumps off the screen.  He's got very good hands, and he's extremely shifty.  Looking at his targets, seven came on routes out of the backfield, four came on routes out of the slot (some in bunch formations which make it difficult to track a single guy), and one from lining up as the outside receiver, plus he ran the wildcat handing off to Howard.  

It's easy to say you can scheme to stop that, but Cohen's too quick and shifty for most LBs to cover and saw 7 targets out of the backfield, inherently designed to match him up on LBs.  He's going to be a handful for most safeties, and in base D if he gets motioned out of the backfield to the slot, he's going to get a safety or a LB covering him.  You can't really cover a guy out of the backfield with a DB unless you play Nickel or Dime, at which point Chicago will likely adjust and put both Cohen and Howard in the backfield ... so what do you do?

From @SameSongNDance -- Every touch/target from this Sunday.  Just go watch.  Those invoking Tyreek Hill's name are doing so because of the target he gets at the 1:35 mark of that video.

Cohen owners are you starting him this week?  Some asked whether he will gain WR eligibility.  The only way that happens is if the team lists him as a WR on their official depth chart.

$58 out of $100 in one league. Low $50s was the next highest bid. 9 teams bid at least $24

$620 out of $1000 in another league. Next highest was $460. Last year two teams bid over $500 for a rb. Played it safe.

In one of my leagues with a $100 budget I bid $23 and he went for $27.  I’m not hurting at RB so I’m fine with it and I don’t feel any more scared by the team that picked him up now than I did yesterday.  I don’t think Cohen is a guy who can win your league for you, I see him as more of a glorified Darren Sproles that caught the Falcons off guard.   I think he will have a solid role in the Chicago passing game due to all their other injuries, so he has value.  However, even if Howard goes down, I  don’t think his value will change much.  If you need a flex, he probably has a pretty decent floor and I think we have already seen his ceiling.  That being said I lost Johnson in a few other leagues and will probably up my bid a bit to try to get him in those leagues. 

There seems to be a handful of people here who are super pumped about this guy which gives me optimism that maybe I’m wrong, but to say this type of player can’t be planned for or stopped seems a little far-fetched to me.  No one is unstoppable in the NFL and if that were the case, every team in the NFL would have a guy just like him and just throw it to the unstoppable guy every time.  Keep in mind the guy is 5’6” and weighs 180 which is smaller than Sproles.   I don’t think you let a guy that small touch the ball 15+ times a game as there is no way he holds up.  I think in PPR he will give you a solid 8-12 points each week but he will be hard pressed to break 20 points again.  I just don’t see the point in blowing your budget on a player like this.  I would first ask myself how much I would be willing to spend on Darren Sproles right now and try to apply that logic when bidding on Cohen.  I would be more worried about blowing my wad in week 1 on Cohen and not having enough money left to get a guy later on who could actually win you your league. 

Cohen owners are you starting him this week?  Some asked whether he will gain WR eligibility.  The only way that happens is if the team lists him as a WR on their official depth chart.
Just snagged him over jaquizzi, and will be starting him along side Hunt.

DJ owner :(

I always kind of chuckle at this, as if one game is suddenly going to cause teams to account for a guy... 

I don't know how Atlanta could have been caught by surprise when Chicago said they wanted to get him the ball. but I can get behind teams realizing that this guy is a big part of their offense and will account for him, but does that make him "easier to defend?" teams game plan for a lot of players, such as sproles, does he have a terrible career?

at what point during the Atlanta game do you think the coaches said, "hmmm this cohen guy is getting the ball a lot, why don't we put someone on him?" it's not like game plan is due at the start of the game and can't be changed
You chuckle at it?  Yes, in the first game of the season, defenses don't have tape yet of what a particular offense is going to do.  Especially one with a new QB and a rookie RB like Cohen.  I imagine Tampa will put the tape on and make sure Cohen doesn't get lost when he's on the field. 

Sproles was typically on offenses with multiple weapons that needed to be accounted for.  Who else do defenses need to worry about when they play the Bears?

I'm not saying he didn't look good.  He did.  But, the big plays may be harder to come by when more defenders pay attention to where he's at on the field.

Sitting with the #1 waiver wire priority, and hoping to save it... It was an easy decision when Woodhead, who is on our Bench, went down. Tarik Hill fills the void at thin RB's and is in the starting lineup alongside Zeke. Abdullah goes back to the Bench sitting their with Mixon.

I heard someone say Defenses will key on him? What about Tyreek Hill, who is our Flex? No one seems to have an answer for him either.

Thanks to all for sharing faab info. As a bear fan, I struggle weighing everything that goes in to cohens outlook. Kids has special ability, but i can see decent defensive coaches being able to scheme to limit cohen.. mostly due to the fact the bear wr and qb are just awful.I  It just feels like he has end of season low end rb2 scoring potential with widely varying results week to week. I'm not sure he has sproles one amazing ppr season potential this year on this bad bears offense.

You chuckle at it?  Yes, in the first game of the season, defenses don't have tape yet of what a particular offense is going to do.  Especially one with a new QB and a rookie RB like Cohen.  I imagine Tampa will put the tape on and make sure Cohen doesn't get lost when he's on the field. 

Sproles was typically on offenses with multiple weapons that needed to be accounted for.  Who else do defenses need to worry about when they play the Bears?

I'm not saying he didn't look good.  He did.  But, the big plays may be harder to come by when more defenders pay attention to where he's at on the field.
Yes. I think it's a lazy argument, no offense. As if these types of role players are only good for one game. If that were the case Danny Woodhead would not have had any success in SD... because after Allen went down and Gates looked awful/beat up... who else did defenses need to worry about when they played the Chargers last year? 

I think the "teams have tape" is more applicable to a player's second season. Because no one knows what works vs a particular player, they can only guess. Year 2 teams have up to 16 games of tape and can study all off season how teams use a particular player. 

If what you said is true, no rookie would ever have a great season because teams would have tape after game 1 and would stop them easier. 

Do teams not plan against Derrick Henry? How come he does so well when he gets in? Cohen may not be on the same level as Henry, but he is as important part of the Chicago Bear offense as Henry is in TEN at the very least.

You act as if Atlanta was caught with their pants down, and now that teams see this no team will be caught off guard. Sure, fair point, however does Atlanta have the ability to change their defensive play calling during the game? How come they didn't? My point is, they likely did and Chicago still was able to get him the ball.

Big plays may not be a weekly thing... I don't think anyone is saying he's going to score a 45 yard TD every week. But the fact that Chicago looks to include him as an importnat part of their passing game, and he gets return yards... it all means Chicago wants his hands on the ball as often as they can. 

As I said above... 6 catches for 45 yards and 4 returns for 60yds is worth 14.5 points in my league. That's RB2 territory in my league, and IMO that seems to be his floor. (5-6 catches a game)  

Also, FWIW, I don't view the bears as picking in the top 10 next year... they are much better than you may think. Not going to make the playoffs, and they will likely lose more than they win, but they aren't the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts

Realistic expectations for this weekend?  Goes from playing at home to playing on the road - as well as against a slightly better defense (if last year is any indication).  I have to think TB has better LBs than Atlanta does, and they are coming off their "bye".  With Chicago's WR core yet another man down, I can see a lot of 8 and even 9 man boxes this week. 

Realistic expectations for this weekend?  Goes from playing at home to playing on the road - as well as against a slightly better defense (if last year is any indication).  I have to think TB has better LBs than Atlanta does, and they are coming off their "bye".  With Chicago's WR core yet another man down, I can see a lot of 8 and even 9 man boxes this week. 
This is the question I am guessing lots of guys are having this morning and even more will have tomorrow morning. Owners will be excited they had the winning bid/claim (perhaps rightly so) but then it may hit them that they don't know if they really trust him to start over a guy they drafted. It should be interesting to see how high his ownership % climbs and then what his starting % is.

FWIW, in the one league I am in where FAAB has run, he went for 66/100 to a team that I think may start him this week but its not obvious, IMO, based on who the other RBs are. FAAB will run in another league tonight and I suspect someone will go over $50 but not sure. I own Cohen in a Dynasty league and I am toying with the idea of dangling him in front of the Howard owner to see what he thinks. Lots of hype right now and maybe I can parlay that into improving an area I am currently a little weak in. TBD...

Missed out on him (and K.Williams) got Aghlor and Buck Allen as my consolation prizes.

I like Aghlor but  :kicksrock:

This is the question I am guessing lots of guys are having this morning and even more will have tomorrow morning. Owners will be excited they had the winning bid/claim (perhaps rightly so) but then it may hit them that they don't know if they really trust him to start over a guy they drafted. It should be interesting to see how high his ownership % climbs and then what his starting % is.

FWIW, in the one league I am in where FAAB has run, he went for 66/100 to a team that I think may start him this week but its not obvious, IMO, based on who the other RBs are. FAAB will run in another league tonight and I suspect someone will go over $50 but not sure. I own Cohen in a Dynasty league and I am toying with the idea of dangling him in front of the Howard owner to see what he thinks. Lots of hype right now and maybe I can parlay that into improving an area I am currently a little weak in. TBD...

Starting over Crowell. Baltimore's defense is about on par with Pittsburgh's without splitting hairs. He gets volume but I think Cohen's floor is about Crowell's ceiling this week (10 points) so I'll do that. Also on my bench is Abdullah. 

I could start Crowell and flex Cohen over one of Dez / Hilton (would consider benching Dez going against DEN...)

TB may have a better game plan and a better defnese than Atlanta, but all I need is 5-6 receptions and I'm pleased.

8-9 guys in the box, great, I love that scenario... Cohen lines up as a slot guy too. Bring it on! 

As I said above... 6 catches for 45 yards and 4 returns for 60yds is worth 14.5 points in my league. That's RB2 territory in my league, and IMO that seems to be his floor. (5-6 catches a game)  

FWIW, I'm all in on Cohen as well.  That said, 80-96 catches is not his floor.  Good lord.  

Users who are viewing this thread