What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (4 Viewers)

I like Cohen. I own Cohen. However, the hype is out of control. 100%+ budget for a guy on the same team as Howard?  This has high risk.
This

I am trying to recall another instance of a player that was not even drafted in the vast majority of leagues that has generated such hype off of one good (not great) game. Honestly...a LOT of owners who were not even prepared to take a flyer on this guy prior to last sunday now seem totally convinced he's the #### and they gotta have him. Maybe they will all be proven right but this just seems like folks are getting way too carried away with this player.

Dowell Loggains would be the guy running the offense.  I've not been impressed with him in his previous stops but to be fair that guy accepts the most god awful jobs to be an offensive coach. Titans before Mariotta, Cleveland and now Chicago.

So I'm not sure on Loggains but in this case I think he's off to a masterful start and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He smartly did not show his hand in preseason, barely played Cohen in week 3 and if they threw it to him at all in the preseason I think it was one short pass.  Considering he is working with lame duck Glennon, Kendall Wright as his #1 WR the offense was pretty efficient and I don't think anyone could watch that game last week and come away thinking he failed to maximize Cohen and considering the talent he had to work maximize the offense in general.

You mention John Fox and that is something lost in all this. I know of no coach who is more loathe to play rookies early, less yet feature them. Granted Howard balled out last year but it took him a few weeks and they pretty much had to, which I guess the same argument could be made now-that they have to. But for a John Fox team to so prominently feature a rookie in game one is just not something I expected to see and is yet again another positive sign for Cohens immediate future.
Yeah, I really thought Fox could be an issue with Cohen, but to be fair, he's not the OC. He also didn't seem to have too much influence on the offense in Denver when Peyton was throwing TDs left & right.

Maybe Fox has learned his lesson. One can hope. :)

Even after getting Cohen it's hard to put him in the lineup over mid tier RB's like a Carlos Hyde.  Anyone rolling with him and placing a higher ranked guy on the bench?

Even after getting Cohen it's hard to put him in the lineup over mid tier RB's like a Carlos Hyde.  Anyone rolling with him and placing a higher ranked guy on the bench?
In (flex) over Mixon / Carson / Agholor (which may change) 

If Hill is the comparison, I'd be really worried about the head coach difference.  Hill has maybe the most innovative, creative offensive coach and Cohen has John Fox.  To me, Hill himself in Chicago would be something like Tavon Austin with Jeff Fisher. 
the hill comparison is for big play ability. I agree you can't trust fox to make sure he gets the ball like Reid is probably gonna do with hill but that shouldn't make a difference that when cohen catches a screen pass or dump off pass he has a lot better chance of breaking off a long run then Howard would. 

As a DJ owner, the options are slim. Had to bump up CJ to RB1 (barf), and my RB2 options are Cohen, Duke, Mack, AP, Buck Allen (.5 PPR)

Last edited by a moderator:
He isn't really a backup, he's a change of pace RB.  No he isn't going to be a 3 down back but hardly anyone is now. Will he get goal line carries like Howard will no, will he [will] catch a bunch of passes, yes. Will he [will] have more big plays then Howard, most likely. This is a guy just like tyreek. He isn't having that great of a game but all of a sudden takes a screen pass 80 yards for a TD and then wins you the week.

this is the most sane post i've seen on cohen all week. well done.

Dowell Loggains would be the guy running the offense.  I've not been impressed with him in his previous stops but to be fair that guy accepts the most god awful jobs to be an offensive coach. Titans before Mariotta, Cleveland and now Chicago.

So I'm not sure on Loggains but in this case I think he's off to a masterful start and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He smartly did not show his hand in preseason, barely played Cohen in week 3 and if they threw it to him at all in the preseason I think it was one short pass.  Considering he is working with lame duck Glennon, Kendall Wright as his #1 WR the offense was pretty efficient and I don't think anyone could watch that game last week and come away thinking he failed to maximize Cohen and considering the talent he had to work maximize the offense in general.

You mention John Fox and that is something lost in all this. I know of no coach who is more loathe to play rookies early, less yet feature them. Granted Howard balled out last year but it took him a few weeks and they pretty much had to, which I guess the same argument could be made now-that they have to. But for a John Fox team to so prominently feature a rookie in game one is just not something I expected to see and is yet again another positive sign for Cohens immediate future.
I agree that HC Fox should not be that much of a concern given what we've seen. I just pulled this up from the Chicago Bears website:

In his first season as the Bears offensive coordinator, the Bears ranked third in franchise single-season history in gross (4,139) and net passing yards (3,969) and second in passing first downs (212) despite starting three different quarterbacks (Matt Barkley - 6; Jay Cutler - 5; Brian Hoyer - 5). The Bears also saw improvement over last season in yards per game (356.5), yards per play (5.9), rushing yards per play (4.57), passing yards per game (248.1) and sacks per pass attempt (5.01%). The Bears' 5.9 yards per play ranked fifth in the NFL in 2016 while their 4.57 rushing yards per play ranked sixth and their 5.01% sacks per pass attempt ranked eighth. The Bears also tied for fifth in the NFL in explosive plays (plays of 10+ yards) with 230.

Under Loggains tutelage, rookie RB Jordan Howard finished second in the NFL in rushing with 1,313 yards, the most rushing yards by a rookie in club history. Receiver Cameron Meredith became the first undrafted player to lead the Bears in receptions since Tom Waddle accomplished that feat in 1993 (44), finishing the season with 66 catches for 888 yards and four touchdowns.
Loggains replaced Wunderkind Adam Gase, and produced better fantasy numbers with Barkley/Hoyer starting 11 games (300 more passing, 75 fewer rushing). The OC approach may or may not be good for wins, but the approach did produce for fantasy. I especially like the high ranking in explosive plays, which bodes well for a player who excels at explosive plays. The Bears cut Jeremy Langford, which is another very strong vote of confidence. Utilization in week 1 was very high with 12 targets and 5 rushes, suggesting a willingness to put him on the field (whether through faith in talent or desperation for healthy skill position players). Injuries have again thinned the skill position offensive players in Chicago, meaning there's going to be opportunities for someone to touch the ball.

I got him for 33% of my FAAB, and plan to start him as my RB2 over CJ Anderson this week.

Nice stones on the starts well done guys.  Looking at the guys near him on the Top 200 forward.  He has already vaulted to near RB2 status in PPR and although we are probably talking our book a bit, I am not sure how many of the 6-8 guys listed ahead of him I'd rather have?  Riddick?  West?  Powell?  Ehh.

This feels like a buy high situation.  In other words, which way do you think his stock goes this weekend?  I know which way I am leaning and acting accordingly.

Nice stones on the starts well done guys.  Looking at the guys near him on the Top 200 forward.  He has already vaulted to near RB2 status in PPR and although we are probably talking our book a bit, I am not sure how many of the 6-8 guys listed ahead of him I'd rather have?  Riddick?  West?  Powell?  Ehh.

This feels like a buy high situation.  In other words, which way do you think his stock goes this weekend?  I know which way I am leaning and acting accordingly.
I'd love for his stock to go higher. There's obviously a large group of people who don't buy his performance as a weekly thing. If he produces another 20 point game in PPR I think his stock sores and this thread goes to 20 pages by this time next week with people calling him a RB1. 

He could very well under perform and there will be a lot of I told you so's in here gloating about how they missed on this guy and meant to... 

I think it's somewhere in the middle. 12 points no TD. And I'll be pretty happy with that TBH

Wrestling with starting him over Jacquizz in standard. Tricky and maybe it shouldn't be. Just would hate to do it then watch Rodgers reel off 25+ touches for a 100+ while Cohen gets bits and pieces.

I got him for 33% of my FAAB, and plan to start him as my RB2 over CJ Anderson this week.
You should feel lucky.  He went for 72, 77, and 83% in my money PPR leagues.   And there were multiple bids listed above 60% in all three that lost out.   I am not bummed I have a bunch of FA money left, I just don't see regret missing out here but I could be wrong.

You should feel lucky.  He went for 72, 77, and 83% in my money PPR leagues.   And there were multiple bids listed above 60% in all three that lost out.   I am not bummed I have a bunch of FA money left, I just don't see regret missing out here but I could be wrong.
Bid 62 in my league to get him. Next highest was 19 or 29 or something. Feel like a fool but in some leagues, as you show, I would have missed out. Never know

Just bought him in a dynasty league where I own Howard. PPR scoring

I gave my 2018 2nd, should be a playoff team, but I lost my 1st game

I get Cohen

:shrug:  just going by the eye. Maybe sproles plays bigger now. Can't imagine he was 190 in San Diego 
I would imagine Sproles has gained some weight into his 30's and this kid is fresh out of college and will probably add some muscle and weight over the next few years.

I got him for 61 out of 100 and I have no idea what the next highest bid was.

I am starting him over Powell this week.  I also have Riddick.

I have a very strong team in every category except RB... so if he works out great.  If not, the rest of my team is still pretty strong.

I dropped Gore to get him.

PPR League, was just offered DeMarco Murray for him. 

I feel like I'm going to hate myself for it, but I had to accept. 
Murray is a big part of that offense and looked like a beast last year. I just look at him and McCoy and see two oldish RBs who are due for their time to decline. Everyone has an opinion. But I can see trading a RB2/3 possible WW material if all the naysayers are correct at end of season for a perceived top 10 RB. I don't know if I would trade Murray for Cohen, but I also wouldn't have accepted that trade either. So I feel for your predicament. 

Pass pass pass. But I hate Murray. Guy has "that bust RB" written all over him
You'd turn down a clear 2nd round pick after 1 game for a waiver wire wonder?  If the draft were held today, would you really draft Cohen over Murray if they were both there for you in, say, round 5?

You'd turn down a clear 2nd round pick after 1 game for a waiver wire wonder?  If the draft were held today, would you really draft Cohen over Murray if they were both there for you in, say, round 5?
I said if I had Murray I would not trade him for Cohen. But I probably wouldn't have accepted that trade either. I do not like Murray. He is on my do not draft list. Why would I trade for someone who is on my do not draft list? 

I do not know if Murray is going to bust or not, but I have a feeling he will. If he doesn't, we know what we will get out of him. We don't know what Cohen will do, could bust too. Probably is more likely to. But, I wouldn't take that trade, no, because I have zero interest in Murray. 

If a draft is held today I likely draft Ajayi over Murray and Cohen at wherever his draft value is, if available. 

No. 

I said if I had Murray I would not trade him for Cohen. But I probably wouldn't have accepted that trade either. I do not like Murray. He is on my do not draft list.

If a draft is held today I likely draft Ajayi over Murray and Cohen at wherever his draft value is, if available. 
I'm confused. You suggested a guy pass when offered Murray for Cohen. So you value Cohen over Murray rest of season right now. 

And I'm not comparing ajayi to Murray. I'm comparing Murray to Cohen which was the trade offered. 

I'm confused. You suggested a guy pass when offered Murray for Cohen. So you value Cohen over Murray rest of season right now. 

And I'm not comparing ajayi to Murray. I'm comparing Murray to Cohen which was the trade offered. 
You asked if I would draft Cohen over Murray right now. The answer is no. 

If you asked me would I take Murray over Cohen in a draft. The answer is still no. 

Because the answer to both of those questions is None of The Above. If I'm sitting at Murray's ADP of 15 in PPR, I am passing. Cohen's ADP in PPR isn't 16, is it? If it is, then yes, I would take Cohen over Murray. But I imagine Cohen's ADP is much lower. 

The whole point to drafting is not reaching at 15 for Cohen because I like him better than Murray. It's drafting someone else at 15 I like way better than Murray and hoping to land Cohen later at a reasonable value even though I do value him higher than Murray. 

Cohen may produce more than Murray from a FF perspective. Murray, IMO, finishes as a lower RB2. I think Cohen finishes in the mid to high RB2 range. So yes, I suppose I do value Cohen rest of season better than Murray, because my view of Murray is very negative. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your rankings... we all don't agree on everything. Murray is a risky pick for me. Just as risky as Cohen. I think Cohen has more upside. Murray has proven more. I've weighed all those options and yes, I think I'd rather have Cohen overall. 

You asked if I would draft Cohen over Murray right now. The answer is no. 

If you asked me would I take Murray over Cohen in a draft. The answer is still no. 

Because the answer to both of those questions is None of The Above. If I'm sitting at Murray's ADP of 15 in PPR, I am passing. Cohen's ADP in PPR isn't 16, is it? If it is, then yes, I would take Cohen over Murray. But I imagine Cohen's ADP is much lower. 

The whole point to drafting is not reaching at 15 for Cohen because I like him better than Murray. It's drafting someone else at 15 I like way better than Murray and hoping to land Cohen later at a reasonable value even though I do value him higher than Murray. 

Cohen may produce more than Murray from a FF perspective. Murray, IMO, finishes as a lower RB2. I think Cohen finishes in the mid to high RB2 range. So yes, I suppose I do value Cohen rest of season better than Murray, because my view of Murray is very negative. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your rankings... we all don't agree on everything. Murray is a risky pick for me. Just as risky as Cohen. I think Cohen has more upside. Murray has proven more. I've weighed all those options and yes, I think I'd rather have Cohen overall. 
This makes no sense. I asked if you'd take Cohen over Murray if they were both their in the 5th round. Ok how about this, hypothetically speaking, it's the last pick of round 16 and both are still on the board. You could use a rb. Who are you taking?  Jeez. 

This makes no sense. I asked if you'd take Cohen over Murray if they were both their in the 5th round. Ok how about this, hypothetically speaking, it's the last pick of round 16 and both are still on the board. You could use a rb. Who are you taking?  Jeez. 

I do not like Murray.

He is on my do not draft list

I do not know if Murray is going to bust or not, but I have a feeling he will

I have zero interest in Murray. 

Murray, IMO, finishes as a lower RB2.

I think Cohen finishes in the mid to high RB2 range.

So yes, I suppose I do value Cohen rest of season better than Murray,

I think I'd rather have Cohen overall. 
I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am

zftcg said:
Got him off waivers and leaning toward starting him over Riddick, but I think the hype has gone too far. Can someone tell me why his ceiling isn't peak Sproles? Which is not nothing, but is also not a league-winner.
If you can get 85-90 receptions(in a ppr league),plus his possible rushing yards(500-700 yards) and 7-9 TD's .That can be a difference maker.

Wise Old Owl said:
As someone who won Cohen on waivers and is very excited about him, the hype in here is unreal
It's absolutely beautiful!

I spent $117 out of $200 on Cohen. We can see other bids after the waiver process goes through, and the next highest was $77. I left quite a bit of money on the table, but I also draft DJ so felt like desperate measures were warranted. I was NOT going to miss out on acquiring him. Never really had that approach before.

Users who are viewing this thread