What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stamp collection (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
My mother gave me a box of stamps before she died.  They were my grandfathers.  He died the year I was born 1970.  Nothing is in plastic, many in envelopes, some international, some canceled.  

What is the best way to determine if they have value?  I am assuming they are like football cards.  Most worth nothing.

My mother gave me a box of stamps before she died.  They were my grandfathers.  He died the year I was born 1970.  Nothing is in plastic, many in envelopes, some international, some canceled.  

What is the best way to determine if they have value?  I am assuming they are like football cards.  Most worth nothing.
Lick'em and  stick'em...

...oh, wait...

...that's not stamps...sorry. :bag:

Btw, anyone want a bunch of football cards from the 70's.  I had all the nonvaluable cards in a chest when U went to college.  My mom decided to keep those but throw away the ones in my drawer.  By by Joe Montana rookies.

I just sold my father's collection - had them evaluated, etc.  The place that I used:

https://www.apfelbauminc.com/

Were they local?  How do u know if you were cheated?  TIA.
When doing this stuff it's always hard to know if you got 1/2 of retail (which is what I'd hope for).  My dad's collection was a bit off the norm (a damn near complete set of Ecuador from the start) and this guy knew this stuff.  His reputation was good and when I talked to him I got good vibes.

And other wise I'd have a crapload of albums in my house I didn't want.  I'd rather someone get some pleasure out of those things.

Edit - not local.  I sent the albums off.  You may find a local guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end they are probably junk.  My plan was to just give them to my nephew.  But he is 16.  I would rather see if they have value and if we get lucky, help my sisters.

You can look them up in price guides. Be very particular with the older ones. A stamp can be worth $0.03 or $3000 depending on something little like was it from a coil or sheet. 

You can look them up in price guides. Be very particular with the older ones. A stamp can be worth $0.03 or $3000 depending on something little like was it from a coil or sheet. 
There are thousands of them.  I have thought of looking them up but seems daunting.

Btw, anyone want a bunch of football cards from the 70's.  I had all the nonvaluable cards in a chest when U went to college.  My mom decided to keep those but throw away the ones in my drawer.  By by Joe Montana rookies.
Hey I would be interested. I am a collector--much to my wife's anger, and I tend to never sell my stuff, but I love the old stuff--even commons.

Courtjester said:
Hey I would be interested. I am a collector--much to my wife's anger, and I tend to never sell my stuff, but I love the old stuff--even commons.
I have all those commons and will be happy to send them to you.  I know football cards, so the Nike Jordan box might be the best thing there is.

Send me your address.  Plus I get 20% of any card you sell over 100?  Seem fair?  I will pay for shipping and will crap myself you find a card over 2 bucks.  Might be some hockey and baseball too.  Boggs and ripken rookie were sold in 1997.

Funny thing, I kept getting  a mike corbett in baseball cards as a kid, hated it.  Tigers guy.  Go I go to college at gannon, and this guy hates me.  I was nailing his 3rd base women.  Good times.  He said I was distracting her, no crap.  I was nailing her every night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all those commons and will be happy to send them to you.  I know football cards, so the Nike Jordan box might be the best thing there is.

Send me your address.  Plus I get 20% of any card you sell over 100?  Seem fair?  I will pay for shipping and will crap myself you find a card over 2 bucks.  Might be some hockey and baseball too.  Boggs and ripken rookie were sold in 1997.
Pm sent. It is a deal!! 

Like an actual collection, with the stamps cataloged?  Or just a box of stamps?

We had an old box from my great grandfather for years.  My parents had so much trouble getting someone to actually go through them to give a valuation.  In the end, they weren't worth the trouble.

My advice, with the caveat that I don't know a damn thing about stamps: break them up into groups that  you can photograph, and make sure that each stamp is visible in the picture.  List the groups on ebay, starting at 99 cents.  If there is anything actually valuable, it will be noticed by hardcore collectors.

shuke said:
Like an actual collection, with the stamps cataloged?  Or just a box of stamps?

We had an old box from my great grandfather for years.  My parents had so much trouble getting someone to actually go through them to give a valuation.  In the end, they weren't worth the trouble.

My advice, with the caveat that I don't know a damn thing about stamps: break them up into groups that  you can photograph, and make sure that each stamp is visible in the picture.  List the groups on ebay, starting at 99 cents.  If there is anything actually valuable, it will be noticed by hardcore collectors.
This is a pretty good idea/method, volume could be the main issue.

Users who are viewing this thread