What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

White Nationalists march on University of Virginia (1 Viewer)

Not sure I agree with this. I think the general population is at least as racist as most police forces - there are exceptions, but for the most part police are much better trained to keep those things in check than most professions. 
Perhaps I should make an IMPORTANT caveat - those around me were generally liberal to moderate and plenty of fiscal conservatives.  So the baseline is likely skewed Center and Center left of average 

Not sure I agree with this. I think the general population is at least as racist as most police forces - there are exceptions, but for the most part police are much better trained to keep those things in check than most professions. 
I agree with this. 

Perfect summary.

woke space jeremy @JeremyMcLellan

Horrified that protesters at UNC Chapel Hill toppled the Confederate statue known as Silent Sam, an essential part of our country's history that I just learned about a few minutes ago because of this story.

7:04 PM - 20 Aug 2018

Silent Sam was erected in 1913, 48 years after the end of the Civil War, which would be analogous to neo-nazis erecting a statue to Hitler in 1993.
From a speech at the statue's dedication ceremony:

It is true that the snows of winter which never melt, crown our temples, and we realize that we are living in the twilight zone; that it requires no unusual strain to hear the sounds of the tides as they roll and break upon the other shore, “The watch-dog’s bark his deep bay mouth welcome as we draw near home”, breaks upon our ears—makes it doubly sweet to know that we have been remembered in the erection of this beautiful memorial. The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God.
            I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head.
That's what the statue celebrates, according to those who put it there.

God bless those kids for doing what our generation lacked the integrity and courage to do. 

I agree that the police population is somewhat less racist than the overall population, BUT a racist policeman can do magnitudes more racist damage than an ordinary racist citizen.

Hannah Natanson‏ @hannah_natanson 28m28 minutes ago

More

The “Unite the Right” marchers have arrived at Lafayette Square. There appear to be roughly two dozen of them. The hundreds-strong crowd of counter demonstrators booed loudly as Jason Kessler, holding an American flag, led the group around.

link
"Unite The Right" organizer Jason Kessler tries to do a livestream from his parents' basement. His dad walked in during the middle of it and said "Get out of my room!"

4 members of white supremacists group arrested for role in 2017 torch-lit march and rally

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — More than one year after a white nationalist torch-lit march and rally in Charlottesville, multiple arrests have been made in connection to the event, according to federal prosecutors. United States Attorney Thomas T. Cullen and FBI Assistant Special Agent Thomas M. Chadwick announced the arrests and charges Tuesday afternoon during a press conference.

Four members of a white supremacist group were arrested after federal prosecutors said they traveled from California to Charlottesville to incite a riot and commit violent acts.

A criminal complaint filed in US District Court for the Western District of Virginia identified the men as Benjamin Drake Daley, Michael Paul Miselis, Thomas Walter Gillen and Cole Evan White.

Prosecutors said the men are a part of the “Rise Above Movement,” a militant white supremacist organization based in Southern California.

The men are accused of committing “multiple acts of violence” against counterprotesters, according to Cullen. Those acts of violence includes punching, kicking, headbutting, and pushing. They are accused of assaulting a black male, two women, and a minister wearing a clerical collar.

“Their actions were not only reprehensible, but also in violation of federal law,” said Chadwick.

The four suspects will be been charged under the riots acts, which, if convicted, has a penalty of 10 years in prison.

On August 11, 2017, more than 100 white nationalists marched through the University of Virginia grounds, carrying torches and chanting “Jews will not replace us” and “White lives matter.” They were protesting a Charlottesville City Council plan to remove a Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee statue from a nearby park.

Things turned violent after physical fights between marches and protesters erupted. The torch rally was eventually shut down after police ruled the march was an unlawful assembly.

The next day, the violence continued and turned deadly during the “Unite the Right” rally. Heather Heyer, 32, was killed while protesting after a man drove his car into a crowd, according to police.

Two Virginia state troopers were also killed in a helicopter crash nearby after monitoring events during the rally. Trooper-Pilot Berke M.M. Bates and pilot Lt. Jay Cullen were on their way to provide over-watch for the motorcade of then-Governor Terry McAuliffe.

A criminal complaint filed in US District Court for the Western District of Virginia identified the California men as Benjamin Drake Daley, Michael Paul Miselis, Thomas Walter Gillen and Cole Evan White. US Attorney Thomas Cullen described the men as "serial rioters," saying they also engaged in acts of violence at California political rallies last year in Huntington Beach, Berkeley and other cities.

The four men are accused of traveling from California to Charlottesville for the rally "with intent (a) to incite a riot, (b) to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, and carry on in a riot, (c) as having 'participated in violent encounters in Charlottesville,'" the complaint said.
The violence at the August 2017 event began ahead of a planned rally that the Southern Poverty Law Center described as the "largest hate-gathering of its kind in decades."

On their way to the Unite the Right rally in Emancipation Park, Daley, Miselis, Gillen and White had "hands taped ready to do street battle, committed multiple acts of violence, including punching, kicking, headbutting and pushing numerous people," the complaint said. Their victims included an African-American man, two women and a minister wearing a clerical collar, Cullen said. Some were seriously injured.

Photo and video footage in the complaint show White apparently head-butting a man in a clerical collar and a female counterprotester. The woman suffered a severe laceration. Gillen, Daley and Miselis are shown assaulting multiple counterprotesters, the complaint said. In other photos, some of the men are seen apparently kicking and slamming counterprotesters to the ground.
White allegedly used a torch as a weapon and Daley boasted on social media of hitting five people at a torch-lit rally, the complaint said.

RAM members openly identify themselves on social media as "alt-right" and "nationalist" and frequently post videos and photos of them performing physical training and mixed martial arts street-fighting techniques "in order to prepare to engage in fighting and violence at political rallies," the complaint said.
The complaint includes numerous photos of the defendants engaging in violence at rallies.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/us/charlottesville-rally-inciting-riot-charges/index.html

Does this belong in the Free Speech thread?

Kelly can't follow him everywhere. The Posobiec retweet was a little shout out to white nationalists, they know Trump more or less has control of his phone.
I doubt he really knows who Posobiec is
I really hope not.

In May 2017, the Clark brothers teamed up with far-right “Pizzagate” propagandist Jack Posobiec, who was then the D.C. bureau chief for the far-right website Rebel Media, to shoot footage for a film Posobiec was working on about Seth Rich, the Democratic National Committee staffer whose murder near the Clarks’ home in Bloomingdale has spawned numerous far-right conspiracy theories.

Laura Sennett, an anti-fascist researcher who works with One People’s Project, spoke with Jeffrey Clark a few weeks after he and his brother were spotted in Bloomingdale with Posobiec, who by then had been fired from Rebel under mysterious circumstances after plagiarizing Jason Kessler, the white nationalist who organized the Unite the Right rally.

“[Clark] told me that Jack Posobiec hired him and his brother to follow him with a camera to take video of his investigation of Seth Rich,” Sennett told HuffPost. “Not sure if it was a documentary or a news story, but [Posobiec] was doing some kind of reporting for Rebel Media. I asked him if Posobiec was aware of his Nazi beliefs. He told me that Posobiec absolutely was and had told Jeff that he was sympathetic to those beliefs.”
DC Neo-Nazi Who Called Pittsburgh Murders A ‘Dry Run’ Arrested; Has Deep Ties To ‘Alt Right’

Which makes it even more egregious that the Charlottesville PD allowed events to unfold the way they did. 

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/gydd3y/charlottesville-police-chief-told-cops-to-let-them-fight-when-nazis-came-to-town

Charlottesville PD wanted a confrontation between Antifa and the Neo Nazis. "Let them fight, it will make it easier to declare an unlawful assembly"

The end of the event, when the "nazis" were leaving could have been handled in a way that prevented direct conflict.

It was this direct conflict which led to both sides acting irrationally. 

A deranged UNC Antifa professor admitted to pointing a rifle at the driver before he sped away and ran into the crowd of people.

Facebook post by rifle toting Antifa prof

Youtube video where he admits to pointing his rifle at the driver

Video of Antifa Prof with his rifle rallying the troops

Article about Antifa Prof chasing driver with his rifle

Had the LEO allowed the 2 sides to depart without confrontation (and the Antifa professor not been waving his rifle at people) that woman would still be alive. 

Any honest lawyer knows that this driver is gonna walk a free man. 
Trial set to begin in a week and a half. Will be interesting to see if your prediction is accurate. 

https://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/courts/orders-on-audience-expression-safety-entered-ahead-of-fields-trial/article_4ee2905e-dbd3-11e8-baae-0bc79f630ee6.html

Lawyers for the man accused of slamming his car into a crowd of counter-protesters after the Aug. 12, 2017, Unite the Right rally met with prosecutors and a Charlottesville circuit judge Monday to iron out details for the upcoming three-week trial.

James A. Fields Jr., 21, faces 10 state charges related to the rally, including first-degree murder in the death of Heather Heyer, 32, as well as 30 federal hate crime charges, some of which could result in the death penalty.

Fields’ trial in Charlottesville Circuit Court is set to begin Nov. 26, according to court records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which makes it even more egregious that the Charlottesville PD allowed events to unfold the way they did. 

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/gydd3y/charlottesville-police-chief-told-cops-to-let-them-fight-when-nazis-came-to-town

Charlottesville PD wanted a confrontation between Antifa and the Neo Nazis. "Let them fight, it will make it easier to declare an unlawful assembly"

The end of the event, when the "nazis" were leaving could have been handled in a way that prevented direct conflict.

It was this direct conflict which led to both sides acting irrationally. 

A deranged UNC Antifa professor admitted to pointing a rifle at the driver before he sped away and ran into the crowd of people.

Facebook post by rifle toting Antifa prof

Youtube video where he admits to pointing his rifle at the driver

Video of Antifa Prof with his rifle rallying the troops

Article about Antifa Prof chasing driver with his rifle

Had the LEO allowed the 2 sides to depart without confrontation (and the Antifa professor not been waving his rifle at people) that woman would still be alive. 

Any honest lawyer knows that this driver is gonna walk a free man. 
I’d respond in detail to this, but it’s probably not worth it. 

Proud Boys rally today in Philly had only a couple dozen people turnout.  Counter-protest drew hundreds. 

And cabbies, Uber, and Lyft drivers are refusing to pick up the Proud Boys. They’re having to walk home. 

Also, counter protestors have apparently taken Gritty, the freaky orange mascot, for their own mascot. 

Tough day for the racists. 

Proud Boys rally today in Philly had only a couple dozen people turnout.  Counter-protest drew hundreds. 

And cabbies, Uber, and Lyft drivers are refusing to pick up the Proud Boys. They’re having to walk home. 

Also, counter protestors have apparently taken Gritty, the freaky orange mascot, for their own mascot. 

Tough day for the racists. 
I’m sorry, but I need pictures. I’ll recreate:

:kicksrock: :kicksrock: :kicksrock: :kicksrock:

I suppose you stand by your convictions, but wouldn’t you wonder whether it was worth spending your day doing this? I mean, doesn’t the irony of the name “proud boys” get lost when everyone hates you and you have to walk home because your views are so disgusting? Did you accomplish anything? 

Users who are viewing this thread