What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Shaheen, TE (MIA) (1 Viewer)

h'es the bears 3rd TE behind miller/sims, ... bears seem to like their 4th TE daniel brown, so its possible zach miller is a surprise cut... but i cant see shaheen having value early in season.
they're not cutting Miller.

They will use multiple TE sets and keep all the quality players they have

Nice find.

Yet Shaheen's role in the offense has grown incrementally throughout the regular season. He was on the field for just 13 offensive snaps in the first two gams combined, yet he logged 15 snaps agains the Steelers, which includes the TD grab. 

The value of Dion Sims comes as an edge blocker, so the Bears may continue to increase Shaheen's reps on passing downs going forward, particularly in the red zone.
I'll take it for 2017 value. If I ever need to throw him in for an emergency start, at least there is a chance of a rogue TD. Team needs all the RZ targets they can get. He's obviously a long term hold.

Didn't watch game. How did he look? And was he being clearly actively involved? Any late 2017 value in dynasty would be gravy. 

Hard to evaluate for 2017 returns.  I thought his route running looked pretty good, and he knows how to use his body to position himself for a catch.  That being said, just from TV viewing, he only had four targets, three coming in the first 18 minutes, and one for the final 42, so the sample size is small.  From what I've read, his blocking has improved drastically.

However, when Dion Sims returns, I imagine John Fox is going to play his veterans to the very end, because that's what he does.  I didn't get a feeling that the Bears made a concerted effort at any point to get Shaheen the ball except for on his touchdown.  Play-calling has been abysmal, in my opinion.

#### like this is why Fox will be relegated to the museum with his relic buddy Fisher:

"In a two-minute situation, not everybody on the team knows all of that," Bears coach John Fox said. "We have Adam Shaheen, we have Mitchell Trubisky, we have Tarik Cohen - they are playing in their eighth games in their NFL careers, as rookies.

"They have a lot on their plate as it is, and they can't do everything. They're definitely good, young players, for sure."
Like the two minute offense is the exclusive domain of the NFL. And if by week 10 you haven't done a good enough job coaching that your rookies can't run a two minute drill you should be fired. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions getting roughed up by TEs lately, including a game from Sheehan where he had 14.1 points in PPR. In last 4 weeks, Lions giving up over 17 fantasy points to TEs. So he's not the worst guy to take a shot with this week if you're really desperate but like SameSong said, it's always risky taking a chance with the Bears' passing game.

Fox said they used Sheehan more vs. the Bengals because of the matchup. That would seem to indicate he'll have a role this week given how Detroit is being hurt by TEs right now. 

Even if Meredith comes back healthy and the bears add another wr it seems shaheen could be poised to take a step forward next year. Nice year for the small school rookie imo. 

Bears coach Matt Nagy said sophomore TE Adam Shaheen "fits our offense really well."

A second-round pick last year, Shaheen managed just 12 catches as a rookie, but his new coach seems to see potential. "He's bigger than I originally thought he was. ... He has very natural hands," Nagy added. "Now it's just a matter of how fast is he going to learn it." Signed to a four-year deal with $18 million guaranteed this offseason, Trey Burton is the clear No. 1 at tight end, but Shaheen could carve out a role behind him. 

May 17 - 9:22 AM

Source: Bears.com

I had a couple shares of Shaheen after last year's rookie draft, but the Bears signing a guy like Burton for 18 million guaranteed takes the shine of Shaheen, IMO.

Obviously, Nagy didn't particularly like what he saw (right or wrong). Taking a chance on an unproven Burton for that kind of money tells me they were either uncharacteristically high on him or they don't view Shaheen as a potential starter, probably a combination of both.

I had a couple shares of Shaheen after last year's rookie draft, but the Bears signing a guy like Burton for 18 million guaranteed takes the shine of Shaheen, IMO.

Obviously, Nagy didn't particularly like what he saw (right or wrong). Taking a chance on an unproven Burton for that kind of money tells me they were either uncharacteristically high on him or they don't view Shaheen as a potential starter, probably a combination of both.
How much of Shaheen would Nagy have actually watched though?  It's not like he watches every guy before he takes a job.  How could he?  And it's not like he game planned against Shaheen either.  I think the money was perfect fit for bringing in a veteran, although Burton is a little unproven in hopes that he fills the role.  That's not a knock on Shaheen to me, just a "we need plays now" view, rather than, "lets hope we get them from our 1 and only decent TE on the roster who happens to be a 2nd year player".  

My biggest concern with Shaheen is targets.  He has a lot of bodies to compete with.  Robinson, Cohen, Burton, Miller, and not even mentioning Howard's carries.  Assuming he takes a leap forward in his development, I still don't see him as the 4th option on that offense.  And good luck predicting how many weapons Trubisky can accomodate in his 2nd year as well.  

Shaheen is a larger player than Trey Burton is. 6'6" 270 lbs More similar to Travis Kelce or Zach Ertz as far as his build. Burton is listed as 6'3" 236 lbs.

Zach Ertz missed two games last season game 9 against Denver and game 13 against the Rams. He was injured in week 12 against Seattle and only played part of that game.

Trey Burton game logs as you can see Burtons best games were game 9 against Denver 4 targets 2 receptions 41 yards and a TD. Game 12 against Seattle 7 targets 4 receptions 42 yards. Game 13 against the Rams 6 targets 5 receptions 71 yards 2 TD. Coincidence? Of course not. 

Those 3 games were 55% of his targets 48% of his receptions 62% of his yardage and 60% of his TD for the whole season.

You see a similar pattern in 2016 with Burton having good numbers in game 2 and 3 of that season when Ertz was out of the line up.

Talking about how much the Bears paid Burton is a total red herring in my opinion. It is not representative of what he has produced in his career so far. I think Burton is really overvalued in fantasy circles since the signing and Shaheen is being overlooked.

How much of Shaheen would Nagy have actually watched though?  It's not like he watches every guy before he takes a job.  How could he?  And it's not like he game planned against Shaheen either.  I think the money was perfect fit for bringing in a veteran, although Burton is a little unproven in hopes that he fills the role.  That's not a knock on Shaheen to me, just a "we need plays now" view, rather than, "lets hope we get them from our 1 and only decent TE on the roster who happens to be a 2nd year player".  

My biggest concern with Shaheen is targets.  He has a lot of bodies to compete with.  Robinson, Cohen, Burton, Miller, and not even mentioning Howard's carries.  Assuming he takes a leap forward in his development, I still don't see him as the 4th option on that offense.  And good luck predicting how many weapons Trubisky can accomodate in his 2nd year as well.  
I'm talking about after Nagy was hired. Part of a new HCs job is to get acquainted with personnel & have input on FA & the draft.

I'm certain Shaheen was thoroughly vetted by Nagy & I can't imagine him being too impressed (nor Pace) with them going out a paying good money for an unproven TE in Burton.

That's Shaheen's biggest issue right now, IMO. He's got upside physically, but I can't see him getting a legitimate chance anytime soon.

Shaheen is a larger player than Trey Burton is. 6'6" 270 lbs More similar to Travis Kelce or Zach Ertz as far as his build. Burton is listed as 6'3" 236 lbs.

Zach Ertz missed two games last season game 9 against Denver and game 13 against the Rams. He was injured in week 12 against Seattle and only played part of that game.

Trey Burton game logs as you can see Burtons best games were game 9 against Denver 4 targets 2 receptions 41 yards and a TD. Game 12 against Seattle 7 targets 4 receptions 42 yards. Game 13 against the Rams 6 targets 5 receptions 71 yards 2 TD. Coincidence? Of course not. 

Those 3 games were 55% of his targets 48% of his receptions 62% of his yardage and 60% of his TD for the whole season.

You see a similar pattern in 2016 with Burton having good numbers in game 2 and 3 of that season when Ertz was out of the line up.

Talking about how much the Bears paid Burton is a total red herring in my opinion. It is not representative of what he has produced in his career so far. I think Burton is really overvalued in fantasy circles since the signing and Shaheen is being overlooked.
While I agree Burton is probably overrated in FF circles, I believe his salary is a big consideration in regards to Shaheen from the Bears' perspective.

The salary cap dynamic makes the situation less favorable for Shaheen, IMO. Without the salary cap Burton's contract would be a factor, but much less so.

While I agree Burton is probably overrated in FF circles, I believe his salary is a big consideration in regards to Shaheen from the Bears' perspective.

The salary cap dynamic makes the situation less favorable for Shaheen, IMO. Without the salary cap Burton's contract would be a factor, but much less so.
By the same logic Dion Sims should be a big deal because of his contract the year before.

Dion Sims played 580 offensive snaps last year tied with Kendall Wright for the most offensive snaps by a non QB skill player in 2017.

Sims can block and the Bears have kept him on the roster despite also giving Burton a lot of money. I bet he plays more snaps than any of the other Bears TE in 2018.

By the same logic Dion Sims should be a big deal because of his contract the year before.

Dion Sims played 580 offensive snaps last year tied with Kendall Wright for the most offensive snaps by a non QB skill player in 2017.

Sims can block and the Bears have kept him on the roster despite also giving Burton a lot of money. I bet he plays more snaps than any of the other Bears TE in 2018.
SIms is part of Shaheen's problem. They've got quite a bit of money tied up in some mediocre TEs (certainly unproven). If Nagy & Pace thought better of Shaheen, I don't believe you would've seen the Burton signing.

They've got Sims as a traditional Y & Burton as an F. Two pretty good sized contracts. The dynamics of the salary cap tells me they likely don't think highly of Shaheen or at best, believe it'll take awhile & aren't sure.

Actually, this will be rather easy to decipher, IMO. We'll know what they think of Shaheen simply by his PT.

SIms is part of Shaheen's problem. They've got quite a bit of money tied up in some mediocre TEs (certainly unproven). If Nagy & Pace thought better of Shaheen, I don't believe you would've seen the Burton signing.

They've got Sims as a traditional Y & Burton as an F. Two pretty good sized contracts. The dynamics of the salary cap tells me they likely don't think highly of Shaheen or at best, believe it'll take awhile & aren't sure.

Actually, this will be rather easy to decipher, IMO. We'll know what they think of Shaheen simply by his PT.
It was speculated that Dion Sims might be released instead of the Bears having to pay him $6 million base salary this season. However the way the contract is structured the Bears would take a dead cap hit of $4.7 million if they cut him. He is staying.

I disagree with your idea that it means they do not think highly of Shaheen. Shaheen is making peanuts compared to these other two guys. The reason they signed Burton is because they needed to replace Zach Miller who is currently a free agent and trying to recover from pretty serious knee injury.

It was speculated that Dion Sims might be released instead of the Bears having to pay him $6 million base salary this season. However the way the contract is structured the Bears would take a dead cap hit of $4.7 million if they cut him. He is staying.

I disagree with your idea that it means they do not think highly of Shaheen. Shaheen is making peanuts compared to these other two guys. The reason they signed Burton is because they needed to replace Zach Miller who is currently a free agent and trying to recover from pretty serious knee injury.
It’s like the jets or jags wr core- hard to tell who will have the value, but someone could put up nice numbers with Nagy at the helm. That said, most tes don’t pan out fantasy wise the way we hope, so if shaheen is cheaper than burton I’ll take the bargain. 

This is a logical fallacy that has no true causation.  We don't know they wouldn't have offered Shaheen just as much or more if they had to or that if they had to choose between the two which they would have taken.  CHI had the money and Burton was a FA so necessitated spending to sign him and Shaheen didn't.  It's as simple as that.  If you had $2 and a Snickers in your pocket and you bought a Kit Kat with your $2 that doesn't mean you like it more than the Snickers.  It just means you wanted both.

This is a logical fallacy that has no true causation.  We don't know they wouldn't have offered Shaheen just as much or more if they had to or that if they had to choose between the two which they would have taken.  CHI had the money and Burton was a FA so necessitated spending to sign him and Shaheen didn't.  It's as simple as that.  If you had $2 and a Snickers in your pocket and you bought a Kit Kat with your $2 that doesn't mean you like it more than the Snickers.  It just means you wanted both.
Let me get this straight, you're claiming that NFL team's perception of their own roster has no cause in their selection of free agents?

Would you argue that the 49ers signing Jerick McKinnon has no relevance on their view of Joe Williams or Matt Breida as a potential starting NFL running back? That the team thought they already had their starting RB on the roster but threw big money at McKinnon for depth?

It's fair to argue that you believe Shaheen will prove a better player than Burton, but it seems silly to suggest that the Bears paid starter's money for a free agent they don't plan to start.

You can replace Zach Miller without spending what they did on Burton. It tells me at very best, they expect Shaheen to take awhile to develop & aren’t sure. Besides, Miller is more of a Y & Burton is a typical F.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your take is the Burton signing is overrated & Shaheen will be a factor in 2018. My general take is Shaheen won’t be a factor anytime soon. I believe the writing is on the wall the way the Bears handled things.

Like I said, though, we’ll know fairly soon what they think of Shaheen.

Totally disagree. That's a LOT of money to spend on an unproven TE. In the salary cap era, you don't spend $5 on an overpriced Snickers when you already have a $2 Snickers on your roster unless there's an issue with the cheap Snickers bar.

Shaheen is essentially a gigantic F TE, which is Burton's ideal position. The dynamics of the Burton signing tell me they aren't high on Shaheen or at the very least, believe he's not ready to contribute significantly anytime soon.

You can replace Zach Miller without spending what they did on Burton. It tells me at very best, they expect Shaheen to take awhile to develop & aren’t sure. Besides, Miller is more of a Y & Burton is a typical F.

I think your take is the Burton signing is overrated & Shaheen will be a factor in 2018. My general take is Shaheen won’t be a factor anytime soon. I think the writing is on the wall the way the Bears handled things.

Like I said, though, we’ll know fairly soon what they think of Shaheen.
What is the difference between a Y and F? Or for that matter a U?

Burton seems more like a H back to me, which can be good for fantasy but also gets lost in the shuffle at times. This type if role is competing with Tarik Cohen for targets as well.

Zach Miller was targeted 4.3 times per game when healthy last season. Trubisky was looking his way a lot. Part of that is because of the lack of other good options, part of that is about match ups.

Burton is a veteran and Shaheen is only entering his second season. Perfectly reasonable to expect that Burton will lead the Bears TE in targets and receptions this season. The coaching staff was not involved with the pick of Shaheen, so they are not as committed to him as the front office is. Training camp could change their mind though. As you can see from what Faust posted, Nagy is still learning about Shaheen.

Faust said:
Bears coach Matt Nagy said sophomore TE Adam Shaheen "fits our offense really well."

A second-round pick last year, Shaheen managed just 12 catches as a rookie, but his new coach seems to see potential. "He's bigger than I originally thought he was. ... He has very natural hands," Nagy added. "Now it's just a matter of how fast is he going to learn it." Signed to a four-year deal with $18 million guaranteed this offseason, Trey Burton is the clear No. 1 at tight end, but Shaheen could carve out a role behind him. 

May 17 - 9:22 AM

Source: Bears.com
Just the tone of Nagy's comments tells you that he is learning more about Shaheen right now. He sees Shaheen fitting the offense really well, it is just a matter of how fast he can learn the playbook and the nuances of what they are going to ask him to do.

My interpretation of all this is that Sms will lead the TE in offensive snaps, but be used as a blocker, which is what he is very good at and most of the TE passing targets will be split between Burton and Shaheen. How much of a split remains to be seen, but I could see that being 60/40 and neither of them being used enough to be good in fantasy this season.

I get the impression that a lot of people (not just you) think that Burton isn't going to split with Shaheen much at all, so more like a 80/20 split of targets. The main reason for this that is put forth is because of the contracts. I disagree with this. I think the contract is a red herring. If it is a 80/20 split it will be because of Burton being more talented and more ready to play than Shaheen is, not because of the contract difference. 

I think Burton is more experienced than Shaheen but I don't have much evidence to say he is more talented than Shaheen.

Shaheen could be valuable in the red zone for sure. my guess is that he's just not going to get many opportunities otherwise.

What is the difference between a Y and F? Or for that matter a U?

Burton seems more like a H back to me, which can be good for fantasy but also gets lost in the shuffle at times. This type if role is competing with Tarik Cohen for targets as well.

Zach Miller was targeted 4.3 times per game when healthy last season. Trubisky was looking his way a lot. Part of that is because of the lack of other good options, part of that is about match ups.

Burton is a veteran and Shaheen is only entering his second season. Perfectly reasonable to expect that Burton will lead the Bears TE in targets and receptions this season. The coaching staff was not involved with the pick of Shaheen, so they are not as committed to him as the front office is. Training camp could change their mind though. As you can see from what Faust posted, Nagy is still learning about Shaheen.

Just the tone of Nagy's comments tells you that he is learning more about Shaheen right now. He sees Shaheen fitting the offense really well, it is just a matter of how fast he can learn the playbook and the nuances of what they are going to ask him to do.

My interpretation of all this is that Sms will lead the TE in offensive snaps, but be used as a blocker, which is what he is very good at and most of the TE passing targets will be split between Burton and Shaheen. How much of a split remains to be seen, but I could see that being 60/40 and neither of them being used enough to be good in fantasy this season.

I get the impression that a lot of people (not just you) think that Burton isn't going to split with Shaheen much at all, so more like a 80/20 split of targets. The main reason for this that is put forth is because of the contracts. I disagree with this. I think the contract is a red herring. If it is a 80/20 split it will be because of Burton being more talented and more ready to play than Shaheen is, not because of the contract difference. 

I think Burton is more experienced than Shaheen but I don't have much evidence to say he is more talented than Shaheen.
A Y is the traditional in-line TE position. An F is a "move" TE (they can also be called "Jokers"). A little different skill set than a Y. An F is similar to an H-Back, although, in some offenses, an H-Back is most similar to a traditional fullback.

While I agree there's not much evidence to suggest Burton is better than Shaheen in theory, I believe the Bears think Burton is clearly better.

A Y is the traditional in-line TE position. An F is a "move" TE (they can also be "Jokers"). A little different skill set than a Y TE. An F is similar to an H-Back, although, in some offenses, an H-Back is most similar to a traditional fullback.

While I agree there's not much evidence to suggest Burton is better than Shaheen in theory, the Bears believe Burton is better, IMO.
OK well Sims in the Y and Burton is the F. I think these are Coryell designations of position, Nagy runs a WCO so their terminology is a bit different.

Shaheen can play Y or F or U. I don't think Burton will play the Y.

It is a somewhat circular argument to say they believe Burton is better than Shaheen. Based on what? The $$

But once training camp begins the money isn't going to matter to the coaches. They are going to play the guy who they think gives them the best chance to win. Trubisky already has some rapport with Shaheen.

OK well Sims in the Y and Burton is the F. I think these are Coryell designations of position, Nagy runs a WCO so their terminology is a bit different.

Shaheen can play Y or F or U. I don't think Burton will play the Y.

It is a somewhat circular argument to say they believe Burton is better than Shaheen. Based on what? The $$

But once training camp begins the money isn't going to matter to the coaches. They are going to play the guy who they think gives them the best chance to win. Trubisky already has some rapport with Shaheen.
The Y & F are general designations. There's so many variations of the WCO & other offenses that I like to use standardized terms.

The contracts don't matter in absolute theory, but the dynamics of the salary cap, itself, makes money talk, IMO.

That said, we'll know what the Bears think of Shaheen soon enough.

The Y & F are general designations. There's so many variations of the WCO & other offenses that I like to use standardized terms.

The contracts don't matter in absolute theory, but the dynamics of the salary cap, itself, makes money talk, IMO.

That said, we'll know what the Bears think of Shaheen soon enough.
Yeah I could be wrong. I just don't think the money really matters any more than the draft position. Burton wasn't even drafted while Shaheen was a 2nd round pick, pretty high for a TE and he came from a draft class that had 3 TE selected in the first round, likely pushing him down a bit.

Shaheen cam actually block, so can be used in more ways than they might use Burton. Burton is more of a offensive weapon type player who can play QB Full Back, Half Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End (unattached).

I think Shaheen fits the profile of TE types used by KC and the Eagles where Nagy's coaching history comes from.

Yeah I could be wrong. I just don't think the money really matters any more than the draft position. Burton wasn't even drafted while Shaheen was a 2nd round pick, pretty high for a TE and he came from a draft class that had 3 TE selected in the first round, likely pushing him down a bit.

Shaheen cam actually block, so can be used in more ways than they might use Burton. Burton is more of a offensive weapon type player who can play QB Full Back, Half Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End (unattached).

I think Shaheen fits the profile of TE types used by KC and the Eagles where Nagy's coaching history comes from.
I think Shaheen has quite a ways to go on his blocking, but he's definitely got some upside as a receiver.

I'm not super-high on Shaheen even though I like him, but figured the Bears would go "light" in FA on a TE or might use a mid-to-late round pick on one in the draft for depth purposes. I was somewhat shocked they spent so much on a guy like Burton.

Some of his songs are kind of sappy but I think he's pretty talented and really don't mind him.

Users who are viewing this thread