What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans IDPs (2 Viewers)

Titans talked about going 3 safeties but didn't draft one- even if they do, in the fifth or sixth, it's gonna be hmmmm. 

Denzel Johnson (mentioned previously) was a player in college. I don't know why he fell to be UDFA. He had a good summer last year. Him? Ryan? I'm not sure now but I bet it is far more rare than they were thinking. In 2015 and 16 they played an awful lot of 3 safety sets. I think 55%.

Jayon Brown was hit in the knees by this draft. You IDP folks gotta see what his trade value is and think on him. 

No WR probably means Adoree gets some time there.

Johnson, Carraway, and Woods got the most props from this draft. It's interesting because they all performed well and Vrabel was discussing how he watched all the practices and offseason tapes from last year.

Woods was starting NT for minicamp.

Carraway has been mentioned in pressers. He too was a player in college that they got curiously late. He's a great student so it fits that he would catch Vrabel's attention during the learning period. 

Vrabel is not doing Right and Left outside linebacker. The offense and plan for matchups will dictate who goes on which side. 

Vrabel spent much of the week with the LBs and they all played every spot in this lesson minicamp. There's probably nothing to that other than know what your teammates do. Wallace was complimented but he played all four in the NFL so that sort of makes sense.

He was displeased with the DEs being out of position. He didn't say other than Casey but the way Lewan took credit for this, it probably was. He seems to think he found a major flaw in how they line up and attack even in just a walk through type practice. I thought this meant they were going to draft a DE but was wrong. 

Did not like the LBs slow reactions at first but they adjusted well. Without hitting and even the most mild of practices, he wants everyone full speed when the time comes and then pull up to show you did things right. He said there's no way Lebeau tolerated that and they snapped right to it. I guess just first practice laziness. 

The offense was basic and the passing was quick. The defenders didn't seem to like the quick passes in this no contact scenario.

Malcolm Butler raved about Derrick Henry's size and quickness. He was discussing how teams have to tackle him properly (they didn't, just discussion) and put on a good lesson. If ya got kids, you might look for that video. When he says "wrapping up but not going through" I'd swear that's a BB phrase.

Some developments recently. 

Titans drafted Dane Cruikshank (Safety, corner also but really a safety deep cover guy)

The Titans cut Denzel Johnson when they signed Kendrick Lewis. Their announcement said they needed to cut Denzel due to roster requirements. 

There only other depth is a special athlete meh player, a special teams guy that doesn't play D, and Kalan Reed who converted from CB and is really a pretty clear depth guy, end of bench guy. 

Denzel has posted that he is not moving anywhere. Too much to read into that. Could join another team but stay in current house, re-sign with Titans...idk. It is very curious considering the Titans were planning on him stepping up this year.

(Prior 3 safety discussions) That still will happen and the Titans are not done with moves at safety.

UFA list is essentially Vaccarro and old 30ish year old guys

Because that didn't cause enough confusion- Jayon Brown could play some safety this year. On the radio, Vrabel said "We did not draft two linebackers to get Jayon off the field, trust me on that." Hosts suggested moving to safety and he said we'll go over things when the time is right. He didn't say no or yes.

Brown has odd speed. He's very fast for a LB (if not 40 then game speed) and a smidge slow for a safety. He's excellent at staying with the man he's covering but he doesn't always have his body in the right position to make a play. He's not turned right or seeing the ball, but he did hang with some of the better TEs in the NFL last year. In college and rookie year, the coaches tried to make him more tough-nosed but he can't sincerely do the ILB role, shed blockers, and wrap up. Remember this is the guy that replaced Myles Jack in college and people said was almost as athletic. 

Safety is still fleshing itself out. There seems to be some determination to go with three but yet I'm not sure they'll have the "horses" to do so unless Brown converts.

TItans claimed an OLB/DE Gamil President from the Texans. 4-3 DE maybe. He's light and he's no 3-4 DE. Word is only three teams put in waivers for him, but apparently Titans (pick 25) were first in the order so the other two must have been top NFL teams last year. 

Shariff Finch is a DE from Temple that many teams wanted as a UDFA. The Titans threw the most money at him and landed him though. He had an injury that wrecked his season and any draft hopes. Draft scout has him as the 23rd ranked DE. He's 6-4 250 and likely to play OLB as...again....he's too light. He's got great intangibles. Won some academic awards, gym rat, never wanted to come out of games, coach challenged him to play ST and he blocked more kicks or punts than anyone. Played every snap except offense or...something like that.

Lewis was a safety with the Ravens under new DC Dean Pees. He was below average to average. He wasn't requested or recruited or whatever. He asked for a chance and worked out with the Titans during the prior minicamp. He did well enough to earn a contract to get him to camp. He is not viewed as the third safety starter but depth.

Darius Jennings played offense and defense during minicamp and is still one of the most well-rounded players in the NFL. He's been a PS guy for several teams. He plays S, CB, WR, and RB and is good on ST. The latter is where he usually holds value toward a potential roster spot. Since Vrabel has constantly mentioned players have to be able to play more than one position, he was asked about Darius on the radio and said he wished he could have many Darius-es. He was asked about a comparison to the Patriots S/WR Slater and said he couldn't discuss other teams players. Dopey Q, he's not THAT good. He just seems to be a great guy for camp and practices.

Jeremy Boykins is the special athlete I mentioned earlier. He has Vrabel's attention. He and his twin brother (Eagles DB) did something of a tour working out with different trainers and former NFL players this spring. He showed up ready to rock. Vrabel said he let him run with the ones then corrected himself and said no he earned the chance to run with the ones.

The Titans had a walk through where there was running and no contact. The new D and new O were installed and it was about being in the right spot and reacting in the right way. Don't read into too much, just kudos for a nice day in shorts. There's rookie camp this weekend. As I understand it, the PS players from last year that didn't get into games are allowed to participate. There are an absolute ton of DEs expected.  These are UDFAs unsigned looking for a chance. My friends have told me anywhere from 15-25 DEs. The Titans had a few DEs in camp last year that did well in preseason and were cut. I haven't been able to confirm if they returned.

"My boy" Woods- Vrabel said he has no idea why the prior regime didn't play him more. Knows for a fact the Texans discussed him and how to go at he and Casey. DaQuan and Austin he called pieces then said Bennie Logan is a piece too. No idea what that means but I think they're depth. That would mean he still doesn't think they have their starting DE opposite Casey. The UFA list is mostly oldish 30 year old guys.

Karl Klug is not healthy/ hasn't been himself since a torn achilles two years ago. A team and fan favorite that was released. Vrabel has not only met him but told him he's welcome at the facility any time. He is "this close" to retiring but can't hang em up just yet. I would expect he retires or he's added just before camp because they just can't find the DL depth they want. 

Rashaan "looks like a ferrari out there" amidst the others in rookie minicamp.

Not a peep on Landry

I'm hanging on to Jayon on my taxi squad for now, see if he can beat out Woodyard.  I figure by this time next year, we'll know for sure.  

I'm hanging on to Jayon on my taxi squad for now, see if he can beat out Woodyard.  I figure by this time next year, we'll know for sure.  
He won't do that, well not likely. Years of college coaches and then Spanos and Lebeau trying, he's just not the hard-nosed type. There was an interview with him and he discussed his speed and hoping to get more time at OLB blitzing. He and Logan Ryan have been talked about in the third safety role. Cosell mentioned his speed to play dime backer and cover the TE will always have him potentially on the field. He has played S in high school and college. As Butler pointed out, Ryan played S in NE some.

Aaron Wallace was to be a key guy last year. We'll have to see how Vrabel responds to him. He ought to like a guy that can play all four. He's also vying for time.

DeLuca....he is something in highlight tapes. Old school ILB, played through a shoulder separation (how in the...is that even possible for a LB) and another time through a torn meniscus. He ate grass at rookie minicamp and explained it as a punishment his peewee coach made him do so ever since it helps keep him focused. 

Nate Palmer started in GB and was just a ST guy in Ten. Last summer he showed up with a wow, losing so much weight and saying he was determined to start. He didn't. This year he showed up and they called him Rocky Balboa. That poor guy is doing everything he can to get noticed but doesn't seem to be elite enough. Still there's something to like there.

Brown's 40 time was not wow, but ten seconds of watching and you know his game speed is way faster. The competition is pretty strong now but the Titans have been adding intelligent young LBers. Every week of camp, the coaches are complimenting a young guy on his intelligence and Brown is one of them. His speed though is special. It should always help him find some time on the field and always save him from being cut. It's so odd that "Myles' Jack's backup" became a phrase but my goodness they can both fly. 

With Sims and Smith former starters, the Titans are deep with good corners that have all started. Sims has gotten better and better even as they added three CBs. Smith took to Lebeau and was a real pleasant surprise last year. I hope the Ohio State guy can continue with him. He looked great in limited spots and wasn't that good in Chicago or wherever he was before. The DL is meh and depth is meh. With Jayon and Wallace playing all four spots in the NFL, with Calloway playing all four plus DE, Morgan a former DE, Orakpo liking being at the LOS, Landry now....the depth really strongly indicates that they can get as creative as they want and have the horses to do it. I would think any creativity gets Brown onto the field at some spot. 

I don't like Orakpo or Morgan in coverage. I didn't much care for Landry covering in the little I saw. Brown has some strong value there. 

Carraway was the perfect student and a true football player. He adjusted beautifully. He's gotta get comfy and just play this year. 

Dodd is bigger again this year and has always looked more comfy as a DE. Switching him to OLB after minimal experience (period) was dopey. Fans might be, but the Titans are not certain that he is done and still think he could be a player. At least 3 times, it's been said he is no longer playing OLB. Vrabel even said he didn't want him stunting at all. Vrabel pointed out he had some issues at the point of attack but got after the QB well. 

You can always think things through and find a spot for Jayon, even if he is not a traditional ILB

Last edited by a moderator:
OTAs have not been all that surprising for defense.

As I mentioned earlier, Ryan is playing safety versus two WR sets-sometimes. A lot of pausing, teaching, and clapping...so he's probably doing it well.

The Titans are using 3 safeties often.

It is not clear if he is a 3rd safety or 2nd when he is in.

Vrabel is unhappy with the discipline and teachability of the starting LBs and thrilled with the backups. For the most part, I think nothing of this, but one friend said "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and that theory makes me hmmm. They do have three of four old LBs. Probably just more attention than they're used to and more detail than they're used to and all will be well in camp. 

UDFA LBs got attention but they are such a long shot to make the team.

After doing well as DE and OLB, Vrabel said "Carraway has my attention, I'll tell you that." He should be "too small" to be a 3-4 NFL DE so this could change during training camp when he can genuinely be pushed around. 

Vrabel said Carraway came in for Morgan and didn't miss a beat so we can probably guess Landry is Orakpo's backup

Woods was cut in an unprofessional manner and the situation was resolved today. I couldn't be more annoyed at this situation. 

Wallace was complimented each day. Unclear where he fits in but it's looking like Vrabel is gonna love him like Lebeau did-fave backup hustler, coach's pet type

Rookie S whose name I can't spell struggled mightily and did not catch on as OTAs moved forward. This has to be a concern. I'd look for them to add someone.

Adoree practiced a bunch of offense. Vrabel continues to say he will not play every snap meaning offense, defense, and special teams. 

Boykins was awesome and terrible so I don't know what to think.

Sims still gets plenty of reps with starters. I think he might be Adoree's rest guy so that Ryan can learn safety.

Bennie has not done well and with Woods cut, this is an issue. Another, look for them to add position is NT.

Vrabel compliments Wallace as having HOF shoulders. What on earth that means idk but maybe you idp folks do.

Vrabel made a comment about seeing veterans do certain things and resting otherwise during preseason. Take preseason with grain of salt and check TC reports giving them more weight.

OTAs have not been all that surprising for defense.

As I mentioned earlier, Ryan is playing safety versus two WR sets-sometimes. A lot of pausing, teaching, and clapping...so he's probably doing it well.

The Titans are using 3 safeties often.

It is not clear if he is a 3rd safety or 2nd when he is in.

Vrabel is unhappy with the discipline and teachability of the starting LBs and thrilled with the backups. For the most part, I think nothing of this, but one friend said "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and that theory makes me hmmm. They do have three of four old LBs. Probably just more attention than they're used to and more detail than they're used to and all will be well in camp. 

UDFA LBs got attention but they are such a long shot to make the team.

After doing well as DE and OLB, Vrabel said "Carraway has my attention, I'll tell you that." He should be "too small" to be a 3-4 NFL DE so this could change during training camp when he can genuinely be pushed around. 

Vrabel said Carraway came in for Morgan and didn't miss a beat so we can probably guess Landry is Orakpo's backup

Woods was cut in an unprofessional manner and the situation was resolved today. I couldn't be more annoyed at this situation. 

Wallace was complimented each day. Unclear where he fits in but it's looking like Vrabel is gonna love him like Lebeau did-fave backup hustler, coach's pet type
What does this mean?

Jayon Brown has received a lot of time with the ones. Woodyard and Wallace are tough. He isn't. I strongly believe that changes when hitting begins. 

He and Ryan as the third safety is looking pretty solid now. Not something to try but they're moving forward with it.

Simms has been fantastic and there's no starting spot for him. I think we'll see more nickel and dime sets than previous.  I think they're finagling how to get the best players on the field while also creating a new system. It still seems fluid which is maybe a bit late but who cares if it's settled by camp.

Antwaun won the starting spot in Dallas in one day. I don't think nose tackles help much in idp but y'all should jump at a new starter. This season's gonna hurt watching him thrive elsewhere.

Really odd to see Woods listed on Roto as NT 1 ..... the Cowboys run a 4-3 with Irvin & Collins as the top 2 DTs. It's like they created a spot to list Woods as a starter but he's not really a starter since they don't technically use a NT, anyway. Still worth keeping an eye on but it seems like a coach speak type move by Dallas. Collins wasn't worth a roster spot and Irvin now has several years worth of injury time so it's entirely possible Woods becomes a viable DT.

Really odd to see Woods listed on Roto as NT 1 ..... the Cowboys run a 4-3 with Irvin & Collins as the top 2 DTs. It's like they created a spot to list Woods as a starter but he's not really a starter since they don't technically use a NT, anyway. Still worth keeping an eye on but it seems like a coach speak type move by Dallas. Collins wasn't worth a roster spot and Irvin now has several years worth of injury time so it's entirely possible Woods becomes a viable DT.
Dallas radio does not like their DTs really and (it almost doesn't matter which host) the hosts love Woods. 

I have talked to scouts. He flashes big, maybe amongst the top NTs the last few years but his struggles were bad. Teams were looking more for steady play. Too risky to have a NT break down. He was widely expected to be drafted but no one bit. One of the most common conversations amongst scouts is Woods. Great topic for learning and discussion in every way. Many NFL teams are curious how he does with the Cowboys. He played one late season game with the Titans and played very well. He played very well each summer. Did the Titans develop him and fix issues? NT is a weak position in the NFL and many teams only keep one and once the season begins ya can't really find a replacement. It's not a typical NFL position. It's thought of like a big commitment so teams often go safe with steady eddy types rather than impact big play up N down types.

This is no exclusive to Woods. Any name UDFA the scouting departments track and discuss. A name usually has the talent but other issues that scared teams away then of course ya have the drafted guys that had issues ignored. The UDFAs make excellent barometers, training, and discussion for the next draft. They're NOT usually a player a team will re-look at. They decided against, but the discussion is still useful in a scouting world.

As far as Woods, he had to play End to make the team as per Lebeau. He did and played well. Many Titans fans saw him each preseason and had a whole what the experience when he was on the PS. 

Brown has been playing some homemade position and doing outstanding at it. He was called third safety and then some call him an extra linebacker. I wouldn't try and make sense of it til ya see it in preseason. He has caught the attention of the Titans staff and every reporter, so his play has been wow. You can't ever lose sight of that he has big issues shedding blockers and putting a hard hat on. That was the rub on him on draft day and it was evident as a rookie. The Titans answer seems to be to move him around. Vrabel and Co have not appeared to make him a traditional ILB. Brown will also probably always look great til they start hitting in camp. 

Rashaan is the real deal. Going on words (oh so risky oh so can't hang your hat on it) I would guess he's the only LB in the middle while Brown roams. I can't stress enough that ya gotta see it to understand and truly digest. I haven't yet.

Wallace has also won the hearts of the staff. Vrabel recently complimented (former coach) Spanos on his training of the young LBs. He coached Brown and Wallace at UCLA but Vrabel included Carraway in his quote too. Someone asked if Lebeau had anything to do with the LBs development and Vrabel said he knows a thing or two about that but the Q really didn't land. It was more of a duh reaction to the Q. Anyway...Vrabel loves the young LBs and the rookie LBs (including UDFAs) so the Titans are probably going to drop some common depth. Nate Palmer is probably gone. I'm not super confident in Compton making this team nevermind starting. All of the young guys can play ST and more than one position so if he's a backup, I am hmmm about him making the team. Also with this it's way too early, I just really wanted to point out the excellent youth and that they seem like they're going to impact the roster makeup.  

Sims is another player that I've confirmed played safety this spring. He played free safety and was complimented for being long. This could allow Byard some freedom as Cyprien isn't very good at deep coverage. 

Might be nothing!

In 2017, the Titans played every backup DB at CB and S and forced them to learn both. During preseason, they switched them between plays and it was pretty cool. During the season, they used this in one game. That's it. 

In 2016, Rashad Johnson was the outfielder and Byard had freedom to roam more. He was an All-Pro in 2017 as a free safety, so he clearly did that better, but maybe they want an option here?

I'm not hearing good things about the rookie safety. More like he has a lot of learning to do. They also might be trying to manufacture a player here with Sims.

Regardless, safety seems plenty odd heading into camp 

Kevin Dodd has been razzed and teased enough that he was kind of firey on the radio. This is not his normal character. He's probably cut soon but maybe just maybe there's a fire lit under him

Dallas radio does not like their DTs really and (it almost doesn't matter which host) the hosts love Woods. 

I have talked to scouts. He flashes big, maybe amongst the top NTs the last few years but his struggles were bad. Teams were looking more for steady play. Too risky to have a NT break down. He was widely expected to be drafted but no one bit. One of the most common conversations amongst scouts is Woods. Great topic for learning and discussion in every way. Many NFL teams are curious how he does with the Cowboys. He played one late season game with the Titans and played very well. He played very well each summer. Did the Titans develop him and fix issues? NT is a weak position in the NFL and many teams only keep one and once the season begins ya can't really find a replacement. It's not a typical NFL position. It's thought of like a big commitment so teams often go safe with steady eddy types rather than impact big play up N down types.

This is no exclusive to Woods. Any name UDFA the scouting departments track and discuss. A name usually has the talent but other issues that scared teams away then of course ya have the drafted guys that had issues ignored. The UDFAs make excellent barometers, training, and discussion for the next draft. They're NOT usually a player a team will re-look at. They decided against, but the discussion is still useful in a scouting world.

As far as Woods, he had to play End to make the team as per Lebeau. He did and played well. Many Titans fans saw him each preseason and had a whole what the experience when he was on the PS. 
Thanks, I certainly wouldn't ever have known what local radio thinks of him in Dallas. 

The bigger take for me on this, now, is that Irving is facing yet another 4 game ban. Woods is looking like an attractive stash to start the season since he could very well be starting as a DT until (maybe even after?) Irving returns from suspension. 

I wasn't trying to correct you, sorry If that came across wrong. I think it needs to be said when their seems to be a bias. The newspaper writers don't necessarily agree and sometimes that's odd. Now I try to point out things Inotice and then when camp is live reports are better and no longer guesses

I think-as of now- Landry will be more of a wait for next year type player and sub as a rookie whereas Rashan is going to probably be pretty special for you IDP folks. 

The talk of Derrick Morgan playing DE has died down some and with Wallace showing well yet again and Brown's outstanding speed and coverage for a backer, I think they're going to have to find spots to put Landry in whereas Rashan is just simply starting and gonna play as much as possible.

The last two (or more) camps both Morgan and Orakpo have participated sparingly like veterans do. I wanted to forewarn people that things might look like Landry is more than he is. Unless Vrabel or Pees says so, don't believe reports or tweets or whatnot. Orakpo isn't exactly some chump.

Part time as a rookie unless a Titans staff member says differently

Rashaan is the real deal. Going on words (oh so risky oh so can't hang your hat on it) I would guess he's the only LB in the middle while Brown roams. I can't stress enough that ya gotta see it to understand and truly digest. I haven't yet.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowFollow @RapSheet

Meanwhile, for the #Titans: Rashaan Evans & Michael Campanaro are on the NFI list, while OT Jack Conklin is on the PUP list to start camp. Not a huge surprise.

1:20 PM - 22 Jul 2018

-----------------------------------

Footballguys view: Campanaro was seen as a possible candidate to be the Titans return specialist and sometimes slot receiver, but it appears the injury bug may have bit him again. Evans battled a groin injury last year at Alabama, it's unknown whether this delay has anything to do with that issue.

---------------------------------

NFI = Non Football Injury so unless that groin injury had nothing to do with football it is something else non-football related and could be a 'new' injury that may or may not be related to his previous injury.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowFollow @RapSheet

Meanwhile, for the #Titans: Rashaan Evans & Michael Campanaro are on the NFI list, while OT Jack Conklin is on the PUP list to start camp. Not a huge surprise.

1:20 PM - 22 Jul 2018

-----------------------------------

Footballguys view: Campanaro was seen as a possible candidate to be the Titans return specialist and sometimes slot receiver, but it appears the injury bug may have bit him again. Evans battled a groin injury last year at Alabama, it's unknown whether this delay has anything to do with that issue.

---------------------------------

NFI = Non Football Injury so unless that groin injury had nothing to do with football it is something else non-football related and could be a 'new' injury that may or may not be related to his previous injury.
College injuries are not considered football injuries by the NFL and can still land him on NFI.  Only if he were hurt at an NFL function would he not be eligible for NFI.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
The Titans have a Pats-esque way of using these lists so I am leery of anything til Thursday.

I also don't like requiring they come 4-5 days before camp starts. It sets up some unnecessary drama

Jayon Brown discussed on the radio- played corner, DE, all four LB spots, SS and FS. Did everything well. Staff calls UCLA guys real sharp, picked up the new D in minutes, amazed at their ability to do so. Don't want to take his brain off the field, yeah it's his speed but really his brain. Wallace should be a super sub and Brown should be the most useful guy in football. They really think it's going to be a pain for opposing QBs to have to pick out what Brown is doing pre-snap and when ya throw in Wallace (if he's in the play) it could be too much for some, especially the younger QBs. 

Vrabel was no joke making guys learn different positions. We'll see how often he uses it, but could genuinely put a D out there with everyone playing a different than normal spot.

This is interesting because with the Titans youth most of them have had to break into the NFL learning a couple spots and ol Morgan and Orakpo have played DE while Casey has had to cover the nose, Byard's lined up as a corner, Ryan played S in New England a bit. He's not wrong, they COULD mix things up comfortably for a play. Presnap I get, but otherwise I'm not sure why this would be an advantage. It's not like they're doing what they do best. If this brings an interception on a key third down I'll think he's a genius. If it gives up a huge play, I'll think it was dopey. It's really hmmmm....

So we're clear this is now more than some drill making the guys learn the new defense but no one has any idea how often. Brown and Wallace moving around is definite. Otherwise a slew of uncertainty

The Titans have a Pats-esque way of using these lists so I am leery of anything til Thursday.

I also don't like requiring they come 4-5 days before camp starts. It sets up some unnecessary drama
Everyone, expected to, passed the physical test

Definite triangle of two CBs wide and one CB playing a safety-ish role. Ryan and Adoree played it, Butler stayed.

Slot was largely manned by Byard and Cyprien. Almost exclusively rookie WRs in slot so might be a grain of salt here.

Brown barely played with first unit and was a safety with little bit of ILB work.

Old guy young guy sets first day- Rashaan and Woodyard then Wallace and Compton

Compton had a bad day, on the ground an awful lot for no pads below the waist and not true full contact. Pulled from first group back in with second group. Brown went to ILB and was waved to S. Might be more about getting Compton comfy than Brown playing safety. Don't jump here just yet.

While safeties did a wrap up drill, Brown worked with CBs on WRs.

Still has the feel of him playing anywhere and everywhere. Most just took from day one that the CBs are in some sort of triangle.

Simms way too good for second team, allowed zero catches

Wallace in some five LB looking set, roaming OL, just like last camp. Vrabel had to see that from tape and liked it.

Orakpo got a day off. 

Landry was awesome and awful. Overran plays, pushed aside like nothing, got to the runner and got to the QB, smoked on a route by a WR, and swatted away a pass too.

Shorts or not, everyone saw the super athlete that might not be savvy enough for fulltime work his rookie year. It's more than just Orakpo being a name in the NFL; the rook's got some learning to do. 

He chased Mariota on a run and everyone clapped as he gained on him. Then he laid collapsed and laughing he almost had him. Vrabel went from clapping to barking at him on this. I get it, but ya don't lay down rook! Because he is the golden boy, Mariota helped him up and told him WE will run full speed back to the huddle so coach sees some effort. 

Morgan and Wallace spent a lot of time with him barking things before snaps

Still not full contact but all the speed in the world doesn't matter if ya run past a play. The TN reporters got a good view of why he may not be ready for primetime.

Plenty of camp left, we shall see.

Nick DeLuca has switched to TE.

I am NOT a fan of this. A steal of a UDFA that has been getting good reps and praise...trade someone or let him push the veterans. Don't do this!

Vrabel spent the first two days pulling Jonnu and Fluellen and the next day those two and Stocker. Vrabel stepped in as the FB with a big blocking pad on. Both days there were conversations with JRob that no one heard but "had to be" that they need a FB. DeLuca ran zero routes and smashed a pad working on run blocking technique yesterday- this was a FB drill when the Titans regularly had FBs sooooo they're gonna list him as TE but consider it FB

Brown has played inside and outside recently, very little safety.

Rookie Safety made one good hit and otherwise reports are of him being burned by WRs and not in the right spot. One reporter said he's not even running when a CB hands the WR off so he's probably not even using proper technique. Kendrick Lewis has done well and appears to be the next safety. I don't have any reports if Ryan has played safety during this time.

As per usual, a couple rookie UDFA DEs are standing out but it's been many years since one made the team so I'm glossing over this for now.

Titans signed a journeyman DE and a very young UDFA from Oklahoma that is probably a (huge) body for the practice squad that may become a nose some day.

I don't know where Daquan is playing yet. 

Tye Smith- the curiously good CB last year that started in the playoffs, was put on IR. Back to discussing Kalan Reed. Almost haven't heard his name this year since the CBs have played so well. I guess it will be the same as last year- since Lebeau taught him safety, he probably is very useful when you consider the last CB and last S and iron out the very end of the roster. 

Michael Griffin, former safety for Titans, is an intern coach and maybe he can help the rookie. 

Demontre Hurst ran with the ones as safety. There isn't confidence in the rookie and Lewis is limited although he has done well.

Vaccaro visits tomorrow and the immediacy probably means he signs.

Brown played S before Lewis today but he too was not seen as the step-in guy nor was Ryan. I think this clearly shows those two are the extra in 3S sets and not truly thought of as a safety...if that makes sense.

BTW Hurst did very well. Lebeau training everyone to play S or CB the last two years is paying dividends. 

Cyprien is a deficiency in coverage so this may not be as bad as it seems. 

Vaccaro is an outfielder isn't he? I guess that means Byard would be (if) strong safety

A lot of good chatter about Maxey, Finch (afforded veterans days off yet a UDFA) and Wallace. Wallace has supposedly played all four LB positions and lined up at each DE spot. He plays with all three groups. That's probably enough to guess Wallace has become this staff's coach's pet as he was with the previous. 

The Titans had a scrimmage.

Much of the result is exactly what we talked about here. Landry looks OMG fast when he bursts, but Lewis was able to turn him 360 degrees on a long run.

Wallace played everywhere and did everything well. Wallace really looks like the backup OLB while Landry looks like the guy you send in to stand on the line and rush the passer.

Hurst did well again (such a shock, who knew) as the starting safety. Kruik got burned a lot and seems to have no idea how to counter a stiff arm. 

I assume Lewis came in next but there's no mention of it. Only two safeties all scrimmage, none of that 3 safety stuff.

Adoree was using his athleticism to leave his WR and try to help on where the ball was going. It seemed to catch people's eyes that he was everywhere last night and how can he possibly be that fast. There's some talk of how quickly he's maturing. Some were saying if there's a tipped ball, it'll be his. Maybe he saw Byard get those INTs last year and wants them for himself. Adoree hit Henry hard and Henry got up and high fived him. Real good signs from the second year super athlete.

Adoree either didn't play offense or didn't get a pass.

Brown didn't recover well from a Henry hit the day before and sat out the scrimmage. Vrabel refused to discuss his injury. Rashaan sat as did Orakpo and Morgan.

Wallace seemed to play third or fourth string DE after starting at OLB and moving inside. Lewis only had a few inside runs but Wallace wrapped him up each time.

Reid is coming for a visit today. It's widely viewed as the Titans doing something for the NFL and Reid's lawsuit against them.

If ya don't know, the Titans train with the 101st during the offseason and their wives get together with the 101st's wives. They also save tickets for them each game and the 101st have free passes to go into the locker room before games and chat with the players.

This is not a team anxious to sign an anthem protester

The first depth chart is out and it's something I've seen before. Whisenhunt? No rookie is on first or second string. 

Vrabel not giving injury updates until he has to (week one) is almost to a tee here, but Rishard has parenthesis so he is the only one listed as injured.

It always makes the rest of the depth chart a joke when they do that rookie thing. I bet Vrabel would say I don't have to give an accurate one....I'm getting annoyed by him.

Radio- Shariff Finch will make the team whether he practices or not. I expect him to practice but they love him and paid that UDFA a lot of money. You can count on it.

Also Akrum Wadley and Dion Lewis had a day versus Vaccaro. If there wasn't a lot of tape on him and a desperation, there would be concern. 

How did Jayon Brown look ?

Is he gonna be the starting ILB with Woodyard ?
Bad bad. Missed tackles, ran past a play, easy pass allowed in coverage

He had an INT but don't give him a good grade and change reality. The ball was tipped well, behind the line of scrimmage, and it was up there for a good 3 months before it landed into Brown's lap. He didn't do anything on that play

Saw an interesting writeup that details Brown. The writer called him hesitant all night. He picked up the RB late three times, once covered a WR and had to recover from the snap, had a lane didn't burst through and missed what could have been an easy sack. He said it could be first game jitters but he played long enough he should have been able to shake them.

Rashaan really had no competition, that would be Woodyard and right now Brown is well behind them and not pushing them at all. I'm paraphrasing all this.

I can tell ya Kalan Reed stunk as a CB and S and once he entered the field, the Pack looked for him. I was all uh oh but that little bugger did well the rest of the game. Maybe 2-3 bad plays and then did well. Sims had two bad plays, not even that bad but he did get beat, and then he was very good. Butler allowed that bomb but ya never heard from his guy after. There were a whole lot of things that could probably be jitters and ya discard but Brown...man he didn't overcome and get comfy 

Bri,

You seemed locked into this team - Is Evans gonna be main dog sooner than later? Woodyard was quite productive last year, but seems to just be holding down the job until they find their young stud at the position. I am hoping Evans fills this role. Just wondering if he can/will lead this team in tackles from the get go.

I'll rewatch the game today or tomorrow and post more. The cameras were like new cameramen at times. I couldn't always see the D and very often had no view of safeties at all. 

Shariff Finch and Harold Landry can get after the QB. Landry is holy wow fast and athletic. Finch is more traditional DE where y'all would mention his push and hands and his footwork. Either way it was obvious why they paid Finch so much as a UDFA and why Landry was a first round talent in the second. Landry played all or almost all snaps at the LOS and clearly they don't have confidence in him yet as a traditional OLB playing a few yards off the LOS. Finch was same which was weird. Both these college tweener types were listed as OLB/DE for the draft and Finch obviously needs to add some heft to him but if he's gonna play DE then it's gonna have to be 3-4 I would think. He'll be awfully limited if it's just in the occasional 4-3 set. One game, first game, each got a sack. I don't want to overreact. I saw good players and probably should leave it at that.

Warmsley who has had a good camp and is a former Texans project guy, he was the only regular DE to consistently push guys around. He wasn't trying to get to the QB but he pushed his guy back a good yard several times. He knocked another down too. He looked like a bully in a real good way. Johnson and Daquan held their ground very well. I gotta give them much credit for that. They didn't get after the QB and probably didn't even step into the backfield but they did exactly what's asked of them- hold their ground so the LBs and S can zoom in and make a play. The Pack didn't run well against them either. Casey barely played and was Casey. Morgan and Orakpo sat, I believe.

Logan sat and if he wants to make this team he had better get healthy. I don't see it with Daquan playing nose. The Titans only kept one nose last year.

I missed Carraway. I noticed Wallace as OLB, ILB, and something of an OLB at the LOS.

Hurst was really fine as a S. I didn't see him make many plays or anything but he was always around the play ready to. He does have a good head on his shoulders. You could see what the coach meant. Didn't matter where the play was, he read it, and would be near the tackle. 

Bates looked like a rookie LB-made plays, made mistakes

I have to rewatch but I think the Sooner sophomore giant NT probably did well late as far as holding his ground. He's huge so I expect that but ya know that can be useful. I strongly think he is a practice squad guy as I said a couple weeks ago. If as a 20 year old you can fend off NFL linemen from pushing you around...yeah let's see what happens when NFL coaches train you.

Bri,

You seemed locked into this team - Is Evans gonna be main dog sooner than later? Woodyard was quite productive last year, but seems to just be holding down the job until they find their young stud at the position. I am hoping Evans fills this role. Just wondering if he can/will lead this team in tackles from the get go.
He is already. He calls the plays and has been accepted for getting on people out of position. They love the pick and everything has been just raving about him. That he will lead the team in tackles sounds quite reasonable. My only concern is that he's a rookie but you know that.

"'I don't know that Damontre Hurst is better, but he certainly isn't worse. They really got lucky there.' That's what a guest on our show said. What do you think of that?"

JRob- We did. I mean on tape he wraps up well. We knew that when we signed him to play corner. He's been very well coached and it's been evident since day one.

"Vaccaro should be able to give you the big hitter to replace Cyprien but there aren't many reports saying he's done that in camp. What's going on there?"

JRob- I think it's simple. He needs time to get used to the defense and get comfortable. In the meantime, Hurst... he doesn't let anyone get behind him. Ya know Vrabel threw him in there when Cyp got hurt and it's kind of a funny story now. He told Damontre just don't let anyone past you. That was it, like get us through this practice. 

"Will Hurst start over Vaccaro? Is that allowed when you sign a free agent? Do you get on a coach like hey I got you this guy and didn't need to?"

JRob- Oh no no. It's his team he can do what he want. Hurst could start. Vaccaro could start. That will play out. Ya know we still have a few wrinkles up our sleeve

"Ryan playing safety?"

JRob- Yeah I guess the cat's out of the bag on that one. He's done quite well for us.

"Best free agent you've signed?"

JRob- oh sure and even though it's a short time, he may always be. He's a leader, active in the community...I can't say enough about him.

"Well tell us something about him maybe we don't know"

JRob- well, Wes has been working with Rashaan getting him up to speed, as you know. Logan got involved in the conversation and then followed them to the linebackers room. No one stopped it. He spent an afternoon with the linebackers teaching them all he could.

"In the meeting room?"

JRob- Yeah and it's carried over. Rashaan has someone he can count on. I mean it's not just him. Everyone on defense has helped but those two developed a close bond that day. It seems to me they did.

It sounds like Ryan is worth making offers on heading into the season. If his designation sticks as CB but he gets work as S he could easily blow up the stats box getting way more tackles than most CBs would. 

It sounds like Ryan is worth making offers on heading into the season. If his designation sticks as CB but he gets work as S he could easily blow up the stats box getting way more tackles than most CBs would. 
Jayon Brown has no set spot so he makes everything tricky to predict

Adoree struggled during the first day against the Bucs and then put on a show in day two. Ya gotta check out videos of INTs and even him flipping. It also characterizes him in camp- it's much like his rookie year- he learns and struggles, gets it and wow is he athletic. 

Butler wasn't doing well against Evans so Adoree came on. The day before, Ryan struggled with Evans and Adoree came in. 

Adoree has been playing outfielder on super deep practice sets.

PK predicts that Rashaan can't start week one because he doesn't have enough reps. I couldn't disagree more- all the raving and raving and he's gonna sit? 

I warned you that Orakpo sits alot so don't overreact to Landry press. Orakpo and Morgan's absence during the summer has been status quo for them. AFAIK Landry is still not ahead of Carraway or Wallace and still just a LB at the line of scrimmage so a 3rd down backer/rusher.  

It's probably time for you IDP folks to google Finch and put him on your radar. Let's see how things go but...he needs to be on your radar now

thanks for the info...what is his story?

not even in MFL yet
One of the more expensive udfas after the draft. A tweener that leaned more toward DE than OLB and I think people figured he's just too small. 

He's worked his way up from 4th string to now getting reps with the ones. 

Against the Bucs in practices, he would have had 4 sacks in two days- four stoppages with the red jersey. 

Some are noting he is way too small for 3-4 DE but with Landry as a rusher next to him, they can't account for two speed rushers and Casey.

Daquan has been playing nose and well. Logan has barely practiced since being signed so its unclear if they'll even keep him. Regardless it seems Daquan is the nose.

Austin Johnson has been largely unimpressive despite awesome measurable. He probably remains the run down DE.

I am leaping some. One week doesn't make a starter. He had a sack against 3rd or 4th string last game but...against 3rd or 4th string so I'm saying only to put him on your radar. 

It's always been difficult for me to predict 3rd down rushers so I lack confidence here its just...geesh he keeps making plays

Users who are viewing this thread