What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Car negotiation question (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
I'm in the process of purchasing a new vehicle.  The dealership is currently running a special where local utility customers get a $10k discount off of MSRP.  Other dealerships of the same brand in the area are NOT currently running this special discount.  

Would you attempt to negotiate the price down even further, or is that simply getting greedy?  10k off is a 20% discount already, and I'm willing to pay that price.  

There is no harm in trying to push for more.  Don't be offensive with your offers--but try to push for some throw ins.   The worst that they can say is "no thank you"--so why not try? Also keep in mind that auto sales have really slowed down the last quarter and the 2018's are coming out soon.  They need to sell that car more than you need to buy it.   

It's not greedy to negotiate a better price. They make money in other ways (kickbacks from car maker if X number of cars are sold in a particular period, your car service/repairs, etc etc).

Don't feel bad getting the best price you can.

Keep negotiating. Best trick I ever learned was that if a dealership closes at 9pm.  You walk in there at 8:50pm.  They aren't going to kick out a sale, but no one there really wants to stay all night.  So you'll get to their bottom price a lot faster.

Of course this is the right answer, I am just hoping to skip the icky part of this process if I really don't have any leverage here after the 10k discount.  
Order a packet from fightingchance and see if what you're being offered is really a good deal.  Every dealership has their bottom line and this one is using a 10k gimmick to drive traffic.  Zero chance that they're going to be 10k less than the guy down the road.

Negotiating over a car is pretty easy - go in with known numbers (real numbers) and don't be afraid to walk.  Walking is your biggest lever; they hate a potential customer walking out.

Of course this is the right answer, I am just hoping to skip the icky part of this process if I really don't have any leverage here after the 10k discount.  
I think most people can relate to this, but would also say car dealers and similar retailers probably love the fact that most people consider price negotiation to be icky, something to avoid. 

I'm in the process of purchasing a new vehicle.  The dealership is currently running a special where local utility customers get a $10k discount off of MSRP.  Other dealerships of the same brand in the area are NOT currently running this special discount.  

Would you attempt to negotiate the price down even further, or is that simply getting greedy?  10k off is a 20% discount already, and I'm willing to pay that price.  
According to this, the $10k appears to have nothing to do with one dealership. http://www.autonews.com/article/20170809/OEM05/170809704/bmw-nissan-pile-on-incentives-to-spur-san-diego-ev-sales?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Doesnt seem like it's coming out of the dealer's pocket so you should be able to negotiate the price and they won't care. No idea why other dealerships don't offer it, unless they have to be in San Diego in which case you take this and run. Seems like a big waste of taxpayer money, but hey it's CA.

Also, not trying to offend here but IMHO, that car is ugly. Reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek. 

Embrace negotiation. I love the challenge and the dance. 

Don't work down from the price minus the $10,000. Work from dealer cost plus (use whatever language you want).

Also, don't fall for the psychological money off pitch. It's so contrived that they advertise things like, "$13,361 Cash Back on this truck! $55,000 MSRP." Why not just say, "Remodel your house with CASH! $57,361 Cash Back off the $99,000 List Price?"

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this, the $10k appears to have nothing to do with one dealership. http://www.autonews.com/article/20170809/OEM05/170809704/bmw-nissan-pile-on-incentives-to-spur-san-diego-ev-sales?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Doesnt seem like it's coming out of the dealer's pocket so you should be able to negotiate the price and they won't care. No idea why other dealerships don't offer it, unless they have to be in San Diego in which case you take this and run. Seems like a big waste of taxpayer money, but hey it's CA.

Also, not trying to offend here but IMHO, that car is ugly. Reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek. 
No offense taken - the styling is very polarizing.  

There are 4-5 BMW dealerships in SDiego, and this is the only one offering the discount, and it doesn't have anything to do with taxpayer dollars.  It's not a govt discount, it's an instant $10k off of MSRP, and any discounts you can get from govt are in addition to the 10k.  

Thats why this deal is so intriguing; with the govt tax incentives (10k) and the instant markdown (10k), an i3 with a sticker of 51k like the one I am looking at is now essentially 31k.  Once you factor in the ~ 2k per year in fuel savings, it's a tough offer to pass up. 

And they are fun as #### to drive.  Zero to 30 faster than an M3.  

I'm asking for an additional 4% off.  

We'll see.  Hard to believe they would lose the deal for ~ 2k.  

There are 4-5 BMW dealerships in SDiego, and this is the only one offering the discount, and it doesn't have anything to do with taxpayer dollars.  It's not a govt discount, it's an instant $10k off of MSRP, and any discounts you can get from govt are in addition to the 10k.  

Thats why this deal is so intriguing; with the govt tax incentives (10k) and the instant markdown (10k), an i3 with a sticker of 51k like the one I am looking at is now essentially 31k.  Once you factor in the ~ 2k per year in fuel savings, it's a tough offer to pass up. 

A good friend of mine loves his. The styling is unique. One thing that makes sense, but is still kind of hard for us old guys to get used to - no spare tire of any kind. Just a can of spray goop and a phone number. 

Check truecar pricing to see what others are paying for that same car in your area and you'll know if it's a good deal or not. You may be surprised, one way or the other.

Order a packet from fightingchance and see if what you're being offered is really a good deal.  Every dealership has their bottom line and this one is using a 10k gimmick to drive traffic.  Zero chance that they're going to be 10k less than the guy down the road.

Negotiating over a car is pretty easy - go in with known numbers (real numbers) and don't be afraid to walk.  Walking is your biggest lever; they hate a potential customer walking out.
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/727795-how-to-buy-a-new-car-i-might-save-you-money/#comment-18076973

Check truecar pricing to see what others are paying for that same car in your area and you'll know if it's a good deal or not. You may be surprised, one way or the other.
I checked this, and it was $49k.  But that was the day the 10k discount was announced, so I think that is likely slightly inflated.  Truecar is before taxes and fees though, and is another 3.5k.  

I can't wait to hear that the dealership is using bogus MSRPs on their cars because of dealer additions to the car.  We have dealerships in NJ that do that nonsense and people fall for it all the time.

I would 100% use this strategy, but I'm dealing with the only dealership offering the 10k discount.  Maybe I'll email the other dealerships, and see if they will match anyway.  
The discount is an incentive from bmw. They want to push more ev into the market. They want to ramp 10x capacity of ev and need more adoption and are willing to take a loss on these. 

I can't wait to hear that the dealership is using bogus MSRPs on their cars because of dealer additions to the car.  We have dealerships in NJ that do that nonsense and people fall for it all the time.
I can see how that could happen - but I have the MSRP from building this exact model online, and it's the same.  

Since you are an FBG, tell the dealership you are obviously paying in cash and want the lower cash price too.
Bad move. Dealers get a little (to a LOT) of kickback on the financing. You're MUCH better off letting them think you'll finance through them until the price itself is determined. The shark move is to negotiate and fix the price, then trade in allowance (if any), and THEN talk about how you're paying. NEVER tell them up front you're paying cash.

Bad move. Dealers get a little (to a LOT) of kickback on the financing. You're MUCH better off letting them think you'll finance through them until the price itself is determined. The shark move is to negotiate and fix the price, then trade in allowance (if any), and THEN talk about how you're paying. NEVER tell them up front you're paying cash.
True. I was just emphasizing and joking that as FBGs we are all rich. 

It is best to not tell them you are paying in cash up front.  Also, try to keep trade-ins as separate as you can, as they are just another way to cover up how they are screwing you money-wise. 

How much electricity does it take per year?
My friends who are EV owners said they barely notice an increase in their electric bills.  I work for an energy company so I get free charging at work.

In sum, I estimate around $200 in increased electric costs per year.  Around the same price as the 2 oil changes I do per year for my 4Runner.  So the ~ $1800 a year I  currently spend on gas is a 100% saving.  

Truecar is another method to set pricing expectations and secure large profits for the dealership.  I found it useless.

The secret of negotiation is to make an offer that is an extreme offer but keeps the conversation going. The art of negotiation is knowing how extreme of an offer you can make. This applies to both the buyer and the seller.

Polarizing is a great way to put it 

Is their discount just the $7500 federal credit and $2500 state rebate? I have a hard time believing that it is a dealer discount only because then your total is $30k off. I'm a little confused at why the other dealers have a different price since the $20k off in the article is tax and utility credits.

Polarizing is a great way to put it 

Is their discount just the $7500 federal credit and $2500 state rebate? I have a hard time believing that it is a dealer discount only because then your total is $30k off. I'm a little confused at why the other dealers have a different price since the $20k off in the article is tax and utility credits.
10k off sticker from the dealer at purchase.  Then you get another 10k in fed and state tax rebates next spring when you do your taxes. So the $51k sticker ends up costing you $31k, plus taxes and fees. 

10k off sticker from the dealer at purchase.  Then you get another 10k in fed and state tax rebates next spring when you do your taxes. So the $51k sticker ends up costing you $31k, plus taxes and fees. 
Yep, I get that but from that article it appears that your local utility is driving that $10k discount. I don't get why the other SD dealerships aren't offering it. Seems like $0 is coming out of their pockets. 

do you guys ever get the vehicle protection packages they throw at you? seems like a jip
You can purchase third party extended warranties much cheaper than the ones at the settlement desk at the dealership.  (or is this something different?)

I never did play this game.  I just used the numbers they gave as a solid negotiating starting ground.  Between knowing real numbers and not being afraid to walk (my wife hated me that day) I managed a good deal - way underneath what TrueCar said I'd be able to do.  The finance lady noted how many red numbers were on their sheet.  

The notes about financing are right - they really want you to finance through them.  I took them up on that and financed the minimum (10k) to grab the $500 bonus there.  After the interest expense I was still up $325 or so on that part of it.  

So on the deal I squeezed the dealership pretty well, but in the end I still did buy the wife a 35k car.  (Which is more than I've spent, in total, on all cars for myself in my life).

I would 100% use this strategy, but I'm dealing with the only dealership offering the 10k discount.  Maybe I'll email the other dealerships, and see if they will match anyway.  
You would be crazy not to call every dealership in your city with the current best offer(even the 10k discount as the best) and see if they can beat it. I ended up getting the upgraded version of my new car cheaper than the one I was looking for. Dealers will make crazy deals if they are close to bonuses from manufacturers. They also gave me 4x the amount on my trade in more than anyone else was offering on a car that needed a new engine.

Edit: the second closest dealer wouldn't believe me on the price I was getting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another example of rich getting theirs while others don't have health insurance. Sickening this country finances luxury cars while kids go hungry

Another example of rich getting theirs while others don't have health insurance. Sickening this country finances luxury cars while kids go hungry
Horrible post. Incentivising EVs and making sure kids are insured aren't mutually exclusive. We can, and should do both. 

Horrible post. Incentivising EVs and making sure kids are insured aren't mutually exclusive. We can, and should do both. 
We also need to make sure that we subsidize mortgage interest for McMansions. Without that money, folks couldn't heat and light 4500 square foot homes.   Most model S owners needed the help. 

Maybe incentives on American EVs under $30,000.  You're rich enough you shouldn't need an incentive.  That money could be buying additional child care or school lunches.

What's the resale value of that vehicle? To me you need to straight up look at the price of $31k and say is it worth it?

I haven't researched that car so I don't know. But once the incentives are gone I don't see many people paying $51k for it. 

Let the deal stand on it's own. Don't let the tax savings drive the deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread