What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brave, new browser by Mozilla founder. Brave Rewards now live on ios (1 Viewer)

ren hoek

Footballguy
Brave

https://vimeo.com/209336437

Among other things, it

-runs faster than Chrome on desktop & mobile (allegedly) (edit: confirmed)

-blocks trackers and ads

-will integrate opt-in program that rewards users, publishers and advertisers through ethereum-based blockchain (Basic Attention Token, or BAT)

The Brave Commitment.

How can you trust Brave to maintain your privacy and make revenue?

Privacy

Brave never sees the sites you browse. If you use a search engine such as Google, then anything you type in the search bar will be recorded by Google — but not by Brave servers. 

Money

Brave makes money by taking 5% of any donations and -- after it is fully implemented -- a small cut of advertising that is placed. Brave even shares some revenue with you -- at least as much as we receive.

Trust

It's difficult to do something sneaky when you are an open source company. Anyone can audit what the Brave software code is doing.

Basic Attention Token radically improves the efficiency of digital advertising by creating a new token that can be exchanged between publishers, advertisers, and users. It all happens on the Ethereum blockchain. 

The token can be used to obtain a variety of advertising and attention-based services on the Brave platform. The utility of the token is based on user attention, which simply means a person’s focused mental engagement.  
https://basicattentiontoken.org/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/coindesk-and-brave-software-partner-on-new-content-revenue-model-with-private-micropayments-and-focus-on-user-privacy-300377307.html

To the Batmobile!  http://imgur.com/a/9rtqK

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to give this thing a run for a week or so before I really gave it any sort of review.  It's awesome.  

It's incredibly fast.  It is noticeably snappier and lighter than Chrome on both desktop and mobile.  The time saved by not loading trackers and behemoth ad placements is pretty wild actually.  

It's pretty barebones on the interface, although the functionality is there for power users.  Tabbed browsing, intricate advertising controls and privacy settings are standard.  I do miss a few extensions, like the imgur extension, Better TwitchTV and dark themes for different websites.  It could be that I just haven't figured out how to add them to a Chromium-based browser yet.  

They haven't integrated the BAT token system yet.  It'll be interesting to see how that goes.  

I've abandoned Chrome.  Right now I'd give Brave a solid 9.73/10.  

Wanted to give this thing a run for a week or so before I really gave it any sort of review.  It's awesome.  

It's incredibly fast.  It is noticeably snappier and lighter than Chrome on both desktop and mobile.  The time saved by not loading trackers and behemoth ad placements is pretty wild actually.  

It's pretty barebones on the interface, although the functionality is there for power users.  Tabbed browsing, intricate advertising controls and privacy settings are standard.  I do miss a few extensions, like the imgur extension, Better TwitchTV and dark themes for different websites.  It could be that I just haven't figured out how to add them to a Chromium-based browser yet.  

They haven't integrated the BAT token system yet.  It'll be interesting to see how that goes.  

I've abandoned Chrome.  Right now I'd give Brave a solid 9.73/10.  
I'm also on a week today, but I've been running dual monitors with Chrome on one. For a couple days the fonts were so much better in Chrome I was dismissive of Brave, but the speed and ad/tracker blocking is fantastic. Snappy is the right word. Then there was an update and the fonts seemed better defined so maybe I DLd an older version. Anyway, I'm deeply entrenched in the Goog ecosystem, and have Chrome tweaked for so many personal preferences I don't know. 

Is there a way to drag and drop links (like a setting to turn it on/off) with Brave? That's one thing I was missing when I gave it a test run. 

Is there a way to drag and drop links (like a setting to turn it on/off) with Brave? That's one thing I was missing when I gave it a test run. 
You know, I had the same problem there too.  What you do now is highlight the text, right-click it and then search it, or if it's a link click it with the mousewheel and it spawns a new tab.  I'm still getting used to that.  

I'm also on a week today, but I've been running dual monitors with Chrome on one. For a couple days the fonts were so much better in Chrome I was dismissive of Brave, but the speed and ad/tracker blocking is fantastic. Snappy is the right word. Then there was an update and the fonts seemed better defined so maybe I DLd an older version. Anyway, I'm deeply entrenched in the Goog ecosystem, and have Chrome tweaked for so many personal preferences I don't know. 
I honestly hadn't noticed any difference in fonts.  I must not have a very keen eye for it.  

Agreed on the ecosystem.  It's very hard to wean yourself off one and start from scratch.  I'm not a real big fan of goog/youtube's practices the past few years and plan on withdrawing from their services, although it's easier for me since I only ever used them for search and email.  That and roughly a decade of being a youtube junkie.  Of course, if Google Fiber comes to Louisville next year and there's no comparable alternative, well....

It's definitely much quicker than Safari. 

Cant seem to find how to import bookmarks from Safari on iPhone though. 

Ads are why you get content for free.  Blocking ads is not the solution.
I don't think people mind ads. It's when ads bog down system resources, page load times, lead users to malware and track their every movement across the internet that's the problem.  When you see how much faster Brave is you realize how much dead weight is built in to most common websites.

It isn't out to destroy advertisers and publishers.  If anything it rewards publishers more directly for providing solid content.  I plan to opt in to the Brave payment system and probably allocate 15-20 dollars in BAT to my favorite publishers each month.  I also buy stuff on the internet... I don't mind seeing ads as long as they aren't obtrusive.  

Being able to view your own browsing metrics and decide who gets rewarded for it is a nice change from the current system.  They will probably be announcing major partnerships in the coming weeks.  

If ads didn't bog down computers theyd be fine.  When they get totally obnoxious with popups, popups that keep popping up after you closed them, ads with viruses, voice ads, images that appear right in your face 2 minutes after you loaded the page breaking your train of thought while you read something,etc. then there wouldn't be a problem.

Some websites even offer a free and paid version, and the free version slows your entire computer to a crawl with ads, forcing you to either buy the product or never return.

Stop making obnoxious ads and the ads are fine.

I've been using Brave exclusively on my iphone for about a month now. It claims I've saved 57 seconds of surfing time. Not sure I'm going to get excited about that. ;)

However I enjoy the privacy benefits and I can't think of anything it's not doing for me that Chrome was.

Still haven't made the full transition on my PC. I use Speed Dial 2 launcher in Chrome and it's the pro version so all my links and the same across all my PCs. So it's been pretty hard to break away from my friendly ecosystem. 

You are using "content" pretty loosely. If I access a local government web site for information, I don't expect to get a google sponsored ad or to drop my credit card rate .1%.   If I check for a product on a store web site, I may expect I will get an ad from that store, but from that store only and not the browser.  And if the store puts too many ads in my face I will go to another site.   Some of the pop-ups are malware, viruses, etc..but if google doesn't want to address it then products like Brave and StartPage "pop-up".  

Advertisers and and Ad networks have absolutely lost the benefit of the doubt.  

If I can see that a page or site will reasonably place small some ads that:

• Don't automatically launch audio

• Don't cover half the screen when you're on mobile

• Don't have trick or pretend exit/close options

• I can trust don't distribute malware

• aren't insultingly stupid ("DO YOU WANT THROW A PIE AT THE PRESENTS FACE??!?! LOL")

then I'll gladly whitelist a given site.   until then, they can dry up and die.   And if sites don't demand the same from their ad vendors for their visitors, then I will not watch any of their ads.  And if they block people who use ad blockers, then I just don't return.  

the internet can be pretty great, and it can really suck sometimes.  don't reward the sucky parts.  

If ads didn't bog down computers theyd be fine.  When they get totally obnoxious with popups, popups that keep popping up after you closed them, ads with viruses, voice ads, images that appear right in your face 2 minutes after you loaded the page breaking your train of thought while you read something,etc. then there wouldn't be a problem.

Some websites even offer a free and paid version, and the free version slows your entire computer to a crawl with ads, forcing you to either buy the product or never return.

Stop making obnoxious ads and the ads are fine.
If you don't give the advertisers what they want, then they will just become stronger and eventually start a civil war.

I thought this example was a really good one of what Brave can be.

From a recent AMA with teh Brave founder; 

Q- I've worked in the industry on both the publisher and advertiser side. Conceptually the model is fantastic. Cut out the costly middlemen, better rewards the publisher and the user.

I'm struggling to see how online advertising moves into a permission-based model. Isn't there great risk of a sharp drop in available inventory for both publishers and advertisers? 

How do you see this transition period work? Maybe sites use a hybrid during this time?

TLDR - How do you avoid short-term pain for publishers - who are already struggling massively - as they transition to BAT? Especially if Brave market share as a browser increases faster than people think.

======

A-

bat-brendaneich Admin 10:35 AM

@badgamer5000 I thought about that for over a year before founding Brave, so good q

publishers already face ad blocking cohort of size

e.g. I've heard from CN that Wired and Pitchfork see 30% ad blocker cohort

tempting to try to turn around, as Page Fair, Sourcepoint and others wanted to have a go at a couple years ago: 3/7 is ~43% lift if you can convert all those users

but you can't

many on tech sites use a strong ad/tracking blocker such as uBO (which we admire and collab with where we can)

they don't react well to hostile dialogs to "whitelist, subscribe, or get lost"

every site that tries that loses Alexa share, lol

so the pitch from us to pubishers is: you lost a large and valuable fraction of your readers -- we can win some back to a paying relationship, pure upside

make it a positive sum game

on the ad side, we see such garbage, race to bottom, spray-and-pray deals that we don't worry about getting top brands and agencies doing trials next year; we are warming them up rn

the idea of user-private, low frequence (one a day), long-form/high-CPX video+landing page, personalized ads is strong

the local machine learning users get when they consent to the BAT ads can see everything, 

search queries, Amazon queries and consummations, click logs/tab constellations, absolute above the fold and Z-order visibility and viewability

all together we hope this can notice great opportunities for advertiser and user

e.g. you are shopping for a car, have not quite decided, have tabs open on BMW and Mercedes

you've even set a BMW dealer visit up for 1pm Saturday

Mercedes will pay ~$70 gross for a lead that will take a test drive at their home two hours ahead, 11am Sat

we will give the user 70% = $49 in BAT

this is kind of a best-case and we haven't locked this deal down, so take it as a for-instance

but i'm not worried about getting ad trials, and moving to paying deals as we tune the local machine learning agent

Users who are viewing this thread