What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nate Peterman, QB, BUF (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread on him so I figured that one ought to be started.

Pretty good QB who managed to do what no one else could last year - beat Watson and Clemson.  Seems pretty pro ready.  Can move a bit and use his legs to buy time or scramble for positive yardage.  Solid arm strength.  Pretty good judgment and good in the pocket.

Is this guy the next overlooked starting QB?  Played well enough so far that Cardale Jones was sent packing and has moved up to 2nd string behind a QB that the coaching staff is clearly not in love with.

Scouting reports:

NFL.com

SELECTED BY: Bills

ROUND: 5

PICK (OVERALL): 28 (171)

PICK ANALYSIS:

Buffalo was a candidate to take a quarterback early but opted to take a late round developmental signal-caller instead. Peterman is experienced with pro concepts and has the arm and confidence to attack all levels of the field in inclement weather. --Mark Dulgerian

COMBINE STATS

40 YARD DASH: 4.82 SEC

VERTICAL JUMP: 31.0 INCH

BROAD JUMP: 110.0 INCH

3 CONE DRILL: 7.14 SEC

20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.31 SEC

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

Draft Projection

Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

NFL Comparison

Kirk Cousins

Bottom Line

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

PFF:

Name: Nathan Peterman

School: Pittsburgh

Position fit: Backup QB, starter potential

Stats to know: Had the nation’s No. 2 passer rating when pressured at 114.7.

What he does best: 

Not necessarily a pure/smooth thrower, but possesses a quick release.

Consistent footwork. Plays with a good base in control and throws on balance.

Great understanding of defensive recognition and where to go with the ball with the given passing scheme.

Good ball placement on short/intermediate timing routes.

Anticipates windows in zone very well.

Sees the field clearly. Consistently shows the ability to get through progressions, eliminating a read quickly and moving on to the next with relative ease.

Great overall feel and discipline in the pocket.

Athletic within the pocket and can burst to pick up key third downs with his legs.

Biggest concerns:

Arm is limited.

Doesn’t possess natural power to drive the ball. Needs to coil up to gain zip.

Ball tends to finish low on the receiver the further down the field you get.

Lacks pocket poise at times tending to bail out right when unnecessary.

Feet can get a little frenetic when facing pressure.

Inconsistent decision making outside of the pocket or late in the down at times.

Bottom line: Peterman has seen his stock rise the more people find out about him. He is a very solid, steady player with a limited ceiling – but shows a great understanding of the passing game. His arm is just OK, but with his ability to see the field clearly and work through progressions combined with his natural feel in the pocket, he has a chance to develop into a middle of the road starter. He played in a system with a lot of jet sweep gimmicks, but has experience under center and working full field progressions in both the drop back and play action pass game. Peterman can step in and be a backup on most teams right now, with the hopes there can be tweaks with a few things mechanically and as he gets older to gain more strength in his arm.

BR:

POSITIVES

Originally signed at Tennessee, Peterman transferred to Pittsburgh after failing to land the starting job for the Volunteers. With the Panthers, he started for two seasons in a pro-style, run-heavy offense. Peterman was famously benched after two series against Florida as a true freshman after throwing two interceptions in 11 attempts. Since then, he’s developed into a quick thinker and tough player. Peterman has an NFL arm, understands touch and timing and can adjust his velocity for the moment. His eyes as a passer are very good, and he’s able to work to second and third progressions. He’s athletic enough to move around the pocket and shows the athleticism to make passes to intermediate and deep areas from the go. Peterman is ready to play in the NFL right now thanks to his vision, arm strength and accuracy on intermediate and deep balls. 

NEGATIVES

Peterman completed just over 60 percent of his passes in the last two seasons. Accuracy normally doesn’t get better in the NFL once you face faster defenders. Mechanically, Peterman’s legs get him into trouble. He’s very inconsistent as a strider and often throws without his base under him. Arm strength questions mostly come from Peterman not driving the ball with his hips and stepping into throws. Mixing that should eliminate some of the floaters he throws over the middle of the field. There are games (Clemson) when Peterman looks like a future NFL starter, but there are also stretches where his spot accuracy and touch simply aren’t good. He’s a project but could very well start early in his career.

PRO COMPARISON: Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots

FINAL GRADE: 6.45/9.00 (Round 3—Future Starter)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
We've discussed him a little bit here, good deep flier. I've grabbed him in my dynasty.  

@Biabreakable mentions his play in the preseason game vs Minnesota, https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/758353-vikings-vs-bills-preseason-week-one/?page=2#comment-20328008 while I didn't see the game, Bia's comments indicate Peterman played well.

I don't think he starts over Taylor just yet but the situation is worth monitoring and TT isn't the long term answer imo.

Yeah, I've discussed him in a few places too, but it seems like he is gaining some very credible momentum.  I don't see him as a starter this year barring an injury to TT or if the Bills season just goes into the toilet fast and stays there, but there is some long term appeal on a guy who went late in early FF dynasty drafts already this year.

He actually hasn't looked very good this preseason. I know that there is some minor love for him in the FF community, but he looks more likely to be a career backup to me. Obviously too early to say conclusively, but I doubt he's any kind of long-term answer for the Bills. I think if you're in a 2QB or superflex league, by all means he's ownable as he may get a few starts this year. The Bills are stockpiling picks that they could use on a QB in next year's draft though.

Bills coach Sean McDermott said fifth-round QB Nathan Peterman is "ready" to start.

"We're confident in Nathan," the coach continued. Despite a turbulent camp, Tyrod Taylor will still be the starter when healthy, but McDermott said his Week 1 status is "up in the air" as he attempts to come back from a concussion. That could force the rookie into a start against the Jets. No matter who is under center, Buffalo should ride the wheels off LeSean McCoy.

Source: Vic Carucci on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 9:59 AM

We've discussed him a little bit here, good deep flier. I've grabbed him in my dynasty.  

@Biabreakable mentions his play in the preseason game vs Minnesota, https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/758353-vikings-vs-bills-preseason-week-one/?page=2#comment-20328008 while I didn't see the game, Bia's comments indicate Peterman played well.

I don't think he starts over Taylor just yet but the situation is worth monitoring and TT isn't the long term answer imo.

Yeah, I've discussed him in a few places too, but it seems like he is gaining some very credible momentum.  I don't see him as a starter this year barring an injury to TT or if the Bills season just goes into the toilet fast and stays there, but there is some long term appeal on a guy who went late in early FF dynasty drafts already this year.
:towelwave:

Figures there was already a thread.
Link?  I mean Ive seen some posts too... However at least your (OP) post pretty much cements the premise of true potential for good points. Even if the Dude practically screams game manager in the write-up, its not a bad thing considering most offensive lines. A great short to intermediate game is a winning combo. 60% completion ratio tells me he's willing to trust his receivers. I personally don't have a "real" take. But, I know a Bills fan who as I stated in another thread, was calling for Peterman from the start. Basically a friend of mine says it once, they may as well have said "Draft a real QB, next Season"  Say it a few Times, and I'm checking the wire Brother...

He's already reached Thad Lewis' career INT total, and is only 2 away from Brian Brohm's mark.  All in one game, this kid is gold!

Aw come on, guys, you have no heart!

Let the kid go for Favre's record...it may be the only thing he can stake his claim to when his career is over.

I feel bad for the guy to flame out in such spectacular fashion, but it was a curious move to put him out there. I was a bit baffled by Bills fans who said he looked good/poised in the pre-season and that he was some kind of answer - he didn't look ready against second and third stringers then and he definitely wasn't ready today. No sleeper potential here - just a 5th round pick for a reason, who got some hype because of a couple of outlier performances in college against highly ranked teams. 

I feel bad for the guy to flame out in such spectacular fashion, but it was a curious move to put him out there. I was a bit baffled by Bills fans who said he looked good/poised in the pre-season and that he was some kind of answer - he didn't look ready against second and third stringers then and he definitely wasn't ready today.
People are easily fooled by preseason stats and coachspeak.

I feel bad for the guy to flame out in such spectacular fashion, but it was a curious move to put him out there. I was a bit baffled by Bills fans who said he looked good/poised in the pre-season and that he was some kind of answer - he didn't look ready against second and third stringers then and he definitely wasn't ready today. No sleeper potential here - just a 5th round pick for a reason, who got some hype because of a couple of outlier performances in college against highly ranked teams. 
on it's face the move made no sense, 5th round rookie, cross country road game, against an excellent pass rush. that's a horrific coaching decision

Biabreakable said:
Well I guess this is a good example of why preseason performance doesn't mean a whole lot.
It's more the opposite - he didn't look very good in preseason either.

I did not watch the game but I watched Peterman's highlights or lowlights if you prefer.  By all the talk on social media, I was expecting the worst QBing in modern history.  The 5th interception was all on him but the other 4 were on the team.  He hits Dimarco in the numbers and the ball gets served up for the first int.  Next 3 he gets hit as he steps into his throw and short arms all three.  I am just saying I have seen worse.  It is hard to lay all the blame on him when he lost his primary receivers and had terrible protection in that game.

Users who are viewing this thread