What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antifa: Left Wing Militants on the Rise (1 Viewer)

They may also push for making it illegal to wear a mask to a public protest. 
Absolutely.

Dont see why a "protest" would have to be involved though. No need for someone to walk into a public school or a private business wearing a mask, unless its a medical issue.

Glad to see the Portland police chief condemn Antifa.  They may also push for making it illegal to wear a mask to a public protest. 
Portland Police Chief calls for anti-mask law

It sounds like she is only calling for a ban on wearing a mask while committing a crime. It wouldn't affect people who conceal their face during a legal protest.
We have an anti mask law here in Denmark and it hasn't really made a difference. People just tend to don the mask just before they do idiotic stuff, like violence, throwing rocks etc. Obvioulsy, they sometimes get caught on surveillance cameras filming the protest so they go to the clink anyway, but not sure it has had an appreciable impact.

But I must admit I support the law, anyway, on the principle that if you are protesting something or counter protesting as it may be, you should really stand by your words and actions

Dont see why a "protest" would have to be involved though. No need for someone to walk into a public school or a private business wearing a mask, unless its a medical issue.
When will the religious right’s War on Halloween end?

I can’t wait for the Yang administration, when we will finally be allowed to say “Trick or Treat” - those beautiful words - again!

For the record what I said comes down to this...

If I repeatedly go stand amidst and walk with violent groups, I shouldn't be surprised and then whine when I repeatedly get caught up in the violence.
Sort of like when I was a kid and moms would tell their sons not to hang with me.  <_<

I mean SOMEBODY needed to teach them to drink, smoke, gamble, fight and bang.  You would think they would have been grateful.  

Seattle Antifascist Action both praised the attacker — Willem Van Spronsen — as a "martyr" and urged others to follow in his footsteps with "direct action."

The group wrote on Facebook:

When our good friend and comrade Willem Van Spronsen took a stand against the fascist detention center in Tacoma, he became a martyr who gave his life to the struggle against fascism. He was kind and deeply loved by many communities; we cannot let his death go unanswered.

Throughout history we idolize figures like John Brown for their courage to take the ultimate stand against oppression, and today we stand strong in our support for yet another martyr in the struggle against fascism. May his death serve as a call to protest and direct action.

As TheBlaze reported Saturday, Van Spronsen went to the ICE facility about 4 a.m. in Tacoma armed with a rifle and several improvised explosives, such as molotov cocktails, angered by a "factually inaccurate portrayal" of the facility.

Van Spronsen reportedly threw his incendiary devices at the building, as well as at several vehicles in a parking lot, setting them ablaze. He also reportedly attempted to ignited a propane tank.
This just can't be real

Maybe I missed it. Is the perp in this incident actually associated with antifa? Or are they just glorifying his actions?

Regardless of the answer, what this guy did was vile and he will not be missed. No excuse for this in the name of any ideology. 

Also, as a (pretty) liberal guy, I can meaningfully say, f--- Antifa. I want no part of the broad associations that come with their actions.

Maybe I missed it. Is the perp in this incident actually associated with antifa? Or are they just glorifying his actions?

Regardless of the answer, what this guy did was vile and he will not be missed. No excuse for this in the name of any ideology. 

Also, as a (pretty) liberal guy, I can meaningfully say, f--- Antifa. I want no part of the broad associations that come with their actions.
Exactly...needs no qualifications...its wrong and F them.

Yes and no. He stated that he was anti-fascist but not affiliated with any organization.

The guy self-identified as Antifa and was active in many far-left communities. So pretty much a member.  Left a manifesto which detailed his motivation to "take action against the forces of evil," specifically fascism and "concentration camps."

LINK

The guy self-identified as Antifa and was active in many far-left communities. So pretty much a member.  Left a manifesto which detailed his motivation to "take action against the forces of evil," specifically fascism and "concentration camps."

LINK
News seems to be commonly referring to him as Antifa.  Apparently he wrote about his involvement in his manifesto.

He also bombed a “concentration camp” with an indoor soccer field, a library, recreation facilities, etc.  What an idiot.

News seems to be commonly referring to him as Antifa.  Apparently he wrote about his involvement in his manifesto.

He also bombed a “concentration camp” with an indoor soccer field, a library, recreation facilities, etc.  What an idiot.
More like a summer camp really. We should charge a fee. 

Actually it's Twitter and its from May 2019. Outrage machine is a little slow here....
No, it’s CNN.

W. Kamau Bell hosts a CNN show.  In May 2019 Bell’s CNN show praised the organization that produced a domestic terrorist in July 2019.  That organization which Bell referred to as “good” refused to denounce the domestic terrorist’s actions.  Bell’s Tweet is to encourage support for his CNN show and the organization.

That really wan’t difficult to follow.

If in May 2019 Fox News did a glowing show on an organization that produced a domestic terrorist two months later, and that organization refused to denounce the terrorism people would most certainly be calling into question Fox News’ judgment. It’s OK to do the same for CNN.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it’s CNN.

W. Kamau Bell hosts a CNN show.  In May 2019 Bell’s CNN show praised the organization that produced a domestic terrorist in July 2019.  That organization which Bell referred to as “good” refused to denounce the domestic terrorist’s actions.  Bell’s Tweet is to encourage support for his CNN show and the organization.

That really wan’t difficult to follow.

If in May 2019 Fox News did a glowing show on an organization that produced a domestic terrorist two months later, and that organization refused to denounce the terrorism people would most certainly be calling into question Fox News’ judgment. It’s OK to do the same for CNN.
Bell, among other things, hosts a show on CNN. The post - dated May 2019 - calls attention to the antifa organization and asks folks to support it. CNN didn't post the tweet but rather Bell did. I don't have an issue per se with you going after Bell here - though it seems hard to ding him for broadly asking for support of the group two months before this incident - but instead with CNN. It seems, well, misplaced. You want to try to discredit Bell over this? That's your choice here. You want to beg CNN to cancel his show even? That's your choice again. But thinking CNN is somehow culpable here? Spare me. 

CNN or FoxNews or MSNBC do not need to "denounce" fringe groups that were once supported by any of its employees. They're news companies, not politicians.

That said, CNN should cut ties with Bell if he refuses to disavow the Tacoma attacker or any groups that openly support what he did.

Bell, among other things, hosts a show on CNN. The post - dated May 2019 - calls attention to the antifa organization and asks folks to support it. CNN didn't post the tweet but rather Bell did. I don't have an issue per se with you going after Bell here - though it seems hard to ding him for broadly asking for support of the group two months before this incident - but instead with CNN. It seems, well, misplaced. You want to try to discredit Bell over this? That's your choice here. You want to beg CNN to cancel his show even? That's your choice again. But thinking CNN is somehow culpable here? Spare me. 
As long as you’re consistent with your logic that’s it’s fair to criticize Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, or Laura Ingraham for anything they say on their show, but it’s unfair to hold Fox News accountable for the content they put on their channel then I’m fine with your position. 

I know that’s not how most people treat TV news stations in general, and Fox News in particular.  You know that too.

On a side note, this seems like a good place to give a shout out to  my buddy who is becoming a fairly regular pundit on The Ingraham Angle. Great guy.

As long as you’re consistent with your logic that’s it’s fair to criticize Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, or Laura Ingraham for anything they say on their show, but it’s unfair to hold Fox News accountable for the content they put on their channel then I’m fine with your position. 

I know that’s not how most people treat TV news stations in general, and Fox News in particular.  You know that too.
I think it's two separate things really. Bell's plug for the group in May - again, two months before a former member of the group violently attacked the facility - seems like a reach but it'd be nice if he - or CNN for that matter - sought to clarify their position based on recent events. By contrast,  Hannity, Ingraham, Carlson, et al are on 5 days a week usually with their manufactured outrage shtick. For example, Carlson didn't give a crap about Bell and his two month old tweet about supporting JBGC until this attack. Tucker likes his outrage and inflammatory comments/analysis on a daily basis and, in this instance, seems like he's indulging in some gleeful score-settling more than anything. Fox doesn't do anything to chastise him ever and activists like Sleeping Giants are compelled to do something. There seems to be quite a bit of difference between what Bell did here and, say, what the Fox nightly outage machine does but you - and Tucker - are not interested in seeing it.

There seems to be quite a bit of difference between what Bell did here and, say, what the Fox nightly outage machine does but you - and Tucker - are not interested in seeing it.
Correct, there is quite a difference. Neither Tucker nor the rest of what you call “the Fox nightly outrage machine” have glowingly promoted an organization that produced a domestic terrorist.  An organization that refused to denounce the terrorist action.  And we know that Fox News hasn’t done that because people like yourself would have made a big deal out of that had it happened.

You’re obviously not interested in admitting that, and, quite frankly, I’m more interested in pounding some beer and then pounding my wife (in the good way) so we’ll have to agree to disagree and end this pointless back-and-forth in favor of that more enjoyable back-and-forth I just alluded to.

There seems to be quite a bit of difference between what Bell did here and, say, what the Fox nightly outage machine does but you - and Tucker - are not interested in seeing it.
Correct, there is quite a difference. Neither Tucker nor the rest of what you call “the Fox nightly outrage machine” have glowingly promoted an organization that produced a domestic terrorist.
Easy on the hyperbole.

It would be better if people would not pick out the craziest and most violent members of the other tribe and use them as stand-ins for everybody else. This guy was obviously a nut who it sounds likely committed suicide by cop.  He is not representative of all intersectional leftists or self-described anti-fascists.  We are always going to be able to find crazy people on the both extremes.  We should stop exaggerating their relevance.

It would be better if people would not pick out the craziest and most violent members of the other tribe and use them as stand-ins for everybody else. This guy was obviously a nut who it sounds like committed suicide by cop.  He is not representative of all intersectional leftists or self-described anti-fascists.  We are always going to be able to find crazy people on the both extremes.  We should stop exaggerating their relevance.
I agree. The thing that bothers me about the recent buzzfeed report is the last sentence. 

"He gave up his life for this, and we certainly hope this marks a turning point in the movement," the antifa organizer said.

I hope this isnt as ominous as it sounds.

It's hyperbole to assume that the antifa group produced the suspect.
LOL.  Are we really going to do the semantics game of “produced” vs. “was a member of”?  

OK, I’ll concede that I can’t state the John Brown Gun Club of Tacoma “produced” the attacker, but him being a member of that group is not in dispute when the group openly and unapologetically admits it.

Not sure why I concede anything  on these boards when it’s so seldom reciprocated; but, oh well, I’m bound by my honesty.

This guy was obviously a nut who it sounds like committed suicide by cop.  He is not representative of all intersectional leftists or self-described anti-fascists.  
Agreed, which is specifically why I haven’t said the guy is representative of all intersectional Leftists or self-described anti-fascists.  Instead I only suggested that he may be representative of one very specific organization (the John Brown Gun Club of Tacoma).  The fact that group won’t repudiate a member’s actions so as to distance themselves from them could certainly lead a reasonable person to presume that group tacitly approves those actions.  

Anyway, now seriously off to that pounding.

Gary Coal Man said:
Correct, there is quite a difference. Neither Tucker nor the rest of what you call “the Fox nightly outrage machine” have glowingly promoted an organization that produced a domestic terrorist.  An organization that refused to denounce the terrorist action.  And we know that Fox News hasn’t done that because people like yourself would have made a big deal out of that had it happened.

You’re obviously not interested in admitting that, and, quite frankly, I’m more interested in pounding some beer and then pounding my wife (in the good way) so we’ll have to agree to disagree and end this pointless back-and-forth in favor of that more enjoyable back-and-forth I just alluded to.
I'm not sure about that. Cesar Sayoc, the mail bomber from just last year, is a pretty good example of Fox producing a domestic terrorist. Both seem equally unhinged too. 

Bell simultaneously plugged his show and the JBGC two months before this attack. JBGC probably shouldn't celebrate Spronsen here but that's on them. Bell and CNN aren't celebrating Spronsen - especially 2 months before anyone heard of him - but whatever. It just seems like a reach given the timeline here and the tenuous connection between Bell/CNN and this incident.

I saw an Antifa guy at the show I went to tonight. It was a punk show by a band that is pretty liberal and Californian, so I was hardly surprised. The guy had a button that read "sometimes anti-social. always anti-fascist." I would have checked his other paraphernalia, but why bother? Made me think of the board here.

rockaction said:
I saw an Antifa guy at the show I went to tonight. It was a punk show by a band that is pretty liberal and Californian, so I was hardly surprised. The guy had a button that read "sometimes anti-social. always anti-fascist." I would have checked his other paraphernalia, but why bother? Made me think of the board here.
I would never wear buttons but I am also always anti-fascist. 

rockaction said:
Pennywise?

Users who are viewing this thread