What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor parking in front of my house- etiquette breach or am I a jerk? (1 Viewer)

Who is in the right?

• I should have kept my mouth shut and kept walking

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Park in front of your own damn house!

Votes: 92 66.7%

• Total voters

Ned Ryerson

Footballguy
I live in a house with a 2 car garage that has a bunch of stuff in it, and a have a driveway that technically fits two cars, but you can't open the doors for the passenger side and the driver's side in the middle if two cars are in it.  As a result, my wife parks her car in the driveway and I park in front of our house.

As I am coming home last night driving down my street, I notice a car slowing down to a crawl, and pulling right in front of my house, so I go to the other side of the driveway and park on property line between my house and another neighbor's house.

I look to see who is getting out of the car and I notice that it is my neighbor on the other side, in a rental car.  I further note that his driveway is empty and the spot in front of his house is empty.  

Background, this guy did the same thing several months ago for two weeks straight, and I didn't say anything, but it annoyed me.  He's a crotchety, get offa' my lawn 70+ year old guy.  Also several years ago I stayed overnight at a friend's house after a big snowstorm, we came home to being plowed in with 18 inches of snow, and us having a 2 year old in the car.  I asked if we could park in front of his driveway while I shoveled out for a bit and brought my family inside, as he was already shoveled out.  He said "I'm expecting my daughter to be here, and we'd like our driveway clear."  (I note that during my observation while shoveling/snow blowing, said daughter never appeared.)  So suffice it to say, the guy's been on my S list for some time.

So I ask him "Hey Marty, can you park in front of your own house"  He says " I am in front of my house".  I say "No, here's the property line, and the entire front of your house is empty.  Could you explain to me why you do not want to park in front of your own house?" He looks at me as if he doesn't understand the question, and says "its a public street".  I agree and say "Fair enough, i'm just trying to understand why you want to park in front of my house instead of your own house".  At this point, his wife intervenes, and we agree that they will keep it in the same spot for the night, but that going forward he will park in front of his own house.

I think that nobody exactly covered themselves in glory here, but who's in the right here?

Just because you can park in front of your neighbor's house doesn't mean you should. Sometimes our neighbors have parties and they need more space, which is no big deal.

Park in front of his house.

My new neighbors across the street did this.   They have plenty of room to fit 2 cars in their driveway but only park one. He started parking in front of my house.

So I just started parking in front of his.   Even after I asked to him not too because my son usually parks there plus i have a bball hoop (that the neighbors use)

This is the only thing that has gotten under my skin with really no rationale.  

ETA:  He is a complete moron ftr.   I bet he's some type of engineer....

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's not blocking anything (or messing with your lawn), you're a jerk.

Well, you asked...
I'm not offended.  I asked the question.  Seems as if you are in the minority, but I felt a bit guilty after the fact.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not offended.  I asked the question.  Seems as if you are in the minority, but I felt a bit guilty after the fact.  
Well, you can always park in front of his house. In fact right in front of the path leading from his house to his parked car....

At my old house, my neighbor used to park his RV in front of our house at times.

The thing would show up on Wed afternoon so he could prep it for whatever weekend adventure he was going on. He'd leave Friday morning then show back up Sunday night, leaving it there until Monday when he was done cleaning it out.

Why would he park it in front of my house? Because he worked the city into getting handicap parking signs in front of his house for his wife, who was quite capable of walking wherever, but the amount of cars that parked on our street was ridiculous, so he wanted to make sure he saved a spot. Since the RV didn't have any handicap tags on it, he couldn't park it in front of his place because they'd ticket it.

I live near a train station, so like many areas of Chicago, nearby streets are permit-only. But MY street is not permit only. I don't mind commuters parking in front of my house—they're usually gone early evening and I have a garage so I don't park on the street very often anyway. But some of the people who live on neighboring permit streets "store" their cars on my block so they don't have to get permits. My neighbors and I are constantly making reports for abandoned vehicles (you must move your car after 7 days or it will be declared "abandoned" and marked for towing). Probably a #### move on our part, but it's annoying when your nice side street is treated like a long-storage parking lot by cheap neighbors. I'm a total hypocrite on this, because when I was younger I'd store my car on a rare non-permit/non-metered street in Lincoln Park. Actually got #####ed out by a guy who lived there who was sick of my car being in front of his house. But now I'M the old man.

This type of parking etiquette (or lack thereof) exhibited by your neighbor is a huge pet peeve of mine as well.

Not sure if this solution has been proposed (knowing this forum it probably has) but you should most definitely sleep with his wife.    If your car.   Parked in front of his house. 

I used to live on a corner lot and my next door neighbor would park his 25yo rusty truck on the side of my house and it wouldn't move for days/weeks. I had a lot of windows on that side of the house and it was a sore sight. 

I tried talking to him about it a couple of times, and he would temporarily stop/move it, but it would always show back up shortly after. 

I ended up letting the air out of two of his tires and called the county to report an abandoned vehicle. They came out and put a notice on his truck, a ticket 3-5 days later and then finally towed it. 

He never parked there again. 

This family was also also a bunch of hoarders. They had a 2 car garage, but you couldn't put another box in there. Besides the truck on the side of my house, they kept their minivan in the driveway and their other car parked half in front of their yard and the other half in front of mine (plenty of room to have parked it all in front of his). 

#### that guy

You can't make him stop parking in front of your house. Some people are idiots.

Also, your neighbor's car would bother you less if you were parking on your own property. Seriously, widen your driveway and/or clean out your garage.

You are mad he parked in a public space but he's the get off my lawner?

I recently moved and had to park in front of neighbors for a few days while we packed up the house. The old man two doors down taped a big sign on my windshield that said "don't park in front of my house ever AGAIN." I've been shoveling his walk for the last 5 years, so it was super lame, bit I think the guy is losing his mind.

Anyway, just be a chill neighbor and roll with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread