What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore: Update: Roy is running again! (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
Roy Moore might actually win the most votes today because the other two guys, Strange and Brooks, both of whom are avowed Tea Party types, are regarded as "too liberal". 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump is endorsing Strange, but Strange is the guy McConnell prefers, which is apparently for conservatives the kiss of death. 

Mitch McConnell, who is the leader of the GOP in the Senate, is the most hated man in Washington DC right now by conservative voters. This is where we are as a country. 

On the Democratic side some guy named Bobby Kennedy is the favorite even though nobody has ever heard of him and he apparently doesn't even really live in Alabama.  People just think he's a Kennedy even though he's black.   Alabama voters on both sides of the aisle have some issues.

and they do not even realize its pronounced like the french guy said bobby in taladega nights which is odd because if you think about it if any electorate is going to know taladega nights by heart it is going to be alabama take that to the bank bromigos 

On the Democratic side some guy named Bobby Kennedy is the favorite even though nobody has ever heard of him and he apparently doesn't even really live in Alabama.  People just think he's a Kennedy even though he's black.   Alabama voters on both sides of the aisle have some issues.
Democrats should have gone full Distinguished Gentleman and found someone with the name Jeff Sessions.

Roy Moore might actually win the most votes today because the other two guys, Strange and Brooks, both of whom are avowed Tea Party types, are regarded as "too liberal". 
This isn't the correct analysis.  What has happened here is that Strange got a shot of about 3M from McConnell and he's been running constant attack ads against Brooks.  Brooks, if he makes the runoff, is much, much more likely to win, so he's the target here.  The negative ads are having an effect and his numbers have been hurting.  Strange isn't that popular and both candidates are running attack ads against him, so he's also drooping a bit.  That leaves Moore, who has been left alone for the most part - he has so many natural negatives he's the guy in Survivor you want to take to the final vote.  Of course, he's also easily the worst candidate of the three; I really don't like the guy at all and don't see why he's in public service.  Money talks, though, and has shaped this election greatly.  

So now it's a dogfight between Strange and Brooks for the second spot.  At least going in it looked like Strange had a small lead.  Again, a shame, as he's a weasel.  Brooks is easily the best of the three and I hope he squeaks in.

Whomever Alabama voters elect we can rest assured that he will be horrible because Alabama voters.
This will be a very low turnout election, and to be honest no matter who gets into the runoff on the R side you will think they're death incarnate.

This isn't the correct analysis.  What has happened here is that Strange got a shot of about 3M from McConnell and he's been running constant attack ads against Brooks.  Brooks, if he makes the runoff, is much, much more likely to win, so he's the target here.  The negative ads are having an effect and his numbers have been hurting.  Strange isn't that popular and both candidates are running attack ads against him, so he's also drooping a bit.  That leaves Moore, who has been left alone for the most part - he has so many natural negatives he's the guy in Survivor you want to take to the final vote.  Of course, he's also easily the worst candidate of the three; I really don't like the guy at all and don't see why he's in public service.  Money talks, though, and has shaped this election greatly.  

So now it's a dogfight between Strange and Brooks for the second spot.  At least going in it looked like Strange had a small lead.  Again, a shame, as he's a weasel.  Brooks is easily the best of the three and I hope he squeaks in.

This will be a very low turnout election, and to be honest no matter who gets into the runoff on the R side you will think they're death incarnate.
I thought I heard on the radio the other day, though, that if Moore gets 50% of the vote today, he won't have to go to a runoff. He will win the nomination. True?

Brooks is a pretty standup guy.  The other two are trash.  Pretty simple synopsis and the reason why millions have been spent trashing Brooks.
Anti-choice, anti-science, anti-taxes, and really wants to screw people over on the health care front. I guess that passes for stand up in the GOP these days.

Anti-choice, anti-science, anti-taxes, and really wants to screw people over on the health care front. I guess that passes for stand up in the GOP these days.
I'll give this to you, you're good for a nice laugh at the end of the day.   :thumbup:

I thought I heard on the radio the other day, though, that if Moore gets 50% of the vote today, he won't have to go to a runoff. He will win the nomination. True?
Yes, though that's pretty unlikely.  It would be the ultimate irony for Strange, who has spent every penny bashing the other guy.

Are you in Mobile or somethin'?

Where did I get the idea that Mo Brooks was maybe somewhat reasonably decent? Am I wrong on that?
I'm in Birmingham.  No, Mo is a pretty good guy.  Luther's appointment to the Senate stinks to high heaven.  Moore is an abomination.  Been elected twice and thrown out of office twice.

Moore was the Alabama judge who refused to remove the Ten Commandments statue from his courtroom, despite several court orders. Removed for contempt. Then re-elected.

He puts the FUN in fundamentalist......if elected, he will make Cruz look like a joy to work with in comparison....

Good morning. 

It seems to me that despite some of the excuses that have been made in this thread, (it's only a runoff, Brooks and Strange spent all their time attacking each other, etc.), there's something wrong with this country when a guy like Roy Moore can lead in voting for a US Senate seat at any time ever. I don't want to apply stereotypes to southern Republican voters, but given this result, what are we to conclude? If they are not extremist, ignorant, and bigoted, then why are they voting for an extremist, ignorant, and bigoted candidate? 

Good morning. 

It seems to me that despite some of the excuses that have been made in this thread, (it's only a runoff, Brooks and Strange spent all their time attacking each other, etc.), there's something wrong with this country when a guy like Roy Moore can lead in voting for a US Senate seat at any time ever. I don't want to apply stereotypes to southern Republican voters, but given this result, what are we to conclude? If they are not extremist, ignorant, and bigoted, then why are they voting for an extremist, ignorant, and bigoted candidate? 
Wallace was governor for 16 years and carried Alabama in the 1968 presidential election. These voters are the children and grandchildren of Wallace voters, so it doesn't  surprise me.

Wallace was governor for 16 years and carried Alabama in the 1968 presidential election. These voters are the children and grandchildren of Wallace voters, so it doesn't  surprise me.
We've been told, for decades now, that the Alabama of Wallace was a thing of the past, long gone. 

timschochet said:
We've been told, for decades now, that the Alabama of Wallace was a thing of the past, long gone. 
I think Wallace would criticize Trump if he were alive today. Before his last term as governor,  referring to his stand in front of the schoolhouse door, from wiki: "I was wrong. Those days are over, and they ought to be over." But, Obama's worst showing among white voters was in Alabama. I think Roy Moore is more bible belt populist than racist dog whistler.

I can see Moore taking this in a squeaker. Strange has a lot of baggage - Bentley and his smelly ascension to the job and McConnell's backing. Brooks hinted at staying away from Strange with his comments that Moore ran an honorable campaign. The Brooks backers that are against Trump(and pissed about the Trump endorsement) may go enough to Moore to get him a slight win. Moore has the high moral ground to attack Strange as well - so negative ads are going to be hard to produce and stick against Moore. But Strange is really vulnerable to attacks of being in the "club".

Sand I didn't insult you in any way, nor call you names (like jackass). In any case, no personal insult was intended. 

But I disagree with you, strongly. A person votes for a Roy Moore not for religious reasons but because he tried to enforce his religious reasons on others. As far as his bigotry is concerned, he ordered his officials to refuse to issue gay marriage licenses in defiance of federal law. And yes, those people who vote for Roy Moore, knowing who he is, are extremist or bigoted. If they don't know who he is, they are ignorant. I can't think of another option. 

By the way, I did ask similar questions about Marion Barry (not here though.) I ask them all the time about Maxine Waters in my area, who is a disgrace. But congress is one thing; senator is much more significant. 
You made me out to be a Moore apologist, which I'm most definitely not.  

Chances are, though, that money will swamp Moore and we'll see Strange in office.  So a nice, comfy insider in the Senate.  I don't like him much at all, but he's a good bit better than Moore.

Strange has a lot of baggage 
Well, he was appointed by a governor he was investigating, in which said governor was forced to resign at the end of that investigation (he was going to be impeached otherwise). 

So, yeah, I'd say he has a bit of baggage.  :P

I'm not naive - I know this won't matter at all to Alabama voters. But c'mon, man. How can it not?

The front-runner in Alabama's Republican Senate primary, Roy Moore, said he did not know what the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is during a July 11 radio interview.

"Would you support an end to the 'Dreamer' program that President Trump has still continued to push?" Jackson asked, using the term often applied to DACA recipients.

"Pardon? The Dreamer program?" Moore asked, sounding puzzled.

"Yes, sir. The DACA. You're not aware of what Dreamers are?" Jackson responded. 

"No," Moore replied.

"This is a big issue in the immigration debate. Dreamers are—," Jackson began to say before being cut off by Moore, who said, "Why don't you tell me what it is, Dale, and quit beating around and tell me what it is."

When asked if he would support the end of that program after the host explained DACA to him, Moore said, "I would look at that program. I surely would.

Users who are viewing this thread