What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore: Update: Roy is running again! (1 Viewer)

This is just ... unreal to me. Link.

Former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore received a boost in his Senate campaign as House Freedom Caucus Chairman Rep. Mark Meadowsannounced his endorsement.

--

So Roy Moore is going to win this election and be a ####### US Senator. Its difficult to fathom that. 

I think I need to expand my sphere of people I know. Because I know and am friends with plenty of Republicans. But I don't think I know any that would support Roy ####### Moore. 

So who are they? How does he win elections?

This is just ... unreal to me. Link.

Former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore received a boost in his Senate campaign as House Freedom Caucus Chairman Rep. Mark Meadowsannounced his endorsement.

--

So Roy Moore is going to win this election and be a ####### US Senator. Its difficult to fathom that. 

I think I need to expand my sphere of people I know. Because I know and am friends with plenty of Republicans. But I don't think I know any that would support Roy ####### Moore. 

So who are they? How does he win elections?
Have you considered the possibility that the GOPers you know are the exceptions and the Roy Moore voters are the majority?

Whenever I hear that, the first thing I think of is Mike Price and a couple of really ugly hookers.
It can't be disputed that the center of the college football universe is in AL.  

The other big positive is that our politics are this much better than Louisiana's.

There's no hope for certain parts of the country (ie Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, NC/SC, Texas, Louisiana, etc). 

They agree with the religious whack jobs they put in office. Nothing will change their mind. 

Theres a reason the south will remain economically destitute with poor education and infrastructure. The people do not want change. 

There's no hope for certain parts of the country (ie Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, NC/SC, Texas, Louisiana, etc). 

They agree with the religious whack jobs they put in office. Nothing will change their mind. 

Theres a reason the south will remain economically destitute with poor education and infrastructure. The people do not want change. 
That's just way over stating it. Nashville and Texas cities are booming and have been for a while. 

I grew up in Detroit and have a soft spot for it. But compare the problems it and some other rust belt cities have with the growth and prosperity of a lot of southern cities. There's no comparison.

That's just way over stating it. Nashville and Texas cities are booming and have been for a while. 

I grew up in Detroit and have a soft spot for it. But compare the problems it and some other rust belt cities have with the growth and prosperity of a lot of southern cities. There's no comparison.
I would say it's actually more damning that states like Tennessee and Texas rank as poorly as they do by most measures of quality of education, considering their thriving urban areas. The new economy has given them a gift and they're crapping it away. Based on a two minute google search it looks like Michigan beats both of them on most measures despite the drag of Detroit and the absence of places like Nashville and Austin.

I would say it's actually more damning that states like Tennessee and Texas rank as poorly as they do by most measures of quality of education, considering their thriving urban areas. The new economy has given them a gift and they're crapping it away. Based on a two minute google search it looks like Michigan beats both of them on most measures despite the drag of Detroit and the absence of places like Nashville and Austin.
I do not want to defend Texas (for example) politics. I live here and see the idiocy of it. People like Dan Patrick (our Lt. Gov.) are a ####### nightmare and you are right - they are squandering things like education. My only point was this statement - "Theres a reason the south will remain economically destitute with poor education and infrastructure," was way overstating it. Texas is not economically destitute and Dallas and Houston have very good infrastructure. 

Basically his point was just overstating it. He was taking examples from rural areas in Mississippi and Alabama and applying it all over the south and Texas.

I do not want to defend Texas (for example) politics. I live here and see the idiocy of it. People like Dan Patrick (our Lt. Gov.) are a ####### nightmare and you are right - they are squandering things like education. My only point was this statement - "Theres a reason the south will remain economically destitute with poor education and infrastructure," was way overstating it. Texas is not economically destitute and Dallas and Houston have very good infrastructure. 

Basically his point was just overstating it. He was taking examples from rural areas in Mississippi and Alabama and applying it all over the south and Texas.
Fair enough.  Let's get back to crapping on Alabama for Roy Moore. Presumably we can all agree that is well-deserved. Even the Trump supporters would presumably follow Dear Leader's request that they support Luther Strange.

SEven the Trump supporters would presumably follow Dear Leader's request that they support Luther Strange.
Except they're not. Bannon is strongly for Moore, and has Breitbart people knocking on doors in Alabama trying to get out the vote. 

Bannon believes that if Moore wins it will unleash the populist wave of like-minded candidates against GOP establishment figures all over the country: get ready for Kid Rock and all the rest! This is Bannon's dream. 

Except they're not. Bannon is strongly for Moore, and has Breitbart people knocking on doors in Alabama trying to get out the vote. 

Bannon believes that if Moore wins it will unleash the populist wave of like-minded candidates against GOP establishment figures all over the country: get ready for Kid Rock and all the rest! This is Bannon's dream. 
After 2016 it's important that we not overestimate the intelligence of the American voter.  Still, I'm pretty comfortable saying that we are not Alabama.

timschochet said:
Moore will become a swamp creatures pretty quick.   No substance to the guy.  I don't get why this isn't pretty obvious. 

Still flummoxed why the RNC has poured money into this.  The winner will vote down the party line 95% of the time,  or similar.   Complete waste of resources. 

That said,   Moore is an embarrassment to Alabama and the legal profession.   Sadly Brooks was swamped by the 3M in negative advertising the RNC pushed in(much better candidate).   The RNC deserves the guy we're going to elect.   Idiots. 

Moore will become a swamp creatures pretty quick.   No substance to the guy.  I don't get why this isn't pretty obvious. 

Still flummoxed why the RNC has poured money into this.  The winner will vote down the party line 95% of the time,  or similar.   Complete waste of resources. 

That said,   Moore is an embarrassment to Alabama and the legal profession.   Sadly Brooks was swamped by the 3M in negative advertising the RNC pushed in(much better candidate).   The RNC deserves the guy we're going to elect.   Idiots. 
As a newly admitted member of the Alabama bar :bag:

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
That said,   Moore is an embarrassment to Alabama and the legal profession. 
If this is the case then why don't you and other conservatives vote for the Democrat? Is the Democratic Party so loathsome to Alabamans that you feel forced to cast your ballot for this guy instead? 

whoknew said:

You're right, I was overstating it however I'm also a Texan and outside of the big cities rural Texas is just as bad as rural Alabama and Mississippi. 

I've always said the reason that Texas doesn't look like Jackson, MI as a whole is because of the oil money. Our leadership is just as whacky as theirs. 

And the K-12 education system in Texas is awful. They lower the bar every year because the kids get dumber and dumber. That's why a good chunk of the white collar jobs are held by immigrants. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, I was overstating it however I'm also a Texan and outside of the big cities rural Texas is just as bad as rural Alabama and Mississippi. 
Judge Roy Bean >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Judge Roy Moore

Useless thought.  The choice was in the primary.  The Democrat has as much chance here as a republican would have for mayor of DC. 
I reckon you are probably right, but are we sure? Moore is way out there.

Link

A new Alabama Senate poll released again had Roy Moore with a double-digit lead over U.S. Sen. Luther Strange in the Republican primary runoff.

But it also indicated that Democrat Doug Jones will be a formidable candidate against either GOP candidate even in the deep red state.

The automated landline telephone poll conducted by Emerson College in Boston put Jones - who won the Democratic primary outright - in a statistical tie with either Moore or Strange as opponents.

Link

A new Alabama Senate poll released again had Roy Moore with a double-digit lead over U.S. Sen. Luther Strange in the Republican primary runoff.

But it also indicated that Democrat Doug Jones will be a formidable candidate against either GOP candidate even in the deep red state.

The automated landline telephone poll conducted by Emerson College in Boston put Jones - who won the Democratic primary outright - in a statistical tie with either Moore or Strange as opponents.
>>And the same poll said President Trump had a 51.5 percent approval rating in Alabama.<<

Yikes, that ain't much in Alabama for a GOP anything.

Link

GOPers will rally around their winner and Strange will fall way behind.

Koya said:
Birmingham seems like a really nice place.

I don't care what job you offered me, though, I dont see any way I could live in a state this backwards.
I live in Birmingham.  I tend to vote Republican on a national basis but this is the most embarrassing day, at least politically, for our state in my lifetime.  We just had a guy who reminds me of a character from Hee Haw win tonight.  I'll vote for Doug Jones in December, but it won't matter here.  I voted for Luther Strange tonight, something I never thought I'd ever do.  I used to work with him, big time D.C. lobbyist and worked lobbying for our company.  Stay tuned for outrageous comments.  For anyone who thinks politicians make ridiculous statements now, let's hold Roy's beer and just sit back.

Radical Larry said:
I honestly have paid any attention to this at all.

What's the difference between Moore and Strange?
Strange is a long time D.C. lobbyist.  He was portrayed as that and he basically is that.  But I don't think there's corruption or dishonesty there, he just made his living as a lobbyist.  He was an establishment vote for McConnell whenever he needed the votes.  Moore won't be that.  He's a twice removed judge who defied higher court orders and was removed for doing so.  Listening to him is like listening to a preacher on Sunday in a country church.  The problem is he swore on the Bible twice he would abide by the laws and uphold the Constitution and yet was removed twice for breaking that oath.  

Strange is a long time D.C. lobbyist.  He was portrayed as that and he basically is that.  But I don't think there's corruption or dishonesty there, he just made his living as a lobbyist.  He was an establishment vote for McConnell whenever he needed the votes.  Moore won't be that.  He's a twice removed judge who defied higher court orders and was removed for doing so.  Listening to him is like listening to a preacher on Sunday in a country church.  The problem is he swore on the Bible twice he would abide by the laws and uphold the Constitution and yet was removed twice for breaking that oath.  
Do you know the details of him defying the higher court orders? 

Koya said:
Birmingham seems like a really nice place.

I don't care what job you offered me, though, I dont see any way I could live in a state this backwards.
Huntsville and parts of Birmingham are really nice.  The entire country just voted Donald Truml President. Let’s not judge a state as backwards based on one stupid election that likely had a very low turnout.

Yeah, Bama is coming from a bad place historically.  But it can be a pretty awesome place , especially North Alabama. 

Users who are viewing this thread