What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore: Update: Roy is running again! (2 Viewers)

Do you know the details of him defying the higher court orders? 
I did at one time, but I kind of have forgotten all the details over time.  If you ask an Alabama voter about Roy Moore, the first and only thing they'll mention is the Ten Commandments.  He's known as "The Ten Commandments" judge for refusing to remove a statue of the Ten Commandments from his courtroom when ordered by the court.  He subsequently has resisted and called for county clerk's to not obey the Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage and to not issue marriage license's to gay couples.  He was removed over those instances.  But he's viewed by the average voter, especially in rural counties, as a very religious man because of his stance over the Ten Commandments.  To me it was always that he swore on the Bible to uphold the rule of law and now has basically gone back on that promise to promote his own political gain.

All that said, let me provide context to this race.  Strange was appointed by Gov. Bentley just before he was forced from office.  Strange was never elected to this seat and a lot of people rightly felt skeptical that his appointment was an appeasement as Strange had been in charge of the ethics investigation against the governor.  When Bentley resigned, the Lt Gov took over.  She had the option of calling this election or waiting for the next cycle.  She chose this option in my opinion because she knew Roy Moore had no office and wanted to run for something.  She didn't want him running against her for Governor so she set this up to clear him from the field.  Probably a smart move on her part.  Moore has about 30% of the electorate in his pocket from the start.  It's amplified in low turnout elections like this where he's the only race on the ballot.  His supporters are die hards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huntsville and parts of Birmingham are really nice.  The entire country just voted Donald Truml President. Let’s not judge a state as backwards based on one stupid election that likely had a very low turnout.

Yeah, Bama is coming from a bad place historically.  But it can be a pretty awesome place , especially North Alabama. 
There is a reason I brought up Birmingham... and purposefully said backwards state... not people.

It is. I could not be comfortable my nor others basic civil rights would be protected, and the push for religious intrusion made by the government into personal lives scares the bejeebuz out of me.

My underlying point is state politics absolutely plays a role in where we live, work, invest... this is just a stark example why, even in light of some great communities, and imo, overwhelmingly nice and caring people on a personal / community level there is no chance I would risk living in Alabama.

Yes, risk. Sad as it is to put it that way. All because of potential huge gov't overreach into my and others civil and religious freedoms. 

When a state strongly supports and will likely elect a man who wants to make homosexuality a criminal offense as if its 1954 again, as but one example, how could I be comfortable moving there? 

...Jeff Stein

Some right-wing conservatives think Sharia law is a danger to America — do you?

Roy Moore

There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities.

But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts.

Jeff Stein

Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?

Roy Moore

Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana — up there. I don't know.

Jeff Stein

That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make.

Roy Moore

Well, let me just put it this way — if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.

- Well that solves that.

There is a reason I brought up Birmingham... and purposefully said backwards state... not people.

It is. I could not be comfortable my nor others basic civil rights would be protected, and the push for religious intrusion made by the government into personal lives scares the bejeebuz out of me.

My underlying point is state politics absolutely plays a role in where we live, work, invest... this is just a stark example why, even in light of some great communities, and imo, overwhelmingly nice and caring people on a personal / community level there is no chance I would risk living in Alabama.

Yes, risk. Sad as it is to put it that way. All because of potential huge gov't overreach into my and others civil and religious freedoms. 

When a state strongly supports and will likely elect a man who wants to make homosexuality a criminal offense as if its 1954 again, as but one example, how could I be comfortable moving there? 
I love Birmingham.  And I've traveled all over the country on business so have been to most of the larger cities.  I did grow up in the rural parts of the state so when you compare Birmingham to those places it's completely night and day.  When you look at the county results map, the only places Strange won were in the Birmingham and Huntsville cities and suburbs. 

Also guys, watch the next Mississippi election with Sen. Wicker.  Chirs McDaniel won't go away who Thad Cochran narrowly defeated.  He and Moore will be quite the pair.

Koya said:
Birmingham seems like a really nice place.

I don't care what job you offered me, though, I dont see any way I could live in a state this backwards.
I think you are shortchanging the rest of the country.  

Basically Alabama was so pissed off that a black man was elected President that they have built up a ton of hatred for all things except Tide football. So they are walking around looking for ways to flip a big middle finger to the rest of the US. And here it is "Judge" Roy Moore. He and George Wallace would be best of buds if ol George was around today. The people of Alabama don't give a #### what you think - it's eff you America. It's the American Taliban at work.  Roll Tide.

Basically Alabama was so pissed off that a black man was elected President that they have built up a ton of hatred for all things except Tide football. So they are walking around looking for ways to flip a big middle finger to the rest of the US. And here it is "Judge" Roy Moore. He and George Wallace would be best of buds if ol George was around today. The people of Alabama don't give a #### what you think - it's eff you America. It's the American Taliban at work.  Roll Tide.
Maybe that's my problem, I'm an Auburn grad.

WDE

I live in Birmingham.  I tend to vote Republican on a national basis but this is the most embarrassing day, at least politically, for our state in my lifetime.  We just had a guy who reminds me of a character from Hee Haw win tonight.  I'll vote for Doug Jones in December, but it won't matter here.  I voted for Luther Strange tonight, something I never thought I'd ever do.  I used to work with him, big time D.C. lobbyist and worked lobbying for our company.  Stay tuned for outrageous comments.  For anyone who thinks politicians make ridiculous statements now, let's hold Roy's beer and just sit back.
I also live in Bham.  As for the rest of what you wrote - x2.

You'd be surprised at the city here.  Huntsville, too, for that matter.   You'd have nothing to worry about.  I've been to many places in the country and there are very few I'd think were on par - Lexington, Chattanooga, Boone, maybe a couple others.  Infinitely better than hellholes like LA.

On a side note - lots and lots of money went into this.  And it blew up in the GOP's faces spectacularly.  If they would have kept their noses (and  :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: ) out of this we wouldn't have this dip#### in office.

You'd be surprised at the city here.  Huntsville, too, for that matter.   You'd have nothing to worry about.  I've been to many places in the country and there are very few I'd think were on par - Lexington, Chattanooga, Boone, maybe a couple others.  Infinitely better than hellholes like LA.

On a side note - lots and lots of money went into this.  And it blew up in the GOP's faces spectacularly.  If they would have kept their noses (and  :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: ) out of this we wouldn't have this dip#### in office.
So Sand, you never responded to my earlier question. Are you going to vote for Moore or the Democrat? 

It seems doubtful, but I heard at least one analyst on CNN speculate that maybe the Democratic candidate would have a chance. Moore is so spectacularly awful...

Oh, is probably enjoy Birmingham tremendously. 

But could not live with the pall of the States leadership over my head, great place as Birmingham may be.

Hope that makes sense. State law can have a huge effect on Ones life and liberty, and such an extreme political atmosphere is simply too much for any one locale to overcome in terms of my decisions. 

Just this week, Moore referred to Native Americans as "reds" and Asian Americans as "yellows". This is the guy that's about to be elected by Alabama. 

Daniel Dale‏Verified account @ddale8  12h12 hours ago
An under-discussed part of Roy Moore's long history of bigotry: he argued Congress should refuse to seat Keith Ellison because he's Muslim.
Probably still a bridge too far, but Dems went from a snowball's chance in Alabama of winning this seat to mere longshots.

If athletes peacefully protesting during the national anthem bothers you more than a (likely) US Senator with no regard for the rule of law who wants us to become a theocracy and thinks Muslims can't be congressmen, it ain't patriotism that's motivating your objection.

I'm so lost.  Georgia managed to elect the more racist candidate than whomever Trump was backing?  

And people somehow think this is progress?  

Little help here please.

If athletes peacefully protesting during the national anthem bothers you more than a (likely) US Senator with no regard for the rule of law who wants us to become a theocracy and thinks Muslims can't be congressmen, it ain't patriotism that's motivating your objection.
I'm not suggesting this is likely, but what would happen if minority athletes who play football at the University of Alabama would refuse to take the field in protest of Roy Moore? Is that the one thing that could sway Alabama voters?

I'm not suggesting this is likely, but what would happen if minority athletes who play football at the University of Alabama would refuse to take the field in protest of Roy Moore? Is that the one thing that could sway Alabama voters?
It would sway some but I do like that athletes and coaches are speaking out - the more that happens the more the every man out there is exposed to it and more importantly I think kids see what is going on - my 11 year old played the Curry clip about Trump.  These kids, I think,will be swayed by athletes and other celebrities and this is one time where I see it as a good thing.

Based on what the Drive-By Truckers have taught me about Alabama, a conflict between college football and racism would result in a draw that could only be resolved by the Van Zant family.

It seems doubtful, but I heard at least one analyst on CNN speculate that maybe the Democratic candidate would have a chance. Moore is so spectacularly awful...
He's got about the same chance Trump had in the general election. 

It's not impossible, but he'd probably need some help from the Russians. 

He's got about the same chance Trump had in the general election. 

It's not impossible, but he'd probably need some help from the Russians. 
I suspect a lot of Alabama voters are like our conservative friend Sand here. Sand has spent the last month ripping Moore as an unacceptable idiot. But when I have asked Sand if he will vote for the Democrat in the general election...silence. Apparently Sand cannot bring himself to vote for a Democrat even when the guy representing his party is a complete embarrassment.

I suspect a lot of Alabama voters are like our conservative friend Sand here. Sand has spent the last month ripping Moore as an unacceptable idiot. But when I have asked Sand if he will vote for the Democrat in the general election...silence. Apparently Sand cannot bring himself to vote for a Democrat even when the guy representing his party is a complete embarrassment.
I wouldn't be shocked if a bunch of sane Republicans just stayed home (and I mean for real, not this "I voted Libertarian" schtick).

In Sand's defense, I would really struggle with the decision if the situation were reversed.  It's not just Moore v. Jones, you're also possibly deciding which party will control the Senate in 2018.  I think if there was a Maryland Senate race between a kooky embarrassing Dem and a seemingly competent Republican, I probably still vote Dem. 

Users who are viewing this thread