What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Streaming Defenses (1 Viewer)

Slapdash

Footballguy
For those of you that deploy streaming, who are you targeting to start the year off? 

NYJ and Buffalo both are going to be very bad on offense this year, but they play each other week 1.  Carolina gets SF and Buffalo the first two weeks, but will be more expensive.

Tennessee has an interesting opening slate: Oakland, Jacksonville, Seattle, Houston, Miami, Indianapolis, Cleveland, then Baltimore after the bye.

If I were to target them, I'd aim for that 4 week run starting with Miami.

need2know said:
BobbyLayne said:
This went badly for me last year after 2-3 years of being a great strategy. But I'm on board.
Me too.  But I know it works most of the time.  I traded for min def mid year after getting burned like 5 times straight
Yeah, last year was rough.  I was able to pick up KC in a shallow league down the stretch.

Ilov80s said:
Pittsburgh has the best start: Cleveland, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, Jax
Not only that, but they're much improved from last year too.  TJ Watt coming on board, Bud Dupree being an stud in practices, Burns has improved a lot after being thrown in as a rookie last year, Vince Williams is a better version of Timmons who left not to mention the front which is really good with Hargrave Tuitt and Heyward.  Steelers are my target for the year, not just streaming wise.  Plus I get the benefit of rooting my team on more.  

Not only that, but they're much improved from last year too.  TJ Watt coming on board, Bud Dupree being an stud in practices, Burns has improved a lot after being thrown in as a rookie last year, Vince Williams is a better version of Timmons who left not to mention the front which is really good with Hargrave Tuitt and Heyward.  Steelers are my target for the year, not just streaming wise.  Plus I get the benefit of rooting my team on more.  
Bud has always been really talented.  Do you think he is going to be able to stay on the field for more snaps this year?

Great point. Plus, they were pretty good for fantasy last year. I think they finished around DEF13 or 14 in my league. 

Yeah, last year was rough.  I was able to pick up KC in a shallow league down the stretch.
I streamed the first 6 weeks of the 2016 season, then someone dropped KC for a bye week fill-in and I snagged  them and didn't look back. End of streaming. That seems to be the play here when streaming out of the gate. Do it until you catch a break from another owner dropping a top defense because of bye issues. Pounce and relax.

I streamed the first 6 weeks of the 2016 season, then someone dropped KC for a bye week fill-in and I snagged  them and didn't look back. End of streaming. That seems to be the play here when streaming out of the gate. Do it until you catch a break from another owner dropping a top defense because of bye issues. Pounce and relax.
The part for me that made it tougher was that a few other owners in my league caught on so each week there was competition for defenses with good match-ups.

Bud has always been really talented.  Do you think he is going to be able to stay on the field for more snaps this year?
There's no reason to think he won't.  In his 2nd season last year, he basically produced the same as his rookie year except with the caveat that he played in 9 less games.  There's also no reason to think his injury is affecting him or that it's a recurring thing.  Here's a fluff piece to make you convinced.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/4/12/15270572/pass-rushing-guru-predicts-steelers-bud-dupree-will-win-defensive-player-of-the-year-chuck-smith

Im going to target anyone playing the Jets. That'd be the Bills in week 1 and Raiders in week 2.

The part for me that made it tougher was that a few other owners in my league caught on so each week there was competition for defenses with good match-ups.
 Yeah almost half of each of my leagues are at least open to streaming. Pretty hard lady year when you want a guy on waivers and need to switch out a defense. 

ATL is my sleeper D. They are locked in got my week 1 dynasty start vs the Bears.

I may go pairimg route over streaming if I can get 2 competent Ds with complimentary matchups in my local.

Yeah almost half of each of my leagues are at least open to streaming. Pretty hard lady year when you want a guy on waivers and need to switch out a defense. 

ATL is my sleeper D. They are locked in got my week 1 dynasty start vs the Bears.

I may go pairimg route over streaming if I can get 2 competent Ds with complimentary matchups in my local.
There has to be a kind of breaking point though, right? Once so many teams stream, it means there are good defenses not being owned. Unless owners are holding multiple defenses in which it increases your odds for finding better values at other positions.

There has to be a kind of breaking point though, right? Once so many teams stream, it means there are good defenses not being owned. Unless owners are holding multiple defenses in which it increases your odds for finding better values at other positions.
Yes there is.  I am also noticing more and more people streaming.  Seemed half the league I was in yesterday waited for the last round and just focused on early season schedules.  The other half drafted elite defenses, way too early imo, and a couple of them took two.  Still would rather stream but if everyone is doing it you would think it's not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This went badly for me last year after 2-3 years of being a great strategy. But I'm on board.
Worked a lot better for me when half my leaguemates weren't also streaming defenses...hoping I can find one that sticks this year so I can just ride it out.

Worked a lot better for me when half my leaguemates weren't also streaming defenses...hoping I can find one that sticks this year so I can just ride it out.
That is the key. If too many start trying stream, then be aggressive and try to find a consistent D. 

Ilov80s said:
That is the key. If too many start trying stream, then be aggressive and try to find a consistent D. 
I think you're always trying to find a consistent D. Nor do I think the line is so clear-cut. Last year I picked up the Falcons for a couple of good late-season matchups, and then, because the alternatives weren't great, stuck with them ROS, which worked out pretty well. 

I think the key with streaming is that you have to constantly be willing to re-evaluate your strategy every week, and sometimes that means sticking with a D rather than streaming.

I'm looking at..

HOU vs. JAC - I think HOU will probably go earlier than I'll take a defense but if they're there in the 14th I'll take them

BUF vs. NYJ - The reasons are obvious.

STL vs. IND - If Luck doesn't go you're looking at Tolzein.

Agree with this notion as well -- PIT is a good early streamer given schedule, but they may turn out to be an all-season-long hold. Watching some of their preseason games, they have some talent in their depth chart -- OLB Anthony Chickillo who largely had ST duties last year seems to operate on another gear. I can see him and Shazier providing some punch from the mid-backfield. 

Pittsburgh has the best start: Cleveland, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, Jax
Cleveland made a significant upgrade to their OL and always a chance away-Ben turns the ball over giving Cleveland a short field.

People also need to stop sleeping on Minnesota's offense this year.  

Patriots start with a couple bad matchups but it gets considerably nicer during the midseason stretch and into the FF playoffs. 

I typically pick up streaming defenses two weeks out now to get ahead of the crowd.  

How are people not salivating over the thought of starting LAR at home vs. Tolzien?
I nailed down the LA Rams DST in my 12 teamer Monday night.

My thoughts were not only are they likely playing the Luck-less Colts, but the following week they are @ home again vs Cousins and the Redskins.

THEN the next week they are playing SF also. I feel like this is a solid play for the first 3 weeks, and the Rams have generally had an underrated defense for the last few years.

By then, us Rams owners need to look elsewhere as they play Dallas and Seattle the following weeks, and I don't have interest in those match ups.

3 weeks is long enough for us to start getting a feel as to who the better defenses are, and also who the "better than expected" defenses are.

I was also thinking Pittsburgh in my draft, but one owner AUTO-PICKED his way to a second defense just before it came back to me late in that draft. :wall:

ATLANTA may turn out to be a help for a late season push.  Weeks 12-13-14 (which as we all know is a crucial must-win time for many owners then) they are on a three week stretch AT HOME against Tampa Bay, Minnesota and New Orleans.

TZM

I drafted Pittsburgh for the start.  Though Cleveland looks to be improved from last year with the OL, picks of Garrett and Peppers on defense and mobile qb in Kizer.  I'm hoping the Steelers get out to a big lead and the rookie makes mistakes.  

Overall, outside of the top 3-5 defenses I have typically waited 2-3 weeks to see if anyone rises up.  NYG is a good example last year.  

I'm starting the season with the Bills and the Raiders, both already rostered. Need to stay 1 week ahead in this league. If you haven't sensed a theme, these are who Jets play week 1 and 2 and both times on the road. Will examine week 3 prospects after week 1 is over. That's my strategy.

I drafted Pittsburgh for the start.  Though Cleveland looks to be improved from last year with the OL, picks of Garrett and Peppers on defense and mobile qb in Kizer.  I'm hoping the Steelers get out to a big lead and the rookie makes mistakes.  

Overall, outside of the top 3-5 defenses I have typically waited 2-3 weeks to see if anyone rises up.  NYG is a good example last year.  
Don't over think this. It's a rookie QB's debut against a potentially very high scoring offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread