What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Streaming Defenses (1 Viewer)

Houston and LAR available in my league. LAR are the #2 defense thus far.mm thinking of blowing some faab and stopping streaming 
Grabbed them before Sunday in one league and have them paired with Cinci. Looking at the schedule, I'm not sure how reliable they are ROS.

Here's how the pairing shapes up ROS:

• Week 9: LAR @NYG, Cinci @Jax
  • Week 10: LAR vs Hou, Cinci @ Tenn
  • Week 11: LAR @ Minn, Cinci @ Den
  • Week 12: LAR vs NO, Cinci vs Cle
  • Week 13: LAR @ Ari, Cinci vs Pitt
  • Week 14: LAR vs Phi, Cinci vs Chi
  • Week 15: LAR @ Sea, Cinci @ Minn (ugh, no good choices)
  • Week 16: LAR @ Tenn, Cinci vs Det
There are only two definite starts, and a couple other maybes (NO at home, Tenn on the road) where you'd consider it. The others (Houston, @Minn, Phi, @Sea) are serious stay-aways. I may hold them through Week 13 (although I see the Chargers are playing Cleveland that week), but unless they emerge as a total powerhouse in the meantime, not sure they're a hold. Also, they have a bad run D and their numbers are inflated by a couple really good games combined with a few stinkers.

Grabbed them before Sunday in one league and have them paired with Cinci. Looking at the schedule, I'm not sure how reliable they are ROS.

Here's how the pairing shapes up ROS:

• Week 9: LAR @NYG, Cinci @Jax
  • Week 10: LAR vs Hou, Cinci @ Tenn
  • Week 11: LAR @ Minn, Cinci @ Den
  • Week 12: LAR vs NO, Cinci vs Cle
  • Week 13: LAR @ Ari, Cinci vs Pitt
  • Week 14: LAR vs Phi, Cinci vs Chi
  • Week 15: LAR @ Sea, Cinci @ Minn (ugh, no good choices)
  • Week 16: LAR @ Tenn, Cinci vs Det
There are only two definite starts, and a couple other maybes (NO at home, Tenn on the road) where you'd consider it. The others (Houston, @Minn, Phi, @Sea) are serious stay-aways. I may hold them through Week 13 (although I see the Chargers are playing Cleveland that week), but unless they emerge as a total powerhouse in the meantime, not sure they're a hold. Also, they have a bad run D and their numbers are inflated by a couple really good games combined with a few stinkers.
Thanks

They have scoired in my league: 34.3, 10.3, 12.3, 19.3, 13.2, 36.10, 21.80

So even those bad games were not really so bad. 10+ points isn't anything to scoff at IMO. 

According to their Yahoo player profile, HOU is giving up #1 points to defenses this season. Seems odd considering the points they've put up

But their playoff schedule is pretty bad. I do like Cinci... not sure I like them this week vs Jax. I may just hold them and hope for the best. 

Thanks

They have scoired in my league: 34.3, 10.3, 12.3, 19.3, 13.2, 36.10, 21.80

So even those bad games were not really so bad. 10+ points isn't anything to scoff at IMO. 

According to their Yahoo player profile, HOU is giving up #1 points to defenses this season. Seems odd considering the points they've put up

But their playoff schedule is pretty bad. I do like Cinci... not sure I like them this week vs Jax. I may just hold them and hope for the best. 
Yeah, that Yahoo opponent rank thing can be very misleading. If you click through you can see how they've done week to week. In Houston's case, they gave up huge points in the first couple weeks, and they've given up TDs in each of their last three games (while otherwise scoring 35+ points/game). Not sure I'd count on those TDs going forward. I am sure I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my D was facing Watson.

As for the Rams, in my league they gave up 6, 6 and 4 points Weeks 2-4 and 10 in Week 5. You're right, I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them, but I was just using it to make the argument that I don't necessarily think they're the best fantasy D. I think they're a solid fantasy D with a brutal schedule coming up. If nothing else, they're a solid streaming option this week, so I would definitely recommend grabbing them for that. Not sure how much FAAB I'd blow on them, though.

Houston ok to drop now? I also have the Lions DEF. Wouldn't mind freeing up a spot to take a flier on a player, but then also do not want another team to use them against me.

Yeah, that Yahoo opponent rank thing can be very misleading. If you click through you can see how they've done week to week. In Houston's case, they gave up huge points in the first couple weeks, and they've given up TDs in each of their last three games (while otherwise scoring 35+ points/game). Not sure I'd count on those TDs going forward. I am sure I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my D was facing Watson.

As for the Rams, in my league they gave up 6, 6 and 4 points Weeks 2-4 and 10 in Week 5. You're right, I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them, but I was just using it to make the argument that I don't necessarily think they're the best fantasy D. I think they're a solid fantasy D with a brutal schedule coming up. If nothing else, they're a solid streaming option this week, so I would definitely recommend grabbing them for that. Not sure how much FAAB I'd blow on them, though.
Good discussion. I agree. I'm not sure I am a big fan of them in general going forward either- they had some good offenses. It's nice to talk it through with someone else. HOU and DET are also available and I may bite on one of them over CIN this week. I'd like to have CIN ROS but I just don't have the roster space... I could just gut through JAX this week and hope Bortles and company fall flat on their faces. Bortles is usually good for a pick, might even be a pick 6... 

Good discussion. I agree. I'm not sure I am a big fan of them in general going forward either- they had some good offenses. It's nice to talk it through with someone else. HOU and DET are also available and I may bite on one of them over CIN this week. I'd like to have CIN ROS but I just don't have the roster space... I could just gut through JAX this week and hope Bortles and company fall flat on their faces. Bortles is usually good for a pick, might even be a pick 6... 
Yeah, Jax is another one where I don't really buy the Yahoo opponent rank. If they get their running game going, they can be very strong, but if they fall behind, well, Bortles. I don't think Cinci is a bad option this week.

Detroit may be worth grabbing just for the Cleveland match-up next week. This week could be good, too, but as a fatalistic Lions fan, no way I could ever trust them in GB, no matter who the QB is. But that's just my own meshugas.

Haven't really considered Houston, since they're owned in both my leagues. I think they're probably better than they showed against Seattle, but for sure losing Watt and Mercilus has to hurt their pass rush. How's their upcoming schedule?

DET on the road to Lambeau on MNF

LAR on the road to the NY Football Giants

DET has its moments on D. Huntley conservative game plan?

Rams scoring points on offense, Eli has been brutal?

I'm looking at these two and I do like DET ROS a tad better, LAR more this week.

Someone dropped the Denver D. I may have to break my two defenses rule and pair them (or Cincy, which someone else dropped) with Detroit.

Have any of you been following the Denver defense this season? Are they still "elite?" Their fantasy points haven't been on par with this year's top teams. I guess their offense has been dragging them down as a unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat with Cincy. I might just start them

I don't like ARI DST this week. They didn't do much vs. SF at home, haven't done much all season and now have Stanton under center who I assume will not be able to sustain drives/keep the defense fresh.

I was thinking SF DST might be a decent play, but then I looked at Stanton's game logs and SF is quite literally the only team he's ever performed well against. It's mind boggling but he has thrown 4 TDs to 0 INTs vs. them in 2 games and hasn't taken many sacks. He's been abysmal otherwise. 

TEN DST is interesting to me as home favorites, especially if Flacco can't go. 

I'm staying away from GB since Stafford routinely lights them up in Lambeau.

In one league I wanted Houston, but grabbed both AZ and TN. If Flacco is in, I'm go AZ. If Flacco is out I'm going TN against bum Mallet.

Other league I'm going after DET tonight. They looked pretty good stuffing L. Bell on Monday night and outside of the JuJu 97 yarder looked solid overall.

I don't like ARI DST this week. They didn't do much vs. SF at home, haven't done much all season and now have Stanton under center who I assume will not be able to sustain drives/keep the defense fresh.

I was thinking SF DST might be a decent play, but then I looked at Stanton's game logs and SF is quite literally the only team he's ever performed well against. It's mind boggling but he has thrown 4 TDs to 0 INTs vs. them in 2 games and hasn't taken many sacks. He's been abysmal otherwise. 

TEN DST is interesting to me as home favorites, especially if Flacco can't go. 

I'm staying away from GB since Stafford routinely lights them up in Lambeau.
All good thoughts here. Was curious to see FBG so high on the Cards D this week -- 9ers have been a fairly solid matchup for opposing Ds, and ARI has struggled but can have those games where Fitz&Co go bananas. 

But in a division game with ARI on the road, becomes a little dicey and almost screams trap game to me. Both teams have really similar offensive outputs in terms of points per game scored (17 for ARI, 16.6 for SF), 3rd down conversion success (36.4% to 31.1%), total yards per game (331.1 to 307), as well as defensive outputs -- total yards allowed (352.7 vs 382) and points per game allowed (27.3 to 27.4) and 3rd down conversoin allowed (47.7% to 47%). 

So fairly evenly matched and not a huge gimme for ARI.

TEN is looking more solid if Mallet instead of Flacco is under center, which is the most likely case. Ten is #10 in rush yards allowed per game, and were solid in this phase going into the bye, not allowing running backs to rush for more than 80 yards against them with giving up just 2 ground TDs. BAL's Oline is a middling unit, so will come down to whether you think they can stop break-out candidate Collins.

And I too am very wary about GB's D ability to stop Detroit even on the frozen tundra, as it's a game and matchup you know Stafford and the Lions are salivating over to flip-flop the division standings and get closer to the Vikes.

All good thoughts here. Was curious to see FBG so high on the Cards D this week -- 9ers have been a fairly solid matchup for opposing Ds, and ARI has struggled but can have those games where Fitz&Co go bananas. 

But in a division game with ARI on the road, becomes a little dicey and almost screams trap game to me. Both teams have really similar offensive outputs in terms of points per game scored (17 for ARI, 16.6 for SF), 3rd down conversion success (36.4% to 31.1%), total yards per game (331.1 to 307), as well as defensive outputs -- total yards allowed (352.7 vs 382) and points per game allowed (27.3 to 27.4) and 3rd down conversoin allowed (47.7% to 47%). 

So fairly evenly matched and not a huge gimme for ARI.

TEN is looking more solid if Mallet instead of Flacco is under center, which is the most likely case. Ten is #10 in rush yards allowed per game, and were solid in this phase going into the bye, not allowing running backs to rush for more than 80 yards against them with giving up just 2 ground TDs. BAL's Oline is a middling unit, so will come down to whether you think they can stop break-out candidate Collins.

And I too am very wary about GB's D ability to stop Detroit even on the frozen tundra, as it's a game and matchup you know Stafford and the Lions are salivating over to flip-flop the division standings and get closer to the Vikes.
Flaccos starting

Flaccos starting
Likely starting after turning in what I'm assuming is a limited practice today. But he hasn't cleared concussion protocol yet I don't think.

I like TEN regardless as to whether or not Flacco plays. Flacco has been largely terrible this year.

Has everyone given up on the Saints D as an option? Seems like Winston will be playing hurt. He's been known to throw picks and take sacks. NO might give up some pts but I'll wager they force two turnovers and generate a couple of sacks and if Payton/Brees decides to start passing again and runs the score up then Winston might throw multiple INT's.

Am I missing something with Detroit?  Most of the projections have them pretty low but it's the #4 scoring fantasy defense playing against Brett Hundley who has 5 turnovers in his 2 starts.  What is not to like there?

Am I missing something with Detroit?  Most of the projections have them pretty low but it's the #4 scoring fantasy defense playing against Brett Hundley who has 5 turnovers in his 2 starts.  What is not to like there?
 One bad week and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. I'm starting them. 

Now I have choices with DET, LAR, DEN, and PHI. DET has a pretty good ROS schedule. I already start Wentz and Elliott, K for PHI. Too many eggs in the PHI basket. Rams seem to be a tad more inviting? DEN dropped as their D is stifling, but the O can't score points to put the D in turnover heavy mode.

Best ROS ranking goes to LAR. Does anybody really like the Rams D?

Keeping the steelers on my bench this week and picking up HOU as a filler.  Vikings are siiting there on WW.  WHat is the consensus on their value ROS vs Pitt?

No sacks in the last two games. On the road, in cold/grass, hostile crowd, Monday Night, vs. division team coming off a bye.  I get the allure, I don't really know anything about Hundley but what we've seen so far.  But I just don't think this is a good defense and the intangibles I look for in a streaming defense are all negative.  But good luck to anyone starting them!

No sacks in the last two games. On the road, in cold/grass, hostile crowd, Monday Night, vs. division team coming off a bye.  I get the allure, I don't really know anything about Hundley but what we've seen so far.  But I just don't think this is a good defense and the intangibles I look for in a streaming defense are all negative.  But good luck to anyone starting them!
Lions have a set it and forget it schedule. Maybe they arent a top 5 play THIS week but I definitely think they are top 12 play and if you dont want to hold 2 defenses nothing wrong with starting them vs Hundley IMO. Next 2 weeks after that are CLE & CHI.

I picked up ARI over a bunch of middling options.  They have a lot of talent on D still especially compared to an SF squad in transition with Garcon banged up.  I expect they'll lean heavily on ADP and should be able to keep it close on the road vs a really poor team.

Very odd Arizona D went ignored in my league, picked them out of the FA pool yesterday. CJ Beathard isn't anything great and Pierre Garcon may miss the game.

IHMO I think Rams D @ Giants is a trap. Giants come of a Bye with a healthy Sterling Sheperd and Engram, and former Giants RJJr./King got two weeks of reps to get more acclimated with the team.  Giants run game isn't garbage with Darkwa/Gallman Jr. and the line is healthier with Weston RIchburg back at C I believe.

I'm not saying they aren't usable, but don't expect 13+ FP from playing them

Out of curiosity, are the Jets still considered a premium defensive matchup, or not? My perception is that like Buffalo their offense has been better than expected and they really aren't an auto plug in to start opposing D's. - eta - Note I don't think it matters for the Bills who have performed against almost everyone, just an observation moving forward.

red stripe said:
It's traditionally a bad venue for Detroit, but Hundley has't done much. I forget his rate throwing over 15 yards but it's pretty bad. Against the Saints he ran one in (that's not dependable) and Jones took a long run for the distance almost untouched where the defense seemed to miss an assignment in the middle (also pretty variable). The Pack could have just as well been held to 6-9 points. And teams are going to be sure to get a spy on him for his runs, at least the Saints did in the 2nd half and they shut that down. 

The Frankman said:
Very odd Arizona D went ignored in my league, picked them out of the FA pool yesterday. CJ Beathard isn't anything great and Pierre Garcon may miss the game.

IHMO I think Rams D @ Giants is a trap. Giants come of a Bye with a healthy Sterling Sheperd and Engram, and former Giants RJJr./King got two weeks of reps to get more acclimated with the team.  Giants run game isn't garbage with Darkwa/Gallman Jr. and the line is healthier with Weston RIchburg back at C I believe.

I'm not saying they aren't usable, but don't expect 13+ FP from playing them
West team going to East Coast is almost always a stay away from me

Out of curiosity, are the Jets still considered a premium defensive matchup, or not? My perception is that like Buffalo their offense has been better than expected and they really aren't an auto plug in to start opposing D's. - eta - Note I don't think it matters for the Bills who have performed against almost everyone, just an observation moving forward.
I would agree. Jets are not a prime matchup like we thought but the BUF defense has been good against everyone and a top option this week again.

Someone dropped the Denver D. I may have to break my two defenses rule and pair them (or Cincy, which someone else dropped) with Detroit.

Have any of you been following the Denver defense this season? Are they still "elite?" Their fantasy points haven't been on par with this year's top teams. I guess their offense has been dragging them down as a unit.
They are my D in. Dynasty league. Overall “meh” this year. They haven’t allowed over 300 yards in a game yet but aren’t generating turnovers (5 INT and 1 FR so far).  Only 1 TD. So they are 10th in a ppg basis for me. Start able but not the dominate unit of years past.  Their O is killing them. 

Im actually considering benching them for LAR this week. I’m not sure if I’m crazy. 

They are my D in. Dynasty league. Overall “meh” this year. They haven’t allowed over 300 yards in a game yet but aren’t generating turnovers (5 INT and 1 FR so far).  Only 1 TD. So they are 10th in a ppg basis for me. Start able but not the dominate unit of years past.  Their O is killing them. 

Im actually considering benching them for LAR this week. I’m not sure if I’m crazy. 
I have them as well, and I'm rolling the dice.  I knew this would be a rough patch, but after NE they have some favorable matchups ROS.  There were some injuries which are now starting to return to the field - so I expect some of the Sacks, INT/FF #s to increase.  I don't see any help for their offense, unless they let Siemian go back to dink/dunk passing and stop forcing him into a role that doesn't fit his strengths.

I have to choose between

Philly versus Denver

Jacksonville versus Cincy

Picked up Philly last week and they were great.  Was ready to drop and play Jax but FBG has Philly ranked # 1 this week.

In almost every case, I think if you're asking whether or not you should play PHI vs. Brock Lobster or X team vs. anyone else, you should go with PHI.

JAC is a tough sit though.

I have to choose between

Philly versus Denver

Jacksonville versus Cincy

Picked up Philly last week and they were great.  Was ready to drop and play Jax but FBG has Philly ranked # 1 this week.
Jacksonville is impossible to sit unless they face NE IMO.

I think I’m rolling with Cinci again.

Detroit was dropped and if I can get them off free agency I may roll with them after waivers.  Not sure I love Tennessee’s high ranking.

I think I’m rolling with Cinci again.

Detroit was dropped and if I can get them off free agency I may roll with them after waivers.  Not sure I love Tennessee’s high ranking.
I own Cinci in two leagues. Not starting them because I have better options (Rams in one, Buffalo in the other), but I don't think they're a bad start. Jax is hit or miss as an opponent; if they fall behind, the opposing D can tee off on Bortles, but if not, they can get Fournette cranking.

I suspect Tennessee's ranking might have something to do with the initial expectation that they would be facing Mallett. 

As for Detroit, they seem to be a hot pickup this week (and of course next week vs CLE), but I'm not sure I trust them. They've been fairly inconsistent all year, and their fantasy scoring has been driven by a TO rate that may be unsustainable (along with that ridiculous Saints game).

Honestly, of those three options I think I'd prefer Cinci, because when in doubt default to the best D.

anywhere to find ranking or discussion on what D's are looking good for the playoff weeks?  CHI, LAR, NO are sitting on my wire and I'm starting to look towards the playoffs

anywhere to find ranking or discussion on what D's are looking good for the playoff weeks?  CHI, LAR, NO are sitting on my wire and I'm starting to look towards the playoffs
Green Bay has a pretty good streaming schedule the rest of the way.  I'm carrying them and KC

Well, that Houston match-up just got a lot more attractive for the Rams next week ...

Users who are viewing this thread