What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Streaming Defenses (2 Viewers)

Hanging onto the Eagles for now as their floor is nice. Picked the Pats for this week over Chicago and MINNESOTA to pair with Philly for at least one week, maybe rest of year.

Right now I'm leaning the Giants over the Bears in a league where pickings are slim. The Giants stink but getting Jenkins back is huge and there's definitely nothing scary about the 49ers' matchup. The biggest plus I see with the Bears is the potential for a low-scoring game. Hundley will take sacks but he did a better job of protecting the ball vs. the Lions. 

Seems like a lot of people had the same CHI/NE choice & most went with Pats? Both are facing bad offenses on their current form. I went with the Bears after looking the Next Gen stat charts, which confirmed what I’ve been seeing - they have no confidence in him throwing more than 10 yards downfield. That makes for a pretty easy offense to stop.

Seems like a lot of people had the same CHI/NE choice & most went with Pats? Both are facing bad offenses on their current form. I went with the Bears after looking the Next Gen stat charts, which confirmed what I’ve been seeing - they have no confidence in him throwing more than 10 yards downfield. That makes for a pretty easy offense to stop.
And Packers just lost Bulaga. Getting a lot of sacks this year and recently forcing a lot of turnovers 

If the Packers had a defense they would be a strong play this week for the very same reason. 

Alas, their D blows in a big way.

Question about the Packers: I haven't studied them that closely, but I get the sense that their caution with Hundley is bad for their offense while not necessarily being great for opposing fantasy Ds. By not throwing the ball downfield, they cut down on both sacks and INTs. Detroit only scored 4 points against them.

Tr

I am trying to decide whether to stick with NO or go with the Lions vs Browns this week.  Leaning Lions...
NO is super hard to put away given their amazing run against all kinds of opponents, but they are going on the road play a November outdoor game against a solid Buffalo team, and that Lions match up is simply too juicy to pass up.

Normally I'd think a team coming off a big divisional win at home against a winless team smells trappy to me as Detroit looks past them to having to go on the road and play CHI to try and keep up with MIN.

But it's the Browns. 

I'd lean Lions too -- but hopefully you don't have to drop NO to do this. 

Right now I'm leaning the Giants over the Bears in a league where pickings are slim. The Giants stink but getting Jenkins back is huge and there's definitely nothing scary about the 49ers' matchup. The biggest plus I see with the Bears is the potential for a low-scoring game. Hundley will take sacks but he did a better job of protecting the ball vs. the Lions. 
Agree that Jenkins coming back will make a difference for the Giants, and the 49ers have been solid match ups for opposing D's all year long. GB's D seems to be in a bit of disarray, and while I agree it may be a low scoring game I think GB is going to be out looking for revenge for their divisional loss last week.

Question about the Packers: I haven't studied them that closely, but I get the sense that their caution with Hundley is bad for their offense while not necessarily being great for opposing fantasy Ds. By not throwing the ball downfield, they cut down on both sacks and INTs. Detroit only scored 4 points against them.
Yup. The Lions have a solid defense in my opinion and they didn't do much Monday night for that very reason and as I said before Hundley did a better job of protecting the football. He will take sacks because he lacks the ability to go through his progressions and he feels pressure immediately and often reacts poorly. So the matchup isn't as great as it may appear despite the fact he's terrible. I think you can count on 2-3 sacks and likely under 20 points which is a good floor in most leagues for a fantasy D. But I'm not sure they will force 2-3 turnovers which is often where the difference is made.

The plus for the Bears is they have been rock solid for a month now. So their floor going in is solid. I think they're a very safe choice as a result, especially if you get points for points allowed. Vegas has this as the second-lowest scoring game of the week and one of only two under 40 (Panthers-Dolphins the other).

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that Jenkins coming back will make a difference for the Giants, and the 49ers have been solid match ups for opposing D's all year long. GB's D seems to be in a bit of disarray, and while I agree it may be a low scoring game I think GB is going to be out looking for revenge for their divisional loss last week.
As I said above the Bears have a solid floor right now based on four straight weeks of good production. The Giants clearly don't carry the same floor but with Jenkins back that should strengthen their pass defense considerably. The 49ers are without Garcon and Kittle so they could look to short pass all game long again like they did last week. I'm flip-flopping on the Bears and Giants and will probably do it right until my FAAB deadline. I can see strong merits for both.  

As I said above the Bears have a solid floor right now based on four straight weeks of good production. The Giants clearly don't carry the same floor but with Jenkins back that should strengthen their pass defense considerably. The 49ers are without Garcon and Kittle so they could look to short pass all game long again like they did last week. I'm flip-flopping on the Bears and Giants and will probably do it right until my FAAB deadline. I can see strong merits for both.  
Could be, although their best remaining WR (Goodwin) is a straight-ahead burner who had a 55yd catch last week.

Could be, although their best remaining WR (Goodwin) is a straight-ahead burner who had a 55yd catch last week.
If the Giants decide to shadow Jenkins on a WR I'd assume he would be on Goodwin although I think Goodwin got his 55-yarder last week on Peterson. Not 100% sure about that. I still think the Niners' game plan will feature a ton of short passes to Hyde again. 

I would NOT be messing with the Giants right now. 

They're horrible, and they're road UNDERDOGS against a WINLESS 49ers.

I would NOT be messing with the Giants right now. 

They're horrible, and they're road UNDERDOGS against a WINLESS 49ers.
They're now a 1.5-point favorite. The line shifted dramatically when Jenkins was re-instated.

I agree they are horrible but the matchup is good and Jenkins' returns is a huge boost for their D. 

I think I am going to try to pick up both CHI and CIN defenses this week.  Their combined schedule looks pretty good. 

W10 - GB @ CHI
W11 - CIN @ DEN
W12 - CLE @ CIN
W13 - SF @ CHI
W14 - CHI @ CIN
W15 - CHI @ DET
W16 - CLE @ CHI
Had same idea...picked up Chicago already (dropped Buffalo after their wonderful bagel last weekend) but debating about hanging onto a 2nd DST for the rest of the season.

Streaming DST has been a s***show this season.

I think I am going to try to pick up both CHI and CIN defenses this week.  Their combined schedule looks pretty good. 

W10 - GB @ CHI
W11 - CIN @ DEN
W12 - CLE @ CIN
W13 - SF @ CHI
W14 - CHI @ CIN
W15 - CHI @ DET
W16 - CLE @ CHI
Had same idea...picked up Chicago already (dropped Buffalo after their wonderful bagel last weekend) but debating about hanging onto a 2nd DST for the rest of the season.

Streaming DST has been a s***show this season.

Was just reading NO has been best D over the last month, are they really good enough to set and forget?

I'll be switching between KC and NE rest of the way.  Will see how each opponent has been playing the previous weeks. Crazy how many games both teams have against Miami and Buffalo during that time. 6 games 

W10  NE @ DEN

W11 KC @ NYG

W12 MIA @ NE

W12 BUF @ KC

W13 KC @ NYJ

W13 NE @ BUF

W14 NE @ MIA    

W15 LAC @ KC

W16 MIA @ KC

W16 BUF @ NE

Was just reading NO has been best D over the last month, are they really good enough to set and forget?
Over the last month? Injured Winston - Trubisky - Hundley - Stafford. I am interested, but looking at some of their matchups coming up (Rams, ATL twice in the playoffs), I'm thinking no. Could you pair them with another team though? Like the Bengals?

Over the last month? Injured Winston - Trubisky - Hundley - Stafford. I am interested, but looking at some of their matchups coming up (Rams, ATL twice in the playoffs), I'm thinking no. Could you pair them with another team though? Like the Bengals?
I've got them with SD which makes for back to back NYJ games in weeks 15/16. 

I have them paired with the Vikes & it’s been working well. 

This raises a good issue (even though it kind of goes against the whole point of this thread): Which defenses have graduated over the course of the season from good streaming candidates to weekly set-and-forgets? I feel like the people who drafted Denver or Seattle a few rounds early are probably sticking with them weekly (even if in some cases they shouldn't). And Jax clearly reached that status early in the season.

What I'm thinking about is teams like Atlanta last year. They had a good match-up in a late-season game (I think Week 13 or 14), so I picked them up with the intention of dropping them the following week. But I got snaked on the other DST options, so I stuck with them, which worked out great. Eventually I realized they were rolling over teams and their D had stepped up their play, so I might as well stick with them.

This year, I'm facing a similar decision on the Rams. They've been great (if a little boom or bust), and against Houston they're a no-brainer, but they have a tough schedule coming up after this week: @Min, NO, @AZ, Phi, @Sea, @Tenn. Only Cardinals are a plus match-up, with Tenn neutral and the rest ranging from negative to stay-the-hell-away.

I had been thinking of pairing them with Cinci, a decent defense on a bad overall team that has some great match-ups coming. But if Dez doesn't play this week, I may have to drop Cinci to pick up a WR, with no guarantee I'll be able to get them back. And I'm wondering if that would be such a bad thing.

I mean, no way I can see starting them vs. Philly. But if they're rounding into form, that might make them worth rolling out in what would otherwise be negative match-ups like Minny or Seattle.

I'm trying to decide whether to stream the Jets or Tennessee this week.  Both Fitzpatrick and Dalton turn the ball over but I'm concerned about both matchups.  Will Fitzmagic take it to his old team?  AJ Green didn't get suspended and Dalton is a different QB when he has Green.  

I'm trying to decide whether to stream the Jets or Tennessee this week.  Both Fitzpatrick and Dalton turn the ball over but I'm concerned about both matchups.  Will Fitzmagic take it to his old team?  AJ Green didn't get suspended and Dalton is a different QB when he has Green.  
When in doubt, go with the team more likely to win. That's clearly the Jets.

I couldn't get the Bears or Lions so I'll be rolling with the Cardinals again this week.  Thursday night, division home game, hopefully they'll have enough mojo to dominate Seattle at the LOS.  I don't feel great about betting against Russell Wilson but I think they are a better bet than TENN/GB/BUFF/NE this week.

I'll be switching between KC and NE rest of the way.  Will see how each opponent has been playing the previous weeks. Crazy how many games both teams have against Miami and Buffalo during that time. 6 games 

W10  NE @ DEN

W11 KC @ NYG

W12 MIA @ NE

W12 BUF @ KC

W13 KC @ NYJ

W13 NE @ BUF

W14 NE @ MIA    

W15 LAC @ KC

W16 MIA @ KC

W16 BUF @ NE
Interesting, Will the Pats get the sacks and TO's though?

Haven't noticed how they have been playing as of late.

Interesting, Will the Pats get the sacks and TO's though?

Haven't noticed how they have been playing as of late.
Haven't allowed over 17 points since week 4.  5 turnovers in last 6 sacks last 3 weeks. Last 4 opponents Chargers, Rams, Jets, Tampa.  All wins.  

Haven't allowed over 17 points since week 4.  5 turnovers in last 6 sacks last 3 weeks. Last 4 opponents Chargers, Rams, Jets, Tampa.  All wins.  
What's your take on the Bears D? 

Seems like they get a good push, have a lot of sacks, and part of the reason they've racked up FF points is defensive TDs (which are hard to count on happening every week.) But overall they seem pretty middle of the road in yards allowed and points allowed. Am I missing something? Are they really trending or coming together? The LBs looked awful in the Vikings game but seems like they've improved a bit since.

Hard to figure this Bears team out. They're less awful overall, but they have horrible deficiencies on offense. You would think a team that is building around it's defense and run game would want a good kicker, and Barth is lousy. Their play calling is like something out of the 50s. You wonder if they'll ever take the training wheels off.

This is the only game this week with an over/under in the 30s.

This raises a good issue (even though it kind of goes against the whole point of this thread): Which defenses have graduated over the course of the season from good streaming candidates to weekly set-and-forgets? I feel like the people who drafted Denver or Seattle a few rounds early are probably sticking with them weekly (even if in some cases they shouldn't). And Jax clearly reached that status early in the season.

What I'm thinking about is teams like Atlanta last year. They had a good match-up in a late-season game (I think Week 13 or 14), so I picked them up with the intention of dropping them the following week. But I got snaked on the other DST options, so I stuck with them, which worked out great. Eventually I realized they were rolling over teams and their D had stepped up their play, so I might as well stick with them.

This year, I'm facing a similar decision on the Rams. They've been great (if a little boom or bust), and against Houston they're a no-brainer, but they have a tough schedule coming up after this week: @Min, NO, @AZ, Phi, @Sea, @Tenn. Only Cardinals are a plus match-up, with Tenn neutral and the rest ranging from negative to stay-the-hell-away.

I had been thinking of pairing them with Cinci, a decent defense on a bad overall team that has some great match-ups coming. But if Dez doesn't play this week, I may have to drop Cinci to pick up a WR, with no guarantee I'll be able to get them back. And I'm wondering if that would be such a bad thing.

I mean, no way I can see starting them vs. Philly. But if they're rounding into form, that might make them worth rolling out in what would otherwise be negative match-ups like Minny or Seattle.
DET seems to have graduated every week starter this year though their standard deviation may be a little greater than JAX or even NO has been. PHI as well. Rams have been super solid, and have the talent to weather rough match ups but would look for other options to pair them during those hard weeks.

Cinci has been interesting to me as well, but they haven't been as stout this year, and my worry is that their offense seems to have something persistently wrong all year, which I don't have confidence will improve greatly -- this means their D has been and will continue to be on the field a lot more, which I think affects them to a degree that they are not as trustworthy as in years' past.

I'm in a weird defensive scoring league and I can't for the life of me find a D to stick with (transaction fee's)

I have the Chiefs now and they have 62 fantasy points.  About 22/32

We get 1pt per Sack, Int, FR and 1 pt per 15 yards of returned.

5 points for under 150 passing yards (rarely happens)

5 points for under 100 rushing yards allowed. (sometimes happens)

I have the Chiefs and 1 open roster spot.  Rams, Bears, Pats all available.

What's your take on the Bears D? 

Seems like they get a good push, have a lot of sacks, and part of the reason they've racked up FF points is defensive TDs (which are hard to count on happening every week.) But overall they seem pretty middle of the road in yards allowed and points allowed. Am I missing something? Are they really trending or coming together? The LBs looked awful in the Vikings game but seems like they've improved a bit since.

Hard to figure this Bears team out. They're less awful overall, but they have horrible deficiencies on offense. You would think a team that is building around it's defense and run game would want a good kicker, and Barth is lousy. Their play calling is like something out of the 50s. You wonder if they'll ever take the training wheels off.

This is the only game this week with an over/under in the 30s.
The defense has been pretty dominant since they played the Packers, outside of a couple plays. Front 7 has been a force. Fuller is playing at a Pro-bowl level at cb. Amukamara playing well at the other.  Safeties have started to come together very well.

Trevathan missed the Vikings game and Kwiatkowski was hurt also. Both are back now.  They've held pretty much every team in check since the Packers and Vikings games with little to no offense to help them.  And they've finally started forcing turnovers..  Top 10 in sacks. 

The problem, as you stated, is their offense u atrocious. 

The Titans D (and O) is well off projections statistically. Numbers-wise, they are due for an outstanding second half of the season. No starter other than Byard has an INT. Orakpo has like 1.5 sacks. There's plenty which you could look at and be like umm yeah they are way overdue

DET seems to have graduated every week starter this year though their standard deviation may be a little greater than JAX or even NO has been. PHI as well. Rams have been super solid, and have the talent to weather rough match ups but would look for other options to pair them during those hard weeks.

Cinci has been interesting to me as well, but they haven't been as stout this year, and my worry is that their offense seems to have something persistently wrong all year, which I don't have confidence will improve greatly -- this means their D has been and will continue to be on the field a lot more, which I think affects them to a degree that they are not as trustworthy as in years' past.
Yeah, Detroit may hit that point, especially given their great ROS match-ups.

I think the key is to continue paying attention and not get too locked into your prior assumptions. At this point last season no one was saying Atlanta had a great D, especially after Trufant went down. But they were actually playing really well.

Streaming is a solid strategy. But if you stumble on a weekly-start D, that's far preferable. Just don't get so focused on match-ups that you miss one that's already on your roster.

Trevathan looks like he may be out for the Bears. Shouldn't be a huge loss with Jones playing well and Kwiatkowski back, but it will hurt a little. Still, it's Brett Hundley and the Pack aren't running the ball against the Bears. 

CHI has allowed 8 passing TDs all season. 4 of those by Rodgers, only QB with multiple TDs. They have not allowed a passing TD in last 3 games.

Interesting.  I have Minn (vs Wash) this week, but notice both NE and CHI on the WW.  My league doesn't start dipping into the WW until Saturday - based on yearly/weekly trends.  I have a chance to jump in front of someone to grab one of NE or CHI.  Who would have the higher ceiling, assuming the floor is relatively equal for both (7-8 pts)?  CHI is interesting, and I've been streaming all season, so grabbing a one week play doesn't bother me.  With that said, NE's play the last month makes their ROS schedule very intriguing.  Is it worth dropping MINN for NE or CHI the rest of the way?

MINN - @Wash, LAR, @DET, @ATL, @CAR, CIN, @GB

NE - @DEN, @OAK, MIA, @BUF, @MIA, @PIT, BUF

CHI -  GB, DET, @PHI, SF, @CIN, @DET, CLE

I love the Bears but I'll never trust them over that many weeks. New England just gets better as they go along each season. 

I created a spreadsheet to see if I can find defensive pairings. It takes into account points allowed to DSTs over the past 5 weeks. If a box is highlighted in green it's a home game, yellow an away game. Clearly, I want to lean on home defenses if possible.

I had to use discretion and still count ARI, GB and CHI as plus match-ups (not sure about CHI) despite them not allowing many points to opposing DSTs lately. It's according Yahoo scoring settings as well.

Some that I like where the defenses are possibly widely available..

TEN + WAS

Week 10 - TEN vs. CIN

Week 11 - bad match-ups

Week 12 - TEN @ IND

Week 13 - TEN vs. HOU

Week 14 - TEN @ ARI

Week 15 - TEN @ SF or WAS vs. ARI

Week 16 - WAS vs. DEN

CHI + CIN

Week 10 - CHI vs GB

Week 11 - CIN @ DEN

Week 12 - CIN vs. CLE

Week 13 - CHI vs. SF

Week 14 - CIN vs. CHI or CHI @ CIN

Week 15 - bad match-ups

Week 16 - CHI vs. CLE

CIN + CAR

Week 10 - CAR vs. MIA or CHI vs. GB

Week 11 - CIN @ DEN

Week 12 - CIN vs. CLE

Week 13 - bad match-ups

Week 14 - CIN vs. CHI

Week 15 - CAR vs. GB

Week 16 - CAR vs. TB

CHI + BUF

Week 10 - CHI vs. GB

Week 11 - bad match-ups

Week 12 - bad match-ups

Week 13 - CHI vs. SF

Week 14 - BUF vs. IND

Week 15 - BUF vs. MIA

Week 16 - CHI vs. CLE

Interesting.  I have Minn (vs Wash) this week, but notice both NE and CHI on the WW.  My league doesn't start dipping into the WW until Saturday - based on yearly/weekly trends.  I have a chance to jump in front of someone to grab one of NE or CHI.  Who would have the higher ceiling, assuming the floor is relatively equal for both (7-8 pts)?  CHI is interesting, and I've been streaming all season, so grabbing a one week play doesn't bother me.  With that said, NE's play the last month makes their ROS schedule very intriguing.  Is it worth dropping MINN for NE or CHI the rest of the way?

MINN - @Wash, LAR, @DET, @ATL, @CAR, CIN, @GB

NE - @DEN, @OAK, MIA, @BUF, @MIA, @PIT, BUF

CHI -  GB, DET, @PHI, SF, @CIN, @DET, CLE
I’m starting to reconsider NE over keeping NO. What did you pick?

Users who are viewing this thread