What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For smaller leagues, draft K and Def earlier than 12 team league? (1 Viewer)

Frank Black

Footballguy
For 8 and 10 leagues that typically start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def, the conventional wisdom seems to be get as many difference making players at each position as you can. 

Instead of drafting backup players in rounds 13 and 14 that are unlikely to play for you (who also have similar talent level on the WW), why not use the 13 and 14 round to draft a stud K and Def?

Taking it a step further, why not draft a second good Def that you can stream with your first defense to exploit good matchups?

Depends on league, bench depth etc.

kicker can almost always wait until the last round 

Last edited by a moderator:
For 8 and 10 leagues that typically start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def, the conventional wisdom seems to be get as many difference making players at each position as you can. 

Instead of drafting backup players in rounds 13 and 14 that are unlikely to play for you (who also have similar talent level on the WW), why not use the 13 and 14 round to draft a stud K and Def?

Taking it a step further, why not draft a second good Def that you can stream with your first defense to exploit good matchups?
Is there such a thing?

Is there such a thing?
That's the million dollar question. For kickers, Gotkowski may be the only stud kicker. For defenses, there may be a small handful, with he understanding that Def performance changes from one season to the next. 

Pro-answer:   Don't play in leagues with Kickers and Defenses.   More random than skill positions and aren't nearly as fun.   Once you eliminate them from your leagues you will understand.   I play in all formats, dynos, redrafts, salary caps, salary cap dynos, etc.   Once you get rid of them you will never go back.   If you want defense go to IDP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker, no.

Defense, I think it's been shown that year to year the top defenses can change drastically. You don't really have a good view until a couple weeks in. 

So the conventional wisdom to me would be not to waste time or picks on K and Def. Use the last 2 rounds on it and adjust accordingly week to week. I'd rather take a shot on hitting on a productive WR or RB in the mid to late rounds.

I'm in a Q-R-W-T-F-F-K-D and only 4 bench spot ppr league.

12 rounds.

I see D's start going in the late 7 or 8th round.

K's 10th or 11th.

Most of them get dropped because we have 4 bench spots.

That's the million dollar question. For kickers, Gotkowski may be the only stud kicker. For defenses, there may be a small handful, with he understanding that Def performance changes from one season to the next. 
In our fairly standard scoring system, Gostkowski went from K1 to K13 last year.

I understand that K and Def can be unpredictable, but in a smaller league, should we do more than draft with a crap shoot approach?

Waiting until the last rounds seems to be the same as crap shoot because at that point, you're stuck with very limited options depending on your draft position. 

If I'm in the last three rounds of a draft and no kickers have been taken I might take Tucker there before the run starts.  The reason why is because it's most likely a kicker run will start allowing all the other position players to fall to me the next round.  Might as well get the player I find to be the best kicker if it's not going to affect me getting any other players.  I don't do this with defense because there are always too many people drafting them too early, like the 9th round.

D-  no because there will be less Ds owned so streaming will be easier.

K- same. 

Neither should be drafted unless you are drafting the day before the season starts.

The more teams, the more valuable the difference makers. For smaller leagues, there really is not that much different in the Top 8 PK's or Defenses. I am currently drafting in a 32 team league. Huge difference, as there won't be options on the waiver wire to choose from.

I understand that K and Def can be unpredictable, but in a smaller league, should we do more than draft with a crap shoot approach?

Waiting until the last rounds seems to be the same as crap shoot because at that point, you're stuck with very limited options depending on your draft position. 
Streaming isn't a crapshoot at all. 

No matter the size of the league, I don't see a problem with drafting a K and/or D a couple rounds before the end of the draft.  I like to target a couple specific Ds/Ks based on their week one match up and I'll "reach" for them a round or two before the end of the draft.  The RB/WR at that point aren't starting for you any time soon, but the D and K are starting week one.  I like this better than grabbing the next D/K in the run in the last two rounds.

No matter the size of the league, I don't see a problem with drafting a K and/or D a couple rounds before the end of the draft.  I like to target a couple specific Ds/Ks based on their week one match up and I'll "reach" for them a round or two before the end of the draft.  The RB/WR at that point aren't starting for you any time soon, but the D and K are starting week one.  I like this better than grabbing the next D/K in the run in the last two rounds.
In a draft that doesn't force you to fill every position I like to skip drafting a K and sometimes even a D.  My drafts are always 2 and 3 weeks before the first game so I need to make sure I'm getting as many RBs and WRs as possible in case an injury happens.  Right before kickoff of the first game I will pick up a K and drop the most worthless player on my team.

Users who are viewing this thread