What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Van being driven by a man intentionally hits pedestrians- Ramblas in Barcelona: at least 13 dead, 50 injured. 2nd man in van attempt thwarted. It's te (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
from Al-jazeera

A van has ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona's busy tourist area, police said.

The incident took place in the early evening on Thursday at the city's iconic Ramblas area, which is full of shops and restaurants. 

Police said several people had been injured.

Video posted to social media showed emergency services at the scene.

Metro and train stations have been asked to closed, according to reports.

People have been warned against travelling to Placa Catalunya.

More details soon...
edit to update title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reports of 2 armed men in a restaurant?

This could get ugly
yikes...haven't seen that yet. a couple of sources are saying 2 dead... but it's sources like the telegraph, so I'll post the latest reuters (fact based news) below. t&p for barcelona right now. 

MADRID (Reuters) - A van crashed into dozens of people in the centre of Barcelona on Thursday and several people were injured, police in the Spanish city said.

Police described the incident on Twitter as a "massive crash". Emergency services said people should not go to the area around the city's Placa Catalunya, and requested the closure of nearby train and metro stations.

El Pais newspaper said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after mowing down dozens of people.

While full details of the incident were not immediately clear, since July 2016 vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of militant attacks across Europe, killing well over 100 people in Nice, Berlin, London and Stockholm.

In recent weeks, threatening graffiti against tourists has appeared in Barcelona, which draws at least 11 million visitors a year.

In one video released under the slogan "tourism kills neighbourhoods", several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tyres and spray-painted the windscreen.

In one video released under the slogan "tourism kills neighbourhoods", several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tyres and spray-painted the windscreen.
I spent a couple weeks in a cheap hostel in Las Ramblas many years ago. I don't think It was the tourists killing that neighborhood, not that it was dying. Hookers were 500 pesetas. Thankfully, even that next to nothing cost was too much for me at the time.

I spent a couple weeks in a cheap hostel in Las Ramblas many years ago. I don't think It was the tourists killing that neighborhood, not that it was dying. Hookers were 500 pesetas. Thankfully, even that next to nothing cost was too much for me at the time.
Cheap hookers love Las Ramblas at night.  First time in Barcelona I went out drinking with some people from the hostel.  One of the guys walked back by himself and got handcuffed to a bench by one of the more aggressive hookers and had to pay 20 euros to be let out. :lol:  

latest from Reuters

BARCELONA (Reuters) - A van crashed into dozens of people in the center of Barcelona on Thursday and Spanish media said at least two people were killed.

Police said several people were injured and described the incident on Twitter as a "massive crash". A police spokesman said he could not confirm any deaths or that the incident was being treated as terrorism.

Soon afterwards, Spain's El Periodico newspaper reported that two armed men were holed up in a bar in Barcelona's city center, and reported gunfire in the area, although it did not cite the source of the information.

It was not immediately clear whether the incidents were connected.

Following the van crash, emergency services said people should not go to the area around Barcelona's Placa Catalunya, one of the city's main squares at the top of the famous Las Ramblas avenue, and requested the closure of nearby train and metro stations.

El Pais newspaper said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after mowing down dozens of people.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was in contact with authorities, and the priority was to attend to the injured.

Armed police officers patrol an empty street, after a van crashed into pedestrians near the Las Ramblas avenue in central Barcelona, Spain August 17, 2017, in this still image from a video obtained from social media. Courtesy of INSTAGRAM / @pavel_lisovtsov/via REUTERS

The incident took place at the height of the tourist season in Barcelona, which is one of Europe's top travel destinations with at least 11 million visitors a year.

While full details of the van incident were not immediately clear, vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of militant attacks across Europe since July 2016, killing well over 100 people in Nice, Berlin, London and Stockholm.

Armed police officers patrol an empty street, after a van crashed into pedestrians near the Las Ramblas avenue in central Barcelona, Spain August 17, 2017, in this still image from a video obtained from social media. Courtesy of INSTAGRAM / @pavel_lisovtsov/via REUTERS

Witness Ethan Spibey told Britain's Sky News: "All of sudden it was real chaos. People just started running screaming, there were loud bangs. People just started running into shops, there was a kind of mini-stampede where we were, down one of the alleyways."

He said he had taken refuge with dozens of other people in a nearby church.

"They've locked the doors because I'm not sure whether the person who may have done it has actually been caught, so they've locked the doors and told people just to wait in here."

In recent weeks, threatening graffiti against tourists has appeared in Barcelona. In one video released under the slogan "tourism kills neighborhoods", several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tyres and spray-painted the windscreen.

The deadliest recent attack in Spain was in March 2004, when Islamist militants placed bombs on commuter trains in Madrid, killing 191 people and wounding more than 1,800.

jfc... I'm not going to get into the politics of this, but FAIR WARNING- THE VIDEOS LINKED ARE REALLY GRAPHIC :(  

just horrible :(  
They are absolutely awful...

And i didn't mean for that to turn this political but those vidoes are shocking for a mainstream source

reports of 13 dead.

smh...
interesting watching the news come in ("interesting" only in a study of the media, not regarding these horrible events)... my news page through google has a lot of different outlets reporting on this. only 1 has reports of 13 dead- "news18".

not saying- especially given that horrible video above- that the numbers won't climb, but for now reputable news outlets are still reporting anywhere from "at least 1" "reports of 2" and "multiple". that news18 report cites a local radio station.. fwiw.

interesting watching the news come in ("interesting" only in a study of the media, not regarding these horrible events)... my news page through google has a lot of different outlets reporting on this. only 1 has reports of 13 dead- "news18".

not saying- especially given that horrible video above- that the numbers won't climb, but for now reputable news outlets are still reporting anywhere from "at least 1" "reports of 2" and "multiple". that news18 report cites a local radio station.. fwiw.
Got my 13 from a service we use at work that provides situational awareness. They monitor media, social media, emergency scanners, etc. They are incorrect sometimes. Hopefully this will be one of those times but that video looks pretty bad, the parts I could actually watch.

Got my 13 from a service we use at work that provides situational awareness. They monitor media, social media, emergency scanners, etc. They are incorrect sometimes. Hopefully this will be one of those times but that video looks pretty bad, the parts I could actually watch.
from al jazeera, who I find to be usually pretty good about their reporting. they also cite the radio station (which is hopefully wrong) along with a local paper.

but that video :(  .... lots of immobile bodies there. definitely more than 2.  ####. 

At least a dozen people have been killed and more were injured after a white van ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona's busy tourist area, according to local media.

Citing police sources, Cadena Ser radio station said 13 were killed. However, Spanish newspaper El Pais reported the number of casualties at 10.

Police also confirmed fatalities from Thursday's apparent attack, but did not disclose the number of people who were killed.

The incident took place in the early evening on Thursday at the city's iconic Las Ramblas area, which is full of shops and restaurants.

Police have classified the van incident as a "terrorist attack", and said at least 20 people were injured.

A local police source told AFP they were hunting for a total of two suspects.

Earlier reports said that two perpetrators of the crash were holed up in a bar in Tallers Street, yet there was no immediate police confirmation of the report.

from al jazeera, who I find to be usually pretty good about their reporting. they also cite the radio station (which is hopefully wrong) along with a local paper.

but that video :(  .... lots of immobile bodies there. definitely more than 2.  ####. 
Emergency services just reported 1 dead per the guardian

Agree - It's gonna be more than 2...I already wish I didn't watch that video.  I'm honestly done going to major tourist attractions like that for now. 

We live in an era that terrorism and politics are inseparable.

As for the content of the video, as heartbreaking as it is, everyone should watch it.

Having CNN tell you this was a "van accident" and 1 is dead is just plain propaganda. The Spanish police have been calling it a terrorist attack for over an hour and those videos clearly show double digits dead bodies, including young children.

What a sad day.
Emergency services reporting one dead

And i don't think there are any positives to desensitizing people to this type of violence.  Everything I have read started calling it a terrorist attack the minute Spain did.  

And please don't politize this thread.

Edit to add that even on the cnn website they were calling it a terror attack over an hour ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in an era that terrorism and politics are inseparable.

As for the content of the video, as heartbreaking as it is, everyone should watch it.

Having CNN tell you this was a "van accident" and 1 is dead is just plain propaganda. The Spanish police have been calling it a terrorist attack for over an hour and those videos clearly show double digits dead bodies, including young children.

What a sad day.
just checked CNN's website and they're calling it terrorism now. 

but having anybody say it's terror until local authorities say it is, is terrible reporting; I much prefer news outlets to hold off anything until it's verified. but not reporting it as such is poor reporting if it's been verified. perhaps CNN took too long to verify.

I completely disagree that people should watch that video of bodies lying broken and in pools of blood. what purpose do you think it serves? to show the ugly truth? reading about injuries and deaths serves the same purpose, IMO.

appears they're all getting it from the same original source- local radio station citing a local cop. 

really hoping it's inaccurate.
One person has been killed and 32 injured, Catalan police have just said in a news conference. Of the 32 injured, 10 are seriously injured, it was announced.

No way I'm watching that. 
Don't man....I've got a high curiosity and tolerance for these kinds of things...but there was just something about this one that really messed with me.  If kids are involved, it's a whole different vantage point for me.  I'm still messed up over that young Syrian refugee boy that they used to show who drown on the beach trying to escape.  I can't deal with kids being involved. 

Don't man....I've got a high curiosity and tolerance for these kinds of things...but there was just something about this one that really messed with me.  If kids are involved, it's a whole different vantage point for me.  I'm still messed up over that young Syrian refugee boy that they used to show who drown on the beach trying to escape.  I can't deal with kids being involved. 
Right there with you brother

One person has been killed and 32 injured, Catalan police have just said in a news conference. Of the 32 injured, 10 are seriously injured, it was announced.
one person "confirmed".  still haven't heard anything more about the driver or the supposed pair of gunmen with hostages.

By Associated Press August 17 at 1:24 PM

BARCELONA, Spain — The Latest on the van that ran into a crowd in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas district (all times local):

6:10 p.m.

A government official in Barcelona says one person has been confirmed dead and 32 others injured in the van attack in the city’s historic Las Ramblas district.

Catalonia’s regional interior chief Joaquim Forn said during a news conference on Thursday: “Unfortunately the number of fatalities will likely rise.”

Media in Barcelona are reporting that up to 13 died in the attack.

Barcelona police said on Twitter that 10 of the 32 people injured were seriously hurt.

A van mounted a sidewalk in the popular tourist area of Las Ramblas, slamming into a crowd of pedestrians on Thursday afternoon.

:thumbup:

original reports talk about the driver (singular) escaping on foot. hopefully that's all there is and he's caught. 

any other reports about the 2 gunmen and hostages?
I have read that the 'gunmen' component was just the internet going wild.  Police responded within 30 seconds some are saying.

from the BBC... and image of the route. didn't realize it was on the purely pedestrian part. ####.

At least one person died and 32 were injured - 10 of them seriously - after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona's famous Las Ramblas tourist area, police and local officials say.

The vehicle sped along the pedestrianised area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover in shops and cafes.

Witnesses said the van deliberately targeted people before stopping.

Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.

Spanish media reports said the driver of the vehicle - a white Fiat that had been rented in the city - fled on foot.

Other unconfirmed reports say the death toll is as high as 13.

The attack happened at the height of the season in one of Europe's top tourist destinations.

Vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of attacks across Europe since July last year.

Tom Markwell from New Orleans, who was just arriving in a taxi in Las Ramblas, said: "I heard a crowd screaming. It sounded like they were screaming for a movie star.

"I saw the van. It had already been busted on the front. It was weaving left and right, trying to hit people as fast as possible. There were people lying on the ground."

Aamer Anwar said he was walking down Las Ramblas, which was "jam-packed" with tourists.

"All of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids," he told Sky News.

"Police were very, very quickly there, police officers with guns, batons, everywhere. Then the whole street started getting pushed back.

"Police officers who got there just started screaming at people to move back, move back."

Kevin Kwast, who is on holiday in Barcelona with his family, said: "I was eating with my family in La Boqueria market very near where the crash occurred.

"Hundreds of people started stampeding through the market... we started running with them going outside right into where casualties were already on the ground.

"Police pushed us into a money transfer shop and we've been sheltering there for over an hour."

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was in contact with authorities, and the priority was to attend to the injured.

Did you feel the same way when the media plastered that dead refugee child on the beach across every platform? I seem to recall that image being a political prop for months.

Well you better not turn on your TV or computer. US politicians, the media, and keyboard jockeys have been foaming non-stop about the president's response to a terror attack in VA. Heck, the guys in the political forum here have a 100 page thread on it, and are so obsessed that they don't have a thread or single post about Barcelona.
Would you please just shut the ever-loving hell up

Did you feel the same way when the media plastered that dead refugee child on the beach across every platform? I seem to recall that image being a political prop for months.
I avoided that one too. didn't need to see it to realize what was and is going on in terms of refugees. 

not sure what point you're trying to make- that people should see the graphic horrors of these events, or that they're being used for political purposes, or something else? because it feels like you've got some agenda here.

Well you better not turn on your TV or computer. US politicians, the media, and keyboard jockeys have been foaming non-stop about the president's response to a terror attack in VA. Heck, the guys in the political forum here have a 100 page thread on it, and are so obsessed that they don't have a thread or single post about Barcelona.
Please, please go away

Users who are viewing this thread