What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M. Gordon or D. Freeman (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
How do you have these guys ranked?  If it came down to drafting either one of these guys near the end of the first round which would you chose?

Gordon's 3.9 YPC in 2016 is concerning but they are apparently switching blocking schemes to suit him better.  Plus is he really has zero competition at all for carries.

Freeman shares with Coleman but Freeman is the clear #1.  New OC and potential super bowl hangover are concerns.

Freeman's playoff match up might be the tie breaker for me:

Gordon WAS    @KC    @NYJ    

Freeman NO    @TB    @NO    

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't think the schedule is a big deal.  Sure at KC is a tough matchup but at TB is always a tough matchup for ATL.

Gordon is going to get more touches but Freeman will likely score more TDs.  So it's close by I go Gordon by a nose.

Gordon was TD dependent last season, a year in which he failed to topple 1000 yards ..

I'm trading him away in a keeper league, I think I rode the wave last year to the Title, and want to get off now while his value is sky high.

his 3.9 ypc scares the heck out of me..

Gordon was TD dependent last season, a year in which he failed to topple 1000 yards ..

I'm trading him away in a keeper league, I think I rode the wave last year to the Title, and want to get off now while his value is sky high.

This makes no sense. Gordon had 109ypg, Freeman had 96ypg

He caught 41 passes for 419, so that is not TD dependent in my eyes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeman has a better OL.

Gordon will be utilized more.

There's very little distinction between the two outside of that. They both play on high octane offenses. I expect them to be utilized similarly in the passing game, in the RZ and end with similar yardage totals despite differences in efficiency (I expect Gordon to carry the ball 30-50 times more than Freeman).

Speaking of the RZ, both were leaned on heavily last year. Gordon was utilized 60 times, Freeman 70 times (although Coleman did miss 3 games and might have siphoned off a couple of looks). Both teams were top 5 in RZ attempts per game. You have to imagine their TD floor/ceiling to be similar.

Ultimately I'd probably lean Freeman because I view him as less of an injury risk, especially since he won't touch the ball as much. There's also less of a chance of his OL completely ####ting the bed.

SameSongNDance said:
Freeman has a better OL.

Gordon will be utilized more.

There's very little distinction between the two outside of that. They both play on high octane offenses. I expect them to be utilized similarly in the passing game, in the RZ and end with similar yardage totals despite differences in efficiency (I expect Gordon to carry the ball 30-50 times more than Freeman).

Speaking of the RZ, both were leaned on heavily last year. Gordon was utilized 60 times, Freeman 70 times (although Coleman did miss 3 games and might have siphoned off a couple of looks). Both teams were top 5 in RZ attempts per game. You have to imagine their TD floor/ceiling to be similar.

Ultimately I'd probably lean Freeman because I view him as less of an injury risk, especially since he won't touch the ball as much. There's also less of a chance of his OL completely ####ting the bed.
Really respect your opinions on these forums....

Given all the uncertainties with RB's this year, would you bump up guys like Gordon and Freeman in the first round and consider taking them over the stud WR's like Julio and OBJ?  Wondering if a "positional scarcity" scenario should be considered as it is in fantasy baseball, or if that is simply overthinking things.

Really respect your opinions on these forums....

Given all the uncertainties with RB's this year, would you bump up guys like Gordon and Freeman in the first round and consider taking them over the stud WR's like Julio and OBJ?  Wondering if a "positional scarcity" scenario should be considered as it is in fantasy baseball, or if that is simply overthinking things.
Are you new to fantasy football? Essentially what you are asking about is VBD or Value Based Drafting.

Are you new to fantasy football? Essentially what you are asking about is VBD or Value Based Drafting.
Not new at all, been playing for almost 20 years.  It just seems like this year is extremely unique compared to previous years with the tremendous amount of questions regarding the RB situation, and for some reason it has thrown me for a loop as to how to approach this year, which I agree probably shouldn't.  My inclination is to move these guys up in the first round, as I really like the WR's available later, but I seem to be letting the name recognition factor cloud my judgement (plus the fact I'm a Giants fan is probably also coming into play with OBJ).  I really like both Gordon and Freeman, could come down to a coin flip for me between them.

I lean Gordon

• No one in backfield with Gordan to take away touches.
  • New OC in Atl bothers me.
  • Chargers were crippled by injures last year. They should be better offensively with a little luck avoiding the injury bug.
  • RZ rushes last year were equal @ 52 but Gordon played 3 less games.

I will take Freeman all day. One of the safest picks in the draft (assuming I just didn't jinx him). Great schedule. Great surrounding talent. Furgetaboutit. 

Users who are viewing this thread