What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King Books (1 Viewer)

MindCrime

Footballguy
tl;dr version- what are your Stephen King book recommendations 

I've never been a big reader, but trying to change that (in my 40's, I've found that it helps relax, de-stress, and sets a good example with the kids. ) Just finished "It", when I was younger I read Salems Lot. Made it part way through The Stand, 20+ years ago, may revisit it. With the disappointment with most of the tv and movie adaptations, I'm looking for recommendations on his books/series. 

What are your top 3? 5? 

Go....

(tried search, but you all know how that goes. I see a lot of topics based on movies, etc, but not an all inclusive book thread. If there is one, please link it. Tia)

What did you think of IT

You're gonna get a bunch of varying suggestions in here, but I would start with some of his short story collections. I think Different Seasons is a good entry point. 
I liked IT very much. I know some people have an issue with the end, but I thought it was fine. The character development throughout was awesome. 

I liked IT very much. I know some people have an issue with the end, but I thought it was fine. The character development throughout was awesome. 
I had zero problem with the end of that book (or The Dark Tower, for that matter). I think some people mix up the book with the awful '90s miniseries.

In no particular order, excluding the ones you've already mentioned (It, The Stand, Salem's Lot).......

Christine

Insomnia

11/22/63

Either Pet Sematary or The Shining would be good choices.

One of my favorites that never seems to get mentioned by others is The Talisman. I loved it as a teenager. 

To get more specific as to short stories (novellas)  I love by him--Battleground, The Raft. The Boogeyman, The Long Walk (loved this one), The Mist (I change my vote--this one is my favorite)  and of course obviously The Body (aka Stand by Me) and Rita Hayworth---Shawshank Redemption

1.  The Stand - my favorite book of all time - adaptation in 90s not as bad as It but I drool at the possibility of HBO turning this into a 6-8 part move/series

2.  It - close 2d....scared the hell out of me as a kid with awesome flushed out characters....horrific mini series which was more of a bad sitcom reunion (John Boy, Judge Harry, Venus Fly Trap, Jack Tripper....come on!) - Curry played a great Pennywise but looking forward to to the new one...not sure how they will deal with some interesting plot points that were obviously ignored by the miniseries but we'll see

3.  The Dragon's Eyes - never see this listed but man I love this book.....little game of thrones type world that hooks you in quick - if you havent read it yet take a look

4.  Misery - rare instance when the move was as good or even better than the book....Kathy Bates forever burned into my head but the book was very good too.  

5.  Thinner - great short story but powerful.....movie was only eh but the book was very good

6. Pet Semetary - sometimes dead is better - very freaky scary story.....

7.  The Shining - again rare better movie than book IMO

Personally, for someone starting out and is not a huge reader, I would say to try earlier and shorter books. I love:

1. The Shining

2. The Dead Zone

3. Carrie

Next would be stuff like Different Seasons, The Long Walk, Misery, Pet Cemetery. 

I would build up to the long winded stuff. 

Don't understand the love for the Dark Tower series.  I got about 1/2 way through book 3 and had to bail. 

ETA:  oops, just saw that the OP read IT.  If you can make it through that, you can make it through any of his books.  Not sure my answer changes though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorites, in order:

1. The Stand

2. It

3. The Dead Zone

4. Firestarter

5. Misery

6. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (1st novella from Different Seasons)

7. Cujo

8. Christine

9. The Langoliers (1st novella from Four Past Midnight)

10. The Drawing of the Three (2nd book of The Dark Tower)

11. The Shining

12. Carrie

13. Gerald's Game

14. The Mist (1st Novellla from Skeleton Crew)

15. The Green Mile

I'll echo the votes for The Long Walk, The Talisman, 11/22/63 and Mr. Mercedes.

Another one  I liked in my late teens that I haven't seen mentioned if The Dark Half.  I probably haven't read it in 25 years though, so I may think it sucks if I read it again now, but I read it several times back then.

I'll echo the votes for The Long Walk, The Talisman, 11/22/63 and Mr. Mercedes.

Another one  I liked in my late teens that I haven't seen mentioned if The Dark Half.  I probably haven't read it in 25 years though, so I may think it sucks if I read it again now, but I read it several times back then.
enjoyed the dark half as a teen....not so sure it would hold up now but worth a shot

I just want to say I am SOOOOO friggin jealous you have the Stephen King work of novels still to read. Started when I was 12. I am now 43. Would love to relive that part of the last 31 years. No regrets. 

Eta: Duma Key and Bag of Bones are underrated.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, it looks like many of the same novels, with everyone having a personal fav thrown in. 

To clarify, I am a big reader, just not a novel guy normally. Unfortunately my reading anymore is news reader type of stuff. The reason I never finished The Stand is because when I started reading it circa 1991, my father ended up in the hospital with an undiagnosed illness that took weeks to figure out, and longer to correct. Going home at night and reading about people dying of an unknown illness just creeped me out. To this day, I've wanted to go back and read it, but since my dad has passed 10+ years ago, I still associate that book with him, and I may never read it because of that.

i also realized that I read The Dark Half years ago, thought it was very good. I'm sure I'll get to most of these in time. 

i know I started this a book recommendation thread, but feel free to keep the discussion going. 

(Fyi- if you haven't bought a kindle and use your local library app to check out books for free without leaving the comfort of your home, you're doing it wrong. I love technology )

Thanks for all of the recommendations, it looks like many of the same novels, with everyone having a personal fav thrown in. 

To clarify, I am a big reader, just not a novel guy normally. Unfortunately my reading anymore is news reader type of stuff. The reason I never finished The Stand is because when I started reading it circa 1991, my father ended up in the hospital with an undiagnosed illness that took weeks to figure out, and longer to correct. Going home at night and reading about people dying of an unknown illness just creeped me out. To this day, I've wanted to go back and read it, but since my dad has passed 10+ years ago, I still associate that book with him, and I may never read it because of that.

i also realized that I read The Dark Half years ago, thought it was very good. I'm sure I'll get to most of these in time. 

i know I started this a book recommendation thread, but feel free to keep the discussion going. 

(Fyi- if you haven't bought a kindle and use your local library app to check out books for free without leaving the comfort of your home, you're doing it wrong. I love technology )
This is the one thing that I just can't give up.  For whatever reason, I need the feel and smell of books as I read.  Not nearly the same using my phone or kindle. 

No argument there.
Cool.  It's just a reason that I tell people to start with Different Seasons, as I think 1/2 of the Bachman Books are subpar King. 

To be fair:

1.  You don't find Rage much anymore, so it's a moot point.

2.  People are more likely to have seen Shawshank and Stand By Me, and the stories are a little redundant as you read them.

Cool.  It's just a reason that I tell people to start with Different Seasons, as I think 1/2 of the Bachman Books are subpar King. 

To be fair:

1.  You don't find Rage much anymore, so it's a moot point.

2.  People are more likely to have seen Shawshank and Stand By Me, and the stories are a little redundant as you read them.
Really I guess I'm just recommending the Long Walk.  I'd have to think about it before saying it definitively, but that might be my favorite King story.

Really I guess I'm just recommending the Long Walk.  I'd have to think about it before saying it definitively, but that might be my favorite King story.
For sure.  I just re-read this one recently and it really held up.  It is one of my favorite things King has written.  I remember liking Rage in HS, but also re-read that recently, and was surprised by how bad it was.

Will do.  I have been re-visiting a lot of his stuff recently.  (and trying newer stuff like Mr. Mercedes)
Have you read Bag of Bones or Duma Key?

I mentioned them earlier in thread, but I feel like they were the start of his swing back up in quality - particularly Bones.  It creeped me out quite a bit, which I hadn't felt since The Shining and Pet Semetary and It.  I also liked Under the Dome but I feel like me and Tim are the only ones that did.

For sure.  I just re-read this one recently and it really held up.  It is one of my favorite things King has written.  I remember liking Rage in HS, but also re-read that recently, and was surprised by how bad it was.
Didn't King take Rage off the market after Columbine?

Have you read Bag of Bones or Duma Key?

I mentioned them earlier in thread, but I feel like they were the start of his swing back up in quality - particularly Bones.  It creeped me out quite a bit, which I hadn't felt since The Shining and Pet Semetary and It.  I also liked Under the Dome but I feel like me and Tim are the only ones that did.
I have not.  I have huuuge King blind spot for the last 20 years+.  Read a ton in HS, but stopped reading him and novels in general for whatever reason.  Just getting back into him now and trying to catch up on stuff.  I have a ton of stuff that I got at a local library's 25cent sale - Mercedes, Dome, Gerald's Game, and about 10 others. 

Users who are viewing this thread