What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lessor Known Fruits You Enjoy (1 Viewer)

James Daulton

Footballguy
I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I'm sitting down with a plate of fried, salted plantains, and just enjoying the #### out of them.  Are any of you FBGs as experimental and willing to try fruit from other cultures as I am.

And fair warning, if this turns into "X is not really a fruit" thread, I'll stab a #####. 

And the weird thing about plantains is, the less ripe they look, the better they are.  You want them fairly brown (unlike bananas) so that when you fry them, their sweeter.  Cut into slices, fry in a little oil, flip, sprinkle judiciously with salt, delish.  And only like 350 calories per plantain. 

And the weird thing about plantains is, the less ripe they look, the better they are.  You want them fairly brown (unlike bananas) so that when you fry them, their sweeter.  Cut into slices, fry in a little oil, flip, sprinkle judiciously with salt, delish.  And only like 350 calories per plantain. 
They're 

a few seasons ago, Ugli fruit were great. last couple years they haven't been as tasty. waiting for them again this late winter and hoping for better things.

The least known fruit I eat is pretty well known and goes by the name of mango. I'm the guy who pays the premium for the stuff cut up at the store. 

james daulton. has he been said yet. yeah. him.

and lo-quats. used to grow wild in a couple spots growing up. or they were planted there and I just broke into peoples' yards to get at them. wild enough.

never heard of this- google makes them sound amazing.
"The taste is often described as more sour than an orange and less bitter than a grapefruit, however, and is more commonly guessed to be a lemon-tangerine hybrid." 

pretty much sums it up

the skin/lining/whatever that holds the meat of the fruit is a bit tough so i like to peel that off and eat just the meat. makes them a little messy but worth it.

eta: i actually think this is closer

"In fact, as a type of tangelo, the ugli fruit is actually a hybrid of the grapefruit (or pomelo) and the mandarin orange. The flavor is closer to the taste of an orange than the taste of a grapefruit, but it has a tangy note that oranges lack. Typically, these fruits are very juicy and sweet."

Last edited by a moderator:
They call them plantains if you are making the ripe/sweet ones...the less ripe ones that are smashed,  salted and fries are call tostones. 

They both taste awesome.

:thumbup:

Thanks for getting this thread back on track last few posters.  I was thinking I was going to have to go medieval on some FBGs for a while there. 

I don't really know what fruits are "lesser known" but I will say plums and pluots.  I've realized in the past couple years that I knew a lot of people that have never had either as I started passing out the ones from my trees.  Even if you have had them most people have likely never had a good one.  The ones at the supermarket suck.

Acai - I can't vouch for it but my kids have have been making a lot of acai bowls lately, they love them and it supposedly gives you all kinds of super powers.

Man, I've wanted to try this so bad. Where have you gotten yours from? You have to find them in some specialty farmer's market or something?
Cherimoya isn't difficult to find. Whole Foods, Sprouts, maybe even Kroger. But for durian you might have to go east. I had it in Singapore.

Why do you have to rent to the fruit?

Or is it fruit your renter knows.

This seems needlessly complicated.

I'm confused

Users who are viewing this thread