Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Lessor Known Fruits You Enjoy

I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I'm sitting down with a plate of fried, salted plantains, and just enjoying the #### out of them.  Are any of you FBGs as experimental and willing to try fruit from other cultures as I am.

And fair warning, if this turns into "X is not really a fruit" thread, I'll stab a #####. 

And the weird thing about plantains is, the less ripe they look, the better they are.  You want them fairly brown (unlike bananas) so that when you fry them, their sweeter.  Cut into slices, fry in a little oil, flip, sprinkle judiciously with salt, delish.  And only like 350 calories per plantain. 

23 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Durian, if you can stand the smell. Cherimoya, but avoid the seeds.

Man, I've wanted to try this so bad. Where have you gotten yours from? You have to find them in some specialty farmer's market or something?

26 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

And the weird thing about plantains is, the less ripe they look, the better they are.  You want them fairly brown (unlike bananas) so that when you fry them, their sweeter.  Cut into slices, fry in a little oil, flip, sprinkle judiciously with salt, delish.  And only like 350 calories per plantain. 

They're 

a few seasons ago, Ugli fruit were great. last couple years they haven't been as tasty. waiting for them again this late winter and hoping for better things.

16 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Cherimoya, AKA custard apple or sugar apple is one of my favorites. Creamy white sweet pulp.

55 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Plantains (or Richard Simmons, for that matter) are lesser known?

When was the last time anyone saw him?

The least known fruit I eat is pretty well known and goes by the name of mango. I'm the guy who pays the premium for the stuff cut up at the store. 

• Like 2

james daulton. has he been said yet. yeah. him.

and lo-quats. used to grow wild in a couple spots growing up. or they were planted there and I just broke into peoples' yards to get at them. wild enough.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

a few seasons ago, Ugli fruit were great. last couple years they haven't been as tasty. waiting for them again this late winter and hoping for better things.

never heard of this- google makes them sound amazing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

never heard of this- google makes them sound amazing.

"The taste is often described as more sour than an orange and less bitter than a grapefruit, however, and is more commonly guessed to be a lemon-tangerine hybrid." 

pretty much sums it up

the skin/lining/whatever that holds the meat of the fruit is a bit tough so i like to peel that off and eat just the meat. makes them a little messy but worth it.

eta: i actually think this is closer

"In fact, as a type of tangelo, the ugli fruit is actually a hybrid of the grapefruit (or pomelo) and the mandarin orange. The flavor is closer to the taste of an orange than the taste of a grapefruit, but it has a tangy note that oranges lack. Typically, these fruits are very juicy and sweet."

Edited by mr. furley

1 hour ago, James Daulton said:

They call them plantains if you are making the ripe/sweet ones...the less ripe ones that are smashed,  salted and fries are call tostones. 

They both taste awesome.

:thumbup:

19 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Pomegranate... although they're not for everyone.

This is one I don't get. A lot of work for a little payoff. You only eat the seeds? 

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Cherimoya tastes like candy.  

Thanks for getting this thread back on track last few posters.  I was thinking I was going to have to go medieval on some FBGs for a while there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

This is one I don't get. A lot of work for a little payoff. You only eat the seeds? 

Seeds have the juice within the "membrane"...  Like I said, they're not for everyone.

An older woman I know recently tried pomegranate for the first time and suffered an allergic reaction.

I like pitted dates. They remind my mouth of the texture and flavor of doughnuts.

I don't really know what fruits are "lesser known" but I will say plums and pluots.  I've realized in the past couple years that I knew a lot of people that have never had either as I started passing out the ones from my trees.  Even if you have had them most people have likely never had a good one.  The ones at the supermarket suck.

Acai - I can't vouch for it but my kids have have been making a lot of acai bowls lately, they love them and it supposedly gives you all kinds of super powers.

1 hour ago, ChainsawU said:

An older woman I know recently tried pomegranate for the first time and suffered an allergic reaction.

happened to a lady at my office, except to pineapple

her lips blew up like a horrible plastic surgery accident in about 15 minutes

33 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Not as lesser known - but my Mom makes some fantastic fig preserves.  I'm kind of meh on just figs by themself.

But is it lessor known?

• Like 1

I'm concerned with the lessee-known fruits. That's where you find the word on the street.  

3 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

Man, I've wanted to try this so bad. Where have you gotten yours from? You have to find them in some specialty farmer's market or something?

Cherimoya isn't difficult to find. Whole Foods, Sprouts, maybe even Kroger. But for durian you might have to go east. I had it in Singapore.

Why do you have to rent to the fruit?

Or is it fruit your renter knows.

This seems needlessly complicated.

I'm confused

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msommer said:

Why do you have to rent to the fruit?

Or is it fruit your renter knows.

This seems needlessly complicated.

I'm confused

You'll have to forgive him - he's an idiot.

• Like 1