Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oldmanhawkins

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday

Went back through 3 pages, but not the whole thread.  Sorry if it's been covered but thought some might like to know.

I rigged up my own "Peleton" for under 500.00.

Bought a Spin bike off Amazon.  $245.46
Sunny Health & Fitness Exercise Bike Premium Indoor Cycling with 40 LB Flywheel, Heavy Duty Crank and SPD Style / Caged Pedals - SF-B1509/C

Bought speed and cadence sensors for the pedals.  $69.99
Wahoo RPM Cycling Speed and Cadence Sensor, Bluetooth 

Bought an iPad and an iPhone holder for the handlebars. $35.00

Got the Peleton app for 12.99 a month.

You can take live classes or choose from their entire library.  The only difference is, you aren't on the leaderboard and you don't get any "shout outs".  But for the 2 thousand or so that I saved, I'm fine with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Deepster said:

Went back through 3 pages, but not the whole thread.  Sorry if it's been covered but thought some might like to know.

Sunny Health & Fitness Exercise Bike Premium Indoor Cycling with 40 LB Flywheel, Heavy Duty Crank and SPD Style / Caged Pedals - SF-B1509/C

You can take live classes or choose from their entire library.  The only difference is, you aren't on the leaderboard and you don't get any "shout outs".  But for the 2 thousand or so that I saved, I'm fine with that.

"DEEPSTER!  Welcome.  You are doing great.  KEEP IT UP DEEPSTER!"  There, that's your shout out.  Congrats.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

9 hours ago, Deepster said:

I was taking a pre-recorded Kendall Toole class and I got a "high five" from her during my ride. Are you hearing me, dude? A super hot chick pretended to touch my hand in a celebratory fashion. That was worth the two grand right there. 

Edited by phandango
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

On 1/13/2020 at 10:30 AM, Deepster said:

I did something similar, but went with a MaxKare. It has magnetic tension and the speed and cadence sensor already. I am in for $280. It arrived yesterday and is all put together. First ride is tonight.

• Like 2

Here's one thing I don't like: On the scenic rides, which I do about once a week, the buffering is beyond terrible. I have no issues basically with the classes, so it has nothing to do with my connection. On scenic rides, I would estimate the screen is frozen about 60% of the time, horrible quality but moving about 30% of the time, and working as it is supposed to about 10% of the time. It's ridiculous, and I don't understand why they don't work at all when I have no issues with the other programs.

Edited by BeTheMatch

18 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

Here's one thing I don't like: On the scenic rides, which I do about once a week, the buffering is beyond terrible. I have no issues basically with the classes, so it has nothing to do with my connection. On scenic rides, I would estimate the screen is frozen about 60% of the time, horrible quality but moving about 30% of the time, and working as it is supposed to about 10% of the time. It's ridiculous, and I don't understand why they don't work at all when I have no issues with the other programs.

Perhaps it’s a more data heavy feed at higher resolution.

When I bought my peloton the app didnt exist, the only option was the full setup.

4 hours ago, BeTheMatch said:

Google peloton bike stream quality issues. A lot of people having similar problems, and there are some recommendations on reddit (r/pelotoncycle) like 

- turn off bluetooth.  (If this works you can get a thing that plugs into your headphone jack and does bluetooth for you) 

- uninstall the app and reinstall it

- get a better router.  Or use your router correctly. There's a setting on eero routers that controls caching.  Might help.  

- hard wire to ethernet.  The old plug in kind that looks like a fat phone wire. Back when phones were a thing. 

- call peloton support. This is last because everyone hates calling support lines. 

14 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Google peloton bike stream quality issues. A lot of people having similar problems, and there are some recommendations on reddit (r/pelotoncycle) like 

- turn off bluetooth.  (If this works you can get a thing that plugs into your headphone jack and does bluetooth for you) 

- uninstall the app and reinstall it

- get a better router.  Or use your router correctly. There's a setting on eero routers that controls caching.  Might help.  

- hard wire to ethernet.  The old plug in kind that looks like a fat phone wire. Back when phones were a thing. 

- call peloton support. This is last because everyone hates calling support lines. 

I'll try turning off bluetooth. I don't use it anyway. Thanks

Mine comes on Wednesday.  Can’t wait to get started.  

51 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Broke through 500 output for a ten second sprint at the end of a 45 minute ride today. Cannot imagine hitting that regularly during a ride. 

What????? What two numbers got you that output?

1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Broke through 500 output for a ten second sprint at the end of a 45 minute ride today. Cannot imagine hitting that regularly during a ride. 

I hit 1,014 yesterdaay

No idea what happened. I can assure you I was not working that hard. 

I did the furst two power zone rides in the programs section today. Really like the idea. Plan to take the test tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, BeTheMatch said:

What????? What two numbers got you that output?

110-120 rpm with mid 50s resistance (56, I think). The Denis Morton 45 minute 80s rock ride ended with three 12 second sprints, and he said to empty the tank on the last one, so I did. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:33 PM, Lehigh98 said:

KPQW3M

For every Peloton Bike or Tread purchased using your unique referral code, you’ll receive up to $100 off your next purchase at the online Peloton Boutique. The person you referred will receive $100 towards accessories at purchase.

Let me know if you have any questions about the bike.

Just made the purchase, used your code. Now I wait for delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:30 AM, Deepster said:

Super interested in this. I have zero interest in any leaderboards or shout outs. 

What are the drawbacks to this plan?

Do you have links to the products you mentioned? Thanks for the help on this. 

Mine got delivered today.  First ride tomorrow.  Looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, memphis raines said:

Just made the purchase, used your code. Now I wait for delivery.

Thanks!  Let me know if you have any questions while you're getting started.

Awesome, I was going to give that a shot either with the trainer I got for my road bike (that I still have never used) or with an inherited spin bike we got when my GFIL passed away.  Ended up finding a reasonable deal on a used one and just pulled the trigger.  I do use the build-your-own approach and put my phone on our existing treadmill for classes every once in a while.  I can spare a grand or so but $4,000+ for the Peloton Tread seems a little crazy.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, BeTheMatch said:

I've done a couple and haven't had any issues.  If the scenery would change speed with your pedaling I'd be more interested.

6 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Mine got delivered today.  First ride tomorrow.  Looking forward to it. 

:highfive:

New updates for the Power Zone guys or anyone interested...

Two new trainers just added in addition to Matt and Dennis: Christine and Olivia 😍.  One of the limitations to PZ in the past was fewer live rides available and not much variety.  I like Matt but not a huge fan of his untz music preferences so have been riding mostly with Dennis.  Looking forward to new options.

Power Zone Pack (https://powerzonepack.com) / (https://www.facebook.com/groups/powerzonepack/) is growing like crazy.  Evidently Christine has a huge following already and they are trying out PZ now too.  The latest Challenge (multi-week event with teams, goals, raffles, prizes) is in week one and has a ton of teams and riders.  It's a fun little side thing with teams creating their own team names, logos, and facebook pages to discuss rides, etc.  You pick 3, 4, or 5 rides per week and get a team.  Hit your goal or you can ask for the team to donate a ride to cover for you or go over and above and donate rides to others.  Got my 13yo to join a team with me to help him with fitness for soccer and XC offseason.  Would be cool to get some FBG's in a group next time, let me know if your interested or want more info.

Oh, by the way, what are your leaderboard names so I can add?  I'm Lehigh98 there too.

Edited by Lehigh98
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

Two new trainers just added in addition to Matt and Dennis: Christine and Olivia 😍.  One of the limitations to PZ in the past was fewer live rides available and not much variety.  I like Matt but not a huge fan of his untz music preferences so have been riding mostly with Dennis.  Looking forward to new options.

Power Zone Pack (https://powerzonepack.com) / (https://www.facebook.com/groups/powerzonepack/) is growing like crazy.  Evidently Christine has a huge following already and they are trying out PZ now too.  The latest Challenge (multi-week event with teams, goals, raffles, prizes) is in week one and has a ton of teams and riders.  It's a fun little side thing with teams creating their own team names, logos, and facebook pages to discuss rides, etc.  You pick 3, 4, or 5 rides per week and get a team.  Hit your goal or you can ask for the team to donate a ride to cover for you or go over and above and donate rides to others.  Got my 13yo to join a team with me to help him with fitness for soccer and XC offseason.  Would be cool to get some FBG's in a group next time, let me know if your interested or want more info.

Oh, by the way, what are your leaderboard names so I can add?  I'm Lehigh98 there too.

I just discovered power zone last week. 

I did the first week on the powerzone programs link on the screen

I wouldnt mind joining your group, but break it down for me like I am an idiot. I will add you

56 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

Yeah excited about additions as not a huge Matt fan either though not a huge Christine fan as I did a long climb rider with her once and she was taking breaks in it.  I hate getting preached at by the instructors and they are not riding.  I can imagine they are dialed back a little from what we are doing so they can talk but at least peddle and pretend.  Haven't done an Olivia ride yet but plan to check her out.   

I turned to Peloton when my running career came to a sudden halt, and for me Power Zone rides provide the best way to replicate my former running routine of a couple of easy/medium/hard runs per week. Wilpers has been my guy, but yeah, his music is a little bit weak. I'd rather suffer through that than Morton's overdone singing and hand-movement theatrics, though I think he's toned that stuff down some. I'm also pumped to see Christine D has joined the team. She is kind of the female version of Matt, an actual competitive athlete with a no-nonsense approach to her instruction, putting on a show not a priority. Music leaves something to be desired though.

Along the same vein, if you like PZ classes try Jess King's Sweat Steady rides. Similar to PZ, with long intervals of increasing intensity. She does one 30 and one 45 min version of these every week, huge library of them available on-demand. They are a grind but leave you feeling afterwards like you got some work done.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I just discovered power zone last week. 

I did the first week on the powerzone programs link on the screen

I wouldnt mind joining your group, but break it down for me like I am an idiot. I will add you

Too late to sign up for this one but they run several per year.

From the PZP page... (and here is a good PDF three page overview)

So.... you joined a PZ Challenge. WHAT DID YOU SIGN UP FOR??
Hey all - The picture here is the official challenge rules!

Super Simple Rules (but please read full version, too)

1️⃣ 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️ Ride: All three assigned rides each week

2️⃣ 🤸‍♀️🤸‍♂️ Stretch: After every ride (MW/DM 5-min)

3️⃣ 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️ Get Credit:  the Facebook poll after each ride

4️⃣ 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ Ask for donations if you can't get all rides done

5️⃣ 🦸‍♀️🦸‍♂️ Help your team by donating rides (see picture)

Winner/Awards

Team with the highest percentage of rides done (including donations) wins, but there are award tiers for all teams (like "Hall of Fame" and "All Star") based on completion percentage.

A few details worth noting

• What are the rides like? The assigned rides will usually be two 45 minute rides + one 60 minute ride - don't worry if you've never ridden that long - you can definitely do it!

• How hard will the rides be? This challenge is primarily focused on "building base", so it will have a lot of Power Zone Endurance rides (Zones 2/3). The challenge weeks follow an intensity structure something like 123231 (where 3 is hardest, and one is easiest) - so first week is easy, then a little harder, then a little harder, then some recovery in week 4, then hit week 5 hard, then finally recover in week 6 to prepare for your final FTP test.

• Live ride substitution: There will be options to substitute live rides for assigned rides - we'll share details for that later - watch this page for it!

Let's do this!

Edited by Lehigh98

12 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Super interested in this. I have zero interest in any leaderboards or shout outs. 

What are the drawbacks to this plan?

Do you have links to the products you mentioned? Thanks for the help on this. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAT438C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5YTO5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3OV111/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Cycling-Cadence-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B01E0YRQIA/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3F8HR6T2UYU51&dchild=1&keywords=wahoo+speed+and+cadence+sensor&qid=1579808701&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=wahoo+%2Csporting%2C233&sr=1-4

Here you go, Joe.  On the app, you can filter archived classes and that's what I do most of the time.  You filter the time (10, 20, 30, 45, 60), levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Cardio, Advanced) and the music type and the applicable classes pop up.  You can take live classes if you want, but they start at set times and if it's 5:35 am, I don't feel like waiting until 5:45 to start so I just pull up an old class.

The downside for me?  The instructors are a little forced and super cool and constantly say inspirational things like "You made the choice to get on this bike today.  You are better than you were yesterday!  You're amazing!"  And I roll my eyes at that garbage.  But you work up a good sweat every time.

Edited by Deepster

On 1/23/2020 at 9:07 AM, Lehigh98 said:

I’m interested. I’m the Scott user that just followed you.

Edited by TheWalkmen

4 hours ago, Deepster said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAT438C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5YTO5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3OV111/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Cycling-Cadence-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B01E0YRQIA/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3F8HR6T2UYU51&dchild=1&keywords=wahoo+speed+and+cadence+sensor&qid=1579808701&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=wahoo+%2Csporting%2C233&sr=1-4

Here you go, Joe.  On the app, you can filter archived classes and that's what I do most of the time.  You filter the time (10, 20, 30, 45, 60), levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Cardio, Advanced) and the music type and the applicable classes pop up.  You can take live classes if you want, but they start at set times and if it's 5:35 am, I don't feel like waiting until 5:45 to start so I just pull up an old class.

The downside for me?  The instructors are a little forced and super cool and constantly say inspirational things like "You made the choice to get on this bike today.  You are better than you were yesterday!  You're amazing!"  And I roll my eyes at that garbage.  But you work up a good sweat every time.

Chain or belt?

5 hours ago, Deepster said:

@Deepster!  Thanks for being here in this little thing we call the FFA today. You made the choice to join this community and it has made us all the better for it.  And looking back, your posting is getting better and better each day.  I know there are times when you don’t want to post, but gosh darn, it is inspiring to see you buck up, put those sausage fingers to the keyboard and put in the work that many just won’t do.  YOU’RE AMAZING!  keep it up, Deepster!

Hey Deepster, can I stop these Shout Outs?  Quite frankly, they are exhausting. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:30 AM, Deepster said:

Does the resistance on your unit match up with the Peleton?  So when they say to crank up to 40-45 resistance, does that number match wherever resistance unit you are using?  Or do you make a calculation in your head?

8 hours ago, Deepster said:

Awesome. Thanks Buddy. Super helpful.

For the guys who are fans of Peloton, what do you see as the downside of the hacked version like this?

7 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

For the guys who are fans of Peloton, what do you see as the downside of the hacked version like this?

You have zero idea about how hard you should be working. When they give you cadence and resistance they do it for a reason. You will be guessing and get no where near the workout you should. 

I know this because I used a bike at work once when i knew I wouldnt be able to ride at home. It wasnt great and I knew what those numbers felt like. 

Seems pretty irrelevant to me if you going at the exact resistance or rpm or wattage or whatever measurement you choose as what they're saying in the video.   Just getting on the bike and doing the workout is most of the battle for most people.   If you want to make sure you're working hard enough, just strap on a heart rate monitor.  If you're in the 170's, you're working plenty hard.

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

Seems pretty irrelevant to me if you going at the exact resistance or rpm or wattage or whatever measurement you choose as what they're saying in the video.   Just getting on the bike and doing the workout is most of the battle for most people.   If you want to make sure you're working hard enough, just strap on a heart rate monitor.  If you're in the 170's, you're working plenty hard.

That is fine, but you dont really need to spend any money on the app if that is what you are going to do

Just jump on a bike and hit a HR of 170

It might be irrelevant to you, but it does make a difference. Especially on the powerzone rides and I am sure a few others as well

3 hours ago, AcerFC said:

You have zero idea about how hard you should be working. When they give you cadence and resistance they do it for a reason. You will be guessing and get no where near the workout you should. 

I know this because I used a bike at work once when i knew I wouldnt be able to ride at home. It wasnt great and I knew what those numbers felt like. 

There are some HRZ rides so could use those pretty well to mirror a workout. Otherwise, I agree it would be tough to really match the workout. 

My personal advice for anyone considering one is go do a spin class. If you really like it and envision it being your primary workout then go make the luxury purchase of one. For me it is a good one since if I run on a regular basis it hurts my back and I truly hate elliptical machines.  Also I have 4 friends who have one and we have text change going to discuss rides, etc. and we do live rides together which keeps me motivated.   

There is also a slightly cheaper competitor out there as an option that folks could look into.

Edited by Redwes25

43 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

That is fine, but you dont really need to spend any money on the app if that is what you are going to do

Just jump on a bike and hit a HR of 170

It might be irrelevant to you, but it does make a difference. Especially on the powerzone rides and I am sure a few others as well

The classes obviously have a lot of fluctuation in effort.   You can just fluctuate your effort and thus your heart rate with that.   If you really want to drop the extra coin to get the extra precision, go for it.  I just don't think its necessary if you're looking to get in shape.   The real struggle is finding the motivation to put in the work day in and day out.     In addition, the classes will break the monotony of riding a spin bike for X number of minutes and push you more than if you were just listening to music or watching tv. 

Stayed at the Westin Time Square this week and noticed they had 3 Peleton bikes in their gym. After about 15 minutes on the treadmill I decided to hop on a Peleton and see what all the fuss was about. While they had a profile login and password attached to the bike , I just created my own profile and logged in. Well, that was easy. After a look around the interface, I decided to try one of the pre-recorded intro rides (30 min. Sweat Steady Ride with Jess King). Wow, that was pretty awesome and was a heck of a workout.

Later that day, my co-worker messaged me and said she was going to go to the Peleton Studio in NY for the 9:30a class the following day and wanted to know if I wanted to join. Unfortunately, I had a lunch meeting so the timing wouldn't work but instead, I decided to head back to the gym at the hotel and take the same class there (30 minute Intervals and Arms Ride with Emma Lovewell). At least that way I could just shoot up to my room, take a shower and head out afterwards.

I logged back in a few minutes before the class started and saw my co-worker go into the studio and warm up. That was kind of cool. Once the ride started, the lights went down and I couldn't see anything other than the instructor. They said it was fun to do it in person so I may try that next time I'm in New York. I think she said it was $20.

So now I have a login, can I continue to take classes if I continue to stay at Westins that have Peletons? At this point, I didn't have to sign up for anything, didn't pay for the app, nothing. If you can get access to a bike (that someone has presumably paid for, in this case, the hotel), the rides are free?

7 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

There is also a slightly cheaper competitor out there as an option that folks could look into.

NordicTrack? Just saw a commercial for it online and thought it was Peleton until the very end when they showed the logo.

2 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

So now I have a login, can I continue to take classes if I continue to stay at Westins that have Peletons? At this point, I didn't have to sign up for anything, didn't pay for the app, nothing. If you can get access to a bike (that someone has presumably paid for, in this case, the hotel), the rides are free?

Yes - we have three at our gym in my office, there are probably 20 folks who use them regularly and don't pay for anything.

3 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

NordicTrack? Just saw a commercial for it online and thought it was Peleton until the very end when they showed the logo.

I was thinking echelon that Acer just posted. 

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

Well, you’re not supposed to be in the 170s throughout the workout. I definitely think this workaround approach works, but I would think it would be a suboptimal user experience and likely not maximize your workout. On the former, I think you will have to constantly be running computations in your head to translate the Peleton numbers (output, resistance, cadence) to the numbers for your unit which would be a pain (but might become second nature after a while).

Not sure if the alternatives offer historical tracking of your workout output/intensity, but that’s another plus to Peloton.  I also wouldn’t totally discount the leaderboard; I always have a target to be in the top X% of participants in terms of output, and it’s an effective additional motivating factor.

5 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Sorry for the dumb question. 

Are you saying this is because the Peloton measures power output? In wattage? And the workaround solution doesn't have a way to measure power? When I was training for traithlons, I had a Powertap on my bike for this.

12 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I'm in my mid-40s. I've always hated working out. Like, HATE it. We paid around $1800 for a treadmill in 2012 when my wife wanted one. I thought it was a waste of money. She used it in spurts -- a few months here, then dormant for another few. About three years ago, I started using it every weekday. I ran 2.5 miles on it, consistently. Man, I hated it, but I did it. The treadmill could obviously change speeds or you could raise the incline. I didn't do any of that. I just jogged/ran while it was flat, same speed every time.

In October, my wife ordered the Peloton. I was wrong about the treadmill -- it wasn't a waste of money, after all -- but I wasn't convinced the Peloton was worth it. I didn't argue, though, because I was curious about it, and I was getting all sorts of ailments (sore knees, sore feet) that I figured was from running. I'd never taken a spin class. I've done video workouts and stuff, all at home, and the reason I stuck to running was because it's the best way I've found to get exercise and keep my weight down.

I started Peloton every weekday since October and have stopped running. My knees don't hurt. I can track my progress by doing the same pre-recorded class once a month and comparing my output to see how I've improved each time. I'm working out harder than I did while running because I'm listening to instructors and pushing much more than I did on the treadmill. The front of my T-shirt is usually drenched by the end. My thigh muscles are sore -- the good kind, when you know you're working muscles that don't always get used. My weight is even slightly lower than when I was running, even though my diet is unchanged. 

I don't know what the hacked version would be like because I've only ever used a Peloton bike. But I'm the type of person who will pay more if I know there's a much higher chance everything will work correctly. At the same time, I'm incredibly resistant to making large purchases. If I'm going to do it, I want to be sure it's worth it. I really think the Peloton is worth it, and because I hate wasting money, there's the extra motivation that if I don't use it every day, then there's a good chance we paid $2000 for a decorative workout bike for the garage.

• Like 4

Went to ride it today and the screen won’t turn on so that’s great. 30 days old. 

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

Sorry for the dumb question. 

Are you saying this is because the Peloton measures power output? In wattage? And the workaround solution doesn't have a way to measure power? When I was training for traithlons, I had a Powertap on my bike for this.

Still got a bike?  If so, and you're itching to spend a few hundred for some type of workout setup, look into "Zwift".  I've been doing it now for over a year and love it.  So does my wife (we have only one trainer and occasionally fight over who gets to use it when).  Very different from Peloton, but much more up my alley.  Lots of triathlon guys on there. 

Measures time, speed, distance, power, more importantly watts per kilogram which determines speed over course, heartrate (with appropriate sensor), calories burned, (virtual) feet/meters climbed.  Huge community (over 16k concurrent users at one point last week).  "Real world" courses, "fake world" courses.  Very different, but similar.

Edited by matttyl
  • Thanks 1