What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (4 Viewers)

Just re-did my FTP test ride and my output was over 50 points higher.  Really excited in the improvement in my fitness (not too excited about making the PZ riders harder especially long endurance rides I really enjoy).  

Just re-did my FTP test ride and my output was over 50 points higher.  Really excited in the improvement in my fitness (not too excited about making the PZ riders harder especially long endurance rides I really enjoy).  
How do you find this info out. I know I went up but i dont know how much

You take the 20 min FTP Test ride, train for several weeks, take it again, compare Total Output from each test. He did this and his output went up 50, which is great.

I checked my old level before I did the new test.  You could also check your old ride where you did the initial test since they keep all those records on the App.  

Well worth it, the PZ rides are the best - always know what you’re getting into.
I have found that this is my go to ride. I enjoy all 4 of the trainers (my order is Wilpers, Christine, Olivia, Dennis) and I like the idea that training with endurance days is supposed to make you stronger. 

To mix it up, the other day I did a tabata ride with Robin. Toughest ride Ive done. Beat my PB by 23. Not sure I could have done it without the PZ prep. 

Thinking of jumping on for Van de velde at 9. But I was supposed to do Wilpers 60 min PZ class. Decisions, decisions, decisions. 

Didn’t know about this FTP and Power Zone stuff. Reading up on it now!

we got our bike on Sat 2/8, basically a month, and I’ve been active 19 days. Again, I hadn’t worked out 19 times in totality the last several years. So this has been wild to start. 

initially I bought in just because I’m the type that wants to get his money’s  worth of an obscenely expensive gadget. But now I’m am addict. Wish I pulled the trigger sooner. 

i just bought a bike because i could not afford an addition overlooking an ocean or mountain range to my home in wisconsin take that to the bank bromigos

Never been happier about the Peloton purchase.  Instead of my normal 15-20 minute rides a few times a week, with no commute time I'm getting in longer rides almost every day (even with the kids at home). I'll probably come out of the lockdown in better shape than I've been in in years.  

Never been happier about the Peloton purchase.  Instead of my normal 15-20 minute rides a few times a week, with no commute time I'm getting in longer rides almost every day (even with the kids at home). I'll probably come out of the lockdown in better shape than I've been in in years.  
Wife insisted that we get one a few months back.  I thought it was dumb at the time because I thought she'd use it for a while, and then it would sit collecting dust.  I'm a marathon runner, so I run almost every single day.  Now with the whole WFH situation, I've started riding the Peloton for 30-45 minutes in the morning and running in the afternoon/evening.

If it wasn't for all the crap I'm eating while being trapped in the house all day, I'd totally agree with you about getting in amazing shape!

Any non power zone rides, my go to is Enma Lovewell. 
1.  Kendall Toole

2.  Leanne Hainsby

what kind of shoes you using? ive just been using running shoes but might look at the clips
It's a million times better when you use the clips.  That way you can "pull" the pedals back up in addition to pushing them down.  Way more power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife insisted that we get one a few months back.  I thought it was dumb at the time because I thought she'd use it for a while, and then it would sit collecting dust.  I'm a marathon runner, so I run almost every single day.  Now with the whole WFH situation, I've started riding the Peloton for 30-45 minutes in the morning and running in the afternoon/evening.

If it wasn't for all the crap I'm eating while being trapped in the house all day, I'd totally agree with you about getting in amazing shape!
I'll be curious to hear what if any effect you notice it has on your running performance. I started on the Peloton 2.5 yrs ago when running came to an abrupt halt due to knee injury. I feel like my legs now are so much more well equipped muscle/strength-wise to handle the pounding of running, if not for my #### joints. Wish I'd mixed it up when I could do both, might still be running.

1.  Kendall Toole

2.  Leanne Hainsby

It's a million times better when you use the clips.  That way you can "pull" the pedals back up in addition to pushing them down.  Way more power.
Im surprised as a marathon guy that you dont do powerzones. The endurance rides would be perfect for you 

I broke my foot on Nov 2nd. I was running a lot at that point. I did powerzone for 2 months and went on my first run last week. Did a 5K in 27::19. Sure the time is nothing to get stoked about, BUT, there was zero huffing and puffing. For not running for 5 months, I was blown away. Has to be powerzone. 

Im surprised as a marathon guy that you dont do powerzones. The endurance rides would be perfect for you 

I broke my foot on Nov 2nd. I was running a lot at that point. I did powerzone for 2 months and went on my first run last week. Did a 5K in 27::19. Sure the time is nothing to get stoked about, BUT, there was zero huffing and puffing. For not running for 5 months, I was blown away. Has to be powerzone. 
I’ve got a buddy who does those. I have to do a “test” first, right?

More importantly, do any of the hot instructors do Powerzone rides? Kendall’s backside has gotten me through many a tough class...

There are only 4 PZ instructors. Matt, Dennis, Olivia and Tunde Christine. I like them all, Matt the best.

Robin Arzon is brutal. Harder than Hincappie and VdV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got a buddy who does those. I have to do a “test” first, right?

More importantly, do any of the hot instructors do Powerzone rides? Kendall’s backside has gotten me through many a tough class...
Olivia is probably the best looking (its just her and Christine) but she doesnt do anything for me  

You do a 10 minute FTP warm up and then the test. Start with Matt Wilpers. After you take the test and first ride with him, you can test the other 3. My preference is Matt, Christine, and then prob a tie between Olivia and Dennis.

You can also check out Christian Vandevelde. He is a pro cyclist that does 1 or 2 rides a month. Do it after the FTP test bc he uses the same zones. His classes are awesome. 

There are only 4 PZ instructors. Matt, Dennis, Olivia and Tunde. I like them in that order.

Robin Arzon is brutal. Harder than Hincappie and VdV.
Its Christine not Tunde

I took a Robin Tabata ride last week. Wow, very tough. 

Missing my bike.  We moved out of NYC for a bit of time but couldn't take bike with me (don't have a good solarium to put in at current location).  Trying to start up running again but after a couple of runs my bad back is already complaining.  Don't want to lose all fitness gains of last several months so bummed about it and will keep trying to run.  

Any advice for a relative beginner? I'm 53. I played hockey until my mid-40s, so I was in good shape with good endurance, but I tore my ACL and basically stopped playing. Outside of walking, I didn't do much exercise the past few years (slew of hockey injuries added up and it killed me to run) so I gained about 20 pounds and have been pretty out of shape.

I bought a Peloton in January. I was/am basically clueless about a workout program.  I started out with 20-minute beginner classes. I remember feeling like I wanted to die after I hit the 18-minute mark in my first class.

I pushed myself harder in the 20-minute beginner classes and then moved up into the 30-minute advanced beginner classes.  I feel like I'm pushing myself pretty hard as I tend to finish in the top 2-3% of riders in a class. I remember taking the 30-minute Weezer class in my first week (it's almost impossible for me to find classes with music I like). I took the class a couple of weeks ago and more than doubled my output.

I guess I plan to move into the 45 minute classes soon, but not sure if this is the right way to progress.  Should I try the power zone classes? I bought a heart monitor and I still haven't used it.

Also, do you guys take days off to rest your body? My legs tend to feel like jello after riding for 5 days plus I can feel some soreness in my knee, too.  I did 8 days in a row and took 2 days off before riding again for 7 straight days. Today will be my 8th in a row.  On a positive note, I have lost about 15 pounds since January and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in for the past several years. Now if I could only cut out the sweets.

Any advice for a relative beginner? I'm 53. I played hockey until my mid-40s, so I was in good shape with good endurance, but I tore my ACL and basically stopped playing. Outside of walking, I didn't do much exercise the past few years (slew of hockey injuries added up and it killed me to run) so I gained about 20 pounds and have been pretty out of shape.

I bought a Peloton in January. I was/am basically clueless about a workout program.  I started out with 20-minute beginner classes. I remember feeling like I wanted to die after I hit the 18-minute mark in my first class.

I pushed myself harder in the 20-minute beginner classes and then moved up into the 30-minute advanced beginner classes.  I feel like I'm pushing myself pretty hard as I tend to finish in the top 2-3% of riders in a class. I remember taking the 30-minute Weezer class in my first week (it's almost impossible for me to find classes with music I like). I took the class a couple of weeks ago and more than doubled my output.

I guess I plan to move into the 45 minute classes soon, but not sure if this is the right way to progress.  Should I try the power zone classes? I bought a heart monitor and I still haven't used it.

Also, do you guys take days off to rest your body? My legs tend to feel like jello after riding for 5 days plus I can feel some soreness in my knee, too.  I did 8 days in a row and took 2 days off before riding again for 7 straight days. Today will be my 8th in a row.  On a positive note, I have lost about 15 pounds since January and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in for the past several years. Now if I could only cut out the sweets.
You could throw in a low impact ride every once in a while. What I love about power zone ( I feel like a paid advertisement) is that most days are training days. You work hard, but at your own pace. I never look at the leader board. I hide it on every ride. I have zero interest in competing against people who are at different places in their fitness journey. Its nice when I hit a PB but I dont ever go into a ride saying that is my goal. I have really started to enjoy the 60 minute power zone endurance rides. I think it is my sweet spot. I lose between 500-600 calories and am drenched in sweat. It is peak fat burning zone and it is something that I can sustain. 

I took that Dennis Morton Weezer class. Peloton just wrapped up a lawsuit based on the music they can play. I think the music will be better, but here are two rides you might like

Olivia has a 30 minute Guns N Roses ride and Kendall has a 15 minute metal ride. If you are a new wave fan, Christine has a few New Wave rides that I enjoyed. 

You could throw in a low impact ride every once in a while. What I love about power zone ( I feel like a paid advertisement) is that most days are training days. You work hard, but at your own pace. I never look at the leader board. I hide it on every ride. I have zero interest in competing against people who are at different places in their fitness journey. Its nice when I hit a PB but I dont ever go into a ride saying that is my goal. I have really started to enjoy the 60 minute power zone endurance rides. I think it is my sweet spot. I lose between 500-600 calories and am drenched in sweat. It is peak fat burning zone and it is something that I can sustain. 

I took that Dennis Morton Weezer class. Peloton just wrapped up a lawsuit based on the music they can play. I think the music will be better, but here are two rides you might like

Olivia has a 30 minute Guns N Roses ride and Kendall has a 15 minute metal ride. If you are a new wave fan, Christine has a few New Wave rides that I enjoyed. 
I do those low impact classes every once in a while.  I hear you, especially with everyone being at a different level of fitness. I've only been riding for 3 months after years of inactivity, so I'm not that confident in my level of fitness.

I hate working out though unless it's playing a sport. Mentally I don't look forward to a class. I know it's going to be hard work. I guess I motivate myself by trying to be the first on the members here now leaderboard,  but I'm also trying to beat my output record each time.  I do this even when I do a "Just Ride" session.

Yesterday I did a new wave class that I really liked. Started off with the Cure and the Smiths and later Joy Division. I burned about 450 calories in a 30-minute class which I think is pretty good, but honestly I feel kind of clueless about how to progress. I think I'm going to try a PZ class later this week.

I do those low impact classes every once in a while.  I hear you, especially with everyone being at a different level of fitness. I've only been riding for 3 months after years of inactivity, so I'm not that confident in my level of fitness.

I hate working out though unless it's playing a sport. Mentally I don't look forward to a class. I know it's going to be hard work. I guess I motivate myself by trying to be the first on the members here now leaderboard,  but I'm also trying to beat my output record each time.  I do this even when I do a "Just Ride" session.

Yesterday I did a new wave class that I really liked. Started off with the Cure and the Smiths and later Joy Division. I burned about 450 calories in a 30-minute class which I think is pretty good, but honestly I feel kind of clueless about how to progress. I think I'm going to try a PZ class later this week.
I think any competitive person would like PZ because you are competing against yourself. 

My advice, start with the warm up ride and then do the test. That way, you will have your zones set for you during your first official ride. The guesstimation was tough during your first ride if you dont test.

I think any competitive person would like PZ because you are competing against yourself. 

My advice, start with the warm up ride and then do the test. That way, you will have your zones set for you during your first official ride. The guesstimation was tough during your first ride if you dont test.
I've had my bike a little over 2 years, did the PZ test on Sunday for the first time, looking forward to the training.  I've been a little bored of the standard rides so hoping this shakes it up a bit.

I got my bike in mid December and did random rides until late February.  I was always feeling intimidated.  "I can't do a 30 minute ride".  "No way I can do a 45 minute ride."  "Powerzone is way out of my league."  I decided to bite the bullet and do the powerzone program, I am in week #3, and I know I can handle this.  The test ride suuuuuuucccccckkkkks, but needs to be done.  Just follow their program and you will be fine.

I can't do the "just ride" part, and watch Netflix or anything.  I find it really boring.  The classes keep me engaged and makes the time go much faster.  

And for reference, I'm in my mid 50's, and have been a fat tub of goo for a long time.  My big piece of advice is to start slow, don't over do it, but don't be intimidated.  

If you like rock music I like the Emma Lovewell Rock rides.  

Did the 20-min FTP Test Ride this morning.  Didn't have a clue where to start, but ended up with average output of 232.  Probably not representative of my current fitness, as my legs are nowhere near rested, but at least it gives me some kind of baseline...

Followed it up with a nice 9-mile run over lunch.  Good workout day.   :thumbup:

That's better than pretty good. I've been riding an exercise bike for 15 years and a Peloton for 2. I burn 650 in 30 a minute class. For just getting back on after a few years sedentary is impressive.

Did the 20-min FTP Test Ride this morning.  Didn't have a clue where to start, but ended up with average output of 232.  Probably not representative of my current fitness, as my legs are nowhere near rested, but at least it gives me some kind of baseline...

Followed it up with a nice 9-mile run over lunch.  Good workout day.   :thumbup:
Lol, just to give you an example of how much stronger/more fit you are. My final output for my test the other day was 198. 

But that is why I like PZ. Its all about me. Not chasing you who has been running forever. 

2 things 

My Peloton name is Acer for any guys just getting into PZ and want to use me as a baseline. 

Also, just got my padded shorts today. Did a Wilpers 60 min ride and there was a real difference. glad I got them. Although I have no idea if they fit right, lol

2 things 

My Peloton name is Acer for any guys just getting into PZ and want to use me as a baseline. 

Also, just got my padded shorts today. Did a Wilpers 60 min ride and there was a real difference. glad I got them. Although I have no idea if they fit right, lol
I should change my name to FTP Destroya

That is interesting. Would have thought it was standard. 
They aim to be, and most are within a reasonable range, but I've ridden a couple of outliers...thus my 800+ 45 min output PR on a ride where I didn't go all out. That was one of three we had delivered to my work gym, the others were similar to the one I have at home. I called them for service and they came in and recalibrated it, close now but still known as "the easy bike" among everyone at work who rides. 

Point is, if that bike was delivered to your house and you didn't know any better then you'd be topping leaderboards thinking you were a ####### superstar. When you see what look like impossible output numbers at the top of leaderboards, you're right - they're impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread