What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (2 Viewers)

As overpriced and hoity-toity as these things are, I can't complain at all about the purchase.  The wife uses it every day, sometimes twice.  We've had it for a year and a half and she's coming up on her 500th ride.  Recently they added yoga class and she's into that, too.  I've done a few rides and have to admit that it is a good workout and fairly addictive.  

As overpriced and hoity-toity as these things are, I can't complain at all about the purchase.  The wife uses it every day, sometimes twice.  We've had it for a year and a half and she's coming up on her 500th ride.  Recently they added yoga class and she's into that, too.  I've done a few rides and have to admit that it is a good workout and fairly addictive.  
I've done 14 rides in the 21 days we've owned one, and my wife probably a couple rides less than that (she also does Orange Theory and runs regularly), so it's been a good purchase for us.  Much better workout for me than what I was previously doing on the treadmill.  I do think the nature of the interface and game theory elements adds an important motivational component that would be missing on a less expensive option.

Edit to add:  We keep ours in the billiard room next to the armory.

Last edited by a moderator:
we got a couple of these in our company gym but I stick to the treadmill.  they look like a lot of work. 

don't you have to pay a monthly fee for the live classes?  how much is that?

I've done 14 rides in the 21 days we've owned one, and my wife probably a couple rides less than that (she also does Orange Theory and runs regularly), so it's been a good purchase for us.  Much better workout for me than what I was previously doing on the treadmill.  I do think the nature of the interface and game theory elements adds an important motivational component that would be missing on a less expensive option.

Did you buy new or used?  

Thanks BB. Any tips and recommendations? Are there different models / options worth / not worth doing?

Or I guess maybe better, if you were to buy it again, what would you get? Anything different? Thanks.

New because I’m stupid. (It was my wife and my joint Christmas present.)
You ain’t stupid. Good luck finding a used one for anything less than 80% cost of new, and when one does pop up on c-list its gone in hours. People (besides @Otis) who buy them, for the most part, use them and want to keep them.

Thanks BB. Any tips and recommendations? Are there different models / options worth / not worth doing?

Or I guess maybe better, if you were to buy it again, what would you get? Anything different? Thanks.
As far as I’m aware, there’s only one bike. The only option are the packages that include shoes, heart rate monitors, hand weights, etc.  My wife already had a heart rate monitor so we got the package with one pair of shoes, one HRM and one set of hand weights, and then bought an extra pair of shoes a la carte. Would make the same purchase today. 

Congrats. According to my data, this was a great move. 

Got my wife one for Christmas a few years ago. She used it three times and then we sold it to her friend for a thousand dollar discount.  I tried it once but realized I haven’t enjoyed riding bicycles since I was 15.

Good luck!

As far as I’m aware, there’s only one bike. The only option are the packages that include shoes, heart rate monitors, hand weights, etc.  My wife already had a heart rate monitor so we got the package with one pair of shoes, one HRM and one set of hand weights, and then bought an extra pair of shoes a la carte. Would make the same purchase today. 
For the stuff you see on the monitor riding with other people, is that just online like a video game? Is there are charge for that? Or is the instruction pre recorded? If both, do you have a preference? 

Is it basically like a spin class at home?

Or more like simulating a real ride outdoors?

What do you most like about it? 

Sorry for dumb questions - I'm sure these are basic.

For the stuff you see on the monitor riding with other people, is that just online like a video game? Is there are charge for that? Or is the instruction pre recorded? If both, do you have a preference? 

The classes are included in the monthly membership, which runs around $40 a month.  I was able to prepay a few years in advance and get that cost down.

They have live classes with a variety of instructors, on-demand classes, and they also have the rides that simulate biking outdoors.  I thought I’d like the latter but it was lame.  I mostly do on demand and my wife prefers live because she rides with a group of her friends.

as far as accessories go, we got a mat and shoes through Peloton.  Skipped the heart rate monitor.  Bought a nice pair of wireless headphones and a large fan.  Both are key.

The classes are included in the monthly membership, which runs around $40 a month.  I was able to prepay a few years in advance and get that cost down.

They have live classes with a variety of instructors, on-demand classes, and they also have the rides that simulate biking outdoors.  I thought I’d like the latter but it was lame.  I mostly do on demand and my wife prefers live because she rides with a group of her friends.

as far as accessories go, we got a mat and shoes through Peloton.  Skipped the heart rate monitor.  Bought a nice pair of wireless headphones and a large fan.  Both are key.
Thanks. I didn't know there was another monthly membership on top of the bike. I guess it makes sense if they're doing live stuff. 

I keep thinking about a rower as well. 

Had mine about 18 months now.  Still love it.  I haven't ridden it much lately, been trying to focus on running.   Its $40 a month. I think you get a free month if you pay a year in full.  

Its just like a spin class at home.  Put the head phones on and prop a fan up you're immersed.  I love it.  It not like riding outdoors at all.  It does feel like a real bike though.  

What I like most?  Its always right there ready to go, and its practically silent to ride.  Clipping your shoes in and heavy breathing is about the only sounds that will come from the bike.  Its super smooth too.  It uses magnetic resistance.  Mine is right off our bedroom and I can ride while the wife snoozes.  

They have 10-12 live rides everyday.  All sorts of different options, Pop rides, rock rides, HIIT rides,  rides with live DJ's, rides to improve endurance, etc. They range from 20 - 90 minutes.  Most are 30 or 45 minute rides.  Once the live ride is done it goes to an "on demand" section of the video library.  You can pull those up anytime you want.  

I guess it is a lot like a video game.  As you ride your output is shown on the screen, its a combo of your speed and resistance.  You're best output is always shown for those that want to try and beat it.  Plus if you know people that have taken the same class you can see their results too.  I got pretty competitive with an old friend I used to run with.  He started killing me on it.  The instructors are all great too.  You'll settle in and find one you like the most.  

I haven't had a regret about buying ours.  

We got ours back in July, and I’ve recommended it to anyone that will listen.  Im super competitive, so the leaderboard has made me get workouts I just didnt get in regular spin classes.  Granted, thats my own motivation problem, but if I went to a spin class with 30 people in it, I would generally beat everyone in the class by at least 15% and could cruise at the end. (Im 6’3, 210 lbs, so have a major advantage over most of the class since it would be 85% women).  Now, no matter how hard I go, I wont come in 1st, so constant motivation throughout the ride.  

The other big benefit is its right there in your home.  If I have to leave my house in 40 minutes for something, I can still get a quick 20 min ride in and be out the door in 40 easily.  You can’t do that if you have to go to the gym, or even a run outside.  And you wont get a good as a workout in on a 20 minute run outside as you will on a 20 minute ride.  This coming from someone who prefers to run, but the workout per minute is just not comparable.  

Finally, you don’t even have to do a class.  Im about to go catch up on a couple of episodes from shark tank and ride the bike during it.  Will probably ride for 1.5-2 hours while watching shark tank and doing a few work calls.  Not calls I have to talk on though, as ill be breathing too hard, just conference calls in listen only mode.  

Im axle5454 on there if anyone wants to add me.

Wife convinced me we should get one, I didn't touch it for first three months. Finally accepted the fact that I couldn't run anymore due to my knees and took my first ride on 12/31/16. Since then I've take 571 rides, average length over 45 minutes. I point out my average length of ride because you hear instructors call out people during the rides for milestones and some have absurd numbers...1,500 or more rides and I have to think they pad their stats with a ton of 5 minute warm-up and cool-down rides. Pretty easy to rack up 3 or 4 a day with that nonsense. So since I started I've on average I've taken a 45 minute ride 4 out of every 5 days, and that includes missing a week or two in a row at times for vacations or work travel. In general if I wake up in my house I ride that day. I also lobbied to get some for our work gym, started with one a year ago and now we have three to meet demand. If I miss my wake up call I can take a ride at lunch time at the office. My wife just happened to take her 500th ride this morning, so we get a ton of use out of it.

A few other things about my experience with it:

• At first I was obsessed with the leaderboard but now I largely ignore it. Anyone who has a Peloton has noticed people at the top of the leaderboard with seemingly impossible output totals. That's because on your bike, those numbers are impossible. Not all bikes are calibrated the same, however hard Peloton tries. When we got the second bike at work I took my first ride and somewhat easily hit over 800 output on a 45 minute ride, 100 points over my home PR where I literally puked into a trash can with 5 minutes left. I had the Peloton technician come back a week later to adjust that bike to make it match the other one we had in the gym, and closer to what I have at home. The work one is still a little "easier" than the one at home but pretty close. Anyway, the leaderboard is good for chasing people down during a ride if that motivates you but as far as where you stand overall, there's a reason a woman in her 50s from Sioux City crushed you by 100 output points.
  • Vary the intensity of your rides. For the first few month I got the bike I was obsessed with the leaderboard and PRs, every day, and my legs were always fatigued. Over time I've learned to approach a week of rides much like I used to plan a week of running: a couple of very hard rides, a couple of easy ones, and a couple in the middle. They all serve a purpose and I've gotten much stronger since making this adjustment.
  • If you haven't taken the FTP test and enabled the Power Zone graph feature you're really missing out. The Matt Wilpers Power Zone rides are awesome. Especially if you were/are a runner, these are very structured and purposeful. Denis Morton does them also but I much prefer Matt.
  • The Heart Rate Zone training is also awesome, makes dialing in your intensity idiot-proof.
  • And I never tire of Jess King - LOVE her. Her "Sweat Steady" series of rides are my absolute favorites...a total grind, very much like a 3X 2 mile on/1 mile off running workout. Because of my knees I never get out of the saddle during rides, whether the instructor prompts you to or not, so I love these long, steady, grind-it-out interval rides.
  • I'm turning 50 this year. I did a ton of running in my mid 40s, ran a couple of marathons, then my knees fell apart. The realization that running wasn't an option for me anymore was a seriously dark time for me, this really turned me around. I've never been in better overall shape. My legs, ### and core are stronger than at any other time in my life.
I don't go crazy endorsing many things but I recommend it to anyone who asks about it.

Help me out here guys. Its a bit different than when I ordered two years ago. Did anyone research if their deals with accessories are worth it. Last time I ordered the shoes, headphones amd weights but I think I can get that all for less than what they have it for. Im not nickle and diming, just trying to judge worth. 

Also, I can no longer add a subscription like last time. Does that come after I purchase. Last time they just rolled it into the cost I was paying. 

Thinking of trying again for valentines day but more for me this time. So if she doesnt want it again, Ill keep it for me

Joe Bryant said:

Others have already responded with a bunch of detail in response to your questions.  It's like an on-line spin class.  (There are scenic outdoor rides, but I didn't like them because they don't simulate hills or flat roads on their own - you have to do that manually.)

But there are elements in the virtual interface that I think can tap into your psychology to push you to have more productive workouts:

1) Engaging instructors.  For the most part, the instructors are quite good, and the camera puts you in the front row of the spin class.  And even though there is no real accountability (you could go flat road the whole time if you felt like it), they are pretty motivational and it's easy to feel like you are in a live experience where you want to follow instructions.

2) Personal Data.  There is tons of data visible to you while you ride.  Calories burned, output, total output, heart rate, zones, etc.  Having this data immediately available helps you calibrate your rides and improve production and efficiency.

3) Benchmarks.  Utilizing your personal data, there are various awards/medals you can receive, which incentivizes you to keep up your rides for total numbers or consecutive days, and to increase the intensity of your workout (total output medals).

4) Competition.  Folks have already talked about the leaderboard and joining rides with friends.  This may or may not motivate you.  For me (as a beginner), I like to finish in the top half of the leaderboard.  As a result, I can't be sitting at the low end of the resistance ranges they give me, and I can't be lagging on the cadence.  Also, I hate to see myself falling on the leaderboard (it updates continually), so I will increase resistance until I am static or climbing the leaderboard, thus leading to a more intense workout.

5) Community.  Even though it's just you alone in your home watching a screen, the interface does a good job of creating a sense of community.  This is the case even if you are just doing a recorded class (because a bunch of others are often in there with you also watching the recorded class).  The instructors are calling out people by name to give them props, and class participants occasionally send you virtual high-fives.  This sense of community provides some of the motivation that a class provides, while in the comfort of your own home.

By the way, the Peloton app also has streaming videos for other types of classes, including yoga, stretching, outdoor running, strength conditioning, meditation, etc.  While I haven't really taken advantage of these, my wife streams them to our television to do yoga and stretching.

For the shoes, do they use standard clips like a bike would? 

Cycling shoes make a big differnce and I have a pair for my bike. Would be cheesy and annoying if they didn't use a standard pedal and you had to buy their shoes. 

Cycling shoes make a big differnce and I have a pair for my bike. Would be cheesy and annoying if they didn't use a standard pedal and you had to buy their shoes. 
Look upthread for an explanation.  They use one of the standard clips, but it's not the most common one.

Nigel said:
  • And I never tire of Jess King - LOVE her. Her "Sweat Steady" series of rides are my absolute favorites...a total grind, very much like a 3X 2 mile on/1 mile off running workout.
Hadn’t ever taken one of her classes so booted up a Jess King 30-minute 90s hip hop class tonight on your recommendation. Six minute warm up that was easier than I was used to, so I cranked up the resistance. That may have been a mistake. As soon as we were out of the warm up it was an instant grind.  And while there was some jogging, she kept us in the saddle on resistance more than the other classes I’ve taken. My quads were screaming. Somehow I made it to the finish and bested my top output to date by 20 kJ.  Thanks for the rec - her classes will definitely be in my rotation (when I’m up to it).

These damn things are popping up in malls now.  I was sure their business model of super expensive exercise product tied to expensive monthly fee would fail, but to be as successful as they seem to be, the product and experience are obviously quite good. 

I am now debating getting my wife one.  The thing is she's always been active with tennis, lots of walking etc, but she wants to mix in something else.  I'm not a giant biker and like the elliptical/treadmill/lifting routine just fine.

Sounds like if I pull the trigger and she doesn't use it, there's a ready secondary market out there so I'm not risking more than a couple hundred bucks. 

They require LOOK clips.  SPD more common but LOOK has plenty of options. I have size 14 foot and had to order a pair off amazon, took the cleats and clips to a bike shop after failing to get it right a couple times.... they showed me how to do it in about 60 seconds.

Shoes used to come with bike, not sure if that is a seasonal deal.

These damn things are popping up in malls now.  I was sure their business model of super expensive exercise product tied to expensive monthly fee would fail, but to be as successful as they seem to be, the product and experience are obviously quite good. 

I am now debating getting my wife one.  The thing is she's always been active with tennis, lots of walking etc, but she wants to mix in something else.  I'm not a giant biker and like the elliptical/treadmill/lifting routine just fine.

Sounds like if I pull the trigger and she doesn't use it, there's a ready secondary market out there so I'm not risking more than a couple hundred bucks. 
If you break it all down the $40 per month really isn't that much.  For that price you get as many logins as you want on that bike.  So if you and your wife take 3 classes a week each its less than $3.50 per class.   If your wife is as active as you say I bet she'd  love this.  My kids have expressed interest in wanting to ride it too.  I'm sure when they're teens they'll ride a little bit. 

I haven't joined a gym in years, but I guess one with a decent spin class option is at least $25-$30 per month per person.  

Theres tons of other content too like yoga, stretching, cardio, full body workouts with dumbbells, etc.  

If you break it all down the $40 per month really isn't that much.  For that price you get as many logins as you want on that bike.  So if you and your wife take 3 classes a week each its less than $3.50 per class.   If your wife is as active as you say I bet she'd  love this.  My kids have expressed interest in wanting to ride it too.  I'm sure when they're teens they'll ride a little bit. 

I haven't joined a gym in years, but I guess one with a decent spin class option is at least $25-$30 per month per person.  

Theres tons of other content too like yoga, stretching, cardio, full body workouts with dumbbells, etc.  
How does that part work - is the screen big enough or adjustable to where you can see it well when not on the bike?

I would say $40 per month or almost $500 a year to use the exercise equipment in your home is seen as pretty expensive by most people. Clearly enough people are paying to make it work for them. 

I would say $40 per month or almost $500 a year to use the exercise equipment in your home is seen as pretty expensive by most people. Clearly enough people are paying to make it work for them. 
I look at it as replacing a gym membership though.  I don't think you need both for the average person that just wants to get in/stay in decent shape on their time.   

If that's how you want to view it, then yes, it would be considered expensive.  For full disclosure, you don't need to pay the $40/month to use the Peloton, but if you're not going to pay the $40/month then save a bunch up front and buy a much cheaper bike than a Peloton. 

The way I view it is that it's a gym membership replacement.  So instead of paying anywhere from $80-$200/month, you've got access to something like 15+ live spin classes all day, 10,000 on demand classes (essentially every live class archived), and tons of other classes as others have mentioned covering scenic rides, yoga, strength, treadmill workouts, etc.  You can access all of the classes via their app as well.  And that $40/month covers not just me but my wife, and if you've got kids that are interested they can hop on as well.  As others have said, the bike is insanely smooth and they really have their #### together in terms of form and functionality of the classes, software, and app.  

Part of my justification for taking the plunge was the resale market is extremely strong.  Not many of these floating around used, and when they are they're sold in less than a day.  The only way this thing turns into a lose is if Peloton itself goes belly up and shuts down the software behind the bike.  If that happened, I can't imagine another investor not stepping in so I think that risk at this stage is extremely low. 

It is expensive relative to other bikes.  But if you (and others in your family) use it, then I think it's a very reasonable investment. My .02.

It probably isn't worthwhile for most. Are you an avid spinner? Do you not enjoy the spin class at the gym? Do you not enjoy other forms of cardio? Do you already have a strength program that doesnt involve you going to a gym? 

If the answers are yes to all then it probably makes sense unless you bike outdoors an extensive amount. I suspect it isnt the case with most who use the program, but I'm curious what their actual user data says. 

Ultimately, it isn't my place to say how someone else spends their money though. 

I am a member of Retro Fitness. My wife signed up because her favorite spin instructor taught there. To add me on is like $10 or $20 extra a month.  I have not worked out in forever and only use it for Spin classes

However, the two days that the good instructor teaches are Wednesdays from 5:30-6:15 and my son has hockey and I can not go. The other is Saturdays from 10:30-11:30. This is also prime sports time for my kids. So I rarely go anymore.  If you take off the money we spend for my membership and apply it to a bike I can use anytime, it makes sense

$40 just doesnt seem that much when individual classes themselves cost almost that.  

If that's how you want to view it, then yes, it would be considered expensive.  For full disclosure, you don't need to pay the $40/month to use the Peloton, but if you're not going to pay the $40/month then save a bunch up front and buy a much cheaper bike than a Peloton. 

The way I view it is that it's a gym membership replacement.  So instead of paying anywhere from $80-$200/month, you've got access to something like 15+ live spin classes all day, 10,000 on demand classes (essentially every live class archived), and tons of other classes as others have mentioned covering scenic rides, yoga, strength, treadmill workouts, etc.  You can access all of the classes via their app as well.  And that $40/month covers not just me but my wife, and if you've got kids that are interested they can hop on as well.  As others have said, the bike is insanely smooth and they really have their #### together in terms of form and functionality of the classes, software, and app.  

Part of my justification for taking the plunge was the resale market is extremely strong.  Not many of these floating around used, and when they are they're sold in less than a day.  The only way this thing turns into a lose is if Peloton itself goes belly up and shuts down the software behind the bike.  If that happened, I can't imagine another investor not stepping in so I think that risk at this stage is extremely low. 

It is expensive relative to other bikes.  But if you (and others in your family) use it, then I think it's a very reasonable investment. My .02.
No doubt. For lots of people clearly, it's worth it. I just said $40 per month or almost $500 a year to use the exercise equipment in your home is seen as pretty expensive by most people.

If you have spd clips on shoes that you like, a better option may be to swap out the peleton pedals for compatible ones to your shoes

Ours being delivered on Thursday.  Already reviewed several of the yoga and stretch classes on my IPad.  Going to go do one now upstairs.  Goal is to squeeze in 2+ extra workouts per week and save time.  Also daughter for sure will use.  We'll see with Mrs. Smails.  She has a password at least.

Bought one for Mrs O for Christmas a couple years ago after she said she wanted it. Sold it to one of her friends for half price a few months later. 

Ours has been great. With two little kids and busy jobs, going to the gym regularly wasn’t a realistic option for us. This is a pretty reasonable, albeit expensive, substitute. 

No doubt. For lots of people clearly, it's worth it. I just said $40 per month or almost $500 a year to use the exercise equipment in your home is seen as pretty expensive by most people.
I think this is one of the spaces where people are willing to spend money.  I'd have to wonder the retention rate of the subscription service.  I'm sure there is a large non-renewal percentage, but that's similar to gym memberships in general.  I've never been into classes, but some people love them.  Whatever works.

Users who are viewing this thread