What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (1 Viewer)

I fall into that market, but I'm still not sure the value proposition is there for me.  I have an exercise bike and an elliptical in my home that cost less on a combined basis than the Peloton and don't have monthly fees on top of it.  But I'd rather listen to a podcast or stream something on my iPad than have someone screaming at me while I'm exercising though.
That’s obviously better/cheaper if you have the discipline to push yourself. I’ll have nights where I watch something on Netflix and ride at my own pace too, but I work about 25% (or more) harder doing the classes. So for me, I get a lot more out of my limited time with the subscription. 

I fall into that market, but I'm still not sure the value proposition is there for me.  I have an exercise bike and an elliptical in my home that cost less on a combined basis than the Peloton and don't have monthly fees on top of it.  But I'd rather listen to a podcast or stream something on my iPad than have someone screaming at me while I'm exercising though.
We have three Pelotons in the gym at my office and I hear this a lot from people, until they try it. You can think you'll get just as good of a workout spacing out to a podcast or watching tv while pedaling aimlessly but I highly doubt it.

I get the money argument though - its obviously not for everybody in that regard.

Enjoy some spin classes on me. Merry Christmas bud. 

I find it incredibly absurd all the viral outrage about the latest Peloton commercial. So what if the girl is skinny? That does not mean she is in shape nor has great heart health.

I mean this is a perfect example of this insane society we now live in with instant reaction, and everyone chiming in and piling on.

Can't take this garbage anymore. Thin does not mean fit or healthy. And it goes to show how people think that if your thin you must be in shape or workout. Quite the opposite. You can have a great diet and be thin. It does not automatically mean you're in shape.

The girl in this new ad campaign is obviously someone who is not fit, nor has motivation to work out and they are showing the Peloton program can get you going.

The outrage is she is not overweight? I never knew that was a pre-requisite to work out and keep a daily diary of your workouts.

****ing people are unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it incredibly absurd all the viral outrage about the latest Peloton commercial. So what if the girl is skinny? That does not mean she is in shape nor has great heart health.

I mean this is a perfect example of this insane society we now live in with instant reaction, and everyone chiming in and piling on.

Can't take this garbage anymore. Thin does not mean fit or healthy. And it goes to show how people think that if your thin you must be in shape or workout. Quite the opposite. You can have a great diet and be thin. It does not automatically mean you're in shape.

The girl in this new ad campaign is obviously someone who is not fit, nor has motivation to work out and they are showing the Peloton program can get you going.

The outrage is she is not overweight? I never knew that was a pre-requisite to work out and keep a daily diary of your workouts.

What struck me as odd in that article linked above and the comments on the video - was the insinuation that the husband was an awful person. IIRC, one comment said theres a 100% chance the husband is an abuser. :lmao:

Is it really "outrage" though?  To me it's people mocking a somewhat ridiculous commercial...most in a funny way.  Time to start mocking the ridiculous give a car for Christmas commercials next.

Is it really "outrage" though?  To me it's people mocking a somewhat ridiculous commercial...most in a funny way.  Time to start mocking the ridiculous give a car for Christmas commercials next.
Oh there is some venom about it...but the mocking is also quite stupid and incredibly ignorant.

Now making fun of car commercials.....all for it. LOL!!!!

Lighten up Francis. 

P.S. You can lighten up by 4 pounds on your new Peloton!!!!

Why spend this kinda money when for $500 I can buy a smart trainer and use the bike I already own indoors?  Does all the same calculations for watts exerted, calories burned, feet/meters climbed and so on - and can use with a program like Zwift, which is only $15 a month?

Why spend this kinda money when for $500 I can buy a smart trainer and use the bike I already own indoors?  Does all the same calculations for watts exerted, calories burned, feet/meters climbed and so on - and can use with a program like Zwift, which is only $15 a month?
Sounds like a great solution for you. As for me, I don’t own a bike that would work with that unit. 

I for one hate the new Peloton commercial.  It has nothing to do with an already skinny person working out.  Like others have said in this thread--skinny and healthy are not necessarily the same thing.   I have zero problem with the commercial in regards to promoting health. 

I find the commercial ridiculous because of the woman actually thinking that anybody (including her husband) cares about when she works out, what she eats, and what coffee she drinks.  I hate when people post themselves at the gym on social media or when they take pictures of their food and coffee thinking that the rest of the world gives a flying eff about it.  

On top of that--what is up with the constantly scared look on the actresses face? She's nervous to work out on a stationary back in her own home?  It's just weird and stupid.  The message of getting healthy by getting a peloton is lost in the other crap that's in the commerical.  

The concept of the spot is flawed and it's an impossible commercial to cast. If you cast an out-of-shape "regular" girl it comes off like the husband is sending her a message with the gift. If you cast the in-shape, hot girl you have to give her some kind of unnatural direction like the nervous/excited/unsure stuff she's doing in order for the spot to "work". Creative department is to blame. If all this attention is getting rich suckers to pay top dollar for an exercise bike then maybe they knew what they were doing all along.

IMO the reason it seems so creepy is because it appears the husband is gaslighting the wife. "Hey honey, you know...you're a mom now so you should probably do more to take care of your figure." 

The look on his face after she looks to him for approval seems like he's about to say "Wow, that's great. Now that you know what you're doing, just think of what you could accomplish if you really tried this year."

The concept of the spot is flawed and it's an impossible commercial to cast. If you cast an out-of-shape "regular" girl it comes off like the husband is sending her a message with the gift. If you cast the in-shape, hot girl you have to give her some kind of unnatural direction like the nervous/excited/unsure stuff she's doing in order for the spot to "work". Creative department is to blame. If all this attention is getting rich suckers to pay top dollar for an exercise bike then maybe they knew what they were doing all along.
Putting a hot girl in a fatsuit would have horrific optics.  Worse than this.   

They could have just made it a gift to self thing and show her posting on insta to her fans or whatever.  The blowback is because its her husband giving it to her, mostly. 

IMO the reason it seems so creepy is because it appears the husband is gaslighting the wife. "Hey honey, you know...you're a mom now so you should probably do more to take care of your figure." 

The look on his face after she looks to him for approval seems like he's about to say "Wow, that's great. Now that you know what you're doing, just think of what you could accomplish if you really tried this year."
Hey babe mix in a few squats, k thx.

I would rather have seen a huge hog at the beginning of the commercial and then see her morph into the girl at the end.  The husband would then be viewed as a hero. 

No one is getting their fat wife an exercise bike. 
winner winner chicken dinner. When I go the gym I see very few over weight people (stupid mirrors keep showing me one), same with REI and exercise type places period. Twitter is in an uproar because all the fatties behind the keyboard are upset that they didn't show one of their own kind on the commercial, aka the type of person who would rather own tubs of ice cream than a spin bike.

Do the live instructors get to see you?  Is there a camera on the screen like on a laptop?  
No but your sort of logged in like a chat room and they know your basic stats.  There are ways to take live classes with the instructors there.

As ugly as the ad is, and as ugly as people are making it out to be, really ugly would be the husband ignoring her advances, prompting her to buy a Peloton herself, and then seeking his approval with her video diary at the end. If people are offended by this, they'd lose their damn minds over Peloton getting really real.

Any $300 decent used road bike would work for it - and can also be used outside.
Okay, buy a decent used road bike for $300, the contraption you’re recommending to hook it to for $500, and then I guess I have to spring for a cheap television (or expensive iPad) and rig some sort of stand in front of the bike for it. Will surely save a few bucks for someone who doesn’t mind piecemealing everything together. Of course, we already bought the Peleton so that ship has sailed. 

I think it’s been pretty much conceded that (1) there are cheaper options (like go run outside for free); and (2) the Peleton is a luxury purchase. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This commercial is the zapruder film for you nerds. .

The discussion in here is :lmao:

You guys are the best!!

That’s obviously better/cheaper if you have the discipline to push yourself. I’ll have nights where I watch something on Netflix and ride at my own pace too, but I work about 25% (or more) harder doing the classes. So for me, I get a lot more out of my limited time with the subscription. 
Netflix is fine when you have a rest day or just want to move your legs a bit. 

In law school I used to read cases on the bike. Until I realized I was getting neither a good workout nor understanding the material. 

I'll take my tour de France and design my workouts or ride the tour.

Peloton isn’t much money over a 2-3 year period vs. many gym memberships, exercise classes, or spin classes. And the convenience can’t be beat. Today I got up at 5:37am and by 6:45am I had coffee, took a dump, and did a 45 minute class with the world class instructor, miss Ally Love. ❤️

Peloton isn’t much money over a 2-3 year period vs. many gym memberships, exercise classes, or spin classes. And the convenience can’t be beat. Today I got up at 5:37am and by 6:45am I had coffee, took a dump, and did a 45 minute class with the world class instructor, miss Ally Love. ❤️
It can be a great deal

So can running, a real bike, kayak, whatever you'll actually use

TheWalkmen said:
Sure the bike itself isn't much but who can afford the mortgage on the prerequisite house?    I'm just a lowly computer programmer.  And I :heart:  the precision on your wake up time.   That's what we in the industry like to call the peloton effect.

Users who are viewing this thread