Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oldmanhawkins

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday

On 12/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, identikit said:
On 12/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, Cowboysfan8 said:

Monica Ruiz

I had a google link here but some pics were probably a little too much for this board

Has an Allison Stokke vibe to her.

Also reminded me of Emmy Rossum :wub: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Judge Smails said:

Wear a heart monitor if taking a Jess King class. That is all.

Edited to add - I had my heart attack after taking a class from Jess, and the one other incident I had similar signs were also when I took hers vs Ally Love, etc.  Obviously she is a great instructor and not implying she caused it in any way. She didn't block my artery!  It's up to me to monitor and while I didn't wear a monitor I did try to listen to my body and back off when I felt it got tough.  Where she is different is with longer sustained tougher efforts without going to flat road for recovery.  Can kick your ###.  All good. Just be careful.  I'm more Ally Love speed

Maybe I’ll just skip her classes altogether. The whole point of buying this thing was not trying to die. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Wear a heart monitor if taking a Jess King class. That is all.

Edited to add - I had my heart attack after taking a class from Jess, and the one other incident I had similar signs were also when I took hers vs Ally Love, etc.  Obviously she is a great instructor and not implying she caused it in any way. She didn't block my artery!  It's up to me to monitor and while I didn't wear a monitor I did try to listen to my body and back off when I felt it got tough.  Where she is different is with longer sustained tougher efforts without going to flat road for recovery.  Can kick your ###.  All good. Just be careful.  I'm more Ally Love speed

My rides are almost entirely 50% Jess King/50% Matt Wilpers. Kind of an odd combo - long, sustained intervals being their common denominator. Reminds me of running which I miss but can’t do anymore.

I've had the bike for over a week now.  So far I like it and the variety of workouts.  Week one cycling was pretty easy.  A couple of week two workouts and I can tell I'm really out of shape.  Just keep showing up and riding on a consistent basis is my current goal.

The Peloton wife still has not been delivered, so I think I'm just settling for the bike.

I was able to take my first ride the other day. it was a 20 min 80s class with the girl whose name sounds African. 

Good workout and she gave me a shout out for my first ride. 

I did Jess King yesterday. I thought she was a bit annoying, but nice to look at. 

Did a very tough 45 minute ride with Cody today. Think it was my favorite. 

I can not ride out of the saddle for too long bc my foot does hurt a bit still. But, Im not that out of shape, yet I can hit 300 output which put me in 700th place. Cant imagine what it takes to be in top 100. 

On 12/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, Nigel said:

The ad is beyond stupid, but not the least bit offensive.

Agree - I :lmao: at the 6:00am video - it’s like a hostage video.  Here I am in the dark and scared - will I survive??  Tell my family I love them!

Posted (edited)

So I have had it for about a month now and love it.  I think I am already in the best shape I have been in over a decade.  It really works with my lifestyle where I just don't have time to dedicate to full trips to the gym and where the impact of running is tough on my back.  During the week day, I am typically doing 3 rides for 20 to 30 minutes in the morning before work.  I prefer the 30 minute ones but if I am short on time I do a 20 minute HIIT or climb ride and they are a good workout even though they are short since I am trying to do the hard short rides.  On weekends, I do at least one long ride (45 to 60 minutes) and try and fit in another 20 to 30 minute ride.

Think my favorite instructors at this point are Emma Lovewell and Dennis Morton though I continue to try out different instructors. They both feel genuine to me and are riding with you (vs. some of the other instructors who do take some breaks in the ride and the motivation seems off/fake to me).   

I have not gotten into the power zone rides yet but plan to do the test on Saturday with Morton (do the 10 minute warm up ride and then the 20 minute test).  Will also do a long ride on Sunday.    

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 4

hey pelaton purchasers how are the additions to your homes going take that to the bank bromigos

8 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

So I have had it for about a month now and love it.  I think I am already in the best shape I have been in over a decade.  It really works with my lifestyle where I just don't have time to dedicate to full trips to the gym and where the impact of running is tough on my back.  During the week day, I am typically doing 3 or 4 rides for 20 to 30 minutes in the morning before work.  I prefer the 30 minute ones but if I am short on time I do a 20 minute HIIT or climb ride and they are a good workout even though they are short since I am trying to do the hard short rides.  On weekends, I do at least one long ride (45 to 60 minutes) and try and fit in another 20 to 30 minute ride.

Think my favorite instructors at this point are Emma Lovewell and Dennis Morton though I continue to try out different instructors. They both feel genuine to me and are riding with you (vs. some of the other instructors who do take some breaks in the ride and the motivation seems off/fake to me).   

I have not gotten into the power zone rides yet but plan to do the test on Saturday with Morton (do the 10 minute warm up ride and then the 20 minute test).  Will also do a long ride on Sunday.    

Thanks for the Emma suggestion. just did her 30 min rock ride from earlier today. Holy cow, it kicked my butt. Almost all hills. 

Does anyone know how long a class is up before the suggested cadence and resistance gets posted on screen?

I feel like a dinosaur.   I have an   20 year old Schwinn Air Dyne.  I get in 8-10 miles in 30-40 minutes 5 days a week  in my basement while watching Chicago PD or Law and Order.  On weekends in the fall any football game.   Do people really need to watch a screen and have people talk to motivate them?

14 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Thanks for the Emma suggestion. just did her 30 min rock ride from earlier today. Holy cow, it kicked my butt. Almost all hills. 

Does anyone know how long a class is up before the suggested cadence and resistance gets posted on screen?

I’ll take an entire ride of climbs over having to run out of the saddle at 80+. That just destroys me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I feel like a dinosaur.   I have an   20 year old Schwinn Air Dyne.  I get in 8-10 miles in 30-40 minutes 5 days a week  in my basement while watching Chicago PD or Law and Order.  On weekends in the fall any football game.   Do people really need to watch a screen and have people talk to motivate them?

To get a really challenging workout?  For me, yes. 

• Like 1

Also, a word of warning for those starting out not to push themselves too hard:

https://www.insider.com/doctors-reporting-more-cases-of-rhabdomyolysis-after-spin-classes-2018-6

The best friend of my friend’s daughter is 19 and currently in the hospital with Rhabdo after a spin class. It’s apparently very serious. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

To motivate me, no. 

But Im not a professional fitness instructor so I enjoy having one tell me what to do. 

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

To get a really challenging workout?  For me, yes. 

I get it otherwise they would not be so popular.

For me I really enjoy exercise, lifting weights, biking, whatever and have since I was in HS.  I get pissed off when I miss work outs.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I get it otherwise they would not be so popular.

For me I really enjoy exercise, lifting weights, biking, whatever and have since I was in HS.  I get pissed off when I miss work outs.

Well, I don’t enjoy exercise, but I do it anyway.  I used to run on the treadmill. Put thousands of miles on the last one we owned. Would run while watching tv or movies. It was a good workout.  But was it a challenging workout?  Not even close. I burn WAY more calories and get my heart rate a lot higher doing a Peleton workout. 

Edited by bigbottom

45 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I guess everyone is different but for me, and just about everyone I've talked to, it's hard to get anywhere near the same workout just watching TV when compared to having the Peleton instructors push you.

It's not like running for me.  Pedaling at near max resistance on a bike hurts way too much for me to do it for more than a minute or so unless I have an instructor and a scoreboard telling me everyone else is doing it for much longer while keeping their cadence up around 80.

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

She is also nice to look at which is a plus in my book. 

Just now, JB Breakfast Club said:

Consecutive days with rides and boy is my crotch chafing. 

Body glide....not schtick

• Thinking 1

30 minutes ago, belljr said:

Body glide....not schtick

First rule of body glide is you do not talk about where you put body glide. 

Second rule of body glide is you do not share body glide with anyone even your wife.  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, AcerFC said:

I think it's usually three days before they get the cadence/resistance graphics on there. I do only the pre-recorded classes and need the metrics up there because my mind drifts and sometimes I'm not following what they're saying. 

Emma's rides and Kendall Toole's rides are pretty good. Emma focuses on the rides more. Kendall kind of veers off into "be the best version of yourself!" territory, which I tend to roll my eyes at. 

52 minutes ago, phandango said:

I think it's usually three days before they get the cadence/resistance graphics on there. I do only the pre-recorded classes and need the metrics up there because my mind drifts and sometimes I'm not following what they're saying. 

Emma's rides and Kendall Toole's rides are pretty good. Emma focuses on the rides more. Kendall kind of veers off into "be the best version of yourself!" territory, which I tend to roll my eyes at. 

I just read that Kendall has a 15 minute metal ride. Will probably ride that tonight :headbang:

I try to ride with a different instructor every day to see who I will like and who I dont. In a very non scientific ranking of them so far I would go (from best to worst)

Emma Lovewell, Robin Arzon, Dennis Morton, Jess King, Alex Toussaint, Tunde Oyeneyin, Cody Rigsby, Christine Dercole, Ally Love

hopped off the peloton and went straight for the tonal.  i’m at the mirror now, working out in the middle of my 12k sq ft home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

hopped off the peloton and went straight for the tonal.  i’m at the mirror now, working out in the middle of my 12k sq ft home.

That tonal looks a lot better than the mirror.   How you liking it?   

8 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

That tonal looks a lot better than the mirror.   How you liking it?   

never heard of this ... looks awesome.... not 5500 awesome but awesome

2 minutes ago, belljr said:

never heard of this ... looks awesome.... not 5500 awesome but awesome

I wonder if it motivates you more to use it knowing you spent that much coin.   I mean you buy a bench and some of those adjustable weights for $300, not a huge deal if you don't stick with it.  But $5500, that has to eat at you if you're not using it.

Denis Morton interval rides are my jam.  I really like his music mix (rock), and he sets the intensity to the songs. Not necessarily killer workouts, but really enjoyable, bordering on "fun." 

Still finding my way after two weeks. Riding 20s and 30s with arms added half the time. I feel gassed on the bike but recover really quickly, so there's more to give...

• Like 1

For those of you that have had the bike for a bit, what are the “true” monthly costs.  Wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting one but have heard different things.  I have 2 bad knees and can’t do anything but ride or swim.  TIA

45 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

For those of you that have had the bike for a bit, what are the “true” monthly costs.  Wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting one but have heard different things.  I have 2 bad knees and can’t do anything but ride or swim.  TIA

What do you mean. Think the cost for the classes are 45 a month. Only cost I know of. We bought some clips for the pedals you’ll need. Those were like 30 bucks. Considering a new seat cushion but that’s it. 

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

What do you mean. Think the cost for the classes are 45 a month. Only cost I know of. We bought some clips for the pedals you’ll need. Those were like 30 bucks. Considering a new seat cushion but that’s it. 

Yeah that’s pretty much what I mean. I’ve heard there’s ads-one like the clips etc that are needed.  I don’t know anyone personally who has one so that’s why I ask.  

19 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Yeah that’s pretty much what I mean. I’ve heard there’s ads-one like the clips etc that are needed.  I don’t know anyone personally who has one so that’s why I ask.  

Yea you can go nuts and buy shoes and towels and heart monitors but other than the clips it’s nothing you need. I don’t know why it doesn’t come with clips, just bake it into the price since they are essential. We got ours off amazon and not the name brand ones 

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea you can go nuts and buy shoes and towels and heart monitors but other than the clips it’s nothing you need. I don’t know why it doesn’t come with clips, just bake it into the price since they are essential. We got ours off amazon and not the name brand ones 

Exactly, you would think for $2200 for the bike the clips you need would be included. It’s what had be nervous (and thus asking questions here) about getting nickel and dime’d to death after buying one.  

4 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Exactly, you would think for $2200 for the bike the clips you need would be included. It’s what had be nervous (and thus asking questions here) about getting nickel and dime’d to death after buying one.  

Yea it was dumb. It got delivered and she wanted to use it that night and something said we needed the clips so she had to wait 3 days. You can pedal without them but it’s pretty rough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea it was dumb. It got delivered and she wanted to use it that night and something said we needed the clips so she had to wait 3 days. You can pedal without them but it’s pretty rough. 

Thanks for the help.  👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dkp993 said:

As far as extras, I got the black Friday deal for "the works."  If I didn't get that, I would purchased floor mat and shoes from Amazon.  You don't need their heart monitor (I do use it though) and the earphones are not used (I use airpods).  I did buy toe cages ($35) for the kids because I wasn't sure they would ride very much, and didn't want to invest in shoes.

Other extras would be a plywood board if on carpet ($50 max), fan, and weights.  There are other things I bought to make life nicer, but not necessary.  Also tip for delivery if you wish.

If you do buy through Peloton, you can finance the whole purchase--bike, shoes, extras at 0%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

It sucks to have extra stuff tacked on, but I took the convenience of buying the shoes from the Peloton store. I don't want to mess with off-brand when I'm already dropping 2k for the bike. I associate it like video game systems - you gotta get the actual controllers and avoid third party.

There was an accessible sale for the holidays...not sure how often they run. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, D-Day said:

As far as extras, I got the black Friday deal for "the works."  If I didn't get that, I would purchased floor mat and shoes from Amazon.  You don't need their heart monitor (I do use it though) and the earphones are not used (I use airpods).  I did buy toe cages ($35) for the kids because I wasn't sure they would ride very much, and didn't want to invest in shoes.

Other extras would be a plywood board if on carpet ($50 max), fan, and weights.  There are other things I bought to make life nicer, but not necessary.  Also tip for delivery if you wish.

If you do buy through Peloton, you can finance the whole purchase--bike, shoes, extras at 0%

I think we had a $100-200 delivery fee. 

The price on the website includes delivery 

Well just bought one.  Did the 0% financing cuz why not.  Just went ahead a bought 2 pairs of shoes (wife and I) for the convenience of it.  How long did delivery usually take? Order form is saying 2/3 weeks.  

If you finance it, does it report as an installment loan or revolving account?

40 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Well just bought one.  Did the 0% financing cuz why not.  Just went ahead a bought 2 pairs of shoes (wife and I) for the convenience of it.  How long did delivery usually take? Order form is saying 2/3 weeks.  

Got ours in 5 days including weekend. They got that thing to us ASAP. 

• Like 1

Did everyone post their Peloton handles on here?  I'm Lehigh98 on there too.  I do mostly power zone with Matt and Dennis.

Power zone has its on special outside following setting up teams and challenges, new one starting up next week...

https://powerzonepack.com

What clips are you guys talking about. The one I bought came with clips. you throw the peloton shoes on and ride. 

My wifes spin shoes did not have the triangle so she bought new ones. 

22 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

What clips are you guys talking about. The one I bought came with clips. you throw the peloton shoes on and ride. 

My wifes spin shoes did not have the triangle so she bought new ones. 

We had to buy these. Or at least that’s what my wife told me:

Venzo Fitness Exercise Spin Bike Compatible with Shimano SPD Pedals with Toe Clips & Cleats - Compatible with Peloton Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKFPGPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cv-gEbVWXNF22

9 hours ago, Capella said:

We had to buy these. Or at least that’s what my wife told me:

Venzo Fitness Exercise Spin Bike Compatible with Shimano SPD Pedals with Toe Clips & Cleats - Compatible with Peloton Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKFPGPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cv-gEbVWXNF22

You didnt need to. 

55 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

You didnt need to. 

They didnt buy peleton shoes....

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, belljr said:

They didnt buy peleton shoes....

Right. Ours didn’t come with the clips and we didn’t want to pay 125 each for the shoes. This way we can just use our running shoes on the peloton.