What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How early do you draft a QB in 2 qb starting league? (1 Viewer)

CabinFever

Footballguy
This is the first time in my entire life I'm playing in a redraft league where we start 2 QBs and we get 6 points for passing TDs. In a 1 Qb (4 pts passing TDs) leagues I've always played in, I never draft a QB early. Can you guys that have experience in 2Qb leagues share your strategies/experience on when to draft a QB? I would assume Rodgers and Brady are the clear top 2 in this format but do they go literally 1st or 2nd? Hard to imagine passing on an elite WR or RB to take a QB but I need to get over that or no??

Drafted Brady in my 2 QB league with a 2nd overall pick yesterday. Then drafted Mariota with my 3rd round pick.

No regrets.

1st round.  All I play is 2QB and there's nothing better than not worrying about a stud or 2 starting at QB.  

How big of a league?  6 or 8 teams you can wait a bit, but 10 and especially 12 teams you have to go early.  You don't want to have Goff as a weekly starting QB. 

My 1st pick is normally QB -, the 2/3 turn usually contains another QB as well - I am in a 14 team league with super flex.

Just drafted yesterday in a 10 team 2QB league -

1st round went Brady, DJohnson, Antonio, Julio, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Bell, Luck, Wilson.  

Round 2 was Freeman, Odell, Evans, AJ Green, McCoy, Gordon, Nelson, Demarco, Zeke, Cam

This is a 6 team league (crazy I know) and starting lineups as massive 

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

this is so foreign to me I'm afraid I'm going to bomb it  :bag:

This is the first time in my entire life I'm playing in a redraft league where we start 2 QBs and we get 6 points for passing TDs.  I would assume Rodgers and Brady are the clear top 2 in this format but do they go literally 1st or 2nd? Hard to imagine passing on an elite WR or RB to take a QB but I need to get over that or no??
Mine is similar but its "best ball" instead of both QBs counting in the final score. Every year it seems like the top guys go earlier and earlier.

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

In a six team league you can probably wait a bit, but not like in a typical start 1 QB league.

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

6 teams changes things in my mind.  Is this league new to you or is new to everyone involved (i.e do you have past draft results to see how quickly QBs got drafted in this league?).   The issue with 10/12 team leagues is that with the scarcity of QBs (2 per team + bye week starter, that's 30qbs at least) that you run the risk of your 2 starters being in the QB20-30 tier.

I have the 3rd pick in a 10 team 2 QB/PPR league. The draw to either get DJ/LB or AB is too great. I think I might double up on QBs at the 2/3 turn though.

How big of a league?  6 or 8 teams you can wait a bit, but 10 and especially 12 teams you have to go early.  You don't want to have Goff as a weekly starting QB. 
Yep. In my 10 team league (Dyno so slightly different) I took Rodgers in the first, Mariota in the 4th, Watson 12th, Goff 16th, Tanny in the 32nd. I actually had to talk myself out of taking more QBs. 

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

With that format I might wait til the 2nd to grab one of those 2nd tier guys.  I'd imagine Rodgers/Luck/Wilson are gone by then.  I could see a nice pairing of someone like Brees/Dalton in the 2nd/5th and then you could fill other positions relatively easily for those expanded rosters.  

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

Just my approach but I'd consider how many total players from each position should start and go from there.

12QB

18RB

18WR

6TE

24FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

Clearly TE is devalued unless you're looking to flex them. So how does scoring look - after you take out the starting rb,wr,te how many from each do you expect to start? I'd assume not many te unless you're giving major bonuses there.  So punt TE unless huge value drops (like gronk in the 6th). 

Looks to me like rb is King, by far. You can get 12 starting qb pretty easily but 18 rb is tougher.

I'd probably wait on qb just like in a normal 12 team league. Maybe not quite as long, but close.

With that format I might wait til the 2nd to grab one of those 2nd tier guys.  I'd imagine Rodgers/Luck/Wilson are gone by then.  I could see a nice pairing of someone like Brees/Dalton in the 2nd/5th and then you could fill other positions relatively easily for those expanded rosters.  
I don't think Brees is a top 12 player in this format. No chance of Wilson or luck being taken by the 2nd either. 

I have the 3rd pick in a 10 team 2 QB/PPR league. The draw to either get DJ/LB or AB is too great. I think I might double up on QBs at the 2/3 turn though.
Can't blame anybody with a top 3 pick to go that way. But if you are in the 4-14 range there are questions.

My ten team 2 qb league had 13 qbs go in the first two rounds last year. Seems about typical for us. First 3 picks will definitely be qbs. 

-OZ- said:
CabinFever said:

2QB

3RB

3WR

1TE

4FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

Just my approach but I'd consider how many total players from each position should start and go from there.

12QB

18RB

18WR

6TE

24FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

Clearly TE is devalued unless you're looking to flex them. So how does scoring look - after you take out the starting rb,wr,te how many from each do you expect to start? I'd assume not many te unless you're giving major bonuses there.  So punt TE unless huge value drops (like gronk in the 6th). 

Looks to me like rb is King, by far. You can get 12 starting qb pretty easily but 18 rb is tougher.

I'd probably wait on qb just like in a normal 12 team league. Maybe not quite as long, but close.
Yeah, this is basically the same as a typical 12-team league. Draft basically the same as you would in a 12-team league, if you owned 2 of the 12 teams. Except downgrade the TEs, and note that you don't need to be balanced between RB & WR because so many of your RB/WR starters are flex spots. If everyone else takes 2 QBs before you get your first one, you'll still be able to get guys like Rivers, Stafford, Dalton, or Taylor.

Yeah, this is basically the same as a typical 12-team league. Draft basically the same as you would in a 12-team league, if you owned 2 of the 12 teams. Except downgrade the TEs, and note that you don't need to be balanced between RB & WR because so many of your RB/WR starters are flex spots. If everyone else takes 2 QBs before you get your first one, you'll still be able to get guys like Rivers, Stafford, Dalton, or Taylor.
Good post. TE is basically worthless in this league. I would cross your fingers and hope people go overboard on QB early and you get to scoop up lots an abnormal amount of talent at RB/WR. 

@CabinFever Just out of curiosity, I set-up a mock with those settings and waited until round 12 to take a QB. Everyone else had 2 QBs already. This is the line-up I got 

QB: Dak, Ben with back-ups of  Dalton and Palmer

RB: Bell, Gordon, Hyde, Cook, Peterson

WR: Jordy, Baldwin, Demaryius, Crabtree, Fitz

TE: Kelce 

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I decided to go nuts, took Brady and Rodgers at 1.5, 2.2 (6 team league) and ended up with this roster (in order of each round)

Brady

Rodgers

Michael Thomas

McCaffrey

Cooks

Mixon

Cook

Jeffrey

Reed

Bryant

Watkins

Abdullah

Carr

Powell

Marshall

Moncrief

Martin

Ertz

D. Henry

Panthers D

Crosby

According to Yahoo I'm the 5th best team out of 6  :bag:

-OZ- said:

12QB

18RB

18WR

6TE

24FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

I've never played in a 6 team league before.

I agree with your view about the dynamic of scarcity in this format leading towards RB being the most valuable position and TE being the least.

The top QB are worth considering as always but I likely would wait on Brady or Brees until round 3 in this format. I don't see enough teams starting TE that I would bother with those until late. 

Just considering how the other 5 teams will likely go I would expect good WR to still be available in the 5th and later rounds so you wouldn't be looking at Gronk as the best receiver until round 6 like you say when the WR who can outscore him will be gone. In a 12 team league most of those WR will be gone by the 3rd round.

With 6 pts per td you made the right choice, but you're really young. Can't trust those draft analyzers anyway. 

You can tell I'm normally a dynasty guy so yeah I definitely drafted young. Probably too young. Although in a PPR I do think the 3 rookie RBs could make a big impact. 

With 6 pts per td you made the right choice, but you're really young. Can't trust those draft analyzers anyway. 
It is actually the opposite, the more value placed on TDs, the most QBs become startable on a week to week basis. I believe this is because there is more variance in TDs than in yards so the more scoring emphasizes TDs over yards, the more variance there will be in QB scoring. 

Maybe my logic is flawed, but I looked at the weekly average points wise for Rodgers (29) and Brady (26) and the difference between those 2 was significantly greater than the difference in the next few tiers of QBs, when compared to going from Beckham (18.5) to say Michael Thomas (16). And while my first RBs are rookies and I don't have the data to compare, had i of taken say McCoy with my first or 2nd, ( who also averaged 18.5) I'm just betting McCaffrey will average 14-16 making again the difference much closer. Originally I thought I was going to wait and target a Cousins, Winston, Rivers type later, but those guys averaged 20-22.5 per game. Just felt the greatest advantage came at the QB spots. But I realize it's very hard to chase points from year to year too.

I see Rodgers going before Brady on all the ADP lists but I think I'd go Brady. Coin flip? Compelling argument either way?

Yeah I took Brady first then Rodgers. Brady might have the best weapons he's ever had assuming Gronk stays healthy and Cooks is what he was in NO.

It is actually the opposite, the more value placed on TDs, the most QBs become startable on a week to week basis. I believe this is because there is more variance in TDs than in yards so the more scoring emphasizes TDs over yards, the more variance there will be in QB scoring. 
Passing tds worth 6 gives the top tier qbs a bump. Yeah, the rest of the pack gets a bump too, but 2qb makes me want at least one top option in the mix if possible. 

I see Rodgers going before Brady on all the ADP lists but I think I'd go Brady. Coin flip? Compelling argument either way?
Like CF said, Brady has more weapons this year, but you can't go wrong with either one. Blount and his 18 rushing tds leaving cannot hurt and maybe it helps.

Passing tds worth 6 gives the top tier qbs a bump. Yeah, the rest of the pack gets a bump too, but 2qb makes me want at least one top option in the mix if possible. 
This league given an example wasn't a good one because it's such an outlier. No reason at all to draft QBs early in it being a 6 team league. 

I did some quick math and got the average PPG for the top 20 QBs in 6 and 4 pt leagues. I compared how much better Rodgers scored over the average in both 6 and 4 pt leagues. Rodgers gave owners 1.3 ppg MORE of an advantage over the mean in 6 pt passing leagues than 4 pt leagues. So it is a slight improvement but IMO not enough to justify any major change in strategy. 

My league was 12-team 1 QB, 1 SuperFlex for about 5 or 6 years and it got to the point that if you didn't pick your 2nd QB by the 4th round you might as well wait until the 12+ because not much was left.  Then we removed the SuperFlex and the very next year things went back to "normal" where the bulk of starting QBs were taken in rounds 5-9.

This year we lost 4 teams and are down to 8 so we expanded rosters and must start 2 QBs so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I expect that quality QBs will be gone by round 5 so I plan on having both of mine by round 4.

My league was 12-team 1 QB, 1 SuperFlex for about 5 or 6 years and it got to the point that if you didn't pick your 2nd QB by the 4th round you might as well wait until the 12+ because not much was left.  Then we removed the SuperFlex and the very next year things went back to "normal" where the bulk of starting QBs were taken in rounds 5-9.

This year we lost 4 teams and are down to 8 so we expanded rosters and must start 2 QBs so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I expect that quality QBs will be gone by round 5 so I plan on having both of mine by round 4.
What range do you define as quality?

That is a good question.  I am guessing that Carson Palmer, Eli Manning maybe Andy Dalton will be the QBs left after the 5th round.
I agree that Palmer and Dalton are about the end of the weekly starters. Palmer is QB20.  Are guys in your league going to be drafting back-up QBs in the first 6 rounds?

I agree that Palmer and Dalton are about the end of the weekly starters. Palmer is QB20.  Are guys in your league going to be drafting back-up QBs in the first 6 rounds?
I doubt it.  I'm thinking that most teams will try rounding out the rest of their starters and forget about QBs after they have 2.   With only 8 teams we expanded from 9 starters to 11 so backup QBs will likely begin going in round 11-12, maybe 10.

I doubt it.  I'm thinking that most teams will try rounding out the rest of their starters and forget about QBs after they have 2.   With only 8 teams we expanded from 9 starters to 11 so backup QBs will likely begin going in round 11-12, maybe 10.
I think I wait on QBs in that league. If you are at the turn, you could get burned but I would aim to get something like Dak, Palmer, Dalton and a real late guy like Cutler or Alex Smth. If QBs are going as early as you say, you should be able to clean up early on RB and WR. 

If you let the first 15 QBs go (2 for each team, plus 1 team getting a 3rd QB). You could start like this: Brown, Gordon, AJ, Gurley, Cooper, Kelce and still go after QB in the next 3 rounds. It's a risk, but you will have huge advantages at RB, WR and TE to make up for anything at QB.  

Resurrecting this topic with results from my 10-man league. First time many have participated in a 2 QB and Rodgers went 1.9 and 2.2 to the same team. I got Brees at 2.8 and 3.3 I got Ryan. So, arguably, the four best QBs are on two teams. Wilson lasted until 6.1 and Luck 8.4. Odd.

Users who are viewing this thread