What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2024 (1 Viewer)

ONCE IN A LIFETIME™
This will be the third one in my lifetime. I'll have to drive about 30 minutes to see it in 2024, but still. 3 in 45 years for me. 1979, 2017 and 2024. Sure before that, the last one to go over St. Louis was in the 1400's, but now... Not so much

This will be the third one in my lifetime. I'll have to drive about 30 minutes to see it in 2024, but still. 3 in 45 years for me. 1979, 2017 and 2024. Sure before that, the last one to go over St. Louis was in the 1400's, but now... Not so much
We're gonna need a Solar Eclipse  sub forum if this keeps Up.

I am directly in the path of this one.   :thumbup:

Also, one of the things that made the 2017 eclipse so unique was the coast to coast nature of the event across the US.  That hasn't happened since 1918.  The 2024 version will not be so special for the west coast, but they will get treated to an annular eclipse in 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you are fortunate enough to make it, there will be another total eclipse across the US in 2045...

I am directly in the path of this one.   :thumbup:

Also, one of the things that made the 2017 eclipse so unique was the coast to coast nature of the event across the US.  That hasn't happened since 1918.  The 2024 version will not be so special for the west coast, but they will get treated to an annular eclipse in 2023.
I hear the prep is worse than the procedure.

There's another one in June 2021 that will cover most of Canada as well as the Northeast. Except that it happens early enough in the morning that the eclipse already will be happening at sunrise here in the East. But that seems like a pretty cool twist.

ETA: I guess that one is annular, not total.

Looked up when Phoenix would get a total eclipse..not until 2205...and then another one in 2207. 

Entitled whipper snappers.

Austin right in the middle of this one. Will be renting the house for the low, low price of $750 per night. BYOB but eclipse glasses are included.

The 2024 one will be sweet, assuming I still alive and lucid. Walk out the front door and enjoy. Though a trip up to wine country for a viewing in the hill country near Fredericksburg might be nice also. Probably need to make that reservation by about..... now?

Really looking forward to this one.  My house is 1/2 a mile from the center line.  3:42 duration of total eclipse.

This one is on a Monday as well, about an hour later than yesterday's.

It will also be a little bit closer to me...may try to get into the totality range this time around.

This one is on a Monday as well, about an hour later than yesterday's.

It will also be a little bit closer to me...may try to get into the totality range this time around.
It's several hours later. For 2017 the path of totality started in the West at 10:17AM PST and ended 2:47PM EST on the East coast. For 2024 totality starts in US in SW Texas at 6:29 PM and ends 7:33PM EST in NE Maine.

As a frame of reference for my area the time of greatest magnitude yesterday was 2:29PM EST and for 2024 it will be 7:10PM EST. So, it's about 4.5 hours later.

It's several hours later. For 2017 the path of totality started in the West at 10:17AM PST and ended 2:47PM EST on the East coast. For 2024 totality starts in US in SW Texas at 6:29 PM and ends 7:33PM EST in NE Maine.

As a frame of reference for my area the time of greatest magnitude yesterday was 2:29PM EST and for 2024 it will be 7:10PM EST. So, it's about 4.5 hours later.
I wonder when Daylight Savings kicks in for 2024. 

Here's a good interactive map that you can zoom on and shows % of magnitude and if in the path of totality the duration.

2024 Solar Eclipse
It's just incredible to me - and it says a lot about the human mind and how far we've come - that we can know with this degree of precision how an event in the future will affect us. 

ETA : only 99% in Columbus. Looks like I'm in for the Akron cornhole! 

Sweet, looking at that map, my MIL's house has 3m 44 seconds of totality. Various siblings are all right in the same duration too. This is going to be sweet. Nothing like eating Duffs chicken wings while wearing solar shades!

Here's a good interactive map that you can zoom on and shows % of magnitude and if in the path of totality the duration.

2024 Solar Eclipse
3 min 20.6 s of totality at my house!!!  Looks to begin about 1 PM with peak about 2:14 PM.

ETA: Eh...April 8th...I guess we will be in daylight savings time mode so the start time will be 2 PM with 3:14PM as peak.  Yeah, sure, I'll go with that.

I am not sure if I am reading this correctly.  I had to set the time to UTC-5 for Eastern Time.  It defaults to UTC-0, which I think is GMT.  

I just hope the weather is clear.  I live about 5 miles north of the red line, 3:43 of totality.

I am not sure if I am reading this correctly.  I had to set the time to UTC-5 for Eastern Time.  It defaults to UTC-0, which I think is GMT.  

I just hope the weather is clear.  I live about 5 miles north of the red line, 3:43 of totality.
Time conversion

3 minutes and 4 seconds of totality at my place!  :excited:

Indianapolis will get 3 minutes 30 seconds.  Bloomington Indiana will get over 4 minutes. 

And we thought the 2017 version was overhyped - multi page thread already nearly 7 years in advance...

Now how how do we get everyone equally excited about other matters of science?

traveled to nebraska for 2017 with the kids. we were worried we would miss it due to clouds. i was going 100+ mph on some two lane highway when suddenly the clouds parted at some hole in the wall restaurant. slammed on the brakes and 2 min later it started. we loved it. Will go to family in texas for next one.

traveled to nebraska for 2017 with the kids. we were worried we would miss it due to clouds. i was going 100+ mph on some two lane highway when suddenly the clouds parted at some hole in the wall restaurant. slammed on the brakes and 2 min later it started. we loved it. Will go to family in texas for next one.
Spring time in NE Ohio for me...This is high probability.

Users who are viewing this thread