What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#5 in PPR: ODB, AJ, or Evans? (1 Viewer)

timbrah_ho

Footballguy
At first glance ODB seems like the consensus expert ranked pick at the 5 spot in PPR. Even holding aside the injury the Giants offense and their Oline in particular looks like crap. 

Anyone else think Evans or AJ would be the Shark pick here? ODB is a baller but Evans is an upward talent and AJ is due for touchdown regression in his favor this year. 

I'm in the same situation. DJ/Bell/AB will go top 3. The guy in front of me is torn between Julio and Odell. I would be fine with either but was also thinking of taking Mike Evans here too. Its unlikely he'll see the same number of targets this year (175) but his receptions should stay around where they are (96). Winson is still going to throw it up there for Mike to win when he gets in trouble and can also see the addition of DeSean taking away some of the double (and triple) coverage he had seen last year. He's still a monster in the redzone but with OJ Howard offering another big body I can see him losing a few (2 or 3) redzone TDs. I'm probably over thinking this, though, and will end up taking Odell or Julio on the night....but just thought I'd add a little to the discussion. 

McCoy is now on a terrible team and is getting up there in age.  Tyrod is looking terrible.  It seems that the team is trying to dump off talent in order to prepare for a rebuild.  Don't be surprised if they trade McCoy this year while he still has some value.

If Howard is a big risk at the 2/3 turn because he's on a bad team with a bad QB then so should McCoy.

McCoy is now on a terrible team and is getting up there in age.  Tyrod is looking terrible.  It seems that the team is trying to dump off talent in order to prepare for a rebuild.  Don't be surprised if they trade McCoy this year while he still has some value.

If Howard is a big risk at the 2/3 turn because he's on a bad team with a bad QB then so should McCoy.
In-season trades are pretty rare and we're getting pretty close - I don't see McCoy going anywhere.

In-season trades are pretty rare and we're getting pretty close - I don't see McCoy going anywhere.
Not saying it will happen, just that it wouldn't surprise me.  All it takes is for a playoff contention team to lose their starting RB.  Bills have shown they are willing to trade off some of their best players right now.

Julio at 5 after OBJ at 4
Julio is who I'd take over any of the guys listed but I'm assuming the guy picking 4th saw the ODB injury and is gonna grab Julio first. So the worst case scenario question is: 

ODB vs Evans vs AJ. I'm leaning Evans because he's an ascendant talent and his team's strength of schedule vs pass defenses is one of the better ones in the league. 

Why isn't McCoy in this conversation?
He's definitely a consideration but I guess I was talking WR only for the purposes of this thread. That said, I agree with the poster above that I'm not sure Buffalo wants to win anymore. For a first round pick I want to be damn sure that I'm gonna get production...teams are gonna stack the box against Buffalo this year without Sammy drawing attention. The rest of their WR are basically all slot guys. 

He's definitely a consideration but I guess I was talking WR only for the purposes of this thread. That said, I agree with the poster above that I'm not sure Buffalo wants to win anymore. For a first round pick I want to be damn sure that I'm gonna get production...teams are gonna stack the box against Buffalo this year without Sammy drawing attention. The rest of their WR are basically all slot guys. 
I'm can't believe they're going to be that much worse without Sammy Watkins. I think this narrative is being overblown and I believe McCoy will have a fine season. The problem with going WR at 5 is your RB are going to be pretty bad.

shark pick is to take Jordy Nelson at 5. does Julio score td's?? no. Ive been a big Ty Montgomery backer but Im souring on that.enter Rodgers and the passing game..Nelson has shown to be capable of  scoring tds with plenty of  yards and recs to boot.

odb wont sniff 90 recs.not with that giants o-line.not happening. its the 31st ranked o-line only one worse is Indy. stay away..

but seriously consider a rb at this spot. easier to get potential 90 catch wrs like Diggs, Kelvin Benjamin, Cooks later on in drafts  than it is to find a Jordan Howard. no I wouldnt touch McCoy ever. bad team too many career carries ..

Id consider D. Freeman here as well hes  STUD.

depending on your league rules maybe you consider the Ole Standby...Aaron Rodgers.guaranteed money year in and year out..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:
Id consider D. Freeman here as well hes  STUD.
I'm in agreement here...I have 5th as well, and probably going a Freeman due to few stud bellcow RB's this year, and not feeling McCoy or Gordon.

Well OBJ may miss 1-2 games so he's out of the conversation AFAIC. I'm seriously thinking about Freeman as well. The dude is the safest play at RB you can get outside the top 2. Even with Coleman the guy is going to produce.

Hawkeye21 said:

McCoy won't be traded. It saves them only 1million and nobody will want to take on 3 more years of a 29 year old RB making 10+ million.  He'd have to net a 2nd round pick and a young player back.

I'm picking 1.6 and am struggling between McCoy (line is still good, and will catch 50 PPR passes) Beckham missing 1-2 games or Evans.  Freeman hasn't crossed my mind.

ponchsox said:
I'm can't believe they're going to be that much worse without Sammy Watkins. I think this narrative is being overblown and I believe McCoy will have a fine season. The problem with going WR at 5 is your RB are going to be pretty bad.
This.

ponchsox said:
They just don't have that many threats.  Tyrod is not looking good, he comparable to Bortles right now.

They just don't have that many threats.  Tyrod is not looking good, he comparable to Bortles right now.
Rick Dennison's system is a west coast, heavy screen and roll outs.  He looked fine in the first preseason game, terrible in the second.  They haven't ran anything other than 3 step drops.  He's looked fine in camp. Mathews has been hurt and will be ready for Week 1.  Cordy Glenn has been out and will be back per reports for Week 1. If Glenn is out long term then yes, there's an issue as Incognito will be worrying about Henderson at LT.  The guards are fine.  The Bills won't be good but McCoy is still a top 8 fantasy pick and Tyrod is where he should be QB 16-20. I wouldn't count out the Bills trying to bring in another WR or TE once cuts roll out.

Rick Dennison's system is a west coast, heavy screen and roll outs.  He looked fine in the first preseason game, terrible in the second.  They haven't ran anything other than 3 step drops.  He's looked fine in camp. Mathews has been hurt and will be ready for Week 1.  Cordy Glenn has been out and will be back per reports for Week 1. If Glenn is out long term then yes, there's an issue as Incognito will be worrying about Henderson at LT.  The guards are fine.  The Bills won't be good but McCoy is still a top 8 fantasy pick and Tyrod is where he should be QB 16-20. I wouldn't count out the Bills trying to bring in another WR or TE once cuts roll out.
McCoy is still a top 8 pick by default since there are no other obvious players to pick.  His risk level has increased though.

So now ODB might be out 1-2 regular season games. For a stud RB I might put up with that but way too much talent at WR this year to deal with that at pick 5. 

Leaning Evans right now. Dude has megatron build on an upswing offense and now has a better #2 opposite to draw coverage. McCoy = not as good a fit for the new running scheme. AJ is a beast but his Oline is trash and their schedule against pass D is tough this year. 

Picking at 6 and I've never switched my pick considerations more than this year.  I also have not really considered Freeman but I agree its time to dig deeper on that one...

Picking at 6 and I've never switched my pick considerations more than this year.  I also have not really considered Freeman but I agree its time to dig deeper on that one...
With you sir!  It's been pretty crappy.  If you pass on RB in round 1 and 2 what have you been getting?

Agree 100%.  Seem to flip every day.  But I can't help but think starting my draft with possibly 2 RB's (Freeman and Murray) and plucking greater WR value later, is the best way to go.

Agree 100%.  Seem to flip every day.  But I can't help but think starting my draft with possibly 2 RB's (Freeman and Murray) and plucking greater WR value later, is the best way to go.
I only need to start 1RB may punt them all together. What WR would have to be there in the 2nd for you to pass on Murray

Might go WR/TE or WR/QB

I only need to start 1RB may punt them all together. What WR would have to be there in the 2nd for you to pass on Murray

Might go WR/TE or WR/QB
Definitely Jordy, possibly MThomas.  We play in a 2QB league, so they both could possibly be there for me.  After those guys, not sure the other options (Dez, Hilton, Cooper) are appealing enough. 

So now ODB might be out 1-2 regular season games. For a stud RB I might put up with that but way too much talent at WR this year to deal with that at pick 5. 

Leaning Evans right now. Dude has megatron build on an upswing offense and now has a better #2 opposite to draw coverage. McCoy = not as good a fit for the new running scheme. AJ is a beast but his Oline is trash and their schedule against pass D is tough this year. 
Had been doing Beckham there. Took Evans #4 in a draft the night of injury ahead of Julio and AJ. Have a ton of McCoy this year and would normally take him, but Buffalo '17 looks like a tank season and the trade rumors are making me nervous. I've even considered Jordy in there. Roll of the dice IMO.

With you sir!  It's been pretty crappy.  If you pass on RB in round 1 and 2 what have you been getting?
It ain't pretty.  I've had Howard fall to me once at 19 but mostly I'm staring at serious reaches at RB (Lynch, Fournette, Miller, Crowell, etc.) where the value is still at WR, Gronk, maybe QB.

Users who are viewing this thread