What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Dialect Survey/Map (again) (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most accurate.

• 5...almost dead on

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • 4...very close but a little off

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • 3...somewhat close but not great

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 2...not very close at all

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 1....way way off

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Insanely accurate, not surprising given some of the questions.  But, the brick red area signifying most accurate on my map is very small (basically covers 1/3 of the coast of NJ) and my hometown is right in it.

M dark red spreads from Ohio all the way to Nebraska. It knows I'm in the Midwest but not zero'ed in on my area like some of you.

Insanely accurate, not surprising given some of the questions.  But, the brick red area signifying most accurate on my map is very small (basically covers 1/3 of the coast of NJ) and my hometown is right in it.
Bridgeton or Paulsboro?

Last edited by a moderator:
The three cities I was most similar to are Salt Lake City, Tacoma and Modesto.

Other than being three cities I hope never to live in, it was pretty accurate.

ETA:

I went through it a second time and got slightly different questions. That time the three cities were Seattle, Tacoma and Portland.

Pretty amazing.

Map said Boise, salt lake but the red covered most of the United States for me so I must be a combo. Spent whole life in Oregon, I gave it a 4.

I don't know how to interpret this.  The area it picked is clear across the country from where I grew up, but the area I grew up in is also marked pretty dark orange/red.  I guess 4?

Nailed me from NJ.  Also found it interesting that there's a yellow patch in New Mexico (although everything else west of the Mississippi is blue), which makes sense because my wife is from NM and I've probably picked up some of her dialect.

My three cities:

- San Antonio, TX

- Irving, TX

- Springfield, MO

The red area covers most of TX and goes up through OK, AR, KS, NE, MO, IA, IL and a little bit into IN and OH. I grew up in OH and now live in Dallas. It was pretty close, sort of a mix of how I used to talk and how I talk now. The best example is growing up in OH I called it 'pop' but after living in CA and TX I now call it 'soda'.

From Western PA originally, which is barely orange on this.  According to this map I'm from Alabama, since it's is angrily red around Mobile/the FL panhandle. *shrug*

lol, funny one was "what do you call the night before Halloween". I thought everyone called that Mischief Night

It didn't pick up on me, but I didn't really expect it to. I've picked up all sort of different things from moving over the years, I think I would be tough to nail down on something like this.

Some of the phrases were off the wall, especially the raining during sunshine one. Have never heard of any of those.

huh, never heard it called that before

always thought a berm was a raised mound/ridge in the ground.  Arthur Kent told me that during Desert Storm.
That's what it is.

A strip of grass in the middle of the road or between the road and sidewalk could be a berm, if it featured a raised mound/ridge.

Users who are viewing this thread