What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indy's Linebacker Mess (1 Viewer)

winterrules03

Footballguy
Any idea who's gonna get the starting nod for Indy?  I read in one of the articles on here a while back that it was going to be Jon Bostic and Morrison.  But neither played in the first preseason game and I haven't watched the 2nd game yet.  Was hoping after that I would have a better idea as Indy's linebackers have been pretty friendly to me in the past.  Here's the list of guys I'm watching currently:

Jon Bostic:  Being a Bears fan, he never impressed me in Chicago.

Edwin Jackson:  He was pretty decent last year as far as tackles

Sean Spence:  Has never seemed to be able to lock down a 3 down role (Steelers and Titans)

Antonio Morrison:  I thought he was going to be the guy last year and didn't do much with his opportunities last year

Anthony Walker:  Don't know much about him

Luke Rhodes:  I'm hearing Pagano loves this guy

Rhodes had a nice stat line in the last game, but not sure when he played. I have yet to really watch that game. I grabbed Bostic in one league just thinking athletically he may be the best, talent wise they may be pretty equal and Indy needs some athletes on that D. Bostic had a broken finger I think and that's why he had limited action. 

I was able to watch the game last night and Bostic and Morrison started.  Bostic was pulled during the 2nd Dallas position.  I think that was because Dallas was gashing the Colts for 12 yard runs over and over and he wasn't even close to a tackle.  He looked out of position on almost every play.  I thought Morrison looked decent but he wasn't really getting it down either.  I'm just as confused after watching the game and I think taking a shot on any of these guys is risky.

One thing I did notice was Matthias Farley got the start at SS and looked to be in the box quite a bit.  That may have been because Indy couldn't stop Dallas on the ground.  But the Colts SS has been good in the past for tackles. 

I don't look at pre-season stat lines because they are much more of a function of when/how long they played than how good they are.  I plan to just carry them all then when someone looks like they are taking the lead, I will pump and dump.  Walker is the only one I'm remotely interested in holding onto long term.

Bostic has the green sticker on his helmet indicating he is calling the D.  Morrison is the 2 down thumper.  As of right now, those are your two ILBs.  I don't know why they don't have Edwin Jackson started.  Whenever I see him he is flying all over the field making tackles.  Spence has been hurt like all camp.  I haven't seen him at all.  Either way, this may be a group to avoid.  Could be an ugly platoon committee like the Patriots RBs.  But the best of the bunch is Edwin in my eyes.  For what it is worth, John Simon has found a home.  They really like him here in Indy and he's been making plays from the outside.  He will be one of the starting OLBs...probably Sheard as the other.

Yep it's a search for who will play 3 downs.  This is a perfect scenario, because offenses will feed the RB when the other LB's aren't very good, and with no Luck offenses will be able to play a conservative run attack and run it down their throats.  This D should give up plenty of first downs and be on the field a ton, so a lot of tackles available.  What's the term for a positive catch-22, because that's what this is.

Yep it's a search for who will play 3 downs.  This is a perfect scenario, because offenses will feed the RB when the other LB's aren't very good, and with no Luck offenses will be able to play a conservative run attack and run it down their throats.  This D should give up plenty of first downs and be on the field a ton, so a lot of tackles available.  What's the term for a positive catch-22, because that's what this is.
A virtuous circle?

Pretty sure I'm going to roster Bostic as a 7th LB in favor of a couple longer shots at other positions who I'm just itching to keep.   I'm seeing a ton of opportunity there and could easily see him as a LB3 with upside.  All reports so far on him this year have been very favorable and PFF has some data in him that favors him in a 3 down role.  Big sleeper here IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure I'm going to roster Bostic as a 7th LB in favor of a couple longer shots at other positions who I'm just itching to keep.   I'm seeing a ton of opportunity there and could easily see him as a LB3 with upside.  All reports so far on him this year have been very favorable and PFF has some data in him that favors him in a 3 down role.  Big sleeper here IMO.
Ssssssh ;)

:thanks:

could another athletic sleeper be Jelani Jenkins in Oakland, if Corey James is not what they think he is? I have Bostic, C James and Jenkins all for the upside, but will need to shed one before week 1. Jenkins is right now the guy I will cut.

I dropped Jenkins last year...being a kneeler and all.  I want guys on my team that I can root for.

I actually have had Jackson on my dyno roster and just cut Bostic for my preseason cuts last week. Even with him on my IR, I'm tempted to cut bait and be done with this headache.

A mess of a situation, constantly changing starters, and it's not like any of them are even average quality players anyway. On any other team, all of these guys would be coming off the bench.

The Colts situation this entire preseason was like shooting at a moving target....and you're right that Morrison and Bostic are JAG, but Jackson's IR clarifies the situation slightly. Additionally this is a BAD team (especially without Luck for possibly handful of games) and sometimes opportunity trumps talent. And there is opportunity here as this Colts defense is in line for high snap counts, facing heavy dose of the run most 4th quarters and plenty of tackle opportunities. Someone has to tackle the ball carrier and if you can take a free swing on Bostic off the waiver wire or in the last round in deep leagues I think he might be a steal. If he starts hot early, he can always be flipped to an owner  thin at the position. If he doesn't pay off you cut ties and move on.... Simply put, if he's on the wire he might be worth a 1-3 week investment in leagues with deeper benches.

This is the fundamental paradox of IDP.

Very often defensive players who are not particularly talented in real life can be very valuable in IDP terms because of their situation.

As the previous poster noted, bad teams will tend to get run on, and thus a three down LB like Bostic on a team like the Colts could turn out to have very nice value, quite uncorrelated to their actual talent. 

Yeah, eek.  Bostic probably has the most upside since he won't come off the field unlike Morrison.

I was a big Jackson fan last season, but looks like he won't figure into the mix at least for now.

I have Morrison and Walker in a couple leagues and holding Jackson in another.

We'll see what happens.... there are stats to be had here.

I specifically remember last year Indy blew up their LB plans after a week or two. It wouldn't surprise me if a LB not on the team leads them in decent fantasy games this season.

Think I'd rather go after their SS.

massraider said:
I specifically remember last year Indy blew up their LB plans after a week or two. It wouldn't surprise me if a LB not on the team leads them in decent fantasy games this season.

I held Jelani Jenkins in two leagues specifically for Indy.

massraider said:

Any Indy followers know which safety has the most IDP value?

Darius Butler is playing strong safety (converted CB).  Even though I am in Indy and listen to sports talk religiously, Farley is never mentioned.  Just Hooker and TJ Green.  They say Green needs more time and shouldn't be given up on yet.  Seems like he will be given opportunities when healthy.  High expectations for Hooker, but dude is always hurt.  Either way, with as horrible as their front 7 are, those Safeties seem to be in line for lots of stats...whomever plays.

Official depth chart has Fairley as starting SS with Green as backup. They were using him like they intended to use Gaethers in the preseason. I'm rolling with him in one league where TB/MIA screwed me.

Jeremiah George.  Though they just resigned Spence.  George has been the topic of discussion on local sports talk.

Why was Morrison inactive last week? Injury related? And if not, will we see more of Jeremiah George this week. Bostic has proven to be a decent floor guy to hold as injuries to the LB position continue to pile up and with bye weeks on the horizon. I'm just wondering who will be next to him in case he goes down at some point. I think most believed that was Morrison before last week. Does his inactive status or the play of Journeyman George change anyone's opinion?

I am rostering them all except Spence.  They are all cheap and someone's going to pop. 
Glad I followed my own advice.

I don't look at pre-season stat lines because they are much more of a function of when/how long they played than how good they are.  I plan to just carry them all then when someone looks like they are taking the lead, I will pump and dump.  Walker is the only one I'm remotely interested in holding onto long term.
Now, how good is Bostic?  He's 26 and he's putting up borderline LB1 numbers.  Am I looking to flip him (he's on an expiring contract) or is he legit and I need to set aside some cash to keep him?  Anyone have access to PFF grades?

Last edited by a moderator:

Now, how good is Bostic?  He's 26 and he's putting up borderline LB1 numbers.  Am I looking to flip him (he's on an expiring contract) or is he legit and I need to set aside some cash to keep him?  Anyone have access to PFF grades?
I think he is a function of a terrible Colts team for this year.  I don't think he is anything special but is getting the volume that puts him as a LB1 for this year.  I would have no issue flipping him for future assets.

He's LB24 in my league, and actually LB46 in points per game.   I was thrilled to cut him outright when Perryman returned from IR.  He looks slow and lacking in instincts.

Users who are viewing this thread